Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 13:56   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
[*]Ground clearance reduced - by 5 mm (-)
I thought that the ground clearance has been increased to 200mm from 190 or something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Also a BlueMe and Climate control should have been added , its not a value-ad but a basic requirement in todays time.
As a consolation, the Alpine head-unit pictured on the first page has bluetooth and voice dialling. Not sure, but maybe they've integrated that into the RHS stalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You are absolutely right. I made a list of parts shared, and not shared

I have not even started, and you can see that the new safari is already 60% different.
I know you're being sarcastic, which isn't really necessary. Most of us haven't been to the Auto expo, and are relying on second hand info. You are disappointed in the new Safari - join the club! Anyway, the second hand info I had was that Storme uses the Aria chassis, and it has coil springs up front and (somehow related to these) better dynamics?
Old 9th January 2012, 14:07   #242
BHPian

a bit off topic query. How do we pronounce "storme" ? Is it "storm" or is it "Stomy" ? ( as in tommy) ?.
reason why I am asking is, yesterday, a leading "mallu" newspaper carried an article on new safari storme and they were calling it as "storme" (like you pronounce "tommy") :-)

Last edited by joecherian : 9th January 2012 at 14:13.
Old 9th January 2012, 14:12   #243
Senior - BHPian

The "e" is silent man. Otherwise it would have been Sumo "Grandy" as well?

@ tsk1979 please

1) Contrary to the company literature, do the displayed Stormes at the Expo have rear disks?

2) Is the middle bench fixed/pivoted or is it on rails as well (like the front row captain seats)?

3) Did you check out the rear compartment and the jump seats? Is there more headroom and/or height from floor and are the seats wider than the current Safari?

Last edited by ebonho : 9th January 2012 at 14:18.
Old 9th January 2012, 14:56   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
But somebody earlier said that the Chassis and Drive train are from Aria. Who is right here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I thought that the ground clearance has been increased to 200mm from 190 or something like that?

As a consolation, the Alpine head-unit pictured on the first page has bluetooth and voice dialling. Not sure, but maybe they've integrated that into the RHS stalk.

I know you're being sarcastic, which isn't really necessary. Most of us haven't been to the Auto expo, and are relying on second hand info. You are disappointed in the new Safari - join the club! Anyway, the second hand info I had was that Storme uses the Aria chassis, and it has coil springs up front and (somehow related to these) better dynamics?
Sorry about the sarcasm. I was expecting Aria improvements. I specifically spoke to the gentlemen posted there and they said
No Dual mass flywheel. Old engine and drivertrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The "e" is silent man. Otherwise it would have been Sumo "Grandy" as well?

@ tsk1979 please

1) Contrary to the company literature, do the displayed Stormes at the Expo have rear disks?

2) Is the middle bench fixed/pivoted or is it on rails as well (like the front row captain seats)?

3) Did you check out the rear compartment and the jump seats? Is there more headroom and/or height from floor and are the seats wider than the current Safari?
the changes are cosmetic, and maybe some tweaks to suspension.
One of the safari's there(modded) indeed had disc brakes. So this version may get all 4 discs. Which is good news.
The middle bench seemed to be fixed. As for the rear seats, they are slightly wider, but not much changes to headroom etc.,

I sincerely hope they have tweaked the suspension.

I actually GOT UNDER the vehicle to inspect suspension. The sump guards are nicer, and she has got dual exhausts. The tie rod setup seems to be same as before. But suspension tuning can be unobvious, so I won't comment on that unless I drive it.

However, Tata was very clear that old and new safari will be sold side by side.

So I wonder how will they price
Safari old
Safari storme
Aria 4x2

3 vehicles in same price bracket?

Will the storme really bring in customers from Mahindra fold, or merely, draw away Aria and old safari customers, is something only time will tell.
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 15:10   #245
Senior - BHPian

If TATA is serious about sales volume versus margin, then

The Safari Classic (prefer that to "old" ) will need to undercut the Scorpio variant for variant and try for a serious piece of the 4000+ pieces per month pie

The Aria will need to seriously undercut the Innova variant for variant (features or not) to try for a serious piece of that 4000+ pieces per month pie

Safari Storme will then need to slot in within the middle ground - provided it proves to be more than just the same old wine in a less attractive new bottle.
Old 9th January 2012, 15:27   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
However, Tata was very clear that old and new safari will be sold side by side.
Very interesting! If this proved to be true, might we just be looking at the "Safari Classic" at a 6.5-8.5L bracket ? That'll shake things up!
Old 9th January 2012, 15:32   #247
Senior - BHPian

Apparently, the variants will be LX, LXa, EX, VX, and VXp.

All variants from LXa and above get ABS and EBD.

Airbags only for VX and VXp.

All variants get electrical rear glass demister.

The EX has the fog lamps, rear wash and wiper, roof mounted AC, and driver/co-driver armrests over the LX and LXa.

Only VX and VXp get 4x4 option.

VXp has reverse guide system and full leather seats with Safari embossing extra over VX.

Colors: Sardinia Red (maroonish), Pearl White, Arctic White, Astern Black, Urban Bronze, Pearl Champagne, Arctic Silver

No info on color combinations variant-wise for bumpers and side cladding.

The weight (non 4x4) at 2050 kgs apparently remains unchanged?

Last edited by ebonho : 9th January 2012 at 15:56.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 16:11   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently, the variants will be LX, LXa, EX, VX, and VXp.

All variants from LXa and above get ABS and EBD.
Slightly

Not sure how the variant wise features will be in the post-Storme hierarchy, but one change they should really consider is adding fog lamps and a demister to LX. They can remove the indicators on the ORVMs to accommodate this cost, if need be. This would really make the LX hard to beat at the price it's offered. Yes, the lack of roof mounted AC in the LX does make life difficult for people occupying the jump seats, but I guess most Safari owners anyway use the vehicle with <= 5 people in it and the floor mounted AC should be sufficient for them.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 9th January 2012, 16:12   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Only VX and VXp get 4x4 option.
Do not be sad. At the Expo, the 4x4 parked had EX badging. So Tata may offer 4x4 from EX onwards.

If they can give 4x4 with LX version, it will make a great buy, as the cheapest scorpio 4x4 costs 9.2L ex showroom Delhi.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:53   #250
BHPian

Tried comparing side profiles of storme and 2.2 dicor.

Putting it up on the forum for benefit of other members. Comments welcome. Please avoid comparing sizes as these photos are from two different cameras and at different angles.

Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-safari-comparo.jpg

Dicor 2.2 photo is taken from ownership thread of mayuresh

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ownership.html.
deepaktpatil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 18:12   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Yes, the lack of roof mounted AC in the LX does make life difficult for people occupying the jump seats, but I guess most Safari owners anyway use the vehicle with <= 5 people in it and the floor mounted AC should be sufficient for them.
Cheers,
Vikram
We never felt for roof mounted AC in Safari LX even in hot temperature. Available AC in Safari LX is powerful enough to cool down till last. But, to get extra cooling roof mounted AC is required.
Old 9th January 2012, 18:12   #252
Senior - BHPian

Just highlighting points from TML's press release, relating to improvements in the Storme that might not be as visible as the exteriors/interiors:
  • The engine is mated to a smooth-shifting 5-speed manual transmission, G-76 MarkII (dont know what exactly are the improvements compared to the present G76).
  • The best-in-class turning circle radius of 5.4 metres and a New rack & pinion steering system also offers excellent feel and accuracy.
  • The rigid ladder frame construction with hydro-formed long members has improved the structural strength of the vehicle.
  • The new Tata Safari Storme comes with disc brakes on all four wheels and has 4 channel ABS with EBD. (not sure all variants)
From these changes the biggest improvement must be the drive-ability and handling, especially due to a more stiffer chassis. Well one can only confirm after a test drive....cant wait!!

source:Tata Motors : Media : Press Releases
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 18:45   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
  • The best-in-class turning circle radius of 5.4 metres and a New rack & pinion steering system also offers excellent feel and accuracy.
  • The rigid ladder frame construction with hydro-formed long members has improved the structural strength of the vehicle.
  • The new Tata Safari Storme comes with disc brakes on all four wheels and has 4 channel ABS with EBD. (not sure all variants)
The turning circle radius has been a big issue for Safari owners for a long time, and this alone will make it easier to live with - especially in the city.

Hydro-formed long members = Aria chassis? Question because I'm not sure whether the existing Safari's chassis can be made Hydro-formed. I was under the impression that hydro-forming was done to increase strength while reducing the weight of the chassis.

All four wheel disc brakes is also a big deal. If it is offered across the range it would be best. If not, at least on the models with ABS+EBD standard (EX onwards, if previous comments are to be considered).

All in all, some compensation for the looks. Now for a reliability check which unfortunately (with Tata) only time will tell.
Old 9th January 2012, 19:36   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Just highlighting points from TML's press release, relating to improvements in the Storme that might not be as visible as the exteriors/interiors:
  • The engine is mated to a smooth-shifting 5-speed manual transmission, G-76 MarkII (dont know what exactly are the improvements compared to the present G76).
From these changes the biggest improvement must be the drive-ability and handling, especially due to a more stiffer chassis. Well one can only confirm after a test drive....cant wait!!

This is awesome. Disk brakes + smaller Turning radius + better gear ratios for city driving + Better suspension. Features good enough to get the beast.

As we have discussed over and over , looks can be changed to an extent by the fans. When I was working on changing the color of the vehicle, I observed Black camouflages the smiley face to a large extent. Will try the current Safari colors on it to see how it looks . Hope it is true in flesh.
Old 9th January 2012, 19:59   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Tried comparing side profiles of storme and 2.2 dicor.

Putting it up on the forum for benefit of other members. Comments welcome. Please avoid comparing sizes as these photos are from two different cameras and at different angles.

Attachment 868094

Dicor 2.2 photo is taken from ownership thread of mayuresh

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ownership.html.
Thanks for these 2 photos.
I thought, the current Safari is a cleaner design without unnecessary curves and lines. I am proven wrong
The new design is even better and looks sleek and neat in side profile.
The entire set of cladding starting from front bumper to the rear wheel is too nice and blending very well and looks neat, a "no non-sense design", I would say.

Thanks again Deepak !
Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks