Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 10:53   #646
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

I am not sure why people are thinking Innova is 13L, for high end it is 16.2lakhs in Hyderabad.
If you are comparing, compare with high end vs. high end which is almost 80-90% or you can buy two ertiga`s for that price.
It's not in same league, period.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:53   #647
BHPian

Is the new 2012 Xylo that bad vehicle to be compared here with Ertiga? Between Ertiga and Innova, we do have Xylo here which is decent i believe.

Innova is the segment leader. No doubt about it. Its a premium car, at a premium price.

W.r.t VFM aspect, i think we should compare Ertiga Vs. Xylo, not with Innova.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:23   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Why would i pay more and get an Ertiga. Better with a much better & comfortable Xylo than this cramped Ertiga...????

Mahindra Xylo OTR in Bangalore = 8,89,760/-

Maruti Ertiga OTR in Bangalore = 9,17,000/-

Certainly does not make sense.
IMHO, it's the price quoted above does not make sense at all. Just checking the OTR of, top end versions of both,at Chennai.

Xylo E9 Rs.12,57,595\-
Ertiga ZDi Rs. 9,68,089\-

The difference is almost 2.9 lakhs.
Which itself make a strong case for leaning towards Ertiga. In Xylo, the rear seats are not suited for adults(Comfortably ofcourse).

ps : price quoted by carewale.

Last edited by Vasuki : 13th April 2012 at 11:30.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:26   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
IMHO, it's the price quoted above does not make sense at all. Just checking the OTR of both Xylo E9 and Ertiga ZDi at chennai. The difference is almost 2.9 lakhs.
Which itself make a strong case for leaning towards Ertiga. In Xylo also the rear seats are not suited for adults(Comfortably ofcourse).

ps : price quoted by carewale.
I am not sure whether you sat inside a Xylo and checked out the rear seat space. It has better seat space when compared with Innova, IMO. All reviews says this as well.
sbala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 11:26   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Very good post, vibbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I have a swift at home. Have driven close to 40 K km in two years. May be ten times in these two years I ve felt for the need of a bigger boot and may be an equal number of times I have felt the need of an additional row only within the city. Most of the time its with three or four people. So many times I have felt the need for a little more spacious rear bench. Yes I can buy an innova and it would suffice all my needs plus I can take it out on to the highway with seven people easily. But does my financial state allow me to plonk 13lakh plus for this when all I need for most of my usage is a spacious car with ocassional flexibility of a big boot and an extra row albiet only for short durations?
I think there will be many Urban Indians with similar needs(...)
And I may be one of those . My Swift Vxi turned 6 last month. I would not mind at all replacing it with an Ertiga VDI/ABS at around 9 lac OTR. For a little more than what I'd spend for a new Swift I will get two extra seats (good enough for kids), extra luggage room, replace the petrol with the awesome 1.3MJD and have a brand-new vehicle to boot.

Innova is not even in consideration for me. Even if I get the Zdi Ertiga, I'd still be paying 40-50% lower than what the high-end Innova would cost. Plus it's a dated vehicle now.

The 7-10 lac OTR UV segment is something that should boom this year and hoping to see more choice here soon!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 11:29   #651
BHPian

bangalore price - source: carwale

The Vdi is too expensive relative to vxi + abs.
And abs kit is just for 10k?!?!?how reliable this info?

Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-carwale.jpg

<edit>
breakup for vxi+abs.

Ex-Showroom Bangalore 6,67,999 (A) RTO 1,07,872 (B) Insurance 24,394 (C) On Road Price 8,00,265 (D=A+B+C)
ex-showroom price is almost same as Delhi price. this might not be a reliable info after all.
</edit>

Last edited by gkrishn : 13th April 2012 at 11:32.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:29   #652
BANNED

Why I liked Ertiga is basically on the following counts:
  • It is an alternative to ~10 lakh sedan at little lower price with more space
  • It is almost half a feet shorter than SX4 and many other sedans in the same league
  • You can commute in it
  • Reclining back seat (middle row in case of Ertiga), a big boon
  • Roof mounted AC vent for the middle row, not many sedans have it
  • And once a while you can move crowd and home around
Comparison with Innova is futile. The two are in two separate leagues. Whatever its USP you cannot commute in it daily.

Last edited by anandjha : 13th April 2012 at 11:31.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:29   #653
Senior - BHPian

The Ertiga DDiS is clearly overpriced.

Not because we need to pay 1.75L for the third row. This logic of calculating lacs per seat/row, according to me, is not exactly correct. Adding a third row requires certain level of engineering. Parts can be shared but still its a brand new car, something which Maruti has never done before.

The logic is -
1. Petrol is reasonably well priced.
2. Petrol has a brand new engine which means more R&D and manufacturing costs.
3. Diesel has the same engine as in the SX4, which is essentially the Swift/Ritz engine with a VGT. So they should have been able to manufacture it more cost effectively.

Points in Ertiga's favor:
1. It's is 4m+ whereas the Swift/Ritz are not.
2. It's opening up a whole new segment where there is no competition. Even though we have the Xylo, people looking at a car like vehicle which does not have a cab image don't have a choice.

Do we realize that the 1.4 engine will open up more business propositions for Maruti Suzuki? Like a Swift ZXi+, Dzire ZXi+, SX4 LXi.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:32   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
R. For a little more than what I'd spend for a new Swift I will get two extra seats (good enough for kids), extra luggage room, replace the petrol with the awesome 1.3MJD and have a brand-new vehicle to boot.
Perfectly make sense to think about Ertiga in your scenario. Thats the ideal selling point of car.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:37   #655
BANNED

Looks like whatever I thought was true . The Ertiga would be costly beyond comparision and ,yes it is .

Now for those who think a top end model from Ertiga should be compared with the top end model from innova , I would like to point out that the innova is from a different higher segment in terms of space , size , engine power etc . and I would always consider the base end variants for the simple reason that the top end variants differ with respect to different models , and different companies . In the innova a top end might offer "cigarette lighter " which the top end from ertiga might not . So as a rule compare the base variants and not the top variants where everything is just bare metal and pricing.
From a buyers perspective , if he/she needs the space the innova offers then they would definitely end up with the basic version atleast rather than go in for the top end version of the Ertiga .

Someone pointed out that the Ertiga is VFM because it is priced at 1 lakh lower than the SX4 . LOL .. now who said the SX4 was VFM ???

compare the EECO with the Ertiga or the Maruti van with the Ertiga ... because all the models have the same "rear bench " and all come in petrol . Right now , i cannot remember other models from other manufacturers who offer the rear bench .. so just take your pick for comparision .

And who only compare innova and xylo ? when you can compare the grande , tavera ?

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 13th April 2012 at 11:41.
greatmana2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 11:49   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Now for those who think a top end model from Ertiga should be compared with the top end model from innova , I would like to point out that the innova is from a different higher segment in terms of space , size , engine power etc .
Most comments are based on heresy rather than actual experience of even seeing an Ertiga :-).
Just experienced Ertiga inside out. The space is adequate and I, an adult of 5'6" sat alongwith my 2 sons (10.5 & 6 year old) and did not feel cramped in the third row even after sliding middle row half backwards. The last row might be uncomfortable for taller persons but that equally is the case with Innova's third row. Innova has edge only in the luggage space.

The last row has removable head rest. After folding the seat (sans head rests), middle seat can still be slid by around 150mm liberating leg space. The sliding mechanism is quite easy just like that of front seats. The backrest can also be reclined similarly.
The car's dashboard and interiors feel premium and quite aesthetic. I am falling in LUV already :-).
ajay0612 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 11:57   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
The last row has removable head rest. After folding the seat (sans head rests), middle seat can still be slid by around 150mm liberating leg space.
It is details like this, that differentiates auto mag review from the team-bhp reviews. Thanks for the info.
still waiting for that elusive team-bhp official review.
Old 13th April 2012, 12:27   #658
BANNED

One more thing. Fold the middle row and you can even stretch your leg while sitting in the back seat. Fold both the rows and you can literally sleep. I hope I am not taking my LUV a bit further.
Old 13th April 2012, 12:27   #659
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012 - Last Row Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post

different topic- the third row comfort of innova cannot be matched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) We recently got our Innova V 7 seater, the new one with factory fitted reverse cam, etc. The first thing I did at dealership was to sit in the last row. Believe me, I was out the very next moment. It was like I was in a jail with very poor backrest angle and poor thigh support.
I would say that Innova's last row of seat is not for adults, unless adults are of relatively small build.
IMO, anybody over 5'3" ( approx ) would not fit in there for long.
And the width is also not enough for 3 adults.
I have to agree with "aaggoswami" to some extent.
  • Personally I have been in the last (3rd) row in Innova, but not so much or so many times (at least not in the recent past), but from what I can recall, the experience was ordinary in terms of space and comfort.
  • A couple of my friends and their friends on various occasions haven't spoken very highly of the last (3rd) row experience of theirs in Innova.
  • I have also been in the last (3rd) row in Tavera and I remember having a slightly better experience than the ones in Innova.
  • The friends that I mentioned above have had a word of praise for their experience in the last (3rd) row of Tavera.
  • As for Xylo, most people comment that the last (3rd) row comfort is less than average.
For each of the UVs, take a look at the rear that "extends beyond the rear wheels".

Ertiga
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-ertiga.jpg

Innova
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-innova.jpg

Tavera
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-tavera.jpg

Xylo
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-xylo.jpg

I would look at it like this:
  • The wheelbase of Tavera at 268.5 cms is the smallest when compared to the other 3 (all of which are around 274-276 cms)
  • The rear extends the most (beyond the rear wheels) for Tavera and the least for an Ertiga.
  • Some amount of space that extends beyond the rear wheels is marked for boot space which varies across the 4 UVs.
  • Possibly, Tavera's overall design (body and suspensions), smaller length and lesser wheelbase might have resulted in providing better experience in the last (3rd) row, which might not have worked optimally for the Xylo and maybe for the Innova too.
  • However the point that I am trying to make is:
    • The last (3rd) row would be the closest (in terms of horizontal distance) to the rear wheels or maybe even on top of the rear wheels in an Ertiga in comparison to the other 3 UVs.
    • So, I would expect a decent level of comfort, if not space, in the last (3rd) row of Ertiga, unless the suspensions let it down.
Thanks,
C_
Coolman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 12:31   #660
BHPian

The on-road price in Hyderabad for ZDI is: 10,23,764
Wow! The nearest competition Innova GX is 13.8L.

The booking amount for diesel 50K (petrol 10K, what! ) and waiting period is 2 months.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks