Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2012, 08:27   #781
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Didn't someone mention that the third row headrests can be removed to push the 2nd row seats back and thereby liberating more space? I sure think I read that somewhere.
Yes. The seats can be pushed back by a bit more than half the maximum travel, which is good enough. With headrests in place, seats can't be pushed back, however it is extremely easy to remove the headrests by pushing a button and pulling them out.
ajay0612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 08:41   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) We recently got our Innova V 7 seater, the new one with factory fitted reverse cam, etc. The first thing I did at dealership was to sit in the last row. Believe me, I was out the very next moment. It was like I was in a jail with very poor backrest angle and poor thigh support.
I would say that Innova's last row of seat is not for adults, unless adults are of relatively small build.
IMO, anybody over 5'3" ( approx ) would not fit in there for long.
And the width is also not enough for 3 adults.
I am 181 cms tall, have a slipped disc and can travel 400 -500 kms in the last row of Innova easily. Have you tried using the lever for adjusting the backrest angle? Additionally, pull up the massive head rests provided that kind of double up as the backrest extenders. One needs to spend 30 seconds adjusting it and the seat transforms from a kid seat to one that can provide good comfort to even a tall adult.

The Ertiga backrest fares pretty poorly IMHO, compared to the Innova, what with limited leg space and a fixed backrest that cannot be adjusted

Last edited by Buffetfan : 17th April 2012 at 08:43.
Buffetfan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 08:41   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
that was a very nice report. really appreciate the time spent on sharing this.
I actually hate this arm rest. tried sitting int the middle? it was pretty uncomfortable. thus reducing the middle row, for just 2 people.
I didn't try sitting for long on the middle seat of 2nd row. Will try it out next time I visit the showroom. Anyway, I loved that arm rest ( its function as an arm rest )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
It is almost walk in (I mean tad less than walk in :-).

Today test drove ZDi. Although there is a surge of power near 1800-2000rpm, nevertheless at start-up, it does not feel under-powered (maybe because of I & II gear being short while 3rd being long). The vehicle is perfectly capable of lugging full load.
Is it the same gear ratio as the SX4 diesel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I didn't get you on this. The third row has enough legroom or not? Because the only time the third row will be used is when the front two rows are already occupied. So the legroom there has to be judged with the other 2 rows occupied.
3rd row provides enough leg room for short travels where you don't need to stretch your legs. You will have to stick to 90 degree angle. But, it felt comfortable ( maybe, due to the depth of the seat ). And on a short trip, the probability of finding atleast 2 medium sized people out of 7 will be high which means the 3rd row is indeed a useful seat. With what I saw, I ( 172 cms height ) personally do not mind travelling on the 3rd row at all for short trips. The ac vents on top of the 2nd row is a welcome addition as well. It's available on all variants except the lowest variants ( of Petrol and DIesel ).

For long trips, it's a 5-seater or at the most 5-seater + 1 kid because anyway you'll have to use some of the space in the 3rd row for luggage on long trips. I guess, it's the same with Innova and Xylo as well. Luggage space on boot is limited for this class of vehicles. So, if you have to carry 7 persons for a long trip, carrying the luggage for 7 people becomes almost impossible on these 7-seaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Wow Amalji, that's some detail, great job! Hey, the model in the red shirt is doing a great job for Maruti
Yeah, his name is Balaji. He was interested in buying the Ertiga. So, I said, we will go and check it out. It was his camera that was used, and he agreed to do the modelling part as well. Thank, you Balaji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Actually it is the other way around. With the last row folded down, the middle row leg room is shortened :(
A bug, imo. Coming from a station wagon, i was hoping this could be the car. But this could be a show stopper for me. I want a small, wagon type vehicle with 5 seats with lot of space. +2 is a bonus.
As @ajay0612 has mentioned, the head rests of 3rd row can be removed to free up more space to slide the 2nd row. Go and carefully check the vehicle out. Even though, on first look, you might get a feel that some utility is not possible with Ertiga, it's very likely that it's possible. Maruti has put a lot of thought on utilizing the space in the best possible manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
That would be great, considering I lay lot of stress on this particular feature. In other words, ease of usership!

Will be going to check hands on Tomorrow. Hope the ingress/egress is higher than in the Swift/Dzire.
It seemed to be higher than the Swift/Dzire for sure. I did not give focus on that particular aspect during my visit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Amalji,
Thanks for the wealth of info. that you have given in a crisp pictorial review.

The only thing that was not featured in pics was the engine bay and the underbody.

Saw two Ertigas today and they looked chic.
Sorry for missing out on that. Since, I did not get a chance to drive it, I was concentrating only on the interiors. Next time, I'll post the engine bay and underbody. Maybe, GTO will come up with his best review before that.

Last edited by amalji : 17th April 2012 at 08:51.
Old 17th April 2012, 09:36   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Reason is, the rear AC vents does not have its own compressor, like in Innova & Xylo. The rear AC vents are merely like an exhaust fan which has opening on both sides. It sucks in cold air from the front and throws it behind. More like the rear AC vents of the Nissan Sunny and not like the Vento/Verna.
Are you sure that the higher end Innova & Xylo which have rear AC vents have two compressors ?

To the best of my knowledge, its adding another evaporator coil and not adding second compressor. Having two compressors would have a very big impact on engine ( and FE ). But still I am not sure, from what I have read, its adding another evaporator coil. Thats why these mods are done even outside ( other than Authorized A.S & S network ).

Also, having two compressors would raise question like when will the second compressor start, only when rear AC vents are switched ON ? Or when the AC is switched on in the front ( common switch for both compressors ).

Do confirm and if possible, update the thread.

EDIT :
A few links to thread of second row AC aftermarket kits:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ploaded-2.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ta-innova.html

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th April 2012 at 09:39.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 10:28   #785
AWD
BHPian

Comparing to Xylo is fruitless. Ertiga is going to be a class leading vehicle, therefore comparison should come from present class leaders. Further Xylo is a flawed product with poor Handling & lack of safety.

@Amalji, thanks. I will try out the vehicle today.

Btw what are the delivery timelines as of now & how many bookings across India?
Old 17th April 2012, 11:23   #786
BHPian

Comparing the Ertiga to the Innova is quite pointless...Those who have the moolah will go for Innova anyday...the sheer comfort that Innova offers makes it a worthy buy.
Ertiga is positioned to lure the middle class who were thinking of upgrading from a hatckback to a sedan.For the price range, you suddenly have the option of a semblance of an SUV. A multi-functioning car, the luxury of offering to carry 7 people like an SUV, the option of hauling your entire family luggage on a long trip without worrying about boot space, and the sheer feel of a big car. Those who drive in the streets in hatchbacks will know how the feeling of intimidation that a passing SUV generates. This Ertiga gives a feel good factor about that as well.

Compare the Ertiga with the likes of Etios, Manza Dezire etc, and suddenly it seems to be more value for the same amount of money. I am still skeptical about the third row of seats and the overall package. But as far as judging consumer mindset is concerned, maruti has hit the bulls eye.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:49   #787
Senior - BHPian

GTO - sorry for being impatient. You mentioned a review this week. Can we expect it sometime soon?
Old 17th April 2012, 11:58   #788
BHPian

Saw an Ertiga VDi on the road today. Looked almost as huge as an Innova from side-on. A comprehensive TBHP report will be eagerly awaited.
Old 17th April 2012, 12:12   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) We recently got our Innova V 7 seater, the new one with factory fitted reverse cam, etc. The first thing I did at dealership was to sit in the last row. Believe me, I was out the very next moment. It was like I was in a jail with very poor backrest angle and poor thigh support.
I would say that Innova's last row of seat is not for adults, unless adults are of relatively small build.
IMO, anybody over 5'3" ( approx ) would not fit in there for long.
And the width is also not enough for 3 adults.
This is not correct 3rd row seats can be adjusted for recline. I have traveled 500+ kms many a times in Innova and the comfort is quite good. I am 6' and my cousin 6'1" have sat on on last row and the ride was comfortable. The bumpy ride might be due to highly inflated tires. I keep 32 for all tires generally and 34 for rear tires on long journeys with full load. This would provide very good high way ride. Most of the taxi's would have the tires inflated to 36+ all around making it bouncy and hence giving them bit more FE.

Quote:
2) The difference of power is around 12 bhp and torque, almost none.
If we factor in power to weight ratio, there wont be much to differentiate.
The point of difference is how the torque is delivered. Innova has a much larger mill, almost double the size of Ertiga's mill and hence the torque is available earlier than in Ertiga.

A 75 bhp, 1.08 tonne Dzire ( the new one ) would leave Innova for dead in a drag race. On highways also, beyond 80-90 kmph, the DDis performs well, but the Innova would slow down.
The difference lies in the Torque curve. The Innova has a flat torque curve all along from 1600 till 3000+ giving sufficient lug-ability combined with short lower gears.

In terms of reliability Nothing beats the Toyota Hilux platform(On which Innova is based). Also service costs are about half of the maruti for Toyota. Basic service including the Wheel balancing for Toyota costs Rs 550 + Tax Where as the same for a maruti is Rs 900 + tax
Old 17th April 2012, 12:24   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhanu@DJ View Post
This is not correct 3rd row seats can be adjusted for recline. I have traveled 500+ kms many a times in Innova and the comfort is quite good. I am 6' and my cousin 6'1" have sat on on last row and the ride was comfortable. The bumpy ride might be due to highly inflated tires. I keep 32 for all tires generally and 34 for rear tires on long journeys with full load. This would provide very good high way ride. Most of the taxi's would have the tires inflated to 36+ all around making it bouncy and hence giving them bit more FE.

The difference lies in the Torque curve. The Innova has a flat torque curve all along from 1600 till 3000+ giving sufficient lug-ability combined with short lower gears.

In terms of reliability Nothing beats the Toyota Hilux platform(On which Innova is based). Also service costs are about half of the maruti for Toyota. Basic service including the Wheel balancing for Toyota costs Rs 550 + Tax Where as the same for a maruti is Rs 900 + tax

I will agree with you here on Innova. the third row isn't that bad as its made out to be. I too have travelled in it for quite long distances and found the only issue to be a lack of window like the middle row, which makes it a bit uncomfortable. And the case is same for Xylo too.

But the last row are strictly for 2 full grown adults not 3.
Old 17th April 2012, 12:46   #791
BHPian

I was trying to see if there is a review on this car! not able to find it anywhere. Has it been written yet?
Old 17th April 2012, 13:25   #792
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The Ertiga can infact seat an adult on the 3rd row! I was really surprised. You can sit with reasonable comfort on 3rd row. For short trips, the space is more than adequate. For long trips, it's best suited for kids though.
Thanks Amalji, for the pictorial review.

But I'm sure, the picture with that person in the third row is taken by moving the second row towards the front than the position he is sitting in second row.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:29   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun

Thanks Amalji, for the pictorial review.

But I'm sure, the picture with that person in the third row is taken by moving the second row towards the front than the position he is sitting in second row.
No, the second row was not moved to the front. He kept his legs in a wider position rather.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:40   #794
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
No, the second row was not moved to the front. He kept his legs in a wider position rather.
But I'm seeing a gap behind the second row. That's what creates doubt in me.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-dscf48563.jpg  

Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-dscf48566.jpg  

romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 14:02   #795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
But I'm seeing a gap behind the second row. That's what creates doubt in me.
You seem to be right there. When I took the photo someone else who was observing the vehicle at the same time seems to have adjusted the middle row. But, at the same time, I have tried it myself and can say that the rear seat provides just about ok space. Your knee softly presses against the middle row. But, it's just adequate for short trips though. Will take a snap once more, when I visit the showroom again.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed