Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2012, 15:25   #706
BANNED

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Anyone out in the market looking for a "car" does not even consider Xylo (or tavera). Its a different segment altogether.
Otherwise, Xylo would have already snatched a good amount of share from SX4, Manza, Vento, Rapid, Verna and Honda City. Ertiga is an alternative to these sedans since it is car-like.
Even people considering hatchbacks might start looking at Ertiga as an option. And petrol is definitely good for people with low running.
Exactly my thoughts.
And even the regular xylo is very disproportionate to look at, the 4m xylo will be very much ugly and diproportionate. None will consider xylo as a hatchback / sedan competitor, or even car-like. But that's not the case with ertiga. It will have much better acceptibility as a car.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 15:29   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone out in the market looking for a "car" does not even consider Xylo (or tavera). Its a different segment altogether.
Otherwise, Xylo would have already snatched a good amount of share from SX4, Manza, Vento, Rapid, Verna and Honda City. Ertiga is an alternative to these sedans since it is car-like.
Even people considering hatchbacks might start looking at Ertiga as an option. And petrol is definitely good for people with low running.

I plan to upgrade next year. I had made up my mind that Vento (or Rapid) will be my next car or the Jazz if I decide on a hatchback. But now the Etiga has suddenly started looking a better (read: more practical) option.
Exactly so in my case. I was looking for a hatch for my wife and she was very particular on the Jazz. Since Jazz bookings were closed, Ertiga happened to be a perfect substitute.
Old 14th April 2012, 15:47   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Or if a car is 4.2 m but engine is 1.2 litre, then is the car entitled to no cuts at all?
Yes, this is correct.
Tax is applicable on fully-furnished car as such, not on its components alone.
Old 14th April 2012, 16:33   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Exactly so in my case. I was looking for a hatch for my wife and she was very particular on the Jazz. Since Jazz bookings were closed, Ertiga happened to be a perfect substitute.
And exactly so in my case now. My current car is a Wagon R.
Anyway, if I remember correctly, the Ertiga weighs over 1700 kg, so the power/weight ratio should be very poor.
Old 14th April 2012, 16:36   #710
BHPian

I see many people did test drive, what's the top speed and how vehicle ride and control say at 160 Kmph.
Old 14th April 2012, 18:00   #711
BHPian

My 2p on the Xylo v/s Ertiga debate

Ertiga looks like a proper family car. You can happily drive around alone without you being looked upon like a driver ? I haven't seen many people inside the city using Xylo for the city commute. In city driving for personal use, i do not think a person considering Ertiga would even look at the Xylo.

Xylo lacks that premium image/feel. Car buying at-least in this segment is some what aspirational too and Xylo cannot compete with Ertiga on that front.

The wife can take the Ertiga out on a shopping trip, what about the Xylo?

Because the Ertiga is a lot lighter when compared to the Xylo, its performance figures actually better those of the Xylo. Fuel efficiency as suggested by the reviews is top notch too.

Ride: No contest as Xylo suffers from excessive vertical movement and people with motion sickness need to have plenty of puke stops in the Xylo. From all the reviews so far, Ertiga's ride is one of its highlights. Its ride is flat and hence you do not feel like throwing up on a bumpy stretch.

Xylo handles like a boat. Ertiga is handles great according the reviews. Although it rolls a bit, its body roll is well controlled.

Steering feedback : Ertiga has a better steering feedback while Xylo's is lifeless devoid of feel.

The interiors have a much better feel inside the Ertiga, while Xylo is good but it lacks that premium feel.

The sales and service network of Maruti is the best in the country so the Ertiga has an edge here also.

Xylo has more space on the inside and its third row is more roomier.

So in a nutshell..

Xylo makes sense for people who have chauffeurs and people who do not do much self driving inside the city.

Xylo makes sense for people who more often than not have a full complement of passengers.

Xylo is preferred by people in tier 2/3 cities where the conditions are bad and because of the Ladder frame construction Xylo is much more capable than the Ertiga when it comes to dealing with the rough stuff.

FOR EVERYBODY ELSE :ERTIGA MAKES MORE SENSE

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 14th April 2012 at 18:04.
needforspeed88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 18:46   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And exactly so in my case now. My current car is a Wagon R.
Anyway, if I remember correctly, the Ertiga weighs over 1700 kg, so the power/weight ratio should be very poor.
Nopes. Its around 1.2 Ton. 1.7 would have been the fully laden weight.
Old 14th April 2012, 18:49   #713
BHPian

just had a quick look at the vehicle. These are quick points-
-All the seats are spacious and comfortable(I am 5feet 8inch)
-You can slide the middle row seat back for about 10 cms After removing the 3rd row's headseast and than folding it.
-door panel fitting felt flimsy.
-ac took a while to cool the cabin and the air coming out of the rear blower was not that cool.
- even though ground clearance is rated 185 mm yet it grounded easily while car was being shifted in the showroom(with only driver onboard)(can be attributed to rather long wheelbase).
Was not able to drive due to shortage of time.
All the above comparisons are wrt my 80k old ford fusion.
It is one of few cars which can be considered as fusion replacement.
Old 14th April 2012, 18:51   #714
BHPian

^^@needforspeed88: Fantastic points mate!

I just returned after a brief TD of the ZXi (don't need diesel) since this will be the third car with low city running and occasional highway runs with 5 adults & a kid on board. Couldn't spend much time as anumber of people were waiting in queue. The K14 engine is super silent at startup and the initial pickup is good. The mid range seemed reasonable with 4 on board (don't expect sprightly performance). I was worried about ease of city driving in case my wife decides to take it out but it turned out to be superb in that respect. The turning radius is comfortable, it just doesn't feel like an MUV which fits my requirement perfectly. Another TD sometime this week with a full load and I think the chequebook will be out. What's better, the petrol variants seem to be readily available. I would've loved a black color option though! Sigh!!!
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 20:00   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Xylo lacks that premium image/feel. Car buying at-least in this segment is some what aspirational too and Xylo cannot compete with Ertiga on that front.
I think that people buy a 7 seater for utility rather than looks. If premium image is priority, then one should not even look at the Ertiga.

I heard that, to fold the third row seats in the Ertiga, you have to push the second row forward which leaves with very little leg room in the second row. Then what is the purpose of such a vehicle? Where is the utility? You either get legroom in the second row without boot space or you get cramped in the second row with lots of boot space!

Even if we dont compare it with Xylo & if we considere it as an upgrade from a sedan, whats the use when you cant use that legroom in the middle row?

No doubt, this vehicle would be way ahead in terms of ride, handling & fuel efficiency when compared to Xylo, but what about utility?

Going to check the car tomorrow. Will probably get a clear idea then.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th April 2012 at 20:12.
Old 14th April 2012, 20:57   #716
BANNED

Quote:
My 2p on the Xylo v/s Ertiga debate

Quote:
My 2p on the Xylo v/s Ertiga debateErtiga looks like a proper family car. You can happily drive around alone without you being looked upon like a driver ? I haven't seen many people inside the city using Xylo for the city commute. In city driving for personal use, i do not think a person considering Ertiga would even look at the Xylo.
So, anyone one owning and driving a xylo is looked upon as a driver ? In the same light then anyone drving a vintage car could potentially be looked upon as a person who is broke and who cannot afford a fancy new car . There are a lot of people who do use the xylo , safari , innova , tavera for commuting . Sometimes people like the space , the ability to carry stuff and the flexibility . Especially someone who flies frequently and has a bit of luggage to be carried etc . Some times people tend to buy something for a need rather than just buy something because it creates a better impression .

Quote:
My 2p on the Xylo v/s Ertiga debateXylo lacks that premium image/feel. Car buying at-least in this segment is some what aspirational too and Xylo cannot compete with Ertiga on that front.
In India , people tend to accomodate aspirations with respect to value as well . Not many people have the kind of money to just go and buy something because a product meets their aspirations .

Quote:
My 2p on the Xylo v/s Ertiga debateThe wife can take the Ertiga out on a shopping trip, what about the Xylo?
Why not ?? I thought indian women had equal rights .

Quote:
My 2p on the Xylo v/s Ertiga debateBecause the Ertiga is a lot lighter when compared to the Xylo, its performance figures actually better those of the Xylo. Fuel efficiency as suggested by the reviews is top notch too.
These are really subjective . most of the reviews do not fully load the vehicle to the gross weight of the vehicle and do test drives . I would trust a test drive without a fully laden vehicle and the speed should be a comfortable cruising speed .

Ride: No contest as Xylo suffers from excessive vertical movement and people with motion sickness need to have plenty of puke stops in the Xylo. From all the reviews so far, Ertiga's ride is one of its highlights. Its ride is flat and hence you do not feel like throwing up on a bumpy stretch.
Why compare only the xylo , pls compare it with rest of the 7 seaters from other manufacturers .
Old 15th April 2012, 12:36   #717
Senior - BHPian

Had a look at Ertiga Today, but did not do TD.

1) Last of row of seat has better back rest angle than Innova. I found it to be slightly on more comfortable side as far as seat is concerned. With middle row set properly, the space in last row is good.

2) Felt slightly more airier than Innova in the last row.

3) Middle row is awesome. We recently have purchased 7 seater Innova and still I would say that Ertiga has a very nice middle row. Massive sliding range.

4) Driving position is spot on. Moreover, its not too huge as Innova.

5) Two big bags can fit vertically even after all rows of seats are in place.

Overall, a nice car that has got seating, packaging right and can be used for both, city and highway.

My friend who previously owned Innova had a TD yesterday.

-> Very good pulling and cruising ability
-> Very nice suspension
-> Nice space.
-> Overall VFM and even looks good.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 15:37   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Had a look at Ertiga Today, but did not do TD.
-> Very good pulling and cruising ability
-> Very nice suspension
-> Nice space.
-> Overall VFM and even looks good.
I had a look at the Ertiga today and share very different views. Came back totally disappointed.

Forget Innova, the Ertiga is not even a match to the Grande or Xylo in terms of space. And what I mentioned here is true -

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I heard that, to fold the third row seats in the Ertiga, you have to push the second row forward which leaves with very little leg room in the second row. Then what is the purpose of such a vehicle? Where is the utility? You either get legroom in the second row without boot space or you get cramped in the second row with lots of boot space!
This car is not meant for tall people. I am 6'2". When the last row is folded, the middle row has to be pushed forward, so much that there is no space in the middle row. With an driver of average height in front, I had a tough time sitting in the middle row. If I sit in the driver's seat, it is impossible for anyone to sit behind me.

Pics of myself sitting in the middle row with a driver/person of average height in front -

Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-dsc_1119.jpg
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-dsc_1121.jpg

Coming to the third row, if I cant sit in the middle row, less said about the third row, the better! In the second row, 3 adults cant sit comfortably too.

The issue with the Ertiga is - it is neither a proper 5 seater nor a proper 7 seater. It is somewhere in between. Just after sitting in the Ertiga, we went to check out the Xylo. And it was tremendously spacious, when compared to the Ertiga. Infact, even the 3rd row of Xylo is more spacious than the 2nd row of Ertiga (with Ertiga's 3rd row folded).

On road prices Mumbai:

Ertiga :

LXi - 691134
VXi - 752981
ZXi - 849114
LDi - 853251
VDi - 922147
ZDi - 981349

Xylo :

D2 - 853503
D4 - 900797
E4 - 941340
E4 ABS - 971052
E8 ABS - 1056284
E8 ABS AIRBAG - 1100872
E9 mHawk - 1204499

I dont see any reason why you should buy the Ertiga unless you are buying a petrol car or you are a Maruti loyalist. As said before, spec to spec, the Ertiga VDi compares with Xylo E4 ABS. Xylo costs 49k more, which I feel is worth it, considering you get a more powerful engine, proper AC vents in rear seats, much more space & genuine 3 rows of seating. If you are comparing ZDi with E8, then of course the Xylo is much more expensive since the E8 is feature loaded.

Waiting period in Mumbai for Eritga :

Diesel = 5-6 months
Petrol = 3-4 months

Last edited by raj_5004 : 15th April 2012 at 16:02.
raj_5004 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 16:18   #719
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the ertiga near maruti showroom, looked a bit small to me, don't know how they managed to squeeze in 7 seats there.

I doubt how the comfortable will be the passengers in the last row, i guess even kids will have hard time sitting there.

On the whole, i will never buy ertiga, i can't digest myself paying more then 2 lakhs over swift zdi just for the sake of having 7 seats. Only thing which eritga scores over swift is boot space with last row folded in, there is good boot space, but i will either buy a diesel sedan aka vento/ rapid instead of buying ertiga for just boot space.

But she'll be a sureshot success in market because of maruti name with it and oil burner under the hood.

P.S all of the above are my personal views, no offense to anyone

Cheers
Sameer
Old 15th April 2012, 16:57   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I dont see any reason why you should buy the Ertiga unless you are buying a petrol car or you are a Maruti loyalist. As said before, spec to spec, the Ertiga VDi compares with Xylo E4 ABS. Xylo costs 49k more, which I feel is worth it, considering you get a more powerful engine, proper AC vents in rear seats, much more space & genuine 3 rows of seating. If you are comparing ZDi with E8, then of course the Xylo is much more expensive since the E8 is feature loaded.

Waiting period in Mumbai for Eritga :

Diesel = 5-6 months
Petrol = 3-4 months
It is not just the cost and powerful engine, I think people are looking for overall package.
1. City drive ability, include parking too.
2. Fuel efficiency.
3. If you are only few times 7 people travelling.
5. The riding comfort. if you travel in xylo for more than an hour , you will know what I mean.
etc.

I think comparison with xylo is fruitless exercise, both have their own places.

Also we have to understand that people with 6+ feet height will have inconvenience in any of smaller cars even most sedans.

-SB
Closed Thread

Most Viewed