Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 14:58   #571
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

my guess of 6L/7L entry level pricing was almost close! The ertiga ticks all the right boxes and maruti has again shown why it is the guy to beat. Add another maruti car in top 10 cars list of Indian manufacturers.

I agree they could have started may be 30k lower for both petrol and diesel but there is no competition at this price and product level. Now competition has to play catch up to this just like with swift . I hope the mini xylo comes up with logan engine and at a low price point to create a new niche in the market.
Old 12th April 2012, 14:59   #572
AWD
BHPian

The vehicle opens up a whole new segment. I see consumers from varied segments flocking to this, be it sedans, premium hatches, UV's, etc. Worst affected could be Xylo, i20, Etios, etc. Frankly I don't see a case for a Bolero, Scorpio anymore if one doesn't need all the ruggedness. Innova customers who do not need to seat 7 all the time could save big bucks.

This is a very modern, contemporary vehicle. Most vehicles these days are but why do I lay stress on this one! There's a reason & that's because you get a spacious, comfortable car for your money. Why contort or hit your knees against the front seat backrest when you can sit in relative comfort. Another car that makes use of this is the Nissan Sunny, you get good amount of legroom, what's the use of sitting tight in other sedans. This opens a whole new mindset & breakaways from traditional sedan/saloon concept. Even for a premium hatch one ends up spending a good amount, stretch a bit & get yourself a nice spacious car in which occupants will never complain. Ofcourse if seating more than 4 is not a need, one can stick to conventional designs.

When it comes to the crude UV's we have, there's just no comparison. This vehicle with moden monocoque design wins hands down. So, Maruti literally have a winner at hand.

I tried to pick up any negatives in the vehicle but was hard pressed, guess its closest to perfection, what the market demands.

When we see the asking price for Innova V, OTR costs ~15L, this one feels very-very VFM. So see this as a cut price Innova if you will & not as an overgrown Swift.
Old 12th April 2012, 15:08   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post
You are right. ABS only in ZXi/ZDi.

Attaching Feature List
Attachment 915111
Again you are giving a wrong information. ABS is available in all Diesel variants. see the attachment which is a snapshot of variant features from Ertiga site.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-1.jpg  

Old 12th April 2012, 15:14   #574
BHPian

According to me the price is pretty justified with all the practicality this vehicle brings with it. The main question form my part will be the performance and fuel efficiency in the highway with seven people on board and some luggage.

If its not a spirited performer in highway like the innova then i will not be putting my money on it.
Old 12th April 2012, 15:17   #575
BHPian

Like the look of the car from pictures. Price is also very tempting.

Very difficult to find faults. The trick is the clean and convential design and competitive pricing.

It will make a mark for itself in the new class (LUV) opened up by Maruti.

Waiting for team-bhp review eagerly.
Old 12th April 2012, 15:19   #576
Senior - BHPian

This car simply requires an automatic climate control! Wonder Maruti decided not to have this. Somehow, all car manufacturers lack some feature here and there, wonder why... May be to prevent an evil eye!
Old 12th April 2012, 15:20   #577
BHPian

Killer Prices. They sure had me fooled! I was inside the Maruti Plant yesterday and came across a number of Ertigas awaiting movement. Initial impressions were:

(1) It is nowhere as big as the Innova which we have been comparing it to - but then the Innova sometimes feels just too big for a personal commuter (Try Gurgaon traffic) so the Ertiga might feel *just* the right size.

(2) The interiors are similar to Swift but are grey and beige. Not to my taste. All black in the new swift looks much more premium.

(3) Could not see a SINGLE fresh colour!! I mean, all you could see were stale whites, silvers etc. Very mass market junta type.

(4) Seats reasonably spacious and comfortable. But the door trims really disappoint!!

Overall, I still expected a higher price tag on this one, especially in Petrol. But Maruti knows the Indian pulse too well - and maybe that's why IMHO the petrol too appears to be real VFM - more than the Diesel. Don't forget that the Suzuki Petrol engines are pretty efficient, FE wise!

Last edited by abhi413 : 12th April 2012 at 15:21.
Old 12th April 2012, 15:21   #578
Team-BHP Support

Mumbai
Sah and Saghi (Kemps Corner) and Vitesse (Worli) already have a car each that you can see.

Saw a white Z variant at Vitesse. Very impressive. Although I did not spend too much time with the vehicle, I checked a couple of things that were of concern to me:

1. When the third row is folded, the leg room is not bad (certainly not a deal breaker). I am assuming though that medium height people are sitting in the front and the middle row. If both front and 2nd row passengers are very tall, then it might feel like a squeeze).

2. Even the 3rd row is reasonably comfortable for medium size adults. Again, the catch is that older people may not find it easy to get in and out of the 3rd row but this again for me personally is not a deal breaker.

Personally, I would always prefer an Innova since I'm sure the ride comfort will be a notch above and feel more mature while the comfort in this car will be more dezire'ish / SX4'ish.

However, given that our interest in a 7 seater is to replace my wife's i20 and she is extremely reluctant to be saddled with a car with the external dimensions of an Innova, this is the "perfect" compromise as the third car of the house.

Diesel efficiency, ability to travel with the odd extra person when required within the city (maid, driver, child seat, mother, wife and me).
Superb boot space when taken as a 5 seater. Can put a bicycle at the back (I hope) with the 3rd row folded and join some of the weekend cycling groups that bike around at places far from where I live.

Overall a superb niche product that has its own place in the market. I again say, its not better or worse than the Innova or other comparable products. It has its own attributes that work for certain people depending on their priorities and bespoke requirements.

In the absence of this product, I would have been forced to consider options like the Sunny (spacious 5 seater, big boot, diesel efficiency) or similar products in the 10 lakh range if wife had veto'ed Innova.

All in "thumbs up"!! Hopefully I'll hit the market with these choices in the next 12-18 months.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 15:27   #579
Senior - BHPian

Although I wont term it as killer pricing, i feel its not too bad either. Atleast they have not spoiled it by pricing too high atleast the petrol ones. Now whether an additional row of seats and a larger engine qualifies for a premium of one lakh over the dzire petrol or not is debatable. More over these are introductory prices so there would be most probably a hike soon. Over all althoug i am not exactly elated, I m not too disappointed either. Eagerly waiting for tbhp review.
Old 12th April 2012, 15:45   #580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
This car simply requires an automatic climate control! Wonder Maruti decided not to have this. Somehow, all car manufacturers lack some feature here and there, wonder why... May be to prevent an evil eye!
I have a good theory for this. Simply that the climate control would not work effectively. The sensor for the ACC would never be able to adjust for the large variation in the cabin. Say you set it to 18C. The rear most seat would never be near that temp and front would have to be on full blast. The ACC would simply give up and would always increase fan speed to max. Difficult for the ACC to adjust for the glass house.

Moreover the rear vents are just blowers and not real AC vents.

It's better to let the driver adjust fan speed and temperature since the ACC would never do it properly. Smart move IMO.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 15:51   #581
BHPian

Petrol pricing doesn't really matter for a car like this. And it isnt great value. The two small seats placed almost in the boot cost 1.72L more than a Ritz Lxi ex-delhi (5.89 Vs 4.17 for Lxi).

The diesels are just too pricey for what Ertiga offers. 5 seats + a good sized boot. Or 7 without real any luggage space. How often do you carry as many as 7 passengers but with almost no luggage? Is this meant to be a share-cab taxi in place of the office bus?

Cars like i20 and Jazz are more successful at the 5 seats + good luggage space need. We are likely to see a repeat of the SX4 story here.

Maruti/Suzuki tends to forget that there are not enough buyers for them beyond a particular price point. In the current market, that price point is probably around 6.5 - 7L ex-showroom.

Beyond this range, the market for a Maruti is miniscule, and even if the product is good, it just gets good initial sales and then tapers off fairly quickly. People just prefer to spend their money on a more capable project or a more 'prestigious' brand.
Old 12th April 2012, 16:00   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I have a good theory for this. Simply that the climate control would not work effectively. The sensor for the ACC would never be able to adjust for the large variation in the cabin. Say you set it to 18C. The rear most seat would never be near that temp and front would have to be on full blast. The ACC would simply give up and would always increase fan speed to max. Difficult for the ACC to adjust for the glass house.
But bigger cars like Innova and Fortuner do have the ACC feature right. How does it work there?
Old 12th April 2012, 16:09   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But bigger cars like Innova and Fortuner do have the ACC feature right. How does it work there?
From what ever my limited understanding goes, Innova / Fortuner have only front ACC, where as rear is manual blower with just AC switch in front. Also ACC adds no real world advantage over an AC besides being able to set temp which anyways doesnt make much difference in most places here due to the HEAT.

I have recently travelled in my friends new Fortnuer and thats what i figured out. the rear AC blowers are manually adjusted.

Please correct me if i am wrong here. I am no expert at it

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 12th April 2012 at 16:38.
Old 12th April 2012, 16:33   #584
BHPian

I think Maruti Has got the pricing Spot on. I am told the ZDi on road Trivandrum is 9.5 lakh.
Who would buy an Ertiga: A Case study

My brother(ht: 6'), wife(ht:5'4") and two kids. Wife's Parents(should be around 5' each) stay with them.
Current Car Swift Vxi.
Any outing, invariably parents are left out.

But this outing would be just 30% of the total mileage covered in the car. Rest would be office runs and shopping.

Monthly running 1200kms

So 70% runs would need a spacious but efficient car.

But for the 30% runs the additional seats are boon.

Before Ertiga his choice for a larger diesel car was the Nissan XV. for 10.10lakh. (The spacious Sunny could squeeze the entire family with some bit of adjustment eg: youngest kid on grand parents lap)

At 60 thousand less he is getting better utility for his money. And from Swift ownership experience. Excellent A.S.S, pocket friendly running costs and resale value.

As I key in this post my brother would be completing the formalities for the booking in Kollam.

I am sure there would be lot of families who would be attracted by this proposition. Efficient Refined Mini MPV at sedan money.
sureshkishore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 16:54   #585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Bigger cars have huge 2.5L/3.0L engines with big compressors and an auto climate control designed for that car purposefully.

Incase of Ertiga the ACC will most probably from the Swift. Why would they spend and design a totally new AC for it? The simplest way is to use manual AC control.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed