Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 11:06   #106
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
These 2 cannot be considered as competitors, but you never know how we Indians think. But one thing is for sure, the Ertiga will sell well, because its a maruti and it has a diesel.
@shivasuma: The Maruti brand logic holds upto the DZire segment. From the past experience it doesnt appear to work beyond that.

Something like an SX4 (the looks of which I love , but not so much on interiors ), the diesel mill of which was launched with massive ad campaigns, still doesn't move well in market. At the same time, the petrol mill of City was second best seller for most months except Dec 2011, when flood tragedy hit Honda.

Sure, the brand Maruti helps, but only if the car has enough to offer against what competition offers - just brand won't sell. We all know the state of Xylo which has a killer pricing and massive space inside, but lose out on versatility, fit/finish and handling aspects. So, it needs to be good package, which I hope Maruti has achieved!
Old 9th January 2012, 11:40   #107
BHPian

Somehow, the Ertiga appeals to me.

Although it is not as spacious as Innova/Xylo, this has it's own benefits especially for nuclear families that require an occasional 7-seater for times when parents, relatives, etc. are visiting or a group picnic with friends and family is being organized.

The smaller (than Innova/Xylo) size makes it good for daily city-use and the larger (than sedans) size makes it ideal for occasions, picnic, etc.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:06   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
@shivasuma: The Maruti brand logic holds upto the DZire segment. From the past experience it doesnt appear to work beyond that.
Maruti is like what BATA is in shoes. If one wants to buy premium shoes he will look for Nike, Adidas, Reebok, etc and not Bata. Maybe for this reason Bata had tie up with Nike and then Reebok shoes which were sold in Bata showrooms like Tata-Fiat.
What Maruti needs to do and what so many T-BHPians have already mentioned is create a seperate premium brand like Lexus (Toyota) or Acura (Honda). SX4 had its share of problems and lot of other alternatives were available to the customers.
I read in earlier post that Maruti is not having presence in Taxi segment. Look at Omni its sold in Taxi segment in huge numbers.
Indians are not price-sensitive only, they are mileage sensitive too. Proof "Kitna Deti Hai ?" ads. Best example is Eeco which is very very competitively priced but is still not VERY popular due to Low Mileage factor.

ERTIGA is a "SMART" car in my books. It may not be "Powerful, Large, Spacious, Feature-rich, Enthusiast's favourite, Premium" but it definitely will be "VFM (very important in India), easy to drive in city (very important), having decent Mileage (most important) and Reliable (very important)" and that's what it matters for most of us. Its surely a SMART car.

For Mathematicians :
If Ertiga (Top variant) = 10 Lac and Innova (Comparable Variant) = 14 Lac
Ertiga is 28.5% cheaper than Toyota
At the same time :
Toyota is 40% costlier than Ertiga
You can choose how to look at the two.

For people not happy (including me) with the name 'Ertiga', it would have been perfect if Maruti christened it as "MININOVA", isnt' it.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:09   #109
BHPian

Will Maruti ever make a car with good looks? They have so many cars and none is a head turner. I agree that in a MPV you have little scope for style, however this car again disappoints on it. They have made it practical and it will be a great competition to the Innova. Also, they took quite a long time to introduce such a car in this segment considering they know the Indian Market like no other manufacturer. With the GM MPV, Etriga, Xylo and Innova, this segment seems to be heating up.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:10   #110
BHPian

Ertiga!! I think name is not catchy or sounds cool like say Innova...
MUL please consider changing the name. I think the name may not go easily into the masses.
BTW, any one knows what it means??

IMO, MUL has got yet another 'Super Hit' model in its stable in the form of Ertiga. They have hit the sweet spot at just the right size for urban commuting, Proven diesel engine which should be good for highway cruising(100-120kmph) too, Beautiful swift's interiors, inoffensive simple looks and much more.

However, they should consider providing 60:40 spilt (or some thing like Innova) third row for more flexibility for carrying luggage. How could miss such a useful feature!!

I think its more of a van than an MUV like innova. It may not be as sturdy or robust as Innova, but still it can do 90% of what all Innova can! and thats what is going to pull the customers. I appreciate MUL for kick starting this niche segment and just getting it right(For the Versa being such a flop).

Aren't we noticing a shift of trend here??
Sedans---> MPV(Ertiga) or compact SUVs (Alpha4, Ecosport)
Old 9th January 2012, 12:31   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
ERTIGA is a "SMART" car in my books. It may not be "Powerful, Large, Spacious, Feature-rich, Enthusiast's favourite, Premium" but it definitely will be "VFM (very important in India), easy to drive in city (very important), having decent Mileage (most important) and Reliable (very important)" and that's what it matters for most of us. Its surely a SMART car.

For Mathematicians :
Ertiga is 28.5% cheaper than Toyota
At the same time :
Toyota is 40% costlier than Ertiga
You can choose how to look at the two.

For people not happy (including me) with the name 'Ertiga', it would have been perfect if Maruti christened it as "MININOVA", isnt' it.
Agreed, Ertiga does look decent.

The mathematics part and the remainder of thought process is highly influenced by the car quality, more than the price.

Many people including me did this mathematics between Xylo and Innova. Innova is way too costly and less featured than Xylo. I'll say, Xylo is more spacious as well. Due to various factors, Innova still outsells Xylo by a big margin. And Toyota keeps increasing Innova price at will, with zero feature additions. Some food for thought here?

Almost the same mathematics and logic apply here! The advantage that Ertigo has here is, its little more compact. But looking at the segment, only time will tell if it is advantage or disadvantage!
Old 9th January 2012, 12:42   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
+1. A good way to look at Ertiga! It is a good 5 seater - more or less like a regular hatch, with good luggage space. Additionally you have the last row for 2 more passengers [or 3 small kids, maybe?], if you ever need it, which is a nice option to have if you ask me. For couples living with parents, 2 kids, this should serve the purpose of accommodating them all nicely, once in a while.
Totally agree. There have been plenty of instances in my family where the normal use is 2 adults and kid but lot of occasions where 6 people or 5 people and 2 kids have to go out and we invariably have to take 2 cars just for one extra person. And it makes no sense to buy a big MUV in such scenarios.

My family is planning to replace a 5 year old Wagon R with another hatchback in the premium segment and this would a perfect choice if priced in that 7-8 lakh range
Old 9th January 2012, 12:49   #113
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the smaller size (compared to Innova) is a blessing in disguise as Eritga will not be much preffered by Taxi segment and it will help the image of the car and will result in more customers who don't go for Indica, Innova due to its Taxi image and such customers are in large numbers.

Similarly, isn't Ertiga would be easy to drive for female drivers (compared to Innova) and such customers are also in significant numbers.

And Lastly, Ertiga will appeal to hatchback, Sedan owners who get an extra row/big boot at (almost) same external size and price. It will also appeal to Innova, Xylo owners who don't want to/ won't be able to drive such big vehicles confidently and want occasionally 3rd row. Such customers are also in good numbers IMO.

Last edited by carwatcher : 9th January 2012 at 12:56.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:59   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Isn't the smaller size (compared to Innova) is a blessing in disguise as Eritga will not be much preffered by Taxi segment and it will help the image of the car and will result in more customers who don't go for Indica, Innova due to its Taxi image and such customers are in large numbers.
Similarly, isn't Ertiga would be easy to drive for female drivers (compared to Innova) and such customers are also in significant numbers.
Innova is as easy as driving any other car. There is absolutely no issue with the size. You will not even realize you are driving such a big car. Once you drive the Innova you wouldn't want to drive a smaller car. I've heard about ladies driving something like a TFort and not willing to go back to a smaller car!

The only issue with Innova is parking, but its the same with any other larger sedan like City or SX4. The difference is just couple of inches at max.

For first time drivers, yes, the size can be an issue for the first few days. But then MUVs and SUVs are not for first timers.

Last edited by samm : 9th January 2012 at 13:01.
Old 9th January 2012, 13:34   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Will Maruti ever make a car with good looks?
Why should they?

Top 10 selling cars :
Alto
Swift
Wagon R
Indica/Vista
Dzire
Bolero
i10
Nano
Indigo/Manza
Eon

How many are beautiful ? 50% or less. And Maruti only one Swift (that too hit or miss).
Old 9th January 2012, 13:58   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
Innova is as easy as driving any other car. There is absolutely no issue with the size. You will not even realize you are driving such a big car. Once you drive the Innova you wouldn't want to drive a smaller car. I've heard about ladies driving something like a TFort and not willing to go back to a smaller car!

The only issue with Innova is parking, but its the same with any other larger sedan like City or SX4. The difference is just couple of inches at max.

For first time drivers, yes, the size can be an issue for the first few days. But then MUVs and SUVs are not for first timers.
Agree with this. I had only driven small hatchbacks prior to when I first drove an Innova. I was pleasantly surprised with the ease with which I was able to drive it.

My relative has an Innova running as a taxi which just crossed 200,000km last week (in 3 years). No issues apart from the usual wear and tear.

Dont think Ertiga is intended as a competitor to the Innova. So the key thing is the price. If it is priced in the premium hatch/sedan range, there will be a lot of takers for it.
Old 9th January 2012, 14:28   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Dont think Ertiga is intended as a competitor to the Innova. So the key thing is the price. If it is priced in the premium hatch/sedan range, there will be a lot of takers for it.
Right, I too dont think Ertiga is aimed at Innova's market. With the small engine, I dont think it can last the lakhs of kilometers that cars with bigger engines can put in. So taxis and big time users are out of equation.

Coming to the premium hatch/sedan buyers, they go for these kind of cars for a particular reason. Premium hatches like i20, Fabia, Jazz etc has a sportiness factor for which MUVs cannot be a substitute. Also, MUV does not have the 'class' factor that a City or a Vento can provide. So IMHO, the user space for this car is different.

As many has already pointed out, Ertigo will suit a small family with kids, and yes, pricing it very well is the key, provided all the other quality aspects are well addressed.
Old 9th January 2012, 14:36   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Why do you compare it to an innova? It is a new segment. 3rd row of seats even in an XUV is limited at 13L. so what's the big deal there? Ertiga 3rd row is for kids. That still leaves space for 5 adults in the first 2 rows. This is what most families need. Space for 7 including 2 kids. Why do I need to spend 12L for that when I can get the same for hopefully a couple of lakhs lesser, which is easier to manouver and looks pretty decent and of course comes with a fuel efficient diesel. In my opinion maruti has a clear winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
On the contrary, I'm glad the Ertiga does not have the same dimensions of the king-sized Innova. I'm happy that the more compact Ertiga caters to those who want a spacious 5-seater with excellent horizontal and vertical boot space, with the capability to add two smaller-sized passengers, if and when the need arises. For those 3-4 member families with a Rs 7-8L budget, the Ertiga is a great option.
My main grouse is Maruti will build a van with the same width of a hatchback.

I just hope that its not the same cramped 3 seats that the SX4 or Ritz has. It has to have more space. XUV and others at least can have 3 sitting comfortably + other perks of an SUV/MUV.

IMHO. 3-4 member families really do not need something like the Ertiga. Heck the Desire will serve them well. Want extra luggage space, put a carrier on top.

Plus on a lighter note, you don't want kids puking in the 3rd row with the kind of bumpy ride that Maruti will offer

Cheers
Old 9th January 2012, 14:40   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
I just hope that its not the same cramped 3 seats that the SX4 or Ritz has. It has to have more space. XUV and others at least can have 3 sitting comfortably + other perks of an SUV/MUV.
If everything did what everything else did. Then everything will be boring. Don't you think so.

Its nice to have choice. If you need wider buy wider. Some people like me, would actually prefer a narrow profile. Ease of parking.
Old 9th January 2012, 14:50   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If everything did what everything else did. Then everything will be boring. Don't you think so.

Its nice to have choice. If you need wider buy wider. Some people like me, would actually prefer a narrow profile. Ease of parking.
Yup definitely more choice is always welcome.

I am still waiting for that Innova killer at a reasonable price. Maruti is in that zone where they can do it but don't. That's one perennial question that eludes me

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed