Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2012, 18:15   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
4x4addict : SUV doesn't have to be a 7 seater. But if they have third row it has to be front facing as per current. EU Safetly laws.
So it was possible to sell it without the side-facing seats ?

Quote:
bblost : I think its more to do with taxation structure than with any specific rule.
India specific ? Does EU follow India-style norms, or US style norms (gas guzzlers attract higher taxes) ?
Old 11th March 2012, 18:28   #512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

India specific ? Does EU follow India-style norms, or US style norms (gas guzzlers attract higher taxes) ?
Condor, I was talking about why in India, the manufacturers like to cram in space for 7 people, so they can get away with poor pollution norms.
Old 11th March 2012, 21:45   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Yes, there are many 5 Seater SUVs sold in Europe.
Old 11th March 2012, 21:49   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Correct. So the side-facing seats was not a show stopper in selling the Safari there. They could have easily removed the seats & sold it as a 5 seater.
Old 11th March 2012, 22:22   #515
BHPian

Update! Today in the evening around 6:00 PM I was in Pimpri market (at delux chowk) when I saw a totaly uncovered Safari Strome (White color similar to the one posted on the firstpage of this thread) passing by. Even before I could take out my camera, the car was gone.

I could only see the rear portion of the vehicle and guess what? The last row were not front facing. I could only see two rows. So either the jump seats/front facing seats were not installed at all OR they were just plain jump seats which were not visible. :(

It some how didn't give that "New Model" feeling. Just felt like the old safari with no spare tyre. Don't know how it looked from the front though.
Old 11th March 2012, 23:38   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Correct. So the side-facing seats was not a show stopper in selling the Safari there. They could have easily removed the seats & sold it as a 5 seater.
Instead of being stubborn, why don't you research the EU regulation regarding side facing seats. I have no reason to make up something like this. I read about it when landrover was forced to put the third row front facing in the Defender due to this regulation.

From a marketing stand point it is always better for a manufacturer to call it seven seater. This is precisely the reason why manufacturers cramp tiny seats in the boot and call their SUVs 7 seaters abroad.

Also, I think you misunderstood that I said that Tata stopped selling Safari because of the side facing seats. It hardly sells at all in Italy. Most of the ones on the market are from the earlier days.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 11th March 2012 at 23:51.
Old 12th March 2012, 00:52   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
About 10 years ago, Tata used to offer a 5-seat version (no jump seats) even in India. This was probably done in response to changed RTO regulations which required 7 seater vehicles registered in company name to be registered only as commercial vehicles and hence liable to much higher road tax along with other conditions.

Last edited by directinjection : 12th March 2012 at 00:53.
Old 12th March 2012, 16:35   #518
BHPian

Just saw this piece of information. on CARTRADEINDIA.com -

12 March, 2012, 13:29 IST by Cartradeindia Editorial Team
Tata Motors is all set to launch its Safari Storme 2012 in India as a prime competitor of Mahindra XUV 500. As per reports, this SUV will be introduced in a couple of weeks. Ever since the Safari Storme was showcased in the 11th Auto Expo, it has been one of the highly awaited models.

The company has decided to position this car above the Tata Safari SUV. Loaded with high off-roading capabilities, the new car will have 4x4 gearbox, which is not present in the XUV 500 of Mahindra. Compared to monocoque body of Mahindra XUV 500, the Tata Safari Storme has been built on a body-on-ladder frame.

The automobile giant has also provided a 2.2 litre of DiCOR common rail turbo diesel engine in the Safari Storme, which is capable of producing peak power of 140 bhp and torque of 320 Nm. For easy gear shift, the engine is mated with G76 Mark II five speed transmission. Interiors of this vehicle are extremely attractive and are designed to provide maximum comfort.

As per information revealed by the company, a relocated space wheel will be available in the 2012 Tata Safari Storme SUV, which will be fitted on the floorpan of the rear section. In spite of providing best off-roading capabilities in the car, the company has decided to keep the price of Tata Safari Storme SUV less than its competitor Mahindra XUV 500.

2012 Tata Safari Storme takes on Mahindra XUV 500 | CarTrade.com

Does this mean the launch is very near?
forbhaskarm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 16:39   #519
BHPian

just happen to read about the latest spotting of Strom by Indian Auto Blog
Strom
Old 12th March 2012, 20:23   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
.. what's with the humungous head-restraints? It looks like the seat-back is too short and they've tried to compensate by increasing the length of the head-restraints.
Velu, here's something interesting:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-7-seater.html

yes, in a 20L Japanese SUV too !

Quote:
4x4addict : Instead of being stubborn, why don't you research the EU regulation regarding side facing seats. I have no reason to make up something like this.
I wonder what makes you think so ?

The SUV's I have owned outside & in India, and a little GK about Indian CMRV give me some information to say that the 7 seater rule is more India specific, and not the norm everywhere. So side facing seats would not be the reason for the Safari being pulled off the shevles (in Italy etc). Though, the safety regulations will be the reason to change the last row from side to front facing.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 09:05   #521
BHPian

Stumbled across this better picture of last row seats in the model displayed at Geneva Motor show. Looks like the seat is side mounted and fold-able. I think this will be a good advantage.
Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-tatasafaristormeginebra2012008.jpg
Picture taken from Tata Safari Storme en el Salón de Ginebra 2012

You can also see that reverse parking sensors have been added to the models displayed at Geneva motor show. I think the finished product will be having more features as compared to the one displayed at AutoExpo.

Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-tata_safari_storme_004.jpg

Image taken from Images Tata Safari-Storme - Tata Safari-Storme en image.

Below one is taken by tsk and GTO during their visit to Auto Expo. This does not have the reverse parking sensors. I wont be surprised to see a double din HU in the production version which has integrated navigation and few other goodies.

Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-tatasafari14wo.jpg

Last edited by deepaktpatil : 14th March 2012 at 09:14.
deepaktpatil is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 09:39   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Stumbled across this better picture of last row seats in the model displayed at Geneva Motor show. Looks like the seat is side mounted and fold-able. I think this will be a good advantage.
Attachment 902606
Thanks a lot Deepak. This was the picture I was looking for. Looking at the implementation I am happy. Only thing is the seats don't extend fully and join together at center when opened. Leaves some gap. Should be fine. Will provide useful place to keep luggage. Tata should offer this standard in the Indian version of Storme when they launch. Or atleast optional.
I am sold on this car already if they offer this.
Old 14th March 2012, 09:59   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Thanks a lot Deepak. This was the picture I was looking for. Looking at the implementation I am happy. Only thing is the seats don't extend fully and join together at center when opened. Leaves some gap. Should be fine. Will provide useful place to keep luggage. Tata should offer this standard in the Indian version of Storme when they launch. Or atleast optional.
I am sold on this car already if they offer this.
And if they don't, I will never consider any of the Tata vehicle and would discourage my friends too . If they don't offer such seats here, it will simply tantamount to step motherly treatment (and that is to put it mildly).

Such a heavy vehicle (2Tonner, fuel guzzler) must offer room for carrying more than 5 people.
Old 14th March 2012, 10:12   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
And if they don't, I will never consider any of the Tata vehicle and would discourage my friends too . If they don't offer such seats here, it will simply tantamount to step motherly treatment (and that is to put it mildly).
How does that seat helps? Remember Safari is never be a People Carrier. It is SUV with 5 person sit comfortably in it. If you want people carrier there is Xylo, Innova etc. options available.

Quote:
Such a heavy vehicle (2Tonner, fuel guzzler) must offer room for carrying more than 5 people.
What makes you think it is fuel guzzler? Have you came across any Safari or driven it? Infact, Safari cost on road same as of people who drives Bullet on road.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 10:18   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ajay0612 : And if they don't, I will never consider any of the Tata vehicle and would discourage my friends too . If they don't offer such seats here, it will simply tantamount to step motherly treatment (and that is to put it mildly).
Actually, I think you put it funnily . But then - how often do you travel to capacity in your vehicles ?

Quote:
ajay0612 : Such a heavy vehicle (2Tonner, fuel guzzler) must offer room for carrying more than 5 people.
Pls do check the definitions of a fuel guzzler. You can also check for the term gas-guzzler.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks