Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 17:06   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My response to the pricing is lukewarm. Think of it this way : What do you get over the Swift? An extra row of seats. That's it. The price difference for that 3rd row of seats is 2 lakh rupees! Not like the 3rd row is exceptionally spacious either.
You also get more luggage space if your don't use the 3rd row which is pathetic in the new Swift.

Quote:
Yes, the 2nd row does have more space than the Swift (with the seats pushed back) so you have to consider how much that is worth to you. While the Ertiga does have more powerful engines, the Swift is lighter. Thus, expect performance to be similar (or the Swift to be quicker still).
New Swift is quite a bit slower than the old Swift. I expect Ertiga to be as fast as new Swift. And it provides more utility than the Swift while retaining car like dynamics and comfort. I think it fits the UV slot very well...
Old 12th April 2012, 17:43   #587
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Ertiga launched. Follow the link: Maruti launches Ertiga MPV - News - Autocar India Mods kindly edit the header as now launched.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 12th April 2012 at 17:46.
Old 12th April 2012, 18:07   #588
BHPian

The features across the variants have been very intelligently allocated. Though the base diesel variant gets ABS standard which is a good thing which goes to show that MSIL is serious about safety but does not get roof mounted AC vents and middle and last row head restraints which are also safety features i.e., the head restraints.

In fact if the Ertiga can be converted to a DC lounge the base variant really makes sense as it has ABS and the rest of the things make no sense for DC conversion. However the roof mounted AC was very much needed for creating a partition. The rest of the features such as music system, power windows etc are not needed for conversion into a lounge.

Considering the price difference between the middle and top end variant which is only 55k anyone who is opting for a middle variant can surely go for the top end and have the safety of airbags and other features such as seatbelt pretensioners, load limiters etc, etc, etc. So the real price advantage is only between the base variant and the top end variant. The base variant with roof mounted AC vents would have given the buyer a lot of options on installing a music system, alloys, seat covers, etc., etc., and still could have managed the budget.

So hope MSIL will offer roof mounted AC vents and head restraints on all rows of seats in the base variant also enabling the buyer good option of chosing among the variants.
Old 12th April 2012, 18:35   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Who would buy an Ertiga: A Case study

My brother(ht: 6'), wife(ht:5'4") and two kids. Wife's Parents(should be around 5' each) stay with them.
Current Car Swift Vxi.
Thats exactly the case. Its a sedan size car with all the flexibility. Now, if only it rides as good as it looks and delivers on the flexibility through usability, it will be a big hit.

I have mentioned in my post on the user experience of the 3rd row that it is not the easiest when it comes to ingress/egress. You can definitely not "walk-in" - claimed by MSIL.
Old 12th April 2012, 18:51   #590
BHPian

Just back from checking out a spanking new ZDi at T R Sawhney Motors in South Delhi. TD car was there as well but need to wait till Saturday morning for the formalities. The legroom in the middle row isn't anything to shout about but should be decent enough for average sized adults (if you intend to use the third row as well). Long drives while sitting in the third row will not be a welcome proposition with the legroom on offer. But it should do its job well for an average Indian household carrying 7 people in relative comfort. Steering is el-cheapo to hold; even the top variants do not get leather. No dead-pedal, front armrest (why Maruti why). Booked a TD for Saturday morning, so lets wait to see if it performs well enough on our roads with a full load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Mumbai
Sah and Saghi (Kemps Corner) and Vitesse (Worli) already have a car each that you can see.

Saw a white Z variant at Vitesse. Very impressive. Although I did not spend too much time with the vehicle, I checked a couple of things that were of concern to me:

All in "thumbs up"!! Hopefully I'll hit the market with these choices in the next 12-18 months.
Totally echo your thoughts! In fact, I'm in the exact situation as well trying to find a third car which the wifey can use with the flexibility to have an option to seat 6-7 people.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 12th April 2012 at 18:58.
Old 12th April 2012, 18:56   #591
BANNED

Just unable to understand, The DDiS Engine that does duty in the Sx4 is a Slogger when it has to pull 4 standard adults in normal City roads, Forget the Highway, its too sluggish.

Now, Ertiga too has the same engine for a 7 seater

Petrol @ 95hp should be just fine enough.

Waiting for GTO's First Review
Old 12th April 2012, 19:07   #592

Just Booked ZDi.
It's really a good family car with good flexibility. I had taken TD with 5 person on it. It's performance was reasonable.
Let's see when i will get it.
Old 12th April 2012, 19:21   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaksudhir View Post

Quote:
Dr.Abhi
One more glitch which is bothering me is that you have to keep the middle seat row in the foremost condition in case you flip down the last seat for luggage thus hampering the leg room in front of second row. Engineers should also have kept the last row 50:50 split. I think it just my nature of cribbing or finding faults. It is just a marvelous package overall and if the MS price it right it is bound to succeed.
Drive safe.
I agree... This will limit the utility for those who want to use it as a big hatch. Ideally it should have been a very comfortable, super 5 seater, if it couldn't be a great 7 seater.

The rear seat design, and the fact that middle seats lose their USP of 240mm slide & recline if one needs a big flat boot is a problem for me. It makes it an average 5 seater and a not-so-good 7 seater.
Well, I wasn't convinced on that engineering glitch when people pointed it out (since I myself am a huge suzuki fan), So thought of comparing myself on a scaled Powerpoint. It looks like there is quite a merit in Sudhir's comments that;

"its an average 5 -seater and not-so-good 7 seater".

The Middle row legroom almost cuts by more than 1/3rd when one reclines the last row seats (probably due to height of bench seat). Picked both the pictures from Ertiga Brochure. See how much of rear-door Speakers are covered by middle row seats in both the pictures to get an idea.

I think its worth attaching it for everyone's benefit. Please trash if its of no use.

Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-ertiga-legroom-space.jpg

Expecting GTO snaps in same comparable sizes to see the legroom difference and the verdict. I would actually try both combinations before actual buying.

Last edited by anu21v : 12th April 2012 at 19:48.
anu21v is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 19:29   #594
BHPian

Pricing information for Bangalore not available on the site. Anybody got any info from dealers?
The pricing overall falls in the range I (and many of you) had guessed and wanted http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2636536.

Ertiga will appeal to those who want a 5+luggage car with occasional short distance 7 seater
Why would Ertiga be a hit:
1. Maruti- Check
2. VFM- Check
3. Low maintenance- Check
4. Good track record of MSI in terms of quality and customer service- Check
5. Bigger than a hatch (can stuff all those luggage and can reach from inside), so looks premium but also falls into the "parking will be easy" thinking.
6. Good upgrade from a small hatch. I in fact opine that many potential Swift customers will move to Ertiga

And somewhere in the back of my mind I am thinking how much my Alto will sell for
Old 12th April 2012, 19:58   #595
BHPian

Why not remove the 3rd row seats altogether, push the middle row all the way back, and use it as a 5 seater with loads of legroom and boot space?
Old 12th April 2012, 20:02   #596
Distinguished - BHPian

The pricing is better than what I thought and by a good 60K! Not sure why people think that this will eat into SX4 sales! SX4 will target a different set of buyers who think & believe a sedan is a status symbol! People who want to move 7 people NEVER buys SX4 in the first place! And those who want to upgrade from a hatch, NOT sure how many of them want to buy an Ertiga unless the requirements are as exact as mentioned in the below post.

If I compare Ertiga with Innova, Innova gets beaten only for 3 reasons -

1. size [for a small set of target buyers - I believe the non-metro guys will still prefer Innova over Ertiga as a seven seater]
2. FE
3. Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
My brother(ht: 6'), wife(ht:5'4") and two kids. Wife's Parents(should be around 5' each) stay with them.
Bang on! This is the exact fit for this car. Now the question is how many such families exist, who thinks an Innova is NOT the car for them?! For the size issues, which basically people in a metro vote for, would NOT form a big part of potential MPV car buyers as a whole. Hence I feel the car initially will do good numbers, and then probably settle for a 3-4K numbers or lesser.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 12th April 2012 at 20:04.
Old 12th April 2012, 20:06   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

9.21 OTR Pune for the Vdi with ABS is not a bad deal. The engine is trusted, the platform is the same as Swift, the interiors are more than adequate. I may not buy this tomorrow but I like what it will do for the segment!
Old 12th April 2012, 20:22   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Why not remove the 3rd row seats altogether, push the middle row all the way back, and use it as a 5 seater with loads of legroom and boot space?
Exactly my plan because it will be primarily used by my parents and going to be chauffeur driven. They will get loads of legroom, icing is the reclining seats which they can adjust as per their need. I was waiting for Ertiga and Duster. Now that the Dusters launch is delayed, I will decide on Ertiga once I see it in person.
Old 12th April 2012, 20:31   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Exactly my plan because it will be primarily used by my parents and going to be chauffeur driven. They will get loads of legroom, icing is the reclining seats which they can adjust as per their need. I was waiting for Ertiga and Duster. Now that the Dusters launch is delayed, I will decide on Ertiga once I see it in person.
Lot of minds thinking similarly here

MSIL should have provided - the Yeti has fully detachable rear seats - MSIL missed a trick here as this would have made it even more practical but on the flip side, it might woo buyers away from the Swift. I believe Ertiga is more profitable for MSIL than the Swift though..

Another comment - Innova buyers are mostly upper middle class. Ertiga will cater to the lower/middle middle class

Need to wait for T-BHP review of the diesel with 7 seats loaded. I seriously doubt its suited for highway runs like the Innovas of the world.

Last edited by Equus : 12th April 2012 at 20:39.
Old 12th April 2012, 20:33   #600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My response to the pricing is lukewarm. Think of it this way : What do you get over the Swift? An extra row of seats. That's it. The price difference for that 3rd row of seats is 2 lakh rupees! Not like the 3rd row is exceptionally spacious either.

Yes, the 2nd row does have more space than the Swift (with the seats pushed back) so you have to consider how much that is worth to you. While the Ertiga does have more powerful engines, the Swift is lighter. Thus, expect performance to be similar (or the Swift to be quicker still).
Totally agree. I am not so surprised with the pricing. This infact is Suzuki’s strong point in the sub-10lakh segment. IMO, the Swift is one of the better built car from the Suzuki stable, and it will be interesting to see how the Ertiga rate in strudiness and build quality aspect – which I guess will be extensively covered in the official review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I may not buy this tomorrow but I like what it will do for the segment!
Oh yes, I am quite sure that other manufacturers will soon follow, maybe in a much faster pace than how the crossover /SUV segment is growing. Hope to see the likes of Honda Stream, VW Touran, Ford S-Max etc. on our roads in near future.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks