Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 20:16   #331
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Another review from businessline:
Business Line : Smartbuy / Automobiles : Maruti Ertiga review - Will the Ertiga move you?

Consistently good reviews. Though not a performance car, it seems to tick all the right boxes for the average buyer. I have a feeling this will blow away even XUV's bull run given than MS prices their products well.
Rightly said! Performance will not be a driver in this segment I believe. It is the overall package and price that will matter most! With a killer pricing this could be another Swift in the making. The curiosity grows more and more day by day!
Old 28th March 2012, 21:57   #332
BHPian

BS Motoring Has a new review --two things slightly different from the other reviews so far:to be slightly
1 There is a bit of pitch and roll
" There is a degree of roll and wallowing, but it's quite well controlled and isn't a major issue - again, it's aiming for a neutral, sweet spot and it manages to hit it. "

2 Petrol is better than the Diesel in terms of Driveability-but both seem lower than ideal for a car of this weight and volume, especially with respect to cooling such a big area using the AC in the summer.
" The diesel is of course very familiar, and it has adequate power and torque for most conditions, but it's really not that much fun to drive - the drone intrudes into the cabin and it feels sluggish, but this is the one that will really sell! The petrol is a different kettle of fish - it's refined, energetic, loves to be revved hard and is a lot of fun to drive (put this powerplant in the Swift - please!) "

Full review is here:
Maruti Suzuki Ertiga review – LUV is in the air

Eagerly waiting for the official Team-BHP review now.
paragpatankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 01:28   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragpatankar

Eagerly waiting for the official Team-BHP review now.
+1 Eagerly waiting for GTOs comprehensive review and advice. I would like to see 2 things adequately covered in the official team-BHP review:

1.) Drivability with 6 adults on board. Especially for the diesel motor.

2.) AC performance for Indian summer. Perhaps they can park the car under the sun for 45 mins and then test the AC - by measuring cooling time, especially in the last row.

I think these two factors will make or break the deal for ertiga. So looking forward to elaborate test reports in the official review.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:18   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaksudhir View Post
+1 Eagerly waiting for GTOs comprehensive review and advice. I would like to see 2 things adequately covered in the official team-BHP review:

1.) Drivability with 6 adults on board. Especially for the diesel motor.

2.) AC performance for Indian summer. Perhaps they can park the car under the sun for 45 mins and then test the AC - by measuring cooling time, especially in the last row.

I think these two factors will make or break the deal for ertiga. So looking forward to elaborate test reports in the official review.
+1

I would like to know more about drivability in the city and internal spacing. As this a MPV kind of vehicle, its important to have space enough for 7 people which they are claiming. Also it should be easy to drive in the city & should feel more like a car & not MPV. I think on highways it will perform good. Lets see ... Cant wait more. Maruti, please price it below Xylo
Old 29th March 2012, 12:15   #335
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
+1

Cant wait more. Maruti, please price it below Xylo
Price should definitely be below the Xylo. I dont see anyone opting this if priced above Xylo. I just hope the cab operators dont replace their Xylos, Sumos, Taveras with this.
Old 29th March 2012, 12:21   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Price should definitely be below the Xylo. I dont see anyone opting this if priced above Xylo. I just hope the cab operators dont replace their Xylos, Sumos, Taveras with this.
I know Petrol will be cheaper than Xylo. I am talking about Diesel here. It also should be cheaper than Xylo. When i recently visited Maruti service station, guy there told me that expect a price of 9 Lacs for diesel Ertiga. If its a ex-showroom then its like 10 Lacs on road for Diesel. Even if we assume that its for Zdi, i guess its on higher side. If i have 10 Lacs with me then i have other options as well like Xylo E8, Base Innova, Scorpio, Safari etc. So i am waiting to see what pricing Maruti come out with. If they make it affordable, it will sale like anything else it will do ok ok in the market.
Old 29th March 2012, 12:54   #337
BHPian

A very good article targetted on Ertiga and the 1.3 FIAT-GM Engine

A car engine that unites rival brands

Quote:
The Ertiga, Maruti’s second new car launch this year, will share the 1.3-litre multi-jet diesel engine that powers it with more than a dozen car models stretching across five companies. These range from hatchbacks to sedans to sports utility vehicles (SUVs) and MPVs.

Though initially developed under a joint project by Fiat and General Motors (GM), the small diesel engine is more commonly seen on Maruti Suzuki models such as the Ritz, Swift, DZire and SX4. Suzuki has the licence to manufacture the engines in India.

In addition, both of Fiat’s models in India, the Punto and Linea, and Tata Motors’ Indica Vista and Indigo Manza, are powered by the 1.3-litre multi-jet diesel engine. GM’s coming launch of the Chevrolet Enjoy, an MPV, and the Premier Rio, an SUV, will be powered by the same engine.
I am very happy to see there are few more cars on anvil like Chevrolet Sail HB and Notch, Chevrolet MPV, Chevrolet Minivan along-with Premier RIO coming with this same engine. Now this 1.3 Diesel engine is truly our national Engine.

Just not able to figure out why Maruti Couldn't get that 3-Cylinder variants of this same engine which would have solved all the mini-car owners' woos of ever increasing petrol price.

Last edited by anu21v : 29th March 2012 at 13:02.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:25   #338
Team-BHP Support

It would be nice to what price tag does Maruti put it for. The fact that Xylo has nicely ensconced in that
segment of 7-9L and that too with 2.2L MHawk, it would be good how lower Maruti can price this 1.3L diesel.
Any thing lower, it would be undercutting sales of it own products.

So the price game I think now comes out of the engine capacities alone and takes us into the realm of comfort,
ease of use, service and other parameters.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:58   #339
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Lets look at diesels alone for pricing. MS itself doesnt expect any numbers in petrol.

Dzire ranges from 6 to 7.2 and SX4 ranges from 8.4 to 9.6. They have a nice range to play with. I would expect in the 7-9 range, bang in between both. On the other hand, what will be the fate of SX4 if the same engine is available in a bigger car with more seating flexibility?
Old 29th March 2012, 15:30   #340
Senior - BHPian

The Ertiga does look like a nice package and like most of us have said, pricing will be the key to its success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Just not able to figure out why Maruti Couldn't get that 3-Cylinder variants of this same engine which would have solved all the mini-car owners' woos of ever increasing petrol price.
Maruti is not allowed to modify the engine. They are only licensed to manufacture it.
GM on the other hand has part ownership of this engine and are allowed to make changes, which is how the Beat got the 3 cyl version of the MJD.
Fiat themselves are supposedly working on a 3 cyl version of this engine. Once Fiat launches that, Maruti could get their hands on it.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 16:00   #341
BHPian

Looking at the pictures and engine options etc.. No doubt Ertiga would be a big big biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig success. Most likely it would be priced in 7 - 9 lakh (ex showroom) range.

The big question is, which brands/models are likely to be most affected by Ertiga?

All top C/C+ Segment Sedans could be the most affected:-
Verna, City, SX4, Vento, Rapid, Manza ( i didn't mention non-performing models in this Segement due to fear about their existence )
MUVs could be the next affected lot :-
Xylo, Sumo, Innova

what else guys?

Last edited by Autocop : 29th March 2012 at 16:05. Reason: Change wordings
Old 29th March 2012, 16:16   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Looking at the pictures and engine options etc.. No doubt Ertiga would be a big big biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig success. Most likely it would be priced in 7 - 9 lakh (ex showroom) range.

The big question is, which brands/models are likely to be most affected by Ertiga?

Verna, City, SX4, Vento, Rapid, Manza ( i didn't mention non-performing models in this Segement due to fear about their existence )
Xylo, Sumo, Innova

what else guys?
Yes - I also agree that Ertiga could eat into the sales of the sedans you mentioned going by all that I have read about it so far. And if the FE proves to be good then I think competition will have their work cut out. Methinks this would prove to be as big a success as the Swift.
Old 29th March 2012, 16:31   #343
BHPian

Even if you have those options, there are two key things missing in those Options,

1. Maruti
2. Exceptional Fuel Economy

These factors are more than sufficient to tilt the balance in favour of Ertiga-Diesel even if priced higher than a top-end Xylo.

Plus,

- Ertiga at that price would come with all top-end features
- It should be a lot more easy to drive around for people of all ages/genders

Many people would not even look at Xylo, Tavera, Innovas due to the size, drivability, image etc. For those customers, Ertiga could be the only product. Ertiga by all its virtues could create a completly new segment of MUVs appealing to much larger customer base than caterted by Xylo, Tavera, Innova etc.

At the same time, most definately, Ertiga would not be able to match Xylo, Tavera, Innova in the departments of Space, Comfort, Sturdiness, Load Carrying capacity etc. Folks, with higher priority to these factors would still prefer sticking to the current gen MUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I know Petrol will be cheaper than Xylo. I am talking about Diesel here. It also should be cheaper than Xylo. When i recently visited Maruti service station, guy there told me that expect a price of 9 Lacs for diesel Ertiga. If its a ex-showroom then its like 10 Lacs on road for Diesel. Even if we assume that its for Zdi, i guess its on higher side. If i have 10 Lacs with me then i have other options as well like Xylo E8, Base Innova, Scorpio, Safari etc. So i am waiting to see what pricing Maruti come out with. If they make it affordable, it will sale like anything else it will do ok ok in the market.
Old 29th March 2012, 16:33   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what else guys?
I doubt if C/C+ segment sedans would be affected. I know many people who prefer the "executive" look of a sedan compared to the "People mover" look of an MUV.

A Company CEO would prefer an Audi A6 / BMW 5 series instead of a Merc R350 for the same money.

The Sumos and Boleros used as yellow boards / BPO cabs would be affected. Maruti would be preffered due to the lower cost BUT provided the 3rd row is as spacious in a Sumo / Tavera. If it cramped like the XUV5oo's 3rd row then its a sure receipie for disaster.

One Query - Why would the cabbie prefer an Ertiga when he can get 2 Eeco CNGs for the same money. Cabbies anyway care only for profit and they are least bothered about passenger confort.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 29th March 2012 at 16:36.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 16:42   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Xylo, Sumo, Innova
Don't you think its too early to have already labelled the Ertiga as a run away blockbuster hit? Everyone is already predicting months of waiting periods. I find it rather amusing.

I don't see it eating away the sales of any sedan. Why should it? A sedan handles and feels way more luxurious than any crossover SUV/MUV. Its like comparing apples to oranges. If really every buyer was so keen on all that extra space then Ford Fusion would have been a big hit. And so would be Xylo and Sumo and other entry level MUVs. You have to realise that the comfort and feel of a sedan like Honda City and VW Vento cannot be matched with the Ertiga. Also Maruti loses out on brand value after a certain price point.

Coming to MUVs again I don't see any mad decline in the sales of the Xylo. I mentioned Xylo because it falls into the same price band. The Innova is in a different league and I don't see the Ertiga hurting it much in the long run if you exclude the initial hoopla around the Launch. How many private users anyway buy a Xylo. Most of them are sold in the Taxi segment.

Infact at best I see many buyers of SX4 might want to go for Ertiga.

Anyways lets wait for the Pricing and a detailed TBHP review before jumping our guns.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed