Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:46   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
+100.

When I found out that, folding the third row eats up the second low legroom, I asked the Sales Executive whether the third row seats can be removed, like in the Scorpio? He said we cant since it is fixed.

It would be nice to simple take the Ertiga to the M.A.S.S. and get the third row completely removed and use this as a spacious 5 seater with a big boot for city, kind of an upgrade from a sedan.

I had the same experience. The sales executive confidently told me that the LDi & VDi does not come with ABS.

+10.

I think the Ertiga will affect the sales of premium hatchbacks like Polo, Punto & i20 rather than Xylo and Innova. The Ertiga, though expensive, is much more spacious & practical than such hatchbacks.

Those who want a proper 7 seater like Xylo & Innova will not opt for the Ertiga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I don't think RTO allows completely removing the third row whenever needed and putting it back. I remember very well once I was going in my Omni E (8 seater) with one row removed, the RTO (not cops) challaned me for that and they checked the RC book and showed me that this vehicle is 8 seater as per RC book. This was around 3-4 years ago, not sure if its changed. IMO they were right as per law. Changing the seating capacity comes under modification of vehicle that should be authorised by RTO, can someone throw more light on the same.
Infact, the head rests of the 3rd row can be removed before folding. That will free up more than adequate space on the 2nd row.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:59   #947
BANNED

@coolclouds: I think Super Turbo is just a fancy way of saying that its a higher power 1.3L Diesel engine..Same as SX4 Diesel..But the ride felt good..Today I tried the Petrol as well..And boy its rev happy...Too bad, we Indians are diesel fanatics owing to lower running cost..After today's TD, I have ear marked the Vxi varaint for purchase...Wish it had a Sun Roof option as well...
Carophilic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:16   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I remember very well once I was going in my Omni E (8 seater) with one row removed, the RTO (not cops) challaned me for that and they checked the RC book and showed me that this vehicle is 8 seater as per RC book. This was around 3-4 years ago, not sure if its changed.
Thats totally weird. If it is a 5 seater, and then you added 2 more seats, it makes sense for RTO to take action. removing seats, and there by bringing down the passenger capacity should not really bother them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Infact, the head rests of the 3rd row can be removed before folding. That will free up more than adequate space on the 2nd row.
this has been repeated several times in this thread. Looks like most of people commenting here, have to visited the show room at all.

having said that, suzuki should have made this vehicle more flexible. they should learn from honda, who did a fantastic job with jazz.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:16   #949
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Bimal motors TD Ertiga in flesh while driving yesterday. Must say it looks very good - the best any UV (including Innova) in our market. Size looks not small and not large, quite proportionate!

The 1.4l K-series engine seemed to have good low end punch, by the way the Ertiga pulled away on Whitefield road (probably 4 people in car).
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:31   #950
BHPian

Saw Ertiga in flesh and i am in love with it. looks cute, the right proportions and a good match for innova. Did not get a chance to drive or sit. but quality of interiors and vehicle seems really good. I am seriously considering this, have asked for a test drive, there is one showroom near my house and he has promised it before this week end. The pricing is superb as the top model is selling for some 8.45L diesel which is way below Innova. One good thing i liked was the engine was superbly silent (could not check if it was a diesel or a petrol)

Business Line : Companies News : Maruti hits bull's eye with strategy of opening new segments
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:35   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Thats totally weird. If it is a 5 seater, and then you added 2 more seats, it makes sense for RTO to take action. removing seats, and there by bringing down the passenger capacity should not really bother them.
this has been repeated several times in this thread. Looks like most of people commenting here, have to visited the show room at all.
Weird or Logical, let's not get into that and mention what is as per law so that it would help fellow readers as RTO guys would challan as per law, not by logic.
Requesting someone who can clearly tell as to seating capacity can be increased/decreased without taking RTO permission or informing them.
By not giving 3rd row split seats, MSIL has done a mistake which I am sure they will correct as it allows 6th or say 5th person to sit comfortably and put some luggage too.
As regards few things which are posted again and again needlessly is comparing it with Innova. Someone (incl me) has posted earlier and would post it again that if someone is capable of buying Innova would buy Innova without even considering Ertiga. Period.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:11   #952
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to be a passenger ( front seat ) of ertiga petrol for a few kms. The car felt comfortable, spacious, and airy. The visibility was excellent as well. Had I not purchased my etios, I would have given the ertiga a serious thought for sure.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:30   #953
Senior - BHPian

Visited the nearby MS showroom to ha dekkho of the Ertiga, & must say that I am in LUV (initial stages only ).

My brother accompanied me to the same & we both were satisfied that there is sufficient space in the car for a family where the the tallest person is not more than 5'9" in height (balanced physique, not long legged ones). The legroom was sufficient in all three rows in the default seat settings, though in the 3rd row, under-thigh support is inadequate for anybody over 5' height. It is best suited for 2 (grown-up) persons at max, where they can rest legs in semi-lotus (crossed legged) posture to for better comfort over 100-250 km drives.

The interiors seem good for the price, but, luggage space could be at best used to store some snacks & airbags at best. My suggestion get a Thule Box for you LUV, to carry the luggage.

Disclaimer - I did not go for a test drive as there was only one vehicle with the dealership & they (showroom people) were not interested in test drives. In fact, there seemed an air of arrogance in the showroom their vehicles will sell .
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:15   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Had I not purchased my etios, I would have given the ertiga a serious thought for sure.
My thoughts exactly! Ertiga appears like a great car at this price-point as it really fills a big vacuum. For one, it's proper 5-seater with the flexibility of either loads of boot space or two more seats in the 3rd row. So you can have outstation trips with family and can also take the guests around the town (which does not require lot of boot space). When I bought my Etios, I was really looking for a vehicle like this with Japanese reliabiilty. Innova was too big to manage day-to-day parking, not to mention the price point. Maruti really understands the needs of the Indian customer better than anyone else.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:29   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a chance to be a passenger ( front seat ) of ertiga petrol for a few kms. The car felt comfortable, spacious, and airy. The visibility was excellent as well. Had I not purchased my etios, I would have given the ertiga a serious thought for sure.
Coming from you, it seems a great praise for Ertiga! I remember you defending the Toyota Etios in the other thread, and perhaps also locked horns with you (don't remember that). Also your ownership thread is really detailed for the Etios. The statement that you could've considered Ertiga is really positive for the car!
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:38   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Coming from you, it seems a great praise for Ertiga! I remember you defending the Toyota Etios in the other thread, and perhaps also locked horns with you (don't remember that). Also your ownership thread is really detailed for the Etios. The statement that you could've considered Ertiga is really positive for the car!
I always love the Maruti engines ( both the K series and the DDiS ) and their after sales support. The only reason why I supported the Etios Petrol engine compared to the Dzire Petrol was because Toyota gave a bigger engine ( from a class above ) for the Etios Petrol.
It's mainly with the space management and ergonomics of Maruti's designs that I have a problem with. With the ertiga, they seem to have solved just that. And with MUV, utility becomes a priority rather than outright acceleration.
And hopefully the braking issue in Swift is not present on the Ertiga as well. I'm eagerly waiting for a chance to test drive the car.

Last edited by amalji : 23rd April 2012 at 14:59.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:34   #957
BANNED

Seems like not only Maruti cars, but their TBHP reviews also have huge waiting period... First Swift, and now Ertiga!
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:37   #958
BANNED

Source: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Launches In India, No Plans For Australian Launch | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications

"A new stretched people-moving version of Suzuki's Swift hatch has launched in the Indian market. Dubbed 'Ertiga', the new car is a long-wheelbase version of the Swift hatch we see in Australia, packing seating for seven within its modest footprint."
"While such a model would be unique in Australia and could prove a cost-effective alternative for young families needing seven-seat practicality, it remains to be seen if the Ertiga will hit local showrooms."

So, other markets like Australia are also eagerly waiting for Ertiga!
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:10   #959
Senior - BHPian

I had a look at the Ertiga today (no test drive)
It looked much smaller then I expected. Looks more like a bigger hatch.
I found the rear seat (2nd row) to be very narrow (shoulder width) which can only seat 2 in comfort. Seat base is short and with the upright posture, 2nd row can never match the comfort of a proper sedan. But it must be much more comfortable then a hatch, so it is fine.
As pointed by many, last row is good enough for people with bellow 5'4" height (that too for a short travel).
When fully loaded with people, it is quite tight and is a bit of a compromise for both occupants in the 2nd and 3rd row.
I also noticed something in the luggage area when the last row is folded. When you fold down the last row, it leaves a gap near the base and to cover that, they have provided a small lid like cover (which blends with the floor). When you open this lid (which is quite flimsy), you can see the empty space and the exposed body metal. I wonder if they could have done something clever to use this space by the folded 3rd row seat so that it doesn't force you to push the 2nd row forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-folded-seat.jpg  

Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 00:08   #960
BHPian

A friend who works at Maruti shared on FB that 'Ertiga' became the first car in India to have highest bookings in 1st six days of its launch i.e. 11500 bookings, ahead of Mahindra XUV500 which was approx 8000 bookings in its 1st ten days!
Maruti is riding high on success of it's new models these days - first Swift, then Dzire and now Ertiga!!
asethi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed