Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 10:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
We have travelled 7 in a Swift LDi from HWR to Lansdowne. However 3 of them were kids :-). Did not face any problem lugging them to Lansdowne. So the Ertiga is a practical cost effective alternative for a family of 4 with occasional travel with friends/parents/ kids. It is not a rugged people carrier like Innova. It simply is a God Sent choice for us mortals who would have to hire taxis now and then merely because our tiny cars could not accommodate 6-7 persons. We can drive sedately carefully for those occasional holiday trip with friends/guests. The car can be parked in our small homes parking area too:-). That is it. Of course pricing does matter and will decide its success or failure. It must remain within SX4 category at top end.
BTW does anyone knoow the Ground clearance of it?
Well, this will indeed make sense for a small family having kids. I may have mentioned it keeping in mind my kind of requirements wherein we require more space since there are 6 adults in family. For us, this is not a practical option since the width is less so may not accommodate all of us comfortably. That is where it will fall short. While it is a wild guess since we haven't seen one, but the seats of Ertiga may not be as comfortable as Innova, especially for long distances. It may get tiring after a while. On ghats and curvy road, i have my doubts for its stability. I am not expecting swift sharp handling in ghats like but atleast innova like. I agree though that price will determine how successful it will be. Anything above 10 lakhs and people will consider xylo, innova and other suvs as more practical option what will more space, powerful engine.

I will consider parts and service as almost equal as innova is just as reliable as any maruti not considering the network.
Old 7th January 2012, 11:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pics GTO.

If Ertiga is priced correctly, then definitely I'll consider this as a replacement for our 11 year old trustful OMNI. Ertiga will be ideal for us since it can accommodate my 5 family members plus occasional visitors for city runs.
Old 7th January 2012, 11:12   #48
BHPian

Another thing I don't understand: Why these MPVs having nil Luggage space don't offer split seat on the last Row? e.g. Xylo, Scorpio, Grande and now Ertiga. Split seat is almost a necessity for such small luggage space when third row is used. That is where Innova scores over these all. It has sufficient luggage space behind third row and has split third row seats too. Am I right?
Old 7th January 2012, 11:13   #49
BHPian

Maruti knows the nuances of the market better than everybody.

1] Ertiga is a good looking vehicle when you keep in mind its a compact SUV where space takes precedence over design.

2]Swift platform , 15 inch wheels , ABS+EBD , Long wheelbase =good road manners .

3] Not too big to be a parking nightmare , not too small either .

4]Space for 7 people and beige interiors

5]Proven , adequately powerful,fuel-efficient K-series petrol and DDIS Diesel engines on offer.

6]Looks to be well put together , has a premium feel .

7]Maruti -Resale value , reliability, after-sales and service network .

8]Versatile- can be a city run-about and a highway mile-muncher as well .
Old 7th January 2012, 11:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing I don't understand: Why these MPVs having nil Luggage space don't offer split seat on the last Row? e.g. Xylo, Scorpio, Grande and now Ertiga. Split seat is almost a necessity for such small luggage space when third row is used. That is where Innova scores over these all. It has sufficient luggage space behind third row and has split third row seats too. Am I right?
They are at a lower price after all - and offer a flexible seating vs luggage-space configurability.
Old 7th January 2012, 11:31   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Surely there will be some cross-shopping because of the lack of options in the 7-seater passenger car space. But in reality it’s like comparing a SX4 with a Corolla Atlis. Both are sedans and can seat 5, but are they in the same category?

Ertiga is a small MPV which is ideal for City dwellers that look for an added advantage of seating 7 when required. And most of the time, the folded down rearmost seats will address the requirement of luggage loading.
+1. For that weekend ride to the mall/hypermarket with parents and kids this is a good car. But not for longer journeys since it will get very cramped with 7 people in that case. A slightly heavily built frame might even reduce the middle seat to only 2 adults.

Quote:
In the international markets most of the major players have multiple options in the MPV segment. For e.g.; Ertiga sized option from Toyota could be the 7-seater Avanza.
If this segment sees a lot of numbers then can we hope Toyota to bring the Avanza here? Ofcourse I hope they don't come up with a MPV based on the Etios design theme ( I think there was a thread on the same sometime back).

Quote:
Split seat is almost a necessity for such small luggage space when third row is used. That is where Innova scores over these all. It has sufficient luggage space behind third row and has split third row seats too. Am I right?
Absolutely right. Innova has split seats at the back and the middle ones are slider adjusted to enable you to make the maximum use out of it.

I feel we should stop comparing it to the Xylo/Innova and the other bigger MPVs. Its not fair on the Ertiga. Its a new car in a new segment at a different price. If it matches the Innova on comfort parameters then either MSIL would be making huge losses selling it at 8-9L or Toyota was looting us all for a decade now.

Last edited by drmohitg : 7th January 2012 at 11:34.
Old 7th January 2012, 11:36   #52
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am sure it will be a hit among the family crowd.
Though I agree it will not seat 7 adults comfortably, i guess the target is 4-5 adults and 2-3 kids in comfort. The current sedans cannot do that. Most times, we are struck when we have guests and the regular hatchbacks and sedans dont suffice for airport/railway station trips or city sight seeing. This nicely fits in for those people.
Old 7th January 2012, 11:50   #53
BHPian

Its a good move by Maruti, looks better than echo and omni and certainly will be better to drive too. I dont always carry 7 people on board, but those days in vacation when lot of relatives show up, this will help a lot which even my optra and getz cannot hold separately. Price should be comfortable within 6 to 8 lakhs. 10 is no way maruti should price that.
Old 7th January 2012, 12:52   #54

For a family of 4 this is a perfect weekend getaway vehicle. Its more like a stretched swift with more boot space. Pricing will decide which way the buyer swings.
Old 7th January 2012, 13:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Looks like a pretty good Product.

This apears to be what the Versa was expected to be original, a small family car for which is big enough for more than 4/5 people.

So far we don't have a good Family car for a family with more than 4 members, one has to directly jump into the large SUV/MUV category out of the which most of MUV's have Taxi image. The Ertiga, if priced well, could be a very good option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I am sure it will be a hit among the family crowd.
Though I agree it will not seat 7 adults comfortably, i guess the target is 4-5 adults and 2-3 kids in comfort. The current sedans cannot do that. Most times, we are struck when we have guests and the regular hatchbacks and sedans dont suffice for airport/railway station trips or city sight seeing. This nicely fits in for those people.
++1 to both. We faced the situation many times before. Even if you have a family of 4 (or even 3), many times you have a strong need to move together with 2-3 of extended family.

Being in a smaller town, we often came across close friends/relatives along the way, who can hop in & join the fun. It's not a problem when we had an Omni in the 90s, but now with an Alto, we just have to wave hands with an embarrassing smile - but can't go back to Omni. Eeco was just not an answer. Er...tiga seem to be just right! (phew.. what a name!)
Old 7th January 2012, 13:39   #56

Looks Good but the steering part looks same like swift, Sx4 etc., atleast some new features should have brought in this.
Old 7th January 2012, 16:06   #57
BHPian

Priced correctly, suzuki would be looking at 6 month waiting list for another product. It is just right for my family of five including parents. It should be priced below the Innova. I am unable to stretch my budget to an Innova and would very much compromise with the space Ertiga offers if it is cheaper. I am sure there are more like me.Hope it has a reasonable ground clearance and middle row that can be slid front and back. If I had the money, Innova it would be!

Last edited by Deep Blue : 7th January 2012 at 16:09.
Old 7th January 2012, 16:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Part sharing = competitive price = great sales = waiting period = Maruti laughing all the way to the bank + a thread on Tbhp - 6 months waiting for Ertiga, should I wait or buy an Innova
Old 7th January 2012, 16:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommani View Post
GTO, can you please confirm if the middle row is on rails and can be moved backwards or forward to increase legroom in both rear rows?? I am not too sure by looking at the pics.

Overall car looks decent.

Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-maruti-ertiga-14.jpg

From what i see here , i think the middle row seats can slide
Old 7th January 2012, 17:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

The head rest of the 3rd row extends beyond the C-Pillar

The 3rd row is really squeezed into the limited space thats available!

Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-maruti20ertiga2017.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed