Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 14:53   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

I think this is the perfect car for the car pool school duty.
Old 9th January 2012, 15:10   #122
Senior - BHPian

I'm not convinced that the Ertiga is going to be a success or if Maruti is going to be "laughing all the way to the bank".

Yes, it's a 7-seater, but from GTO's opening post:

Quote:
Though the vehicle is a 7-seater, remember, it's still as narrow as any B-segment hatchback:
How many hatchbacks can seat 3 in comfort in the back seat? Add to it the fact that the 3rd row lacks space and there is almost no luggage space when all 3 rows are used. It's more like a hatchback with huge boot space or a differently-shaped Dzire than an MUV. The direct competitor is Xylo and not Innova, because IMO Innova is in a higher segment. Even in comparison to Xylo I think the Ertiga is going to lose out on space, which is probably the most important reason why people (private buyers) go for a MUV as opposed to a sedan. Mahindra sells about 3K units of Xylo a month and Toyota sells about 4.5K units of Innova (including taxi segment). I think 2-3K is the max I expect for Ertiga as well.

My view on Ertiga is based on expected price around 7-9L ex-showroom. I reserve the right to change my views without prior notice if the actual pricing is different.
Old 9th January 2012, 15:40   #123
BHPian

The last row seat is thinner in comparisone to the 1st and 2nd row. This may be done in order to utilized the space more efficiently.
However, this is a pure MP UV which may be used either by a family of 7 or even by a family of 3-4 members.
Old 9th January 2012, 15:43   #124
BHPian

There is a lot of negative public sentiment about the car. But think about someone who has been hauling his family of 6(including parents) in a decade old Omni E in a Rural / Semi-urban area (where disposable incomes are lower) and cannot afford to buy a 15lac Innova after all the years. Look at it as a 6 seater.
Does this aforementioned person not deserve even Power Steering and basic safety features(ABS + airbags) if he cannot spare 15 lac?

How many cars can really seat 6?

Lets see what are his options:

1. Bolero: It is too crude a product and has the potential to give people a headache after a few hours (heck the Ford Figo TDCi TD car I drove gave me a headache in <10 minutes ). Last row side facing seats are even more uncomfortable than Ertiga. And it is not exactly cheap OR Fuel Efficient. Lacks safety features.

2. Sumo Victa/Gold: Ditto as Bolero.

3. Sumo Grande : Priced quite high for the comfort offered. Leaf springs at the rear. Legendary Tata reliability comes free!! Safety features absent once again.

4. Chevrolet Tavera: 3rd row more uncomfortable than Ertiga since it isn't front facing. Archiac diesel engine. Sub par FE. Zero safety features.

5. M&M Xylo: The roomiest of the lot. The most powerful of the lot. In all probability will be priced quite a bit more than the Ertiga for the 114 Hp models. 95 Hp version is severely underpowered. Once again, lower FE. 95Hp versions doesn't have ABS/Airbags.

Some people don't need 7-8 seaters. They will be content with a car that can seat 6(Father, Mother, Self, Wife, 2 kids). No Hatchback / Sedan can fulfill this requirement. But this requirements doesn't necessarily mean that the buyer should live with either a Tinbox or a car with the handling of a boat.
antz.bin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 15:47   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Some people don't need 7-8 seaters. They will be content with a car that can seat 6(Father, Mother, Self, Wife, 2 kids). No Hatchback / Sedan can fulfill this requirement. But this requirements doesn't necessarily mean that the buyer should live with either a Tinbox or a car with the handling of a boat.
and those kids can be safely strapped in a child seat using the 3-point harness in the last row.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 16:32   #126
BHPian

This was the review I was waiting for. Many thanks GTO.

My comments

Exteriors (Purely subjective):
  1. Front: I would have liked to see the front not to be like a mix of Swift / Ritz. It could have either been smoother (like Innova) OR aggressive like the Scorpio / Grande. Maruti seems to have played it safe by doing neither. So they win by NOT offending anyone, but at the same time they lose by not making it appealing.
  2. Profile: Look good; adding more lines probably isn't their forte.
  3. Rear: Looks decent, except for the tail lights which seem to be out of place. Any car manufacturer would want the tail lights of their MPV to be announcing itself. Not so here.
  4. I would have also liked a little bit of chrome on the front and the hatch door.
Interiors:
  1. Looks: Look good and durable. Not sure how many might like beige and its maintenance. Dual tone beige and brown like the ones in Estilo might have been nicer.
  2. Cabin Space: Expected the third seat to provide a 60:40 rear seat split. When you promise to carry 6-7 people, MS - please provide some luggage room. When there isn't space to use, I would use brains and provide a rear seat split for extendable boot space - that way you can still seat 2 + 3 + 1 and room for all their luggage. Maruti not providing rear seat split in the ALL New (AN) Swift and the Ertiga makes me wonder what's wrong with such an arrangement!
Overall - a good attempt by Maruti Suzuki in launching "my first in this segment" vehicle. I am excusing the Versa for reasons best untold.
  • Pricing:
Pricing would be crucial, but not as much as it is to Ford and Honda. Maruti Suzuki cars sell in India. MS anyways doesn't generally overprice too much sans the Kizashi and Vitara.

If the Ertiga is based on the AN Swift platform, with 2 extra seating (debatable), additional AC and ICE controls and the MPV that it is, expecting this to be priced higher than the DZire and in the range of SX4.

AN Swift BS IV - (Ex-Showroom Price Bangalore) between 4.39 L (Petrol LXi) to 6.58 L (Diesel ZDi)
Dzire BS IV - (Ex-Showroom Price Bangalore) between 4.94 L (Petrol LXi) to 7.32 L (Diesel ZDi)
SX4 BS IV - (Ex-Showroom Price Bangalore) between 7.24 L (Petrol VXi) to 9.37 L (Diesel ZDi)
Innova BS IV - (Ex-Showroom Price Bangalore) between 9.49 L (Petrol G) to 13.3 L (Diesel VX)
Xylo BS IV - (Ex-Showroom Price Bangalore) between 7.25 L (Diesel D2) to 9.35 L (Diesel E8)

The Ertiga price range that I ANTICIPATE is:

Ertiga BS IV - (Ex-Showroom Price Bangalore) between 6.2 L (Petrol LXi) to 8.9 L (Diesel ZDi)
With that kind of pricing:
  • it can outsmart the Innova on pricing;
  • can eat into Xylo's share;
  • while protecting its own Dzire (desire!);
  • where it might adversely impact is its own SX4!
Thanks,
C_
Old 9th January 2012, 16:43   #127
F50
Senior - BHPian

A very good move by Maruti. Since, station wagons were not whole heartedly accepted by Indians example Altura, Weekend etc this is the best alternative.
It is perfect for a family of 5 with ample of luggage space and you could throw 1-2 people extra when needed. Driving should not be a problem, its narrow, based on Swift so should be easy to drive.

I have a Swift, we are 5 people. Out station trips are now becoming a problem due to less luggage space. Especially for Gujaratis like us, we tend to carry bit more than regular In a year's time, we have to consider a bigger car, Innova or SUV were our consideration. Well, Ertiga is one now!

Please stop comparing Ertiga with Innova. You cannot compare Chickoo with Kiwi, even though they look same but are not same from inside!
Old 9th January 2012, 16:52   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If everything did what everything else did. Then everything will be boring. Don't you think so.

Its nice to have choice. If you need wider buy wider. Some people like me, would actually prefer a narrow profile. Ease of parking.
+1 to that.
Why not simply copy the most successful cars and sell them at lower price like ICML Rhino did with Qualis and Force one with Endavour.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:42   #129
Senior - BHPian

I'm actually very surprised that many folks seem to be comparing the innova and the ertiga!! Come on folks this is team bhp, I'm sure we understand things far better here! Just because both these cars have 7 seats that doesnt mean you could compare them! Even the xylo for that matter!
The ertiga is a car that can seat 5 adults and 2 kids and thats about it. It is not an MUV like the xylo or the innova. I have driven innova & the xylo many times and it is never easy to manoevre these in the city, atleast not like a hatch / sedan. So the ertiga will give you that flexible seating option and also car like dynamics. This is a new segment and a niche one. And if it is supposedly based on the swift, how can one term it as a "tin can" and that too based on a "Friend's" view? Let it come to the showrooms, i'm sure GTO's test drive will eventually seal all doubts.
Apart from its 3rd row seating capability {which no one is saying is as good as the innova}, I'm sure that the ertiga is a decent car since it is based on the swift and also has a tried and tested diesel engine under its hood.
motorworks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 18:23   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Please stop comparing Ertiga with Innova. You cannot compare Chickoo with Kiwi, even though they look same but are not same from inside!
@F50 : I humbly tend to disagree with this . When you buy something of X amount, you will definitely compare it with something which is of similar nature typically in that range, and also in a wider range. How else do you know if you are not missing something that might be very much required at a later point in time?

Given that purpose is the same - moving people - preferably more comfortably and safely, I guess I'm not talking nonsense.

If I buy a higher priced car, and has high resale value, then I should consider that option also, right?

Though technically its not fair to compare Chickoo and Kiwi, but then the value additions they provide does qualify for comparison, right? No doubt Ertigo is a good introduction, but buyers must do their homework well when they spend lakhs.

Just my thoughts!
Old 9th January 2012, 18:44   #131
BHPian

Probably the best MPV by MSIL. And that includes the Versa as well. Hope the Bachchans don't start advertising for this one as well.
Old 9th January 2012, 18:47   #132
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Not only rear seat people will be uncomfortable...
But we all know how much 'comfortable' Innova's third row is, for long drives!

Quote:
For those occasional out-station trip, its better to get a rental or taxi rather than travel in this tin can.
Even before seeing the car in flesh, how can you call it a tin-can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If it is priced in the premium hatch/sedan range...
Petrol Ertiga may be priced on par with premium hatches, but cashing in on the Diesel demand, Maruti may price the Diesel Ertiga way more than that, IMO.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 9th January 2012 at 18:58.
Old 9th January 2012, 22:38   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I see a lot of people stating that being a Maruti, Ertiga services will be cheap. I dont understand. This is based on Swift platform & uses the same engine [differently tuned]. My Swift D average service costs are 10,000/- every 30K kms which works out to 3/- per KM. As far as I know Innova has a service cost lesser than a Swift D on an average. How exactly is Ertiga service costs cheaper when it shares same parts with Swift?? Or am I getting wrong figures about Innova service costs?
Yes innova service costs are lower than swift. I spent more for the WagonR than i have for Innova. Innova has done 73K kms and wagonR has done 62K kms

Quote:
These will be the types who usually carry entire family frequently and who wants only one car as well. Now the question is can Ertiga satisfy such a customer who wants to carry 7 adults in the family for long distance? Ertiga suits those private buyers who have kids in the family and not full grown 5+ adults.

Spot ON. 4 adults & 2/3kids ca be accommodated with ease & comfort. If this car has the same width as Swift, am sure 3 average built guys will be rubbing their shoulders thru out the journey [from my personal experience].
The defacto choice to move My family and close relatives for any vacation is Innova. Of the 73K kms we have done close to 24K Kms with 7 adults plus 1 or 2 kids. We never felt the engine strained at cruising speeds and I am being 5'11" have occupied almost all seats during those times and never felt uncomfortable. Most of this trips being in south including to hill stations with distances per trip ranging from 300kms to 1500kms With all the language for 3-4 days in the car.

Quote:
That's where the versatility of a true MPV comes in. I still remember our Coorg weekend trip [7 proper adults] where Innova could accomodate a 5'5" guy on the 3rd row behind a 6'2" guy [me!] Both of us had reasonable space for a comfy journey too. And the car ate all the 7 people's luggage without a complaint as well. Ertiga can NEVER do this. For the same reason, I don't think this car will ever be a people mover fleet's favorite.

A couple of my friends who own Innova always talk about low cost of servicing [in figures] which I feel is much lesser than my Swift's! Hence wanted to check others points on this. With those numbers which I got, an Innova is much cheaper from a service perspective!
Yes you are correct My innova costs less than WagonR to service and most of the times less than our Alto which needs some overhaul of suspension things like that for about every 40-50K kms

Quote:
The Ertiga price range that I ANTICIPATE is:

Ertiga BS IV - (Ex-Showroom Price Bangalore) between 6.2 L (Petrol LXi) to 8.9 L (Diesel ZDi)
With that kind of pricing:
  • it can outsmart the Innova on pricing;
  • can eat into Xylo's share;
  • while protecting its own Dzire (desire!);
  • where it might adversely impact is its own SX4!
They would not be able to price it below SX4 as it will carry the same engine, mostly same suspension + One more AC coil, One more rows of seat, additional high strength body panels for the rear impact which all will cost them money. So my guess is that MUL will price this 20-30K above the current SX4 which is dieing on its own.

Thanks
-DJ
Old 9th January 2012, 23:15   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
But we all know how much 'comfortable' Innova's third row is, for long drives!

Even before seeing the car in flesh, how can you call it a tin-can?
Forget Innova, even Xylo has better and comfortable rear space. And Ertiga will be priced around the same. I haven't heard any complaints from 3rd row passenger of innova during my 1000 kms trip with family.

Your question's answer is already given below by me. Also my question is not answered yet whether this has undergone any safety tests worldwide. If this is developed specifically for India, i doubt it ever will be. I do hope they publicize it or put in release notes if they have taken any safety steps for rear when delivery starts. I don't need to sit in a car and experience a crash to see and feel how lightly and safely it is built.

Quote:
My friend who clicked the scoop pictures of Ertiga and gave it to me was of opinion that it is indeed a tin can, especially if you compare it to innova. His words, i clearly remember was, looking at Ertiga first time was, it doesn't appear as good a built as other 7 seaters ( he was referring to Xylo at that time). He also visited Expo to look in person. Even after this if you feel i am indulging in armchair speculation, so be it. I would rely on his word any day as he is as enthusiastic about cars as we are.

Last edited by chevelle : 9th January 2012 at 23:19.
Old 9th January 2012, 23:28   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
My main grouse is Maruti will build a van with the same width of a hatchback.

I just hope that its not the same cramped 3 seats that the SX4 or Ritz has. It has to have more space. XUV and others at least can have 3 sitting comfortably + other perks of an SUV/MUV.

IMHO. 3-4 member families really do not need something like the Ertiga. Heck the Desire will serve them well. Want extra luggage space, put a carrier on top.

Plus on a lighter note, you don't want kids puking in the 3rd row with the kind of bumpy ride that Maruti will offer

Cheers
The wheelbase is clearly extended, but the ride quality should be at par with Type 3 SX4/Swift - which is obviously "not bumpy" (i mean the rebound-replay of shocks - very well sorted out). Obviously the seating space will be similar in arrangement like swift/dzire when pulled to minimum leg room space (when more space is required at back- but then who would want to seat that way ). And you are indeed misinformed on SX4's rear spacing. I would say if ertiga can do a SX4 in terms of rear spacing - its got a winner. Maruti needs to keep 3rd row less claustrophobic - that is very important to justify 3rd row seating. lets wait for the official specs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed