Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 22:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

So Maruti is going to have people movers in various segments. Interesting consolidation.
Old 6th January 2012, 22:57   #17
BHPian

It does not look like an MPV from any angle. From the side profile, it just looks like a grown up Jazz. This looks too small to be an MPV.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 23:11   #18
BHPian

seems like a pointless excercise in my opinion,suzuki any way was going over the 4 metre limit, so why not have made it 10cms longer while they were at it.Anyway being a maruti may have 2000-3000 pm sales atleast.
aditya116 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 23:30   #19
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
It does not look like an MPV from any angle. From the side profile, it just looks like a grown up Jazz. This looks too small to be an MPV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
seems like a pointless excercise in my opinion,suzuki any way was going over the 4 metre limit, so why not have made it 10cms longer while they were at it.Anyway being a maruti may have 2000-3000 pm sales atleast.
himavanth_m & aditya116, Bang on guys!

When I saw the Eeco, I had the same thought. Why not go the full hog and create something really "new" and interesting, rather than churning out half-hearted replicas of their own models? Beats me.
Old 6th January 2012, 23:34   #20
BHPian

I bet the petrol will not even scale up to the meagre 30:70 ratio of todays petrol diesel sales combo. Would be more like 10:90 in the ertiga's case. Taxi market Zindabad in short. Maruti just had to put in a petrol to say you know, we still sell something called as a petrol engine.
Old 6th January 2012, 23:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

1) We have booked Innova VX-D on Dec 15, 2010. We will be getting the recently updated model.

2) Now after looking at Ertiga, we are wonder why to pay 50% more for Innova considering the price for ZDi Ertiga as Rs. 10 lakh OTR.

If anybody has sat in the driver's seat, do tell update here regarding the seating position, is it as high as Innova ?

I am of the view that this car can do 85% of what Innova can do at 67% of what Innova costs ( Innova VX-D OTR = Rs. 15 lakh, Ertiga ZDi OTR = Rs. 10 lakh ).

We are seriously thinking of cancelling Innova booking, but as now I have convinced my family not to do so as waiting period of Innova is 6 months.
Old 7th January 2012, 00:01   #22
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) We have booked Innova VX-D on Dec 15, 2010. We will be getting the recently updated model.

2) Now after looking at Ertiga, we are wonder why to pay 50% more for Innova considering the price for ZDi Ertiga as Rs. 10 lakh OTR.

If anybody has sat in the driver's seat, do tell update here regarding the seating position, is it as high as Innova ?

I am of the view that this car can do 85% of what Innova can do at 67% of what Innova costs ( Innova VX-D OTR = Rs. 15 lakh, Ertiga ZDi OTR = Rs. 10 lakh ).

We are seriously thinking of cancelling Innova booking, but as now I have convinced my family not to do so as waiting period of Innova is 6 months.
The devil is in the details sir. Conceptually both are 7 seaters, but look at the size. Ertiga is a stretched hatch, with the SAME WIDTH as a hatch. So the middle bench for 3 is more like a "for 3 thin people".

Please have a look at the actual vehicle before cancelling your Innova booking.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 00:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

The devil is in the details sir. Conceptually both are 7 seaters, but look at the size. Ertiga is a stretched hatch, with the SAME WIDTH as a hatch. So the middle bench for 3 is more like a "for 3 thin people".

+1. It's based on stretched Swift platform and width is as same as hatchbacks. Not at all competitor to lnnova or Xylo.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 00:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mad rush to check the Ertiga out (as is usually the case with any new Maruti unveiling). This is apparently the "media exclusive" day
Attachment 865665
Super cool - love the tongue in cheek humor

I am preparing for tomorrow as if I am going to Rome, going by the mad traffic jams today evening
Old 7th January 2012, 00:26   #25
Team-BHP Support

The Ertiga, very strongly, reminds me of the Honda Jazz. The dimensions are similar, I suppose. Even the Jazz has a huge boot area. One would think that it is possible to get a 3rd row in there, But that wouldn't be very safe.

It will be interesting to see how they go about pricing this car, Considering the fact that the top-end Swift retails at 8 lakhs in Bangalore. Maruti cannot afford to see the price go beyond 10 lakhs. That would mean Innova-territory, and nothing can beat the Innova.

They're clearly targeting a certain segment that they'd look to pioneer. The mini-Xylo will be one of the Ertiga's competitors. SO they must price it accordingly.

EDIT: While the concept of a micro-mini-van, or even a mini-crossover for that matter is great, I'm not sure if any of the manufacturers have got it right. What they have successfully managed to make, is not a 7-seater mini-MPV. What they've done is taken a conventional super-mini (like the Swift) and just stretched it. So that doesn't make it a 'big' hatch. That just makes it a stretched hatch. Like a 'pseudo-station-wagon' if you will. And the purpose of stretching it is to liberate more room for a 3rd row. For the purpose of making money, it might work. But these cars are neither 'big' hatchbacks, or super-minis. They're somewhere in the middle.

Taking a not-so-spacious hatch, and stretching ti to ensure that a 3rd row can be thrown in, is not the best way to go, IMO. They could have given us a larger hatch based on the Swift platform. Something similar to the Ertiga in size and with similar engine-transmission configuration, but a whole lot more roomy than the Swift, and priced it a lakh or so more. Now that would be a great concept. NOT taking a cramped hatch and making retaining the 'crampi-iness' while throwing in more seats. Doesn't make sense to me, honestly.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th January 2012 at 00:37.
Old 7th January 2012, 00:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Both are in different segments. Innova will have better quality, space for the price difference. Space inside Ertiga will be very less compared to innova. I think, Ertiga is strictly a 4 adults plus a child seater. If you want to have more adults inside, stick to Innova, it will be more comfortable, relaxed on highway. The only advantage of Ertiga will small size and price. With 7 on board, i am sure it will struggle on highways to maintain decent speed. Don't cancel the booking yet. Wait for the price, take your family to showroom and see if they are comfortable in it. Then decide.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 00:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a pretty good Product.

This apears to be what the Versa was expected to be original, a small family car for which is big enough for more than 4/5 people.

So far we don't have a good Family car for a family with more than 4 members, one has to directly jump into the large SUV/MUV category out of the which most of MUV's have Taxi image. The Ertiga, if priced well, could be a very good option.
Old 7th January 2012, 01:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
+1. It's based on stretched Swift platform and width is as same as hatchbacks. Not at all competitor to lnnova or Xylo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Both are in different segments. Innova will have better quality, space for the price difference. Space inside Ertiga will be very less compared to innova. I think, Ertiga is strictly a 4 adults plus a child seater. If you want to have more adults inside, stick to Innova, it will be more comfortable, relaxed on highway. The only advantage of Ertiga will small size and price. With 7 on board, i am sure it will struggle on highways to maintain decent speed. Don't cancel the booking yet. Wait for the price, take your family to showroom and see if they are comfortable in it. Then decide.
I had a bit of calculations....
Innova rtiga
Length 4585 4265 7.5% more length than Ertiga
Width 1760 1695 3.8% more
Height 1760 1685 4.45% more
WBase 2750 2740 0.36% more

Innova Advantages :
Proven
Body on Frame, more suited to Indian conditions
More space overall
Very little turbolag

Innova Negatives :
Low on power
FE
Higher cost of spares, though will not need them frequently.

Ertiga Advantages:
Just about sufficient size
Higher FE
Lower cost of spares
Maruti ( peace of mind, A.S & S. network )

Ertiga Disadvantages :
Not yet proven, I am yet to even see one in flesh
Less overall space
Engine, will need more grunt

The Innova figures are from the latest Innova brochure.
Ertiga will have almost as much torque as Innova, but the way Innova delivers it is different ( read linear ). Ertiga is a nice 5 passengers + luggage and occasional 7 seater, but it seems that this car cannot give Innova a real challenge in space department.

Thanks Guys! I will now once again confirm not to cancel booking. Will have to atleast look at Ertiga first.
Old 7th January 2012, 01:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a bit of calculations....
Innova rtiga
Length 4585 4265 7.5% more length than Ertiga
Width 1760 1695 3.8% more
Height 1760 1685 4.45% more
WBase 2750 2740 0.36% more

Ertiga will have almost as much torque as Innova, but the way Innova delivers it is different ( read linear ). Ertiga is a nice 5 passengers + luggage and occasional 7 seater, but it seems that this car cannot give Innova a real challenge in space department.

Thanks Guys! I will now once again confirm not to cancel booking. Will have to atleast look at Ertiga first.
Instead of %age to compare space, it would be much better if you see both physically. Your family and your body size will be better judge of that than this numbers. The numbers may give you a brief idea but what you can feel once seated is important and will give you and your family better perspective.

You also need to consider interior build quality, features, seat cushions, road handling manners of both, ride quality and then some more.

Good for you to not cancel it. Also since you have 6 months to wait, you got plenty of time. Who knows, by that time, even mini-xylo will be launched too.

Last edited by chevelle : 7th January 2012 at 01:16.
Old 7th January 2012, 01:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Ertiga will be a major blow to the likes of Innova and Xylo.

As far as I can see Innova has a couple of advantages against the Ertiga:
  • Space: Its a larger vehicle that was designed around accommodating 7-8 people in comfort rather than trying to pack 7 seats into a hatchback design.
  • Build: The body on ladder construction means the Innova is more ideally suited to Indian road conditions. Its safer, sturdier and should outlast the Ertiga on a long term basis.
The Ertiga though looks far more suited for family ownership and apart from the above two factors it wins every other comparo hands down:
  • Compact: This does means its more cramped inside but 70-80% of the time people drive their cars alone or maybe with one or two passengers. In this context the Ertiga is easier to drive and park, especially taking into account female drivers and cramped cities.
  • Mono chassis: While not sturdy as a body on frame a monocoque has its own advantages, better handling, lighter weight etc...
  • Fuel Efficiency: The MJD engine along with a lighter body means the Ertiga will easily be more fuel efficient than the Innova. Rising fuel costs are a huge factor these days.
  • A$$: Being a Maruti it will be cheaper to maintain and has a far greater service network.
  • Price: The cost advantage is too big to ignore especially since the Ertiga covers most things the Innova does anyway.
The only saving grace for the likes of Innova and Xylo is the fact that Suzuki will struggle to meet the Ertiga demand, expect a waiting period immediately after it goes on sale. After the D'zire Maruti has once again designed a car round Indian demands and requirements, they have a winner in their hands.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed