Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 05:29   #631
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Have you taken the TD of the car yet? 10L is quite an amount of money to splash on a car like this, so please be convinced it's well worth! .
My brother took the test drive. He was considering the top end sunny. at 10.1lakh. Unlike most others who are comparing it with the Innova, for him it was Sunny v/s Ertiga. And for the price v/s utility(mentioned in an earlier post) the decision was easy.

Lot of comments on the thread that ertiga is a stretched swift with a 3rd row at 2 lakh more.

So applying the same logic would it be fair to call the much Hyped Sunny a stretched Micra with a Boot. And that is precisely what you get for a whopping 2.6 lakhs more.

So still the Ertiga is value for money.

Dont you think such comparisons are futile.

I personally feel the Ertiga is more of a STATION WAGON, than a proper MPV,
Think of families having parents along, the car is perfect. Kids put in the last row and grandparents in the middle row. That too at sedan pricing and economy.

I cant imagine a family drive that includes equally sized adults alone. May be in case of Cabs. So saying 3rd row is useless is also very subjective.

Living with a proper MUV is not easy for a hatch owner. The size itself would hamper its daily practicality. With the sedan like propotion of the Ertiga its a practical day to day car and an occasional MPV.

If someone needs such a car go for it. If you are in the market for a car and you think Swift would do your job well then by no means you should consider the Ertiga.

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2012 at 14:06. Reason: Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post.
sureshkishore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 05:30   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
Where can i get Top end Ertiga Diesel for 7.3 ex showroom Delhi.
My bad, completely wrong numbers. Took the pricing of ZXi instead of ZDi. With 8.45L ex-showroom Delhi for the Ertiga, the Top-end Innova still costs 5.09L more i.e. 60% more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Living with a proper MUV is not easy for a hatch owner. The size itself would hamper its daily practicality.
+1
If you cannot afford to own two cars - one for your daily use and other for your family use, this one is a very practical option. IMHO, this is the USP of Ertiga. Practicality and Flexibility. Can be your daily drive. Can carry your family along.

Last edited by sachinayak : 13th April 2012 at 05:41.
Old 13th April 2012, 07:45   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
under 4m and under 1.2 litre petrol 1.5 litre diesel = 12% excise
under 4m above 1.2 litre petrol 1.5 litre diesel = 24% excise (not very sure)
above 4m and under 1.5 litre = 24% excise
above 4m and above 1.5 litre = 27% excise
Are the excise duties applied in slabs? i.e. if the vehicle is far over 4m, does the excise increase if the length is beyond a certain threshold? If not, Maruti-Suzuki could have made the vehicle longer for carrying a full load of passengers and all of their luggage, without having to resort to getting a thule box or luggage rack.
Old 13th April 2012, 08:04   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
- The Innova offers so much more space for its passengers. The 3rd row isn't only for kids in the Innova. And there is space for luggage too.

- The Innova's 2.4 diesel mill is a whole lot more powerful and torquey than the Ertiga's smaller 1.2 MJD.

- Toyota is just as, or even more reliable than Maruti.

So you see, for 4-5 lakhs more, you not only get a proper MUV, you get so much more car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post

Additional Price that you pay - 6.24 L
Additional price in percentage - 85.5%
That is a LOT of money.

2. Capability of seating 7 "comfortably" over long distances - How often does one need that.
3. A more powerful engine - No match for the Ertiga.
1) We recently got our Innova V 7 seater, the new one with factory fitted reverse cam, etc. The first thing I did at dealership was to sit in the last row. Believe me, I was out the very next moment. It was like I was in a jail with very poor backrest angle and poor thigh support.
I would say that Innova's last row of seat is not for adults, unless adults are of relatively small build.
IMO, anybody over 5'3" ( approx ) would not fit in there for long.
And the width is also not enough for 3 adults.

2) The difference of power is around 12 bhp and torque, almost none.
If we factor in power to weight ratio, there wont be much to differentiate.
The point of difference is how the torque is delivered. Innova has a much larger mill, almost double the size of Ertiga's mill and hence the torque is available earlier than in Ertiga.

A 75 bhp, 1.08 tonne Dzire ( the new one ) would leave Innova for dead in a drag race. On highways also, beyond 80-90 kmph, the DDis performs well, but the Innova would slow down.

At the same time, lets reserve the judgements till we get an official TBHP review which would answer all of our questions and assumptions.

3) Agreed, but in the reliability game, we have Maruti name which is quite strong.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 08:29   #635
BHPian

As they say, depreciating assets should be bought based on needs and not wants.
I needed a car which can carry my brother's or friend's or my parents once or twice a year alongwith my family in reasonable comfort for minimal price. However the car should not carry a Taxi image.
Ertiga offers car like comfort, handling and efficiency with extra seats (good enough for kids). It would be safer to mount luggage on top of Ertiga than Xylo (which has much higher CG). The all pervasive service network is added bonus.
As regards to service costs/ durability concerns, these are not a factor for me who drives sedately, drives less (around 5-6K/year) and takes good care of his belongings. My 11 year old Uno still does not rattle as much for its age.

So I have booked Ertiga ZXi.
ajay0612 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 09:13   #636
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Given our pretty challenging road and environmental condition, I wonder how many cars will age well anyway? For a person who does normal maintenance and normal care for a car (like just regular servicing, washing, cleaning etc) and not an auto enthusiast, I would think any brand that sells in India, gives the same sort of life. So its just better to go for the cheapest and most reliable, which would be MSIL?
Its a Perception we Indians still fail to understand

Anyways, looking at the pricing...

Why would i pay more and get an Ertiga. Better with a much better & comfortable Xylo than this cramped Ertiga...????

Mahindra Xylo OTR in Bangalore = 8,89,760/-

Maruti Ertiga OTR in Bangalore = 9,17,000/-

Certainly does not make sense.

Last edited by noopster : 13th April 2012 at 11:15. Reason: Please keep sarcasm out of your posts, thanks!
Old 13th April 2012, 09:15   #637
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My response to the pricing is lukewarm. Think of it this way : What do you get over the Swift? An extra row of seats. That's it. The price difference for that 3rd row of seats is 2 lakh rupees! Not like the 3rd row is exceptionally spacious either.

Yes, the 2nd row does have more space than the Swift (with the seats pushed back) so you have to consider how much that is worth to you. While the Ertiga does have more powerful engines, the Swift is lighter. Thus, expect performance to be similar (or the Swift to be quicker still).
But what if you compare it to the SX4?

SX4 VDi - 8.6L ex-showroom Mumbai
Ertiga VDi - 8.34L

SX4 ZDi - 9.51L ex-showroom Mumbai
Ertiga ZDi - 8.88L

Suddenly the Ertiga makes more sense doesn't it? It's priced lower than the C segment diesel sedans and almost near the Sunny and Etios.

I think that's where people will look at the Ertiga. Instead of a sedan like Etios, Sunny, Vento, Rapid why not the Ertiga?

Expect cross shopping across segments. Someome looking for a premium hatch may look at an Ertiga or a person looking at a sedan may also consider the Ertiga.

Pricing on it's own looks on higher side but when you compare it with others then it start looks promising.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 09:38   #638
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

^^Perfectly said. Thats sums up my thoughts too. People looking at Innova will never consider the Ertiga.
But for somebody looking at dzire, etios, manza for a additional 1.5 lacs
1. Gets a big boot
2. Versatile seating option
3. More powerful engine with better driveability
In the case of SX4, they get all options 1 and 2 cheaper!!!
Old 13th April 2012, 09:49   #639
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar
Woah almost 10 lakhs take home price for diesel top end. Thats way too much. Why not spend a couple of lakhs more and get an innova.

Cheers
If you are comparing it should be like for like. A top end innova retails at almost 15 Lakh on road. That's a straight 50% more and not a marginal difference by any imagination. If you are proposing a lower end variant of the innova then compare the price with a similar spec variant of the Ertiga. In adjacent segments, top end of one car will always be in nodding distance of another vehicle in the next segment.

Ultimately, really depends on one's requirements and what they're willing to pay for it. But personally, I don't think it's priced too close to the innova, based on the above.

Cheerio
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 09:56   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I like what it will do for the segment!
Oh Yes! Ertiga has sure re-opened MUV section from different perspective.

Old players Innova & Xylo were all about:
  • Big displacement
  • Capable Highway cruisers
  • Big on Size, Problamatic in City
Ertiga added following to segment:
  • Car like handling
  • You may need MUV for City driving only
  • Petrol advantage for initial cost
  • Delicate looks
Waiting for other players:
  • Chevy Enjoy
  • Nissan Evalia
  • Missing anything?

Last edited by zalaps : 13th April 2012 at 09:58.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:10   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Waiting for other players:
  • Chevy Enjoy
  • Nissan Evalia
  • Missing anything?
Mini Xylo
Ford Eco Sport
Old 13th April 2012, 10:18   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Mini Xylo
Ford Eco Sport
Mini Xylo and Eco-Sport are 5 - seater at best. I think though stylewise its the Ertiga which should rule, but in practicality EVALIA and ENJOY should beat Ertiga..... Will wait for the launch of these two before buying in this segment. In any case, considering the fight between Ford FIGO and Chevy BEAT and outcome, 2 things are very clear

a) Indian Market sure picks up practicality over style.
b) Diesel is what most customers are looking at, petrol cars are only for those who are tight on budget.

If I am in real hurry I would rather chose one of the existing diesel Sedans.

Also what is this segment to do with the Letter "E"... ERTIGA.... ENJOY...... EVALIA.... Looks like everyone is tryine to convey the size of ELEPHANT here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Top End Ertiga Diesel - 7.3L (ex-showroom New Delhi)
Top End Innova Diesel - 13.54L (ex-showroom New Delhi) as per Toyota India website.

Additional Price that you pay - 6.24 L
Additional price in percentage - 85.5%
That is a LOT of money.
7.3 Lakh for a Top end Ertiga Diesel? Top End Diesel is 8.45 Lakh Ex-showroom in Delhi.

Last edited by anu21v : 13th April 2012 at 10:27.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:20   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) We recently got our Innova V 7 seater, the new one with factory fitted reverse cam, etc. The first thing I did at dealership was to sit in the last row. Believe me, I was out the very next moment. It was like I was in a jail with very poor backrest angle and poor thigh support.
I would say that Innova's last row of seat is not for adults, unless adults are of relatively small build.
IMO, anybody over 5'3" ( approx ) would not fit in there for long.
And the width is also not enough for 3 adults.
I agree with what you have written here. Its a fallacy that Innova can carry 7 in comfort over long distances. I have traveled on the back seat couple of times (once to Ooty and once to Coorg, both 5+ hours drives with multiple breaks) and it was so tiring! The rear bench is strictly for kids in my opinion and its a torture for them too as you can pretty much experience road imperfections as well. Best place in Innova is the captain's seat in the middle. But I will admit that in relative terms, it is much more comfortable than the Xylo's rear bench which is simply atrocious.

I fail to understand the idea of people looking for 7 seaters and claim comforts based on space alone. Space is just one of the dimensions when you talk of comfort.

Coming back to Ertiga, if only Maruti had provided somehting like the magic seats of Jazz!
Old 13th April 2012, 10:34   #644
Senior - BHPian

I really dont understand why people are comparing this wih the innova? Its like saying why should I buy a vento when I can get a civic for some more. Yeah put some more you can get a superb and some more will get you a merc and so on. They are different segments. If maruti wanted an innova beater, they would have made a bigger car and priced it there. The point is what else are the options at that particular price points? We dont have anyother mordern UV options for that price except for diesel which has the xylo.

I have a swift at home. Have driven close to 40 K km in two years. May be ten times in these two years I ve felt for the need of a bigger boot and may be an equal number of times I have felt the need of an additional row only within the city. Most of the time its with three or four people. So many times I have felt the need for a little more spacious rear bench. Yes I can buy an innova and it would suffice all my needs plus I can take it out on to the highway with seven people easily. But does my financial state allow me to plonk 13lakh plus for this when all I need for most of my usage is a spacious car with ocassional flexibility of a big boot and an extra row albiet only for short durations?
I think there will be many Urban Indians with similar needs. What are the other options available at the price point? Sedans like manza etios sunny etc and premium hatches like jazz i20 polo etc. I think ertiga is a value proposition for such people. It may not exactly be a killer product at killer price, nor is it an overpriced one. Its a good product at decent price. I dont see it flying off the shelves but wont be a looser either. In my opinion does provide good value to many buyers specially since we dont have any other players in the price band offering the same product. Let there be some competition then we can see if Ertiga is overpriced or VFM.
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 10:53   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
a) Indian Market sure picks up practicality over style.
b) Diesel is what most customers are looking at, petrol cars are only for those who are tight on budget.
I disagree with the first one as if this is correct then why the Swift sells 4 times than Ritz which is far more practical. Seems more of herd mentality which is further proved by point 2 of yours as many people are going in for Diesel cars without looking their average usage.
And as regards Non-Taxi image of Ertiga, it is a matter of few days. Infact the majority of the bookings are done by Taxiwallas only (as per T-BHP posts) and why not if for majority of in-city usage, Ertiga with Diesel mill (not there in Eeco) is the best solution.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed