Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 23:58   #691
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Do we know what state of tune does the DDiS have in Ertiga? Is it the Swift's 75 PS one or SX4's 90 PS one? I see comparisons to Swift's engine, in that case why did Maruti not have the higher powered one? Atleast, Maruti could have provided a choice, no?
Old 14th April 2012, 00:10   #692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Do we know what state of tune does the DDiS have in Ertiga? Is it the Swift's 75 PS one or SX4's 90 PS one? I see comparisons to Swift's engine, in that case why did Maruti not have the higher powered one? Atleast, Maruti could have provided a choice, no?
It's SX4 90 PS VGT variant of 1.3 MJD. Even the 90 bhp version is going to be a "cruiser" only. Forget 75 bhp getting into this engine; that's too less for a 7 seater!
Old 14th April 2012, 00:11   #693
BHPian

Quote:
It is indeed the VGT from the SX4 (same as Linea/Manza) churning out 90HP and 200nm torque.
Old 14th April 2012, 00:13   #694
BHPian

Quote:
It is the 90 bhp version with vgt a la sx4.
Old 14th April 2012, 00:15   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
One point i like to mention is, Ertiga will be much cheaper to maintain than Innova. With small engines like K series & India engine Multi jet for Diesel, the maintenance cost will be much less than of Innova. May be less than half Plus its a Maruti, so service will be available everywhere & parts availability will be good. So people will prefer Ertiga here.
LUV
As you have commented on K series and Multijet, I do hope you did your homework on the KD series that does duty in the Innova (2KD-FTV to be precise). Would you be able to throw more light on your kind assessment that resulted in the "less than half" maintenance cost forecast. Have you compared the service cost, service interval, parts longevity, accidental repairs.

I ask this as I own both a Maruti (the Baleno Lxi) and an Toyota (the Innova Vx). The Innova costs nearly the same to service and nothing ever breaks down anyway, so why replace parts? The Baleno has done 75k and the Innova 40k. The Baleno, while has aged gracefully w/o any part failures, the Innova feels it was bought last month - no rattles, no niggles, nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
I am not sure whether you sat inside a Xylo and checked out the rear seat space. It has better seat space when compared with Innova, IMO. All reviews says this as well.
Agree on the space but the middle row in Innova slides and that can free up good space at the last row. I am 181 cms and have travelled in the last row on 500+ km drives. The "movers and shakers" ride in Xylo means that the Innova's flat and poised situation is far far more comfortable for most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Comparison with Innova is futile. The two are in two separate leagues. Whatever its USP you cannot commute in it daily.
While the comparison is futile, it is inevitable. Each and every person that I saw in the Maruti showroom today was trying to compare the Innova and it's price to Ertiga. On ur point reg commute - I have a Baleno and an Innova and still drive the Innova daily. It is no more difficult to drive and feels safer as well as it is cheaper to run. The only point is getting used to the girth. That means 15 days of careful driving and then one can use it as a daily commuter so long as parking is not a big issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Most comments are based on heresy rather than actual experience of even seeing an Ertiga :-).
Just experienced Ertiga inside out. The space is adequate and I, an adult of 5'6" sat alongwith my 2 sons (10.5 & 6 year old) and did not feel cramped in the third row even after sliding middle row half backwards. The last row might be uncomfortable for taller persons but that equally is the case with Innova's third row. Innova has edge only in the luggage space.
The car's dashboard and interiors feel premium and quite aesthetic. I am falling in LUV already :-).
I agree that the space is OK but the Innova last row is far more comfortable as it has a better back support and comes with a recliner and better head rests. I could not find a comfortable 3rd row seating posture in the Ertiga and wound not travel lond distances in that position, which I would in an Innova. Dashboard looks ok but some of the door trims ae definitely cheap plastics - try pushing the Door grips in the inner trims and you will see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
I have to agree with "aaggoswami" to some extent.
  • Personally I have been in the last (3rd) row in Innova, but not so much or so many times (at least not in the recent past), but from what I can recall, the experience was ordinary in terms of space and comfort.
  • A couple of my friends and their friends on various occasions haven't spoken very highly of the last (3rd) row experience of theirs in Innova.
  • I have also been in the last (3rd) row in Tavera and I remember having a slightly better experience than the ones in Innova.
  • The friends that I mentioned above have had a word of praise for their experience in the last (3rd) row of Tavera.
  • As for Xylo, most people comment that the last (3rd) row comfort is less than average._
I believe that 3rd row of Innova is the best compared to both Tavera (Cramped) and Xylo (Bumpy). Time will tell but my first impresssion is that it is hugely superior to the Ertiga as well. The proof of pudding is in eating - If the last row of the Ertiga is better than the Innova - the Ertiga would take over the taxi market from it completely, what with it being cheaper to hire. On the same lines, if Tavera had a better 3rd row, why do people pay 30% extra to hire Innova's today ??

The Ertiga is terrific value for money and I see it selling like hot cakes. Maybe even overtake Innova in terms of volumes - Innova costs nearly 60% more for the same trim! But to me, it is still the better and much superior L/MPV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Just did a TD of the Ertiga - great VFM !
3. Tyres lost grip pretty fast - but then Gurgaon Faridabad pahari with its sweeping curves and undulations is always a test at high speeds !
4. .
Do you think the "One Lakh Km" Goodyear Duraplus is to blame here? Higher mileage generally translates in lower grip.

Note From Team-BHP Support-Team: Consecutive posts are discouraged on the forum, and will be looked at as an attempt at increasing post-count. Please avoid back-to-back posts. use the 'EDIT' function within the 30-minute time-frame. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th April 2012 at 11:38.
Old 14th April 2012, 01:29   #696
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012 - Last Row Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I believe that 3rd row of Innova is the best compared to both Tavera (Cramped) and Xylo (Bumpy). Time will tell but my first impresssion is that it is hugely superior to the Ertiga as well. The proof of pudding is in eating - If the last row of the Ertiga is better than the Innova - the Ertiga would take over the taxi market from it completely, what with it being cheaper to hire. On the same lines, if Tavera had a better 3rd row, why do people pay 30% extra to hire Innova's today ??
I totally agree with that Buffetfan.

If we are talking about 3rd row comfort in specific, there is currently no vehicle in India that can come close to Innova in this front except Merc-RL. I'm 6', traveled in 3rd row on couple of 400+ km stretches and found it very comfortable. Minivans are hard to beat when it comes to all row comfort.

Etriga is a great city alternative for day to day use with an occasional third row pop though.
Old 14th April 2012, 11:13   #697
Senior - BHPian

A detailed comparo of Ertiga & Xylo from my side -

Yesterday, I did a back to back comparo of the Xylo and the Ertiga. Ideally, I feel the Ertiga belongs to a different segment and is not a typical people mover and hence should not be considered as a Xylo competitor, but we will come to that later. First lets talk about the diesel Ertiga as the Xylo does not come with petrol.

Diesel Ertiga comes in 3 variants - LDi, VDi and Zdi. When comparing the specs-

Ertiga VDi compares with Xylo D4:
* Ertiga VDi has ABS whereas Xylo does not have.
* Ertiga VDi has front & rear fog light which Xylo does not have.
* Xylo does not have a music system.

BUT, Xylo is cheaper by Rs. 71,500/-.

Alternatively, you can even compare the Ertiga VDi with Xylo E4:
* Xylo comes with a much more powerful mEagle engine.
* Xylo comes with rear wash & wipe, Ertiga does not.
* Xylo does not have music system, Ertiga has.
* Both cars have ABS (optional in Xylo).
* Xylo does not have body coloured bumpers.

Even here, the Xylo E4 with optional ABS is cheaper than Ertiga VDi by Rs. 13400/-. For this money, you can paint the bumpers in body colour at the A.S.S. itself!

It only when we compare the top end Xylo E8 (with optional ABS and Airbags) with the Ertiga Zdi, the Xylo turns out to be more expensive by Rs. 46000/-. But we all know how fully loaded the top end Xylo is when compared to the Ertiga. So, those 46k is totally worth it.

Some salient points -

* All diesel variants in Ertiga come with ABS + EBD as standard!
* Prices mentioned are ex-showroom, Mumbai.
* Prices of of BS IV Xylo are considered. Please note that Xylo also comes in BS III variants, which would push prices further down.
* For obvious reasons, we are not comparing the Xylo E9 with the mHawk engine with the Ertiga!
* Please note that I have not test driven the Ertiga, so I cant comment on the space, ride & handling. But by the looks of it, I can assume that space would be much better in the Xylo whereas ride & handling of Ertiga will be much better.

Conclusion :

Who would I buy an Ertiga? I am getting a bigger vehicle (Xylo) with more space, more power & equivalent features for lesser money... Also, Mahindras can withstand more abuse than Suzukis.

If I am a city dweller who rarely venture out on the highways & want a compact yet versatile city car, then the Ertiga makes a lot of sense. Also, Xylo does not have a petrol engine. The petrol Ertiga costs 6.23 Lacs ex showroom Mumbai. Makes a lot of sense for someone with a tight budget and low running.

IMHO, I feel only the petrol Ertiga makes sense because of its low purchase price. As soon as we consider the diesel Ertiga, the value of money Xylo seems to be a better bet, for someone who is looking at a 7 seater MUV. Ertiga should be basically used as a 5 seater car with great luggage space or in some rare occasions, 2 more people squeezed in. Can we actually call it a people mover? I guess NO.
raj_5004 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 12:07   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Agree on the space but the middle row in Innova slides and that can free up good space at the last row. I am 181 cms and have travelled in the last row on 500+ km drives. The "movers and shakers" ride in Xylo means that the Innova's flat and poised situation is far far more comfortable for most people.
[/b]
On the ride comfort, No one can beat Innova. Damn ahead of the rest. Xylo feels like sitting in a Volvo bus. But just the space, i believe Xylo is little ahead of Innova. You can slide the middle row as well in Xylo 2012 model.

Last edited by sbala : 14th April 2012 at 12:08.
Old 14th April 2012, 12:24   #699
Senior - BHPian

I checked out this car at the Delhi Auto Show and i wasn't impressed, especially at the asking price. The only positive is it's size which makes it easy to park in tight spaces in apartment buildings etc., unlike the Innova, Xylo et alia. So, Maruti-Suzuki may just be on to something with this car and they do their research well.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-249.jpg  

Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-285.jpg  

Old 14th April 2012, 12:30   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Alternatively, you can even compare the Ertiga VDi with Xylo E4:

* Xylo does not have body coloured bumpers.
all variants of the Xylo have body colored bumpers except D2 .

Mahindra Xylo Models, Variants & Features - Mileage of Xylo

rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 14th April 2012 at 12:31.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 13:08   #701

With launch of Ertiga, I guess SX4 Diesel sales will be very much impacted.
Old 14th April 2012, 13:15   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Conclusion :

Who would I buy an Ertiga? I am getting a bigger vehicle (Xylo) with more space, more power & equivalent features for lesser money... Also, Mahindras can withstand more abuse than Suzukis.
Anyone out in the market looking for a "car" does not even consider Xylo (or tavera). Its a different segment altogether.
Otherwise, Xylo would have already snatched a good amount of share from SX4, Manza, Vento, Rapid, Verna and Honda City. Ertiga is an alternative to these sedans since it is car-like.
Even people considering hatchbacks might start looking at Ertiga as an option. And petrol is definitely good for people with low running.

I plan to upgrade next year. I had made up my mind that Vento (or Rapid) will be my next car or the Jazz if I decide on a hatchback. But now the Etiga has suddenly started looking a better (read: more practical) option.

Last edited by anuragn : 14th April 2012 at 13:20.
Old 14th April 2012, 13:29   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
all variants of the Xylo have body colored bumpers except D2 .

Mahindra Xylo Models, Variants & Features - Mileage of Xylo

rgds,
Nikhil
Thank you!

So that makes the Xylo even more value for money. So, for that Rs. 13400/-, you can have an aftermarket music system!
Old 14th April 2012, 15:10   #704
BHPian

The V model's audio system looks different. much smaller display unit. Is not as upmarket as the z one. Might be functionally same, but look and feel is different.

The cabin lights. One is in front of the first row. and the second, is behind the 3rd row. not quite sure why it is like that. second light is not accessible from middle row. probably it also acts as an boot light. but still the location dose not make sense.

The overhead ac blower, looks well integrated. not like the one in safari. But, when I pushed the fabric surrounding it, the whole thing kind of wobbled/rattled.

The mid ac vents, doesn't seem to close 100%. the driver side ac vent was already broken.

Regarding the legroom, the passenger side seat front row, was cramped for the length of leg. you cant stretch out the legs. the floor was little forward and was raising upwards. feet were resting in a uncomfortable angle. Is this same as swift?

When head rest on the 3rd row is removed, and when the 3rd row is folded down, there is good leg room for middle row. For me, it ticks the most important used config. 2 rows with huge boot.

Jazz is way more intelligent, with way those magic seats are designed. ertiga has cut corners on this. could have been more flexible.

Overall, when fully loaded, 2 of the 3 rows can only seat five and half feet or less taller adults, comfortably.

I might go for the slightly expensive vdi. and this decision is possible only because of the average height of my family. And i dont need that bulky xylo.

Last edited by gkrishn : 14th April 2012 at 15:15.
Old 14th April 2012, 15:12   #705
BHPian

I also managed to do a TD of the Ertiga Zxi today after having driven the Zdi yesterday. Post the Zxi drive, I once again did a TD of the ZDi. Now for some insights on the Zxi.

I drove this with 5 people on board. The engine is quite silent at Idle RPM. The engine is quite responsive initially and did not judder even when I left the clutch without stepping on the accelerator. I felt it to be as good or may be slightly better than my SX4 (2007 model) in terms of Pick up. However, the Mid range seems to be a disappointment. On the same stretch of road in the ZDi yesterday, I could easily hit highway speeds, while ZXi, I felt needs to be revved hard and struggles a bit. On the positive side,you get a super refined engine which is rev happy, though it tends to get a little coarse at higher RPMs. In city drive ability is good, while I believe the highway cruising will not be that great. I could not get further empty stretch of road today to test higher RPMs.

I again TD the ZDi but now with 6 adults on board. There is clearly lag below 1.5K rpm, but then after 2K, there is a spring though a mild one. The ZDi definitely felt eager to conquer the highways and is far easier on long empty stretches of road. The Petrol has a better initial pick up, but the diesel clearly out runs the Petrol once the lag is overcome. The diesel of course is noisier of the two, but not to an extent of irritation or botheration.

Of course there is a significant price difference of close to 1.25L between the ZXI and ZDi and it all boils down to the monthly running for an individual. In my case though the monthly running may not be significant, I believe the diesel would be better for long drives with the extended family, more from a better cruising capability of the diesel.

So, finally booked a ZDi (Firebrick Red) with a booking amount of Rs 20k. No idea on the delivery date, though I have been promised delivery as quickly as possible. I would get to know the date on Tuesday. I would definitely not be willing to wait beyond 3 months, and hopefully will be lucky to not cancel my booking. I would be selling off my wagon R and hopefully wifey will be able to drive the Ertiga without too much of a hassle. For long highway drives, I will take over the driver's seat . Her choice was the Jazz, but Honda dealers here are not taking any bookings for Jazz. This I believe is a perfect substitute for jazz with the benefit of a diesel engine.

My earlier review is in the link below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2745345

Last edited by nurni76 : 14th April 2012 at 15:27.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed