Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 10:51   #151
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The size of the vehicle and its capacity will also have some bearing on this dont you think?
Size (Length/width) is equivalent to Dezire. Add slight premium for seating & engine capacity :-). People carrier do not command snob value. It is considered 'typical middle class mentality' to carry friends/ parents and family with oneself. So the positioning is more or less in that teritory. Higher classes have to carry sense of exclusivity and secracy hence not expected to share space with friends/parents :-D. They have enough premium sedans, BMWs, Mercs, two seater, etc. for themselves to choose from.

BTW Xylo is wider, has much higher capacity engine and is rugged so commands a bit premium to Ertiga. Also the vehicles which are widely used in Taxi market might have more maintenance issues during warranty hence manufacturer has to account for it in sale price itself.
My guess: Petrol variants (6-7Lakhs). Diesel Variants (7.5-8.5L).
Old 11th January 2012, 11:00   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

It will be very interesting to see how MSIL places this product and how the market responds. A week into the launch and we are still debating about the probable segment this car will come into and will compete with.

Personally this car has great potential because of the MSIL tag. But pricing can be tricky and I don't see the waiting periods if this is priced at/around 10L. That is venturing into the SUV territory of Scorpio and Safari. With any big vehicle the image factor also comes into play. The Scorpio/Safari gives you that extra edge with the ability to go on those non-existent roads even with a full payload. Also at 10L it will surely also start flirting with the XUV's base variant atleast. Then there is the Renault duster and so on.
I am hoping they price it around 8L ex-showroom for the diesel top end.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:13   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
On outstation trips I have a friend who will always puke in the SX4 but never in the S10.

Cheers

Exactly, I have had Matiz, Ikon, Palio and Swift VDi. My mom throws up every time i do a long run on the swift, but never on the others and she always blames me for my rash driving.

But I am not sure, all the others were petrol cars and swift with the stiffened suspensions for the diesel coupled with the turbo kicking in at around 2000rpm might be the culprit. But she seems to be doing just fine, if I shift gears before the turbo kicks in, say around 1700rpm.

Hope Ertiga has a better suspension and linear engine output.
Old 11th January 2012, 17:11   #154
BANNED

AC vents are pointed to front row also?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-maruti-ertiga-11.jpg  

Old 11th January 2012, 19:14   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
These are inlet to blowers for rear seat :-)
Old 11th January 2012, 20:03   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
These are inlet to blowers for rear seat :-)
So does it mean that there is no "AC" for the 2nd and 3rd rows ? Is it just an air circulator / blower in place.

Other 3 row AC vehicles have the AC line connected to all three rows and use 1 or 2 compressors to give AC effect to all rows. I dont think in weather conditions like india, a mere air circulator would work.
Old 11th January 2012, 23:06   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It will be very interesting to see how MSIL places this product and how the market responds. A week into the launch and we are still debating about the probable segment this car will come into and will compete with.

Personally this car has great potential because of the MSIL tag. But pricing can be tricky and I don't see the waiting periods if this is priced at/around 10L. That is venturing into the SUV territory of Scorpio and Safari. With any big vehicle the image factor also comes into play. The Scorpio/Safari gives you that extra edge with the ability to go on those non-existent roads even with a full payload. Also at 10L it will surely also start flirting with the XUV's base variant atleast. Then there is the Renault duster and so on.
I am hoping they price it around 8L ex-showroom for the diesel top end.
Pros of Ertiga: It is not just a people carrier. It has got that premium touch. It is also stuffed with all required features. It may not be gorgeous, but neither it is ugly like dzire or ritz (it's purely subjective though). It has got additional two seats than their own premium sedan. It is big!

Cons: The underpowered engine, and the underpowered engine, and the underpowered engine!

It is definitely going to be heavier than the SX4 and alas the engine is the same 90 BHP! On top of it, the seating capacity is not 5 but 7! The engine has to pull the weight, be it in rare cases, still...!

But what my feeling is, inspite of these, Maruti is going to place it higher than the SX4, price-wise. At the least the ZDI variant will be costlier than SX4 ZDI (means 11 to 11.50 lacs). If this happens, I have my doubt on it's success. J

Just take the case of SX4. The petrol version was a flop, even being a Maruti product. It has looks, power (104 BHP) but the vehicle was very heavy and it impacted on the fuel efficiency or might be the technology factor. My colleagues were saying it's FE is Max 9 or 10 in the city!

Then, they launched Diesel. What happened, no turn around at all. Last month also I got a call from a Maruti showroom here in Hyderabad informing that SX4 is readily available. Why so? Power to weight ratio is the deciding factor along with price. Whereas, the powerful Verna has got a delivery waiting period of 8 months even after it is being costlier than SX4!

The trumph card would have either been the prise or a powerful engine. They should have kept it below 10 lacs otherwise. Let's wait and see the fate of Ertiga. I am looking forward to its launch. If it is properly priced, below 10 Lacs for the ZDI, will consider it.

Last edited by Keralite : 11th January 2012 at 23:10. Reason: typo errors
Old 12th January 2012, 05:13   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
I have an SX4 and a Palio S10. When we have a full bench of 3 people, first choice is to pick the S10 as its more comfortable. Ingress is definitely low but once all have sat in no issues at all in the S10. Somehow we feel cramped in the SX4. Maybe we are all too huge

I see that you have owned Maruti cars through out. Definitely SX4 is a real improvement to their previous cars but the ride is definitely bumpy. On outstation trips I have a friend who will always puke in the SX4 but never in the S10.

Cheers

Really strange that.
My wife has got car sick in most of my other cars (Including Santro, Swift, Qualis etc. etc.) but never, ever in the SX4!! In fact the ride in the back seat of the above three mentioned vehicles would probably make me puke!!!!!

Just goes to show one can't generalise

Regards,

SS
Old 12th January 2012, 11:36   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post
If it is properly priced, below 10 Lacs for the ZDI, will consider it.
Yup pricing will definitely be the key. Maruti are anyway masters at that. They will definitely make sure.

And they already have a big captive audience. All current Maruti hatchback owners will be definitely tempted.

Lets see if they get first mover advantage or a Toyota Avanza or Renault Duster beats Maruti to it.

SX4 somehow has lost all trust and value among customers. No one wants to buy it be it a petrol or a diesel. The thought process among buyers is they would rather spend a couple of lakhs more and get a Verna but heck never a SX4.

Cheers
Old 12th January 2012, 16:04   #160
BHPian

Ertiga has got all the momentum:
1. Labourers unrest is over. (So expect better sales unlike previous months across their portfolio)
2. Parts sharing with Ritz, Swift and SX4 - So they will be able to price it well.

Some Speculations (my thoughts):
1. Maruti is smart enough in reusability. Guess the same extended chasis will be used in new dzire
2. They might even introduce 15" alloys of ertiga in SX4 Zxi.

What ertiga needs to sort out (after feeling the pulse of above posts):
1. A balance between bench seating and bucket seating. A lower seating liberates more knee space.

While there are arguments above on ride qualities (and highlighted in previous posts), I would like to highlight that type 3 SX4 has an improved suspension. Few commenters above have owned old SX4's so they could be right in their own way, but now its an improvement since the VVT model (by maruti standards of-course).

Comparing sales should not be entertained in this thread, we have so many posts throughout team-bhp and adding so less value to the product in question.

And please guys lets not "puke" on the cars.

I'm an old timer and refrain from adding useless posts, just for the sake of increasing my post count that adds no value to the context.
Old 12th January 2012, 16:16   #161
Senior - BHPian

Is Ertiga based on the old (Swift/ Ritz) platform or the new one?
Old 12th January 2012, 21:27   #162
BHPian

My family have been looking for a compact SUV for a long time.With the Ertiga, i think we have found what we were looking for.
Till now, we had zeroed down Tata Grande and Chevrolet Tavera.But with this product, i think the search is over.
We plan to use this car mostly on weekends but when not in use, we plan to rent it out to few people whom we know well and travel frequently.
The main concern here is pricing.If the top end diesel model is priced at around 8 lakhs-ex showroom, i might be the first one to run to a nearby sai service showroom.
Lets see how MSIL play with this.
Old 12th January 2012, 23:33   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheekkunder View Post
My family have been looking for a compact SUV for a long time.With the Ertiga, i think we have found what we were looking for.
Till now, we had zeroed down Tata Grande and Chevrolet Tavera.But with this product, i think the search is over.
We plan to use this car mostly on weekends but when not in use, we plan to rent it out to few people whom we know well and travel frequently.
The main concern here is pricing.If the top end diesel model is priced at around 8 lakhs-ex showroom, i might be the first one to run to a nearby sai service showroom.
Lets see how MSIL play with this.
I am not sure if ertiga is viewed as an SUV. I think its a MUV by everything.

Do check if they are opening "taxi" / yellow board bookings from day one. Generally manufaturers allow taxi booking only after a couple of months (example Xylo, XUV etc). You would need taxi board / yellow board endorsement to rent out a vehicle.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 12th January 2012 at 23:36.
Old 13th January 2012, 00:30   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am not sure if ertiga is viewed as an SUV. I think its a MUV by everything.

Do check if they are opening "taxi" / yellow board bookings from day one. Generally manufaturers allow taxi booking only after a couple of months (example Xylo, XUV etc). You would need taxi board / yellow board endorsement to rent out a vehicle.
We really dont plan to make this car as an official Tourist Vehicle.
Basically, when the car wont be used by us, we might rent it to our friends and relatives who travel frequently and hire a tourist vehicle!
pratheekkunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 03:37   #165
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a perfect one to replace my old warhorse TATA India DLG Turbo. Waiting for the vehicle to be launched and for GTO's first hand review then. Will most probably go for this one if I dont like the Mini-Xylo. However, it is encouraging to see the MPV segment getting a lot more options in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed