Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 21:09   #166
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

"Toned Down"? IMHO "Let Down" is more like it!
The first four pictures really rub it in:How do I put it?

National Geographic enthusiasts, (who would invariably be SUV Lovers too), could say: If earlier the Safari was a Monster Croc, now it looks like a baby freshwater Gharial from the Gangetic plains.

Allow me to use my entitlement of two smileys:

Though the pics posted later would like to show there could still be hope for the Storme. But its first looks are not impressive if you ask me!

Last edited by abhi413 : 6th January 2012 at 21:19.
Old 6th January 2012, 21:25   #167
BHPian

For new time buyers (aka fanboys) - they have a choice between 2 models - a tough one . Its form (2.2 dicor) vs function (Storme)

For new time buyers (aka general public ) - Provided they zero in on safari, the price point (as usual) will be deciding factor between dicor / storme.

For existing users - Its a tough choice. The old look has so grown on them, it would be hard to upgrade. Those tired of niggles, will upgrade.

Who are you?
quadra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 21:25   #168
Senior - BHPian

have a look at this video. be it dash or the door pads. the plastics are the best from tata. they are very elegant and good quality. the dash is simple, elegant and roomy.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 22:24   #169
Senior - BHPian

If they worked on this facelift for so long, why the heck they did not work on the interiors? Why this dumb and old school layout
Old 6th January 2012, 22:48   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Tyres at rear door has lots of drawbacks like squeaks, lifting and taking out tyre from door etc. I personally like it underbody and it gives elegant feeling to entire car.
Toyota RAV 4 and Honda CRV had tyres at the back couple of generations back. It is a general trend and better design.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 22:59   #171
xvk

That is the most awful design upgrade ever !!

ewww my eyes hurt..

how can the top guys at TATA approve this !
xvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 00:35   #172
Senior - BHPian

@teamveevee,

The sparewheel moved from the tailgate to the underbody also helps in centralizing the mass. A full size SUV spare wheel can be close to 20 kgs. Sadly the Indian market still relates the tailgate mounted spare wheel as a sign of macho-ism, while in rest of the world its circa 90s.

Almost every modern SUV has ditched the tailgate mounted spare wheel, M-class, Range Rovers, X 1 3 5 6, Audis, Japanese soft roaders (Rav4, CRV etc..) even the Land cruiser.
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 00:44   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
@teamveevee,

The sparewheel moved from the tailgate to the underbody also helps in centralizing the mass. A full size SUV spare wheel can be close to 20 kgs. Sadly the Indian market still relates the tailgate mounted spare wheel as a sign of macho-ism, while in rest of the world its circa 90s.
Good point,not to mention the extra strengthening,materials needed and rattling.on a lighter note those adamant about it should get an option of dummy light weight wheel cover.
Old 7th January 2012, 01:29   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

I see a lot of people cribbing about the after market unit. C'Mon, today we have very few cars where we are satisfied with the quality of the normal integrated 1-DIN or 2-DIN systems and we replace the OEM unit with an aftermarket brand in almost NO time. Here as far as I understand TATA gives an Alpine DVD unit [a very good one - 9887 ??] which costs like 25K or so and sounds brilliant. And people have a problem with that too? I for one prefer a GOOD aftermarket brand for an average OEM look equipment. If we get a good quality OEM look stuff, all the better.

On the CD insertion part in 1st, 3rd & 5th gear, let's look at it from a security perspective - what if TATA doesn't want the driver to insert a CD when the car is in motion? The idea could be that CD operation should be done when the vehicle is idle. I know some one is going to tell me that there will be navigators and they will do the operations and all. But let's agree that XUV 500 doesn't play videos unless handbrake is engaged & we all laud this "security feature". XUV 500 also can have navigators & co-passengers who love to see video when the vehicle is in motion right? Well, I would say TATA achieved it with much lesser complications. [Fun intended for most part of the "CD insertion" feature & I agree ergonomics is bad; but I personally dont feel any grudge. If the driver needs to insert a CD, it should be when the car is idle!]

My observations on Storme:
  • I LOVE the video - another master piece from TATA!
  • In certain shots / angles, the Safari looks like the Santa Fe [the bonnet part] and I guess that's because of the reflection on the chrome strip on the bonnet.
  • The brown shade in the video suits the car well - I am not able to digest the white color on the Storme though.
  • I don't dislike the Storme design, but prefer the current shape.
  • Hope the internal quality, fit & finish, stability, ride & handling have all improved vastly in addition to the reliability.
Features of Storme:

Could any current owners of Safari do a feature comparison with the ones shown in the video? Is there any substantial additions? From what I remember Storme has,
  • Power folding mirrors
  • Pull type grab handles
  • Hydraulic power steering [current one is EPS?]
  • IRVM integrated Reverse assist
  • Electronic low ratio selector (?) [Current one is manual I believe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
Good point,not to mention the extra strengthening,materials needed and rattling.on a lighter note those adamant about it should get an option of dummy light weight wheel cover.
Something which I was thinking in terms of - either a dummy wheel cover or dummy low weight rubber/plastic spare wheel to give the looks. The tail gate won't rattle; neither will the weight distribution suffer I hope!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th January 2012 at 01:32.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 02:09   #175
Senior - BHPian

@ Swiftnfurious,

While I fully agree with your observations the biggest issue here is that everyone is judging the Storme (I am not a fan of that name) on the basis of its cosmetic changes.

The biggest advantage the Storme has over the present gen Safari is that its based on the newer gen X2 platform (same as the Aria). This should ideally mean that the Storme will be far better to drive than the Safari. Also the X2 platform is both safer and supposedly lighter (a fully loaded Aria AWD is nearly 100 kgs lighter than the comparable Safari). If this package delivers the Storme will easily be the best SUV one can buy within 10 lacs.

Most bhpians unfortunately are unaware of this and have passed judgements simply looking at pictures of the Storme's front end.

The deciding factor will really be a thorough Team BHP review (no pressure guys!!) and last but not the least Tata's pricing. Fingers crossed.....
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 02:35   #176
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I think this is a great upgrade. I guess I don't care about the macho appeal of the spare wheel cover on the back, it just seems unimportant compared to having a rattle prone tailgate. Not to mention the effort required earlier to close the tailgate. For all the negative comments about the styling, I personally prefer the Safari over the XUV. It's a design that is understated, quite the way I like it.

If the Safari is as good to drive as the Aria, and is reliable (I think this time it definitely will be), this is a worthy upgrade.

The only thing I am not happy about is the name, i.e. the Storme monicker. Which in the grand (should it be Grande?) scheme of things, is quite unimportant.
Amartya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 03:54   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Much better. It gives the headlight glass a rectangular chunky look, smoothens out the grotesque chrome lip overhang of the bonnet, and straightens out the smile of the lower edge of the grille-bumper interface.

Maybe Inder could even try fitting in the classic fog lamps - the recess in the bumper is still in the same shape in-spite of the tiny round ones fitted.

Wish real life were as easy as photoshop though

Guys any photos of the middle row yet? Most important area for family!
Here we go...put the fog lamps of current Safari
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-safari-strome-2.jpg  

inder_s1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 04:28   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
My observations on Storme:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
the biggest issue here is that everyone is judging the Storme (I am not a fan of that name) on the basis of its cosmetic changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Personally, I think this is a great upgrade.
Totally agree with you guys.

I remember how everyone had declared XUV's face horrendous when the final spy pics were out. No one could actually digest that a production ready vehicle will have a face like that.

And then, there it was - launched with the exact same face and a price nobody had imagined. Suddenly, everyone could live with the 'radical' front.

I hope the mods come up with a review soon and put to rest all the doubts/concerns/speculations.

Oh and pricing would be the key for TATA too - the only thing that can transform this from a patchwork job to a great effort.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 7th January 2012 at 04:30.
Old 7th January 2012, 09:05   #179
Senior - BHPian

If the handling. built quality, braking is improved, I will buy one again!

Mine has crossed 96k and each time I floor it, priceless!

I guess we all are used to the decade old design; many of us grew up seeing it. Some expected very aggressive design coz X500 design comes to your mind when you think big SUV.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 09:06   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I see a lot of people cribbing about the after market unit. C'Mon, today we have very few cars where we are satisfied with the quality of the normal integrated 1-DIN or 2-DIN systems and we replace the OEM unit with an aftermarket brand in almost NO time.
I would still prefer a 2 Din unit or atleast a slot for one.

2 Din units have a lot of advantages, namely DVD compatibility, reverse camera compatibility, touch screen & the likes.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks