Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 14:01   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Before concluding your comparison, please make sure you are not confused b/w turn lights and fog lights.
The one that Safari and Storme has on its front bumper is "fog" lights, not the turn lights.
Nice one Kavi. IMHO this fog light is also looks good in round. I do not know why 800 will come into picture comparing with Safari. This Storme is definitely not overdone but enhanced with present gen Safari. Still it get Macho feeling in the car and interiors are no doubts improved a lot.

Tyres at rear door has lots of drawbacks like squeaks, lifting and taking out tyre from door etc. I personally like it underbody and it gives elegant feeling to entire car.

Look like in India it is very difficult for people to deviate from legacy design.
Old 6th January 2012, 14:02   #122
Senior - BHPian

Nice coverage, Thanks a ton Rush, its great being able to see these pics from the comfort of one's Office instead of having to fight the crowds

Overall, I see improvement in the interiors & I hope that the driveability of the vehicle has improved, we'll know more once the Official TD happens! As far as the looks are concerned - well, mixed feelings here, I like certain portions whereas I feel certain others could have been better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rotary controls for the air-conditioner are nice to use:
And still no Climate Control, what are they thinking

Quote:
Also, in the Safari Storme, a CD can actually be ejected / loaded in 3rd gear (existing Safari owners will know what I'm talking about ):
ROTFL!

Quote:
TSK says that the rear air-con now looks properly fitted, and not like the earlier Safari’s after-market look:
And I heartily agree! Looks way better than the existing one. Have they improved the finish on the rear floor vents though?

And last but not the least, I'm really glad to see that they haven't converted this into a soft-roader but have retained the 4H-4L option!

Last edited by suman : 6th January 2012 at 14:09.
Old 6th January 2012, 14:02   #123
BHPian

And existing owners, please answer this! What's the CD change thing that GTO is speaking of?[/quote]

It means that now, you can engage the 3rd gear and simultaneously change the CD... earlier it was not possible because the CD tray wud just not eject fully due to no room between the gear knob ( when engaged in 3rd gear) and the CD tray.... Better ergonomics here!!!
Old 6th January 2012, 14:07   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Before concluding your comparison, please make sure you are not confused b/w turn lights and fog lights.
The one that Safari and Storme has on its front bumper is "fog" lights, not the turn lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
No Kaviprem.I think he's talking about the 'done-up safari' which is having the arb bumpers which GTO has posted in the first page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Nice one Kavi. IMHO this fog light is also looks good in round. I do not know why 800 will come into picture comparing with Safari.
I have attached the same pic GTO had posted in the first page, with the light I am talking about highlighted in a yellow circle. I sincerely hope they are not fog lights, and I do honestly think they remind me of the turn indicators I had on my M800.

Anuj, I hope no one else mistakes my remembering the turn indicators on the M800 to a comparison being made between the Safari and the M800.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-tata_safari_modded.jpg  

Old 6th January 2012, 14:22   #125
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to Tata to get this Storme and sad because they broke our hearts by changing the Rugged and Original looks of Tata Safari

Quote:
Interiors have a long list of improvements,

Dash plastics have improved. TSK says its more "car like" now:
100% TRUE

The Safari interiors has improved a lot and would love to see such interiors in the older Safari, as the exterior look has been totally gone wrong by removing the spare wheel from the rare.

Quote:
Also, in the Safari Storme, a CD can actually be ejected / loaded in 3rd gear (existing Safari owners will know what I'm talking about ):

Quote:
The Safari Storme would look great from outside with these fittings on it and The Old Safari will be The King for ever
Old 6th January 2012, 14:26   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I have attached the same pic GTO had posted in the first page, with the light I am talking about highlighted in a yellow circle. I sincerely hope they are not fog lights, and I do honestly think they remind me of the turn indicators I had on my M800.

Anuj, I hope no one else mistakes my remembering the turn indicators on the M800 to a comparison being made between the Safari and the M800.
In the link image, the storme looks like a perfect slaughterhouse. Ssooo butchery, intimidating, frightening etc etc etc.
I am felling short of words describing this.

Last edited by turbo_delight : 6th January 2012 at 14:27.
Old 6th January 2012, 14:42   #127
BHPian

Overall I feel this car still has the elegant looks and I love it. What I am worrying about is that Safari was always compared to Scorpio and with past experience from Mahindra I feel they will do something extraordinary when they launch new version of Scorpio and then Safari will again will fall short of equipment, expectation.
For a Safari enthusiast these are very good changes but for bussiness I think Tata needs to think revolutionary.
Old 6th January 2012, 14:48   #128
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What exactly is new about the interiors which is a significant improvement over the current Safari, and not just change for change's sake?

The bump on the roof AC is still the same - only covered with fabric.

The dash is nothing radically different - neither is it better in any significant way. Oh yes, the deck is placed so that one can get CDs out in 3rd gear - after 15 years (jeez!). Not to mention 1990s level of equipment/gadgetry (can't help commenting on that - kids love gadgets and other cool "features"!).

So what exactly is the "better interiors" that we keep hearing and reading about?
Trust me the Interiors are actually much better than the current one in terms of the quality of materials and ergonomics as well.

The sad bit is that this is not really loaded with features (like the XUV) but interior quality is actually more or less what we would expect in the price point that it is now expected to come at and for an SUV type vehicle. (of course for the price.)

Could they have done better - hell yes - Climate controls, Integrated 2 Din Infortainment, steering mounted controls, MID, Auto lights, wipers etc.

But this is still the best safari ever, They should though have had a darker shade option for the interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smopuri View Post
Please can someone clarify if Tata Safari Storme is same as Merlin? Or is Merlin the internal code name and Storme the final release product name?
Yes this "Safari Storm" is the Merlin. Merlin was internal code name.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 14:57   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
interior quality is actually more or less what we would expect in the price point that it is now expected to come at
ACM, approximately what is the price point expected at (ex showroom)?

Quote:
But this is still the best safari ever
A very loaded statement coming from a Safari owner. Please share with us what you know!
Old 6th January 2012, 15:06   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But this is still the best safari ever, They should though have had a darker shade option for the interiors.
+1, this is truly the best Safari ever in my opinion. I was never a big fan of the fifth wheel hanging on the door. Find it much better under the car. The headlamps are gorgeous, Frontal looks are more sober and sedate as compared to XUV, The Dash neat. On the missing things the 2Din Infotainment is the only thing i might miss the rest like (Stearing mounted controls, Auto Lights, Wipers) i can live without. I guess the MID is there, maybe we need to wait for the Official test drive.

The other thing i liked is it retained the true blue off-roading capability and not soft roader.
Old 6th January 2012, 15:34   #131
BHPian

As an owner of a 2006 3.0 Dicor model, I am really disappointed by the new Safari. It is funny that a car which looked so perfect and ahead of its time 12 years ago has been gradually ruined to look mundane and ordinary.
CarCynic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 15:38   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could they have done better - hell yes - Climate controls, Integrated 2 Din Infortainment, steering mounted controls, MID, Auto lights, wipers etc.
They do appear to have audio controls behind the steering wheel as pointed out on another post. And the Mode button does indicate some MID presence somewhere though not the kind of screen we were looking for.
Old 6th January 2012, 15:39   #133
Senior - BHPian

The Storme is a great progression from the present generation Safari. Tata have freshened up its looks and also taken care of its biggest gripe, the interiors.

All said and done the make or break factor will be pricing. After the price increase, the basic XUV 2WD now costs north of 12 lacs OTR.

If Tata can price the Storme 4WD variants approx 2 lacs cheaper it will be a game changer in the segment. Fingers crossed they wont do an Aria again!!
Old 6th January 2012, 15:41   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
They do appear to have audio controls behind the steering wheel as pointed out on another post. And the Mode button does indicate some MID presence somewhere though not the kind of screen we were looking for.
I guess the Mode switch is for the Audio (Radio/CD/USB) & not MID.
Old 6th January 2012, 16:24   #135
BHPian

I see many old safari users extremely disappointed. The front is no doubt inspired by LR and so is the interior and steering wheel. very functional. they should definitely have included goodies like acc, infotainment, steering mounted controls, bluetooth connectivity etc. The competition offers it at the same price level so this would be a major negative.

The rear is extremely bland and infact the bumper looks out of place. I feel it should have been a bit smaller which enabled the tires to be seen. this feels like sumo grande's rear.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed