Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2012, 15:50   #796
BANNED

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Source: List of Suzuki engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The K14B engine is new to India only, but is already in use in China.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-k14.jpg  

Old 17th April 2012, 16:04   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Are you sure that the higher end Innova & Xylo which have rear AC vents have two compressors ?
Oops sorry. I meant a separate cooling coil. Dont know why I wrote compressor!

Innova has a separate cooling coil for the rear vents unlike the Eritga's rear vents, which is more like an "exhaust fan".
Old 17th April 2012, 16:39   #798
AWD
BHPian

*Update*: Just back from TD'ing the Ertiga. Members here have already added comments about the vehicle in detail so I would be short & precise.

Everything felt fine except that the A.C. is inadequate, it simply doesn't cool. I tried 2 vehicles at different dealerships & each TD took about 45 mins. All the while A.C. was on at highest setting, 2 people were seated in the vehicle & prior to the TD vehicles were parked directly under the sun.

The S.E. told me that many others who took TD complained about the same problem but also said that its only in the demo vehicles & that the vehicles which have been delivered are ok in this regard. Offcourse I did not believe them!

70-80 vehicles booked at each dealer & waiting time is 1.5 months.Period.

I had taken cheque book along because intended to book the vehicle after TD but did not do so because the place where I reside gets really-really hot during summers & a powerful A.C. is a must.

Now the A.C. issue could be due to smaller capacity Compressor or large glass area. In one car rear blower was not switched on while in other Im not sure. Don't know what difference would it make to cooling.

Also the engine gets louder as you rev. Maruti could have improved in this area, little more insulation would have helped. Suspension made moise while passing over sharp bumps. Did not check the air pressures & vehicles had 300-400km on meter.

So I've mentioned the biggest cons that I could make out during a short while. It would be interesting to note observations of other members in this regard.

Regarding the comparo to/with Innova, some consumers might convert their bookings from Innova to Ertiga, heck I also thought it would be a cut-price Innova but as it turns out, its not so. Still a very-very good alternative to present day hatches & sedans this side of 10L.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 16:41   #799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
...But, at the same time, I have tried it myself and can say that the rear seat provides just about ok space. Your knee softly presses against the middle row. But, it's just adequate for short trips though. Will take a snap once more, when I visit the showroom again.
Thanks for those lovely detailed pics man! By the way could we know what's your height? A lot of these space discussions turn into debates because of the difference in physique! [A comparatively shorter guy finds a car more spacious than a taller guy & their views obviously conflict] Knowing the height of the reviewer puts a better perspective to the comparison.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th April 2012 at 16:42.
Old 17th April 2012, 16:45   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

Thanks for those lovely detailed pics man! By the way could we know what's your height? A lot of these space discussions turn into debates because of the difference in physique! [A comparatively shorter guy finds a car more spacious than a taller guy & their views obviously conflict] Knowing the height of the reviewer puts a better perspective to the comparison.
I'm 172 cms and my friend is 175 cms.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 19:06   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Comparing to Xylo is fruitless. Ertiga is going to be a class leading vehicle, therefore comparison should come from present class leaders. Further Xylo is a flawed product with poor Handling & lack of safety.

@Amalji, thanks. I will try out the vehicle today.

Btw what are the delivery timelines as of now & how many bookings across India?
Looks like deliveries have started. There is already an ownership review of an Ertiga ZDi delivered today in Chandigarh in another forum. Google to find it.
Old 17th April 2012, 19:31   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Top End Ertiga Diesel - 7.3L (ex-showroom New Delhi)
Top End Innova Diesel - 13.54L (ex-showroom New Delhi) as per Toyota India website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
When you say 12 lakhs Innova you mean the base model with colour bumper (non taxi one) which is just shade under 12 on road, no ac for third row Innova.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Probably because if one could afford an Innova, one would have bought one already. And the Innova one would get at a couple of lakhs more would be the bottom variant.
Didn't know that the Innova was also so overpriced. Whats with the pricing of these Japs man.

Unfortunately, Hyundai too is overpriced in India, else they are taking the fight to the Japs in the US and Europe and bringing down their prices substantially.

I am now surely happy with my Aria choice then. Other than airbags which I sorely miss, its 11 lakhs definitely well spent.

Lets see how the TBHP review pans out. Generally all Suzukis start rattling sooner than later and this one maybe no different.

Cheers
Old 17th April 2012, 21:06   #803
BHPian

Great review Amalji. Waiting for GTOs' detailed review on the other areas like engine performance, drivability etc
chakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 21:27   #804
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful review Amalji.
I m 176 cms, going by your post, Ertiga should be reasonably comfortable choice for me. i was planning on buying a Jazz later this year. Ertiga for sure seems to be a good alternative.

In the photo where your friend is sitting in the second row, the back rest angle seems to be upright. It can be reclined more if I am not wrong. Is nt it?
Old 17th April 2012, 22:11   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Actually it is the other way around. With the last row folded down, the middle row leg room is shortened :(
A bug, imo. Coming from a station wagon, i was hoping this could be the car. But this could be a show stopper for me. I want a small, wagon type vehicle with 5 seats with lot of space. +2 is a bonus.
Actually thats what I meant to say and thats a negative cos with the third row not being used one would want to make use of the ample leg room of the middle row and if the last row is used for luggage space then the middle row becomes cramped. I wanted to know if one could still push back the middle row with the third row folded.
Old 17th April 2012, 22:30   #806
BHPian

I had called and got the Ertiga home for a Test Drive. My views

1) Front Row Seating nice as usual

2) 2nd row seating when pushed back and inclined its very nice

3) 2nd row seating when enough for the third row (kids) is decent i think it would be dzrie space may be 1 inch more (have never sat in new dzrie)

4) 2nd row seats with third row down crap. worst in any car.

5) 2nd row seats with third row down with third row head rest out better but not good. the head rest free's at least 2 1/2 inches may be three.

6) 3rd row seating enough for 2 adult of 5'8'' for short drive. As blower keeps them cool (evenings should not be problem) long drive better kept for kids.

Drive

1) The initial pick up is bad under 2000 rpm it is too sluggish. too much for my liking.nothing like swift (had three swifts in home still have 2 i have driven hundred thousand km in it) may be used to my vento so... still its sluggish. Had test drive of Fortuner same day, it jumped in 1st gear.

2) After 2000 rpm looked fine. had very small test drive.

3) for 4 + 2 its looks quite a fine car.

who would want this car.

1) who need big boot

2) who need 4 +2 seating

3) who need more seating.. dont like xylo or tavera etc

4) who need more seating and innova price is not within limit. or dont like innova (few)

how many people who buy cars are in this category ??? very few

5) and people who take this over a sedan after paying 2 Lakhs more for a liitle more car and less fun to drive car. Even fewer

Its not going to hit like Dzrie, question is will it be a hit. if 5000 -7000 sales is done it would be very decent.
easterncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 22:32   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Actually thats what I meant to say and thats a negative cos with the third row not being used one would want to make use of the ample leg room of the middle row and if the last row is used for luggage space then the middle row becomes cramped. I wanted to know if one could still push back the middle row with the third row folded.
Guess there is still confusion in many people's minds regarding the leg space in middle row with last row folded. I am 5' 10" and adjusting the driver's seat for my comfort, and folding the last row, I could find sufficient leg room in the middle row. I did not remove the head rests of the last row, removing which can free an inch or two more of space in the middle row. So for average Indian adults the leg room is not an issue even in the last row.
nurni76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 22:49   #808
Senior - BHPian

Saw one in flesh today. But could nt sit inside and check.

From outside didnt look too small nor does it look too huge. I think Maruti has found right balance of decent interior space and compact exteriors. Of course not a seven - seater highway cruiser. Space is visibly less than Innova. I have travelled few times in the last row of innova and must say, I would nt want to be in the same place again.

So Ertiga definitely is a big no as far as third row space for long distances is concerned. Could nt have a detailed look though due to lack of time.

As Nurni has mentioned if the second row has sufficient leg room for a 5'10 guy with front seats set for the same guys comfort and the last row folded, I guess it would hit a right chord with most buyers.
Looking at the confusion in people s mind regarding the legroom I hope the official review takes care of these core issues. May be even photographs of second row leg room with last row folded and front row set sufficiently back for good driving comfort.
Old 17th April 2012, 23:03   #809
BHPian

Ertiga Test Drive - Also, is this the end of Tata Motors ?

Happened to test drive the Ertiga today. It was the diesel Zdi. Here is my take on it :

Drive :

I drove the car for about 20 minutes including on bad roads.

The engine is super silent. Maybe even more silent than some petrols

The drive quality is exceptionally good for a big car. Body roll is well controlled and the suspension takes bad roads without any problem.

There is a bit of turbo lag below 1800 rpm but not very bad

The brakes are quite good and no issue

No rattling squeaking whatsoever.

Interiors

Interiors are classy for the price. Zdi with ABS and EBD is 10.5 lac on road Bangalore

No cheap looking finish.

Plastic quality better than Innova I would dare say

Music system on ZDi is again excellent for stock especially the 2-DIN like unit

Seating

I am 5 feet 7 inches tall and tried out both middle row and last row with the right adjustments. No problem at all even in the third row

The arrangement is spot on. Wonder how other manufacturers have not been able to achieve this even in something like XUV 500

This car will set the sales charts on fire for Maruti and even maybe kill the likes of Innova, which is highly overpriced. The Storme better does not get launched and Aria could become as rare as premier padminis on road.

Tata Story:
Now why am I cribbing about Tata. Simple I own Safari and Manza. Now with this launch I wonder what is their strength. The diesel advantage gone. All these days I used to think the fit and finish was ok because their cars are not exorbitantly priced. But I was shocked when somebody can give quality like this at 10.5 Lac on road.
The ARIA looks like robbery in comparison and has very poor finish. The base 4x2 variant of Aria is around 16 Lacs on road in Bangalore. God save them.
The Storme hopefully does not get launched with the third row side facing seats as planned by Tata Motors. Nobody is going to buy it against Ertiga
With Nano not doing as expected, Aria a dud, Storme looking nothing promising, how will Tata motors survive ? I am worried that they may shut shop in about 5 years until somebody from Tata Motors reads this post and wakes up. Somebody No less than Ratan Tata should read this to bring a sea change. My sympathies with this company and before somebody sympathises with me I should try to sell my Tata vehicles
power ranger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 23:25   #810
BHPian

Re: Ertiga Test Drive - Also, is this the end of Tata Motors ?

I'll have to see the Ertiga for myself to judge the quality of interiors and seating space, but how good will it be at moving with full load of passengers ? I'm thinking a 1.3 is a tad small, but then this motor makes 190Nm and 90bhp , not long ago the Sierra and Safari made 90bhp from 2 litres, and the Ertiga is lighter. I wouldn't expect it compare similarly to Swift acceleration levels.

As for Tata, they have a good thing going with Indica and Indigo cabs doing well in taxi market, and the Vista and Manza doing OK for regular family buyers, better than Fiat is for sure. The range toppers aren't big sellers , so I guess Tata must have factored that in, still I doubt the Aria will recover its R&D expenses. Nano sales have picked up of late, though it's nowhere close to being the "people's car" . Time will tell of the 2012 nano and the diesel option can push the sales up to sustainable volumes.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks