Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 02:23   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Tata will be getting the updated T5 platform from JLR when they shift Defender production from UK to India. This is one of the best SUV platforms in the world (used presently on the Discovery and RR Sport) and uses a unique IBF construction (Integrated body frame), this combines the best of both worlds: rigidity of a monocoque and robustness of a ladder frame.

Ratan Tata has already confirmed in interviews that they are looking at Tata products sharing the platform. If this is the case then there is very little point tooling for a whole new Safari for a 2-3 year period!!
Old 1st May 2012, 07:59   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
looks yuck!! another market dud from tata. mahindra is running circles around tata and with launch of small cars soon, i am sure tata will be nowhere to be seen.
If you were to compare only the UV sales of both the manufacturers, then yes, MM is doing much better than TML. But, in totality, TML is still ahead, it sold some 37k units last month compared to 22k odd of MM.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html

.. btw which small car(s) are you referring to here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Tata will be getting the updated T5 platform from JLR when they shift Defender production from UK to India. This is one of the best SUV platforms in the world (used presently on the Discovery and RR Sport) and uses a unique IBF construction (Integrated body frame), this combines the best of both worlds: rigidity of a monocoque and robustness of a ladder frame.

Ratan Tata has already confirmed in interviews that they are looking at Tata products sharing the platform. If this is the case then there is very little point tooling for a whole new Safari for a 2-3 year period!!
Makes sense. But how much of this will materialize in the next 2 years is the big question. The amount of testing Storme is undergoing, TML would want it to sell for at least the next 5-7 years!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 1st May 2012 at 08:03.
Old 1st May 2012, 08:08   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Tata will be getting the updated T5 platform from JLR ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Makes sense. But how much of this will materialize in the next 2 years is the big question. The amount of testing Storme is undergoing, TML would want it to sell for at least the next 5-7 years!
Both points can be valid. The shared platform vehicle could be a new model. We have discussions about TM working on a Thar competitor. This new vehicle could come in about 2-3 years.

If the Storme actually has Aria underpinnings (as was mentioned in prev page), then the Storme may actually be around for the next few years. The body will need a change, though.

The old Safari styling was a classic, and very successful. I would have preferred TM to have closed it - or make a sufficiently well styled version like we see with Beetles or the Mustang.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:23   #634
BHPian

The delay in launch of safari is because of the wind cutting noise is still there as in the old safari. they are trying to remove or reduce it.

The storme will be released in next couple of months.

regards
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:29   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
The delay in launch of safari is because of the wind cutting noise is still there as in the old safari. they are trying to remove or reduce it.

The storme will be released in next couple of months.

regards
Maybe that's why they called it the storme

Anyway, i don't think this is the reason. They are tweaking the suspension and fixing minor issues and the launch should be around the corner.
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:56   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Storme production has started. I heard that an initial lot of 1000 stormes are being manufactured now. So the launch should be soon. I got this information about the production from a very reliable source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Got an update from my source in TML- per him, the reason for the delay of the Storme is NOT the XUV- there are some issues in suspension geometry that still need sorting out. that is the reason we are still seeing so many test mules. TML want to iron these out before launch.
So what happens to the first lot of 1000 stormes?
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:03   #637
Senior - BHPian

Dont think even Ratan Tata recieves so much info from his very own 'sources' at TML!!
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:04   #638
BHPian

I had the good fortune to test drive the Aria about a couple of weeks back. Sad to say, Mr Ratan Tata has definitely produced a wet cracker there. There is so much body roll, that my son in the last row was feeling car sick after about 20 min of driving (he normally is not).

And if the new Safari Storme has the underpinings of the Aria, I can see trouble brewing on the horizon.

My two bits.
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:37   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kmph View Post
And if the new Safari Storme has the underpinings of the Aria, I can see trouble brewing on the horizon.

My two bits.
A comparison can never be made in isolation. So if you can let us know about the other SUVs that your son has taken a ride in and felt hail and hearty, we would all be that much wiser.

On a different note, Bridgestone seems to have added the Storme into it's inventory. The Safari Exi and Vxi are prominently displayed in the list of vehicles suitable for the Dueler H/L 683!

Tyre size selector | Tyre Pattern | Tyre manufacturer in India.
neel385 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:55   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kmph View Post
There is so much body roll, that my son in the last row was feeling car sick after about 20 min of driving (he normally is not).
Good your son never had to travel in a Sumo, Scorpio, Xylo, Traveller etc...etc..

Note from Support - Post edited. Please keep personal comments off the public forum.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd May 2012 at 12:14.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:26   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
A comparison can never be made in isolation. So if you can let us know about the other SUVs that your son has taken a ride in and felt hail and hearty, we would all be that much wiser.

On a different note, Bridgestone seems to have added the Storme into it's inventory. The Safari Exi and Vxi are prominently displayed in the list of vehicles suitable for the Dueler H/L 683!

Tyre size selector | Tyre Pattern | Tyre manufacturer in India.
Since you asked, I have been on the lookout for a new SUV. I had the opportunity to test drive the Force One, the Xylo, the Scorpio, the Freelander 2, the Pajero Sport, the BMW X1 and, of course, the old Safari. Our whole family has sat through every test drive, and no one felt uncomfortable ever. So, there you are.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd May 2012 at 12:15. Reason: quoted text edited, hence removing your reply to it.
220kmph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:45   #642
BHPian

Saw three Stormes with red number plates on my way to Goa when I was in Pune in between the tolls. Got to take pics of all of them. Posting the one with the most chrome . It had LX4 written at the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-1st-pic.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-2nd-pic.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-3rd-pic.jpg  

AvinashV is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:20   #643
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
It had LX4 written at the back.
I just went to the temple to pray that LX4 means a base version 4wd. Let's see if God is listening. lol.
AVR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:37   #644
Team-BHP Support

I really hope Tata does away with the insurance based extended warranty, and give a flat 4 year warranty.
It will give out the signal that tata trusts the quality of its own vehicle.

And 4 years, 100,000kms is not a very unrealistic expectation. Nothing bug should go wrong with a modern vehicle in this time frame.

If not that, a 3 year warranty(standard) like the Aria would also be a good start.

And then there is the pricing. This is an evolution of existing safari, and it should be priced at the same level, or atmost, slightly higher than the current safari.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:43   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I just went to the temple to pray that LX4 means a base version 4wd. Let's see if God is listening. lol.
Its easier to get God's attention compared to TML!!

Already been mentioned a 100 times but Tata has to price it attractive. Margins may take a hit at first but once units start to shift increase them, similar to what M&M did with the XUV.

God has come back to my request saying 'Will try', but no reply from Tata motors yet!!
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks