Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:58   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I like how Maruti have decided not to use the fake wood interiors that Indian car makers love!! Their interior execution is a lot more classy.
I am not sure that there exists a big reception for fake wood interiors. I wish Maruti stay away from this and give a proper Interior.
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:38   #212
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pics, revved_up. From the pics the car looks good - sort of like an Innova, especially from rear and side profile, in a smaller package. While it would be premature to comment on its success (since pricing is not known), one thing seems clear - Xylo, Innova et. al. would need to spruce up their act. Can't wait to see one in the metal.
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:16   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
I was at the Maruti Gurgaon plant today and i saw a lot of Ertigas ready to be despatched to dealers..

Attaching pics...
Thanks for the pics, @Revved_up. A little surprised that you were allowed to take pics. But good for us
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:35   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Thanks for the pictures. Aren't those tyres too skinny for an 'MUV' of this size? Typical of Maruti (and the host of others too). Except the ZDI variant all the others would sport those tyres I guess. Is it size 165? Having ABS for LDI is a welcome move though.
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:00   #215
BHPian

From the earlier pics, I assumed it would be slightly bigger than a Jazz or Ritz.

But, with a person standing next to it, the 'car' looks the size of an Innova, just slightly smaller.
MuraliR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:02   #216
Senior - BHPian

While others also go skinny, atleast they give the same specs on all models. But what MSIL does is downright cheap - giving different spec tyres for different trims. I can understand them giving steel rims on the lower trims and alloys on the Z version, but it is cheap to penny-pinch on tyres, which is a safety thing too. Also from a technical point of view, won't engineering narrow down on an optimum profile tyre for a certain vehicle taking into account ride/handling ? If so, how do these guys justfiy putting 165 profile on the L & V versions and then give 185 on the Z profile ? Won't the saving they do on tyres be negated by the fact that odo/speedo calibration would need to be done differently for the various trims of the same car ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 22nd February 2012 at 21:05.
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:52   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
So a mid-March launch is possible, IMO.
Yes, and what will interest me even more is to read one of those five-star detailed reviews on this forum.

Somehow, I anticipate that Indians will give a warm reception to this car, that is, if Maruti prices it right. As I see it, the Ertiga would be a great 5-seater car with awesome boot space (with third row seats folded), with the provision to accommodate two extra persons for an occasional trip. In fact, I'm already waiting for the year 2014, when I can consider a used diesel Ertiga!

Last edited by misquitas : 22nd February 2012 at 22:54.
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:05   #218
AWD
BHPian

What could be the height of this car, guess lower than Innova & higher than Ritz.

Also could someone point towards Length & Width..? A specs. comparo with Innova would be great.

If launch is in 1st week March, would deliveries follow immediately or after some time?

Last edited by AWD : 22nd February 2012 at 23:06.
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:20   #219
BHPian

Something which caught my eye: Autocar says the second row is adjustable by 240mm, making it very spacious in the second row, if the third row is not used. But it would then make the very purpose of the third row itself questionable. Unless you use the 2 rows on a regular basis, but still need that 3rd row occasionally, that is.

And, in Maruti Suzuki’s next big launch is the Ertiga MPV, expected to be price positioned under the Innova-Xylo! | IndianCarsBikes.in, they say there would be a 5 seat version too. Now, that would make a very spacious hatch, and perhaps MUL could improvise Nissan's Sunny ad "CAAAR" as "HAAATCH".
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:49   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Something which caught my eye: Autocar says the second row is adjustable by 240mm, making it very spacious in the second row, if the third row is not used. But it would then make the very purpose of the third row itself questionable. Unless you use the 2 rows on a regular basis, but still need that 3rd row occasionally, that is.
The third row seats are more of an option for convenience, not comfort IMO. Cars of this category are generally great for city-runs, especially for small families with kids. In normal scenarios the 3rd row seats will be folded down, and in the weekend if you are doing a restaurant outing with the whole family, whole set of seats come up, and it will still have a bit of space to hold up the shopping bags from the super market visits. If a family of 6 is planning an outstation trip with fair bit of baggage, better will be to check around the Innova category.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:02   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But what MSIL does is downright cheap - giving different spec tyres for different trims.
Not just that mate. I have read elsewhere in our forum that even the brake boosters aren't good enough on L and V trims (in new Swift?). Perhaps it did not make much difference in small hatchbacks. But Ertiga will surely be used as taxi and there will usually be more lives on board than small cars, even when it is a private car. I really hope they don't compromise on braking abilities of Ertiga!
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:06   #222
Senior - BHPian

^^^Yes, that is even more a safety issue than tyres. Almost everyone who has driven the new Swift has mentioned that the brakes in L & V are bad. And given that the Swift in both P & D versions is a FTD car, this becomes all the more a matter of concern.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:09   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
While others also go skinny, atleast they give the same specs on all models. But what MSIL does is downright cheap - giving different spec tyres for different trims. I can understand them giving steel rims on the lower trims and alloys on the Z version, but it is cheap to penny-pinch on tyres, which is a safety thing too. Also from a technical point of view, won't engineering narrow down on an optimum profile tyre for a certain vehicle taking into account ride/handling ? If so, how do these guys justfiy putting 165 profile on the L & V versions and then give 185 on the Z profile ? Won't the saving they do on tyres be negated by the fact that odo/speedo calibration would need to be done differently for the various trims of the same car ?
I actually prefer the Maruti approach of providing 2 types of tyres, depending on the variant.

The skinny tyres are cheaper and will provide (marginally) better FE. This suits the cost concious buyer who buys the lower variants.

The fatter tyres provide better safety, which is important for the safety concious buyer who is buying the top end variant.

The best part about this 2 tyre approach is that even the customers of lower variants can freely upgrade their tyres to the top end spec without worrying about warranty issues.

In other brands who provide the same spec of tyres on all variants, the dealer gets an excuse to void the warranty if the customer has upsized the tyres.

Rohan
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:27   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
The skinny tyres are cheaper and will provide (marginally) better FE. This suits the cost concious buyer who buys the lower variants.

The fatter tyres provide better safety, which is important for the safety concious buyer who is buying the top end variant.
Sorry to disagree Rohan. Its this mindset which Suzuki and a few other manufacturers are exploiting. Cost conscious buyer does not have the right to have a safe drive?
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:03   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sorry to disagree Rohan. Its this mindset which Suzuki and a few other manufacturers are exploiting. Cost conscious buyer does not have the right to have a safe drive?
Probably you didn't read my above post completely. I also wrote that -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
The best part about this 2 tyre approach is that even the customers of lower variants can freely upgrade their tyres to the top end spec without worrying about warranty issues.

In other brands who provide the same spec of tyres on all variants, the dealer gets an excuse to void the warranty if the customer has upsized the tyres.
I was actually praising Maruti because they let the customers upgrade to wider tyres (top end spec) without voiding the warranty.

But enough of this OT tyre discussion, lets get back to Ertiga.

Rohan
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks