Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 20:17   #661
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Ok, I have just been invited to a sneak preview of the Storme at the plant, courtesy Prerana Motors Bangalore, they say Tata want actual user feedback before the launch, since I am a Safari owner, I qualified .

They are flying me to Pune and back along with the MD of Prerana over Sunday and Monday.

Pretty excited about the invite, I hope other Safari owners from different parts of India also make it to Pune, will post a detailed (unfortunately am not too much of a car tech savvy guy) review once I get back.

Would love to ask questions on behalf of my fellow tbhpians when I get the opportunity, so guys, please feel free to post all queries regarding the Storme which I will try and get answers for.
Congratulations Lukeskywalker, lucky guy. Can you ask them what are the design changes that have been done to address the recurring quality and reliability problems existing customers have been reporting. Also ask them what steps have been taken to improve competency and service level of A.S.S's
Old 4th May 2012, 20:27   #662
BHPian

I am a bit intrigued here.

Customer feedback generally implies that the new product is not yet ready for launch and the feedback is going to be incorporated before launch. Is the Storme that far away from launch?
Old 4th May 2012, 21:44   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would love to ask questions on behalf of my fellow tbhpians when I get the opportunity, so guys, please feel free to post all queries regarding the Storme which I will try and get answers for.
Thanks Skywalker, here are my questions?!
  • The 156ps version of the 2.2 dicor in the Autoexpo Aria, will this see light of day in the Storme/Safari.
  • Is there a six speed gearbox coming up?!
  • What about the Auto box?!
  • How much weight reduction have they achieved compared to existing Safari.
  • The third row jump seats, 'Front facing' type they had displayed in a European auto show. Will the Storme get this compared to the pointless posh stools the present one has.
  • Last, pls ask them how many years left before launch?!
Cheers Skywalker
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 01:22   #664
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kmph View Post
I had the good fortune to test drive the Aria about a couple of weeks back. Sad to say, Mr Ratan Tata has definitely produced a wet cracker there. There is so much body roll, that my son in the last row was feeling car sick after about 20 min of driving (he normally is not).

And if the new Safari Storme has the underpinings of the Aria, I can see trouble brewing on the horizon.
With due respect to the observation, having owned the Safari 175000 kms earlier and now the Aria since - 42000 kms, can say with absolute confidence that the Aria is a huge improvement over the Safari in the aspect of body roll, yes there is body roll but is is quite acceptable for a ladder on frame chassis vehicle of this size, and in my eyes is about as good as it can get.

The New Safari will definately benefit from the use of the Shortened Aria chassis.

Now since it is reported by you that your son felt sick after about 20 min in the rear suspect that it could be either 1) A very badly abused or ill maintained Aria or one with a suspension defect. 2) That you kid was not that well that day and did not reallize it. - I say this with utmost respect, pls do not mind it.

Yes the last row of the Aria is only for kids and my kid has spent a fair bit of time out there but not really felt ill. - Touch wood.

Infact with the Aria you even get the confidence to take the car in the 120 - 140 kmph speed Zone with the roads not really being that smooth with acceptable roll. It also does not have the earlier Safari's ship like front to rear rocking motion.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 22:14   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Well with due respect to the idea of sticking to the tried and trusted. The STORME too would be a Safari DICOR (irrespective of them using the name.) with an improved version of the same 2.2 dicor engine with improved braking, stability, transmission and suspension components.
I agree however with new components only god knows it's going to be better or worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
For the first time, got to catch Storme live on streets. This was near DSK Toyota showroom, Bawdhan, Pune on the Mumba-Pune-Satara Highway on 28 Apr 2012, about 1:45-2 PM.

Attachment 921775

Attachment 921776

With no frills and no camouflaging, seems it is ready to Launch NOW atleast?
^^ Seeing the STORME in flesh has only made me feel better about my idea of not waiting for it and go for the Dicor.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:00   #666

Hey, great to know that you are going be one of the privileged few to evaluate the STORME. Take it for a good spin and for heaven's sake, ask them when are they launching (a firm date).

Quote:
Ok, I have just been invited to a sneak preview of the Storme at the plant, courtesy Prerana Motors Bangalore, they say Tata want actual user feedback before the launch, since I am a Safari owner, I qualified .

They are flying me to Pune and back along with the MD of Prerana over Sunday and Monday.

Pretty excited about the invite, I hope other Safari owners from different parts of India also make it to Pune, will post a detailed (unfortunately am not too much of a car tech savvy guy) review once I get back.

Old 8th May 2012, 14:56   #667
Senior - BHPian

I am back after an exciting Monday in Pune, there were three different versions of the Storme along with an XUV and a Scorpio which we were given to drive in turns all the way to Amby Valley via Lonavala.

In a single sentence, the Storme is a Safari with most chinks ironed out.

Will write a review in a separate thread shortly, most of the questions here have been answered by the people at Tata Motors, they were very happy that a lot of people were asking questions and awaiting the Storme.

Kindly bear with me, will post as soon as I can.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 15:01   #668
Senior - BHPian

@ Lukeskywalker, quickly can you confirm if the last row is front facing? Did tata change this after the initial feedbacks?
Old 8th May 2012, 15:12   #669
BHPian

Quote:
I am back after an exciting Monday in Pune, there were three different versions of the Storme along with an XUV and a Scorpio which we were given to drive in turns all the way to Amby Valley via Lonavala.

Will write a review in a separate thread shortly, most of the questions here have been answered by the people at Tata Motors, they were very happy that a lot of people were asking questions and awaiting the Storme.

Its good to know that there was an XUV also there. That means atleast TATA is aiming to make Storme competitive with respect to XUV.

Waiting for your feedback!!
Old 8th May 2012, 15:18   #670
BHPian

Quote:

Any update on launch date? Is it going to happen before Diwali? Waiting for your review thread. Thanks for updating us.
Old 8th May 2012, 15:29   #671
BHPian

@ Luke, eagerly waiting for your report, but till that comes out, can you let us know if the TATA guys gave you any indication on the expected launch date?
Old 8th May 2012, 15:41   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lukeskywalker, quickly can you confirm if the last row is front facing? Did tata change this after the initial feedbacks?
Sorry, none of the variants come with front facing 3rd row seating.

Quote:
Any update on launch date? Is it going to happen before Diwali? Waiting for your review thread. Thanks for updating us.
Quote:
Luke, eagerly waiting for your report, but till that comes out, can you let us know if the TATA guys gave you any indication on the expected launch date?
This was the final question asked by me, the first answer was "soon"!!
I did not fall for it, I persisted, a lot of contemplation, looks passed back and forth and then the spokesperson said "within the next 6 months"

I told him "cmon you guys don't have to play it so safe, so just tell us how soon".
Then the answer came out "in two to two and a half months".

Issue here was that the dealers don't want the vehicle to be launched till all issues are sorted out.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 15:45   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Issue here was that the dealers don't want the vehicle to be launched till all issues are sorted out.
Hi Luke,

After driving the Storme, what would you PREFER in the current scenario?

Current Safari or wait for Storme launch (at least 3-4 months away)? If it's current Safari, then what all things will you miss?

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 8th May 2012 at 15:47.
Old 8th May 2012, 16:07   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Current Safari or wait for Storme launch (at least 3-4 months away)? If it's current Safari, then what all things will you miss?
If one is about to buy a Safari, I'd request him to hang on, only if they goof up on the pricing of the Storme then buy the existing Safari.

I'd like to say the Storme is an improved Safari and while buying one can just think that the prices have gone up, the ride and handling is way better than what we currently own.

In terms of gizmos, nothing will be missed if you opt for the current Safari, in fact the reverse camera and DVD screens are missing in the Storme, what you will appreciate is all four disc brakes, great ride quality, negligible body roll and YES, superb turning radius.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 16:21   #675
BHPian

Quote:
If one is about to buy a Safari, I'd request him to hang on, only if they goof up on the pricing of the Storme then buy the existing Safari.

I'd like to say the Storme is an improved Safari and while buying one can just think that the prices have gone up, the ride and handling is way better than what we currently own.
Thanks Lukes! Any discussion with TATA guys w.r.t.:
  • Current safari will be discounted on the Storme's launch?
  • Expected price bracket for Storme?
Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 8th May 2012 at 16:22.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks