Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 23:50   #616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz
Why not remove the 3rd row seats altogether, push the middle row all the way back, and use it as a 5 seater with loads of legroom and boot space?
My thoughts were on similar lines.
1) Let's say we fold away the last row, will the middle row still have the full travel?
2) when pushed all the way back, can the middle row seat three in comfort for long distances?
I sure hope this aspects is checked by GTO and other bhpians reviewing ertiga.
Old 12th April 2012, 23:52   #617
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

IMO prices are a little bit higher for the car, almost 10 lakhs on road for ZDI is a bit steep for me.

But being a maruti and that too in diesel, this thing will be a success in the market.

If they would have priced ZDI @9 lakhs on road this thing would have been a damn VFM, but

Waiting for official review of this car, specially 3rd row seat comfort and its driving abilities.

Sameer
Old 12th April 2012, 23:59   #618
BHPian

I personally feel the car is a bit overpriced. I would rather look at Xylo, which would be more spacious and powerful than the Ertiga. For a car from the Swift platform, it is just too price-y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohi_rao View Post
Ertiga will appeal to those who want a 5+luggage car with occasional short distance 7 seater
Why would Ertiga be a hit:
1. Maruti- Check. I seriously dont understand what this means. If this is a criterion, both Versa and Eeco should have been also hits.
2. VFM- Check. Kindlly clarify why this is VFM. That ways, Xylo is super VFM.
3. Low maintenance- Check. Disagree completely. At one point I owned a Corolla and an A star. And every serivce, the Maurti guys used to end up coughing up higher service amounts. That, for a 3 pot A Star. This is a major time misconception.
4. Good track record of MSI in terms of quality and customer service- Check. Again disagree. Only thing MSIL does well is calling the customer 10 times after the service asking how happy he is. The funny part is that before MSIL calls, the dealer calls you 2 times, requesting you to rate him > 9/10.
5. Bigger than a hatch (can stuff all those luggage and can reach from inside), so looks premium but also falls into the "parking will be easy" thinking.
6. Good upgrade from a small hatch. I in fact opine that many potential Swift customers will move to Ertiga

And somewhere in the back of my mind I am thinking how much my Alto will sell for
All this said, I still feel this car will sell. MSI knows how blindly Indians trust them!

Last edited by ganeshram : 13th April 2012 at 00:04.
Old 13th April 2012, 00:14   #619
BHPian

As someone mentioned, Maruti should have given option to remove 3rd row seats. we can always add it back when needed.
This will provide great leg space for middle row and huge boot space. what else you can ask for.
The last row seats are meant for occasional use anyway.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th April 2012 at 00:22. Reason: Please avoid typing..like..this.. We discourage dotty posts. Thanks :)
Old 13th April 2012, 00:39   #620
BHPian

At a later stage, Maruti can bring the 1.2 litre engine into the Ertiga to keep the prices in check. It would be a master move by Maruti if they can get the Ertiga 1.2 base model to 5.5 Lacs.
Even though the engine will be severely under powered, the price at which a 7 seater will sell with a 1.2 litre engine makes it an incredible choice.

As far as the diesel Ertiga is concerned, I think that they have overpriced it by around 50,000 Rs. The top end Ertiga ZDI at 9 lacs OTR in hyderabad would have been an incredible buy.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 13th April 2012 at 00:40.
Old 13th April 2012, 00:53   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
At a later stage, Maruti can bring the 1.2 litre engine into the Ertiga to keep the prices in check. It would be a master move by Maruti if they can get the Ertiga 1.2 base model to 5.5 Lacs.
Even though the engine will be severely under powered, the price at which a 7 seater will sell with a 1.2 litre engine makes it an incredible choice.
I think that would be atrocious! Why not plonk in the a-star's 3 pot 1ltr engine (and claim ARAI figures of 21kmpl) and get the prices even lower? One can fool the customer only to a certain extent, a 1.2 K series engine for a 7 seater - they might as well make 'premium' auto rickshaws

And yes, i too miss this option of removing the third row seats. If that were possible, Ertiga would be one hot hatch with oodles of comfort for the rear bench passengers and tons of boot space with decent performance! When compared to a Jazz the pricing of the Zxi is only 50k more which is justified for superior comfort (due to sliding rear seats). And i also feel they should have given an option of a 6 seater as well - that would make it a premium hatch under 9 lakhs OTR! Imagine a pure 4 seater hatch with individual rear seats and 95 horses - that's fun! And i understand Maruti would never do it, it might as well add a granny seat (like the IPL Ad) atop the ertiga and call it a 8-seater.
Old 13th April 2012, 00:56   #622
BHPian

Quote:
1.2l engine for Ertiga can't help it in any way to make it more affordable, as:

-Firstly, with its ~4.2m length, it doesn't falls into 'Small car' bracket.
-Secondly, 1.2l engine will be much underpowered to propel this heavy LUV car.
Acceleration & Fuel efficiency will be severely compromised[remember Fiat Punto 1.2 FIRE petrol(personally no offense meant to punto owners)].
-Last but not the least, 1.4 & 1.2 k-series petrol engines are based on same block & same design, so cost savings are already being there in it.
Hardly, there'd be 10-15k Real-world cost difference in these two engines.

Yes, Diesel Ertiga is relatively more expensive over consecutive petrol variants & that's obvious & is justified as all Diesel variants are equipped with ABS as a standard feature, whereas in Petrol variants its standard in ZXi only & is optional in VXi.
Old 13th April 2012, 00:58   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
....Price for the above is 50k. Seems its worth it. Brother booked Vdi since its readily available but I am trying to coerce him to go for the Zdi. Makes sense right?...
Have you taken the TD of the car yet? If not, I suggest you to take a detailed TD of the car with 7 members and check the performance. Also make sure that the TD car will be loaded the way it will be once it's bought [preferably with the same set of people who will be traveling by the car] and take it to the highway too! 10L is quite an amount of money to splash on a car like this, so please be convinced it's well worth!

Yeah, for that 50K, I prefer a ZDi over VDi if budget is NOT an issue.
Old 13th April 2012, 00:59   #624
BHPian

Ok guys this is one launch that I was unaware/uninterested until about a month ago when I saw the first drive pics/reviews showed in auto mags and websites.

Here is - A perspective to prospective people interested in buying an Ertiga.

My Corolla is 6 yrs old, but is still damn good! But I was planning to give this to my parents who are still reluctant to let go of their beloved Amby of 30 years! And I was planning to do this by the end of 2012 or early 2013.

Now what I was looking to get for myself - New Rapid/ New Innova/ Used Jetta/ Used Captiva.

Knowing well that Jetta and Captiva are high maintenances, I was chancing upon my joy of going up the segment. Innova was way big and hard for daily commute in Bangalore as I normally don't use chauffeurs.

Now I for one enjoy long distance drivings. We do our usual routine of hometown visit every 2 months which would easily cover about 1200-1500kms. Although the Rapid is a fine car with brilliant diesel performance and economy, it is still only a car in terms of space and I really crave for an MUV during long drives for being Big and Tall myself.

Then came the Ertiga! I patiently read through the first impressions and watched the Indonesian promo video and these are the points I observed:

Plus:
- Ease of Drive of a Maruti in city
- More Room for Long distance hauls
- Sedan-like handling
- Flexibility of 7 seats if parents are to be taken along
- Diesel economy
- Easy Maintenance
- All decent gizmos offered in a top variant of most cars these days
- Costs less than 10L for top variant as even a Rapid would put me back above 10.

Minus:
- May not be a performer (Comments reserved until TD)
- A/C performance (Again comments reserved until TD)
- No dead pedal (I owned a Swift in which I covered 50k and it was no big deal)
- No front arm rest (I can have this fitted as I did for my Swift)
- May not fit 7 proper adults (This is never gonna be my need)

Now there is one other point that I considered having owned a Maruti and a Toyota, which someone mentioned here as well. Marutis definitely age quickly. My swift started rattling at 50k whereas my Corolla is rock solid still at 95k. But then again, I am not looking at holding on to a vehicle for more than 70k as I get bored! So I can live with the comparatively cheaper build of Maruti for that long!

So gentlemen - I'm planning to take a look at it tomorrow.

Sorry if this has become a prologue of a TD/Buying experience, but I thought of putting it out here as it might help people channel their thoughts!

Last edited by luvurride : 13th April 2012 at 01:02. Reason: Added Content
luvurride is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 01:01   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
1.2l engine for Ertiga can't help it in any way to make it more affordable, as:

-Firstly, with its ~4.2m length, it doesn't falls into 'Small car' bracket.
-Secondly, 1.2l engine will be much underpowered to propel this heavy LUV car.
Acceleration & Fuel efficiency will be severely compromised[remember Fiat Punto 1.2 FIRE petrol(personally no offense meant to punto owners)].
-Last but not the least, 1.4 & 1.2 k-series petrol engines are based on same block & same design, so cost savings are already being there in it.
Hardly, there'd be 10-15k Real-world cost difference in these two engines.
While I understand that Ertiga is 4.2 m length, a 1.2 litre engine will get excise savings for engine itself. My understanding is that both attributes are independent.
If a car is 4.2 m length and engine is 1.2 litre engine, then it will get excise cut only for the engine.
If a car is sub 4 metre, but engine is 1.6 litre engine, then it will get the excise cut based on length , but no cuts on engine.

Is my above understanding correct?
Or if a car is 4.2 m but engine is 1.2 litre, then is the car entitled to no cuts at all?
Old 13th April 2012, 01:58   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Woah almost 10 lakhs take home price for diesel top end. Thats way too much. Why not spend a couple of lakhs more and get an innova.

Cheers
When you say 12 lakhs Innova you mean the base model with colour bumper (non taxi one) which is just shade under 12 on road, no ac for third row Innova.

So that mean that person would not want - EBD, ABS, music system, second row blower, air bags, electric OVRM, rear viper, steering buttons, remote boot. alloy wheels, OVRM indicators. I must have missed some more features.

So now that person can buy 8.3 Lakhs on road version LDI.

different topic- the third row comfort of innova cannot be matched. In fact other rows also.

8.3 Ertiga with ABS
11.9 Innova.

so he has to spend 3.6 over ertiga or 5 lakhs over Ertiga ZDI for top end Innova.

Last edited by easterncar : 13th April 2012 at 02:10.
easterncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 02:15   #627
Team-BHP Support

^^ You've got a great point.

But one must also consider this:

- The Innova is a more planted car on the highway. It has been proven time and again that it's the perfect car for highway drives. It will munch miles far more easily than the Ertiga (assumption based on the fact that the Ertiga is a Swift underneath and thus, should behave like one)

- The Innova offers so much more space for its passengers. The 3rd row isn't only for kids in the Innova. And there is space for luggage too.

- The Innova's 2.4 diesel mill is a whole lot more powerful and torquey than the Ertiga's smaller 1.2 MJD.

- Toyota is just as, or even more reliable than Maruti.

So you see, for 4-5 lakhs more, you not only get a proper MUV, you get so much more car.

The Ertiga on the other hand, costs 2 lakhs more than the Swift. For what? An extra bench that can be used only by kids?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th April 2012 at 02:18.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 02:22   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Woah almost 10 lakhs take home price for diesel top end. Thats way too much. Why not spend a couple of lakhs more and get an innova.

Cheers
Top End Ertiga Diesel - 7.3L (ex-showroom New Delhi)
Top End Innova Diesel - 13.54L (ex-showroom New Delhi) as per Toyota India website.

Additional Price that you pay - 6.24 L
Additional price in percentage - 85.5%
That is a LOT of money.

One then starts wondering what does this get you?
1. Toyota Reliability - No match for the Ertiga.
2. Capability of seating 7 "comfortably" over long distances - How often does one need that.
3. A more powerful engine - No match for the Ertiga.

What the Eritga provides you in comparison
1. A much lower initial purchase cost - SIGNIFICANTLY lower.
2. Mileage - so very important for the "kitna deti hai" public.
3. Maneuverability - specially for self-driven vehicles. Chauffeur-driven owners may not care so much.

Am sure Maruti have a winner on their hands and like someone mentioned earlier - it definitely does hit the sweet spot for urban MUV owners (who need the additional passenger space, once in a while).
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 03:03   #629
BHPian

Quote:
While I understand that Ertiga is 4.2 m length, a 1.2 litre engine will get excise savings for engine itself. My understanding is that both attributes are independent.
If a car is 4.2 m length and engine is 1.2 litre engine, then it will get excise cut only for the engine.
If a car is sub 4 metre, but engine is 1.6 litre engine, then it will get the excise cut based on length , but no cuts on engine.

Is my above understanding correct?
Or if a car is 4.2 m but engine is 1.2 litre, then is the car entitled to no cuts at all?
under 4m and under 1.2 litre petrol 1.5 litre diesel = 12% excise
under 4m above 1.2 litre petrol 1.5 litre diesel = 24% excise (not very sure)

above 4m and under 1.5 litre = 24% excise

above 4m and above 1.5 litre = 27% excise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My response to the pricing is lukewarm. Think of it this way : What do you get over the Swift? An extra row of seats. That's it. The price difference for that 3rd row of seats is 2 lakh rupees! Not like the 3rd row is exceptionally spacious either.

Yes, the 2nd row does have more space than the Swift (with the seats pushed back) so you have to consider how much that is worth to you. While the Ertiga does have more powerful engines, the Swift is lighter. Thus, expect performance to be similar (or the Swift to be quicker still).

ZDI swift = 677,000 - Ertiga ZDI = 845,000. 1.68 lakhs diff (could be diff for other model)

Swift ZDI excise = 5,25,000 x 12 % = 63,000 - 6,00,000 x 24 % = 144,000 = 81000 extra excise

81000 extra excise over swift +12,000 development cost over and above swift - 1.68 lakhs = 75,000 for extra cost of two seats + blower ac+ body work + profit on extra cost for manufacturer and dealer.

75,000 for all that is reasonable. What i think is that they could not have done better. Now if swift is over priced. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
^^ You've got a great point.

But one must also consider this:

So you see, for 4-5 lakhs more, you not only get a proper MUV, you get so much more car.

The Ertiga on the other hand, costs 2 lakhs more than the Swift. For what? An extra bench that can be used only by kids?
Swift 6.77 ex showroom and Innova 13.5 ex showroom top versions. 6.5 lakhs extra should get you a whole proper MUV + give gov taxes.

Swift 6.77 ex showroom and Ertiga 8.45 ex showroom top versions. 1.68 lakhs gets you two seats a blower + gives gov taxes.

Exactly its for kids two more seats for kids over swift. ( we cant even get more leg room and boot together) but i dont think how maruti could have priced it better and as mentioned above.

And the space and seating is still a question see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
My thoughts were on similar lines.
1) Let's say we fold away the last row, will the middle row still have the full travel?
2) when pushed all the way back, can the middle row seat three in comfort for long distances?
I sure hope this aspects is checked by GTO and other bhpians reviewing ertiga.

AS far i can see when thrid row seats are folded down the space for middle row is at par at dzire or less. they definitely don't go all back, infact come front from middle position. (quite bad)

so if its is same as DZire we getting a big boot no extra comfort /space once seat folded down.

IF less than that of Dzire then we getting less space once seat folded down. (that will be bad). in that case we have to use third row without folding for luggage to get dzire leg room atleast.

Space utilisation is a muv all about and Ertiga might get this mixed up.

Now if the third row was pushed back like the XUV with no space and it made sure that the third row get more space and folds down without pushing the middle row in front. Would that be better. i think so. but some many people want that space.

now if the legroom is less that dzrie after 3rd row down. we either use leg space or big boot we would have choose. would be first in its class, to be what i call half MUV.

In the end the question is how much value addition it does over Swift, Dzire or Innova (price wise), Is upto the person who wants to buys.

Best value for money for 4 + 2 who want refined (not xylo, sumo ) small, easy, a maruti. for others 2 extra kid seat for 2 lakhs. not as good as innova etc..

Last edited by easterncar : 13th April 2012 at 03:31. Reason: within half hour, additions
Old 13th April 2012, 03:34   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Top End Ertiga Diesel - 7.3L (ex-showroom New Delhi)
Top End Innova Diesel - 13.54L (ex-showroom New Delhi) as per Toyota India website.
Where can i get Top end Ertiga Diesel for 7.3 ex showroom Delhi.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed