Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2012, 17:12   #721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Just checked out Ertiga, overall a good package but i seriously doubt how 7 people will be comfortably sitting. Already having 4 months waiting on Diesel model.
But not worth paying Rs.8.97 Lacs on road(in Nagpur).
Old 15th April 2012, 17:15   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Just checked out Ertiga, overall a good package but i seriously doubt how 7 people will be comfortably sitting. Already having 4 months waiting on Diesel model.
But not worth paying Rs.8.97 Lacs on road(in Nagpur).
Agspins, where did you check it out? seva or somewhere else? 8.97 is cheap isn't it?
Old 15th April 2012, 17:19   #723
Senior - BHPian

I checked it out at Seva, compared to Mumbai its cheap. Guy was offering exchange as well.
Old 15th April 2012, 18:12   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Just saw the ertiga near maruti showroom, looked a bit small to me, don't know how they managed to squeeze in 7 seats there.
Imagine then, the situation of the 7-seater Eeco. which is far smaller than the Ertiga.

A radical thought came across my mind: What if Suzuki had to position the seats like the 8-seater Omni (or a train seating compartment), where the second and third row seats would face each other. Would this not have aided in better utilization of the Ertiga's cabin space?

Besides, it could also have permitted an 8-seater combination (as opposed to the present 7-seater Ertiga) without the need to fold one (or remove one) seat to enable access to the third row, as is the current situation.

Also, sliding doors similar to the Eeco and Omni could well have benefited ingress and egress for the second and third row passengers in the Ertiga.
misquitas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 18:16   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
It is not just the cost and powerful engine, I think people are looking for overall package.
Depends on what are your preferences.

Why would someone buy the Ertiga? Because he does not want a sedan or hatchback & would like the utility of a MUV/LUV/Van. That is where the Ertiga scores poorly.

Quote:
1. City drive ability, include parking too.
What is more important? Comfortable seating for passengers or parking space?

Quote:
2. Fuel efficiency.
True. But if someone is keen on fuel efficiency, shouldn't they look at the sedans instead?

Quote:
3. If you are only few times 7 people travelling.
This is the point I am stressing on.

Forget 7 people. Ertiga is not even a comfortable 5 seater. Most sedans in that price range have better legroom in the rear seat (middle row) than the Ertiga.

Quote:
5. The riding comfort. if you travel in xylo for more than an hour , you will know what I mean.
True.

But just because the Ertiga rides better, would you classify that as a comfortable car?

Quote:
Also we have to understand that people with 6+ feet height will have inconvenience in any of smaller cars even most sedans.
In this price range, I would say that I was more comfortable in SX4, Vento, Verna, Verito, etc.

P.S.: I have nothing against Maruti or the Ertiga. It is just that, this car seems to be a confused product to me at a ridiculous price. And I am also sure that this will be the next most overrated car.
raj_5004 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 18:36   #726
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

What if we see Ertiga as a large "hatch" or a station wagon with the flexibility to use the rear seats when needed? In that case does the pricing make sense? Does the middle row comfort match/better other hatches? Does the overall package match or better other hatches like i20 and Polo?

I dont think its positioned as a full-time 7 seater. If you want to full time 7 seater, you need to look elsewhere. And Maruti is not trying to sell it as a 7 seater either.
Old 15th April 2012, 19:10   #727
Senior - BHPian

I dont think Ertiga is a confuced product at all. As I previously said, this is not a seven seater. Its an urban vehicle for the urban class, who most of the time requires a spacious 5/4 seater, with the added flexibility of an extra row of seats occasionaly or a large boot. Not every one requires a large boot most of the time, nor does everyone require an additional row most of the time.

If you are one who needs them, well then you need to look at bigger options, after all size does matter.

For others who are in look out for a spacious car that can double up as an ocassional seven seater or free up lots of boot space when required all the while maintaining car like dimentions and manners, Ertiga is the place to look to. However this would have been super flexible if there was some way of removing the third row completely when required.
Old 15th April 2012, 19:45   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Depends on what are your preferences.

Why would someone buy the Ertiga? Because he does not want a sedan or hatchback & would like the utility of a MUV/LUV/Van. That is where the Ertiga scores poorly.

I was looking for a Jazz for my wife and since that was not available for booking, went ahead and booked the ertiga. To us Ertiga is an extended Jazz offering the flexibility of a 7 seater and great boot space when it becomes a 5 seater. Also there is no MUV in this price range that looks like a car and offers easy driveability in city. Xylo is too truck like (no offence to owners) and Innova is too over priced. I am 5 ft 10 in and to me all the seats are very comfortable as far as leg room is concerned. In fact I own a SX4 and rear leg room in the middle row is as good as the SX4 with the last row folded. What's more the middle seat back rest can recline offering much more comfort than any sedan can. Where it lacks is width in the middle row for 3 passengers. Anyways to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
What if we see Ertiga as a large "hatch" or a station wagon with the flexibility to use the rear seats when needed? In that case does the pricing make sense? Does the middle row comfort match/better other hatches? Does the overall package match or better other hatches like i20 and Polo?

I dont think its positioned as a full-time 7 seater. If you want to full time 7 seater, you need to look elsewhere. And Maruti is not trying to sell it as a 7 seater either.
I agree, this is the USP of Ertiga. It definitely scores over most hatches in terms of leg room (maybe only Jazz may be on par)
Old 15th April 2012, 20:10   #729
Senior - BHPian

Always thought that India would need a vehicle like Mazda 5 or Prius V. More than a sedan and less than a MUV. Suzuki answered the call. I think it is worth going for it even if it can only seat kids at the back. It means 3 adults can enjoy a spacey middle row which wouldn't be the case with most hatch/sedans.

If only petrol prices are going to come down (like Goa) it would do great to Ertiga's *Xi sales. The diesels are going to sell like hot cakes.
Old 15th April 2012, 21:18   #730
BHPian

It is interesting to see Ertiga being compared with Innova for its space inside. I was looking for a 7 seater to take care of the occassional trips with extended family - my parents or in-laws. A sub 10L car with third row in petrol is probably the ideal third car in my garage!

I will check out the Ertiga next week and post my findings and my comparisons would be against my Marina [which I use for long drives] and i10 AT [used for short city drives]. The basement parking in my apt is a bit compllicated due to oddly placed pillars so a smaller Innova will be best to fit in.

Btw, did anyone find out if this comes with a roof carrier option?
Old 15th April 2012, 22:28   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
I checked it out at Seva, compared to Mumbai its cheap. Guy was offering exchange as well.
Who was the sales guy? Ashish? Can think of exchanging the Estilo that's parked in Nagpur
Old 15th April 2012, 23:14   #732
BHPian

I think this is a very smart launch by Maruti, there was a gap in the market they have tapped. Mum's about town, large families etc the usual MUV target markets but in a country like India without a bulk of a Innova or Xylo.

How many women do you see driving these cars? Few, with the Ertiga I think we will see a lot more women driving, and for all the weekend outings in the city and out family folks will go for this, so they have the 7 seat option for weekends and an easy to drive car for the city during the week.

Definitely see this selling really well. This is the kind of smarts and product Maruti needs to stay on top.

Last edited by raul : 15th April 2012 at 23:16.
Old 16th April 2012, 00:45   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Its a total Mis-Conception by we consumers when it comes to Maruti cars.
BUT
Actually, a Maruti is not lighter on the purse
The only Silver-lining is they do the job. Thats it.
Let me not go further Off-Topic here. Untill i read the T-BHP Review.
The Ertiga as a Concept is a fantastic preposition, Price OTR Bangalore is reportedly goes beyond 9.50 lacs, How VFM it is only time will tell.
My opinions are completely based on my ownership experience of my Alto for 5 years now. And that Silver lining is a BIG thing. I get better service for the Alto from Maruti A.S.S than to my Scorpio from the M&M A.S.S . 9.5lacs . Man! we in Karnataka pay too much for the vehicles. Rightly said, let's reserve the debate for the official review thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
I personally feel the car is a bit overpriced. I would rather look at Xylo, which would be more spacious and powerful than the Ertiga. For a car from the Swift platform, it is just too price-y.

All this said, I still feel this car will sell. MSI knows how blindly Indians trust them!
Aw! I thought the "Quote" feature would copy your comments in quote. Anyways, will try to be brief and put my views. And as said above the best place to continue is when the official review is out.

Whatever said if Maruti and a competitor has similar offerings most would prefer Maruti. Call it psychic or whatever. Versa and Eeco were not good propositions in the first place and I am not aware of any competing vehicles in the same category that we can talk of. VFM for me is also how much extra you spend on the vehicle just to make sure it does its job apart from the mileage and the package of course. I have gone 5 times to get my Scorpio power window issue resolved (add the fuel, time, irritation) while my experience with Alto (including the service cost) has been just amazing.
Old 16th April 2012, 00:47   #734
BHPian

People tend to buy Maruti (Suzuki) with their eyes closed. When Suzuki bought out the entire stake (govt.) they did not rename it to Suzuki and retained the MS name. It is Maruti people buy and not the car. Same way that people recognize Hero Honda and not Hero Motor Corp.

Enough of Ranting. Today I happened to see the Ertiga. It looks like a Dzire from the front, but the rear looks a bit weird. The space on row 2 is okaying (comparing to my Vista ) but the third row is way to cramped.

I wonder, if Tata would have bought out the Marina like this, it would have surely sold.

The funny thing is how people book a MS car, even before they see it!That when it is designed more for a Jap size person (Typically short/thin) rather than an Indian frame.

I can almost read the headlines 6 months down the line "Super Successful Maruti (Suzuki) trio". or Maruti has another winner up its sleeve!

All the best Ertiga (hope they had named it better).
Old 16th April 2012, 06:06   #735
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti had a center spread (2 page) ad for the Ertiga in yesterday's TOI, Bangalore edition. They're calling the Ertiga an "LUV" (Life Utility Vehicle), a term that they've Trademarked !
Still waiting for the definitive TBHP Review but I'm guessing Maruti has a winner here. This will also prove the reusability factor - Maruti has been hugely successful with the Swift platform.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks