Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2012, 23:31   #811
BHPian

Re: Ertiga Test Drive - Also, is this the end of Tata Motors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Happened to test drive the Ertiga today. It was the diesel Zdi. Here is my take on it :
Tata Story:
--------------------- The ARIA looks like robbery in comparison and has very poor finish. The base 4x2 variant of Aria is around 16 Lacs on road in Bangalore. God save them.
The Storme hopefully does not get launched with the third row side facing seats as planned by Tata Motors. Nobody is going to buy it against Ertiga
With Nano not doing as expected, Aria a dud, Storme looking nothing promising, how will Tata motors survive ? I am worried that they may shut shop in about 5 years until somebody from Tata Motors reads this post and wakes up. Somebody No less than Ratan Tata should read this to bring a sea change. My sympathies with this company and before somebody sympathises with me I should try to sell my Tata vehicles
Hats off to your review on Ertiga. I completely agree on your point that Maruti has done an extremely commendable job in giving a very good product at such a competitive price!

However, I guess you are super-charged with the test drive you did today that you blew the 'Tata' candle off. I would say that a comparison between Storme and Ertiga wouldn't be right at the first place.

Secondly, the Nano sales is growing day by day? Did you see the March sales figures? A fantastic 10K+ units sold. And already with news about the diesel-Nanos doing rounds, I think the statement that Tata would have to close shop is a bit on the higher side. Chill!

Mods: Looks like this thread be merged with the already existing 'Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012'. Please do the needful!
Old 17th April 2012, 23:39   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger
Happened to test drive the Ertiga today. It was the diesel Zdi. Here is my take on it :

Drive :

The engine is super silent. Maybe even more silent than some petrols

Interiors are classy for the price. Zdi with ABS and EBD is 10.5 lac on road Bangalore

No cheap looking finish.

Plastic quality better than Innova I would dare say

Seating

I am 5 feet 7 inches tall and tried out both middle row and last row with the right adjustments. No problem at all even in the third row
Appreciate the feedback on the Ertiga. But i must say that you seem to be in a minority of one as far as the sound insulation goes, because everyone else has mentioned that it is a little intrusive at mid-to-higher rpms. The good interior fit and finish is nice to know.

The primary quality of the Innova in particular and Toyotas in general is that they are incredibly long lasting and age slowly. Which is why Innovas still command a premium even in resale, which an over-priced vehicle rarely would. The interiors of an Innova are nothing to shout about, but they stay they way they were when bought for a long time, even in commercial use which is saying a lot.

Mixed reviews on the last row space, primarily I believe due to differences in the heights of reviewers, their reference vehicles, and relative leg lengths. I will reserve my judgement no matter what anyone else says about comfort until I sit in the Ertiga simply because no one else would know my preferences but me.

I think Maruti has a winner too, but is by no means going to de-throne the Innova. It is in fact in a new segment all together, and all by itself for now.

PS. Methinks this should be in the main Ertiga thread until the official review, but mods will take that call.
Old 17th April 2012, 23:44   #813
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
who would want this car.how many people who buy cars are in this category very few...and people who take this over a sedan after paying 2 Lakhs more for a liitle more car and less fun to drive car. Even fewer. Its not going to hit like Dzrie, question is will it be a hit. if 5000 -7000 sales is done it would be very decent.
Already bookings are near 5000 units and sure the Ertiga will click. With the third row down you can even carry a supermarket home.
The TATA adline 'more car per car' fits the Ertiga to the Tee.

Last edited by rajeev k : 17th April 2012 at 23:46.
Old 17th April 2012, 23:48   #814
Senior - BHPian

There is running parallel to the other thread viz The Ertiga at Autoexpo which also carries the drive in more detail.
Merging both would be ideal.
Old 18th April 2012, 00:08   #815
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI reports that 10,000 Ertigas have been booked in 5 days flat! Sure it has clicked!
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 00:14   #816
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2012 at 15:32.
easterncar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th April 2012, 00:34   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
The primary quality of the Innova in particular and Toyotas in general is that they are incredibly long lasting and age slowly. Which is why Innovas still command a premium even in resale, which an over-priced vehicle rarely would. The interiors of an Innova are nothing to shout about, but they stay they way they were when bought for a long time, even in commercial use which is saying a lot.
VeluM here again,agree with your view on Toyota. However at 16.3 lacs on road in Bangalore for Innova V, the spec is almost the same as Ertiga ZDI in terms of fitments. Also Toyota badge commands high resale value and known for reliability. But I also have heard about people mentioning the same for Maruti. sometimes even more than required
Old 18th April 2012, 01:00   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhanu@DJ View Post
This is not correct 3rd row seats can be adjusted for recline. I have traveled 500+ kms many a times in Innova and the comfort is quite good. I am 6' and my cousin 6'1" have sat on on last row and the ride was comfortable. The bumpy ride might be due to highly inflated tires. I keep 32 for all tires generally and 34 for rear tires on long journeys with full load. This would provide very good high way ride. Most of the taxi's would have the tires inflated to 36+ all around making it bouncy and hence giving them bit more FE.
Twice in the past two months, I had the tire pressure of my office Innova checked - once it was 37 and second time it was 38! I did this as I found the ride to be very bumpy. I took them to the gas station and got it reduced to 31 and voila - the bumpiness was gone!
Old 18th April 2012, 03:36   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel

Looks like deliveries have started. There is already an ownership review of an Ertiga ZDi delivered today in Chandigarh in another forum. Google to find it.
Yes. Deliveries have indeed started. I booked a silver ZDi on 12th April; got a call on Monday that a white colour ZDi is readily available! They offered me delivery on same day (Monday itself).

Somehow, I was reluctant to change my colour choice and decided to wait for my silver ZDi which comes on or before 30th April.
nayaksudhir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 07:46   #820
Senior - BHPian

This is not for car pooling to supermarket but as an urban family car, a new segment called LUV.
Maruti is sourcing diesel engines from FIAT for the combined higher sales volumes.More than 20K and 10K Swifts and Dezires respectively.
What happened is the first launch and hope sales would hit peak soon. Many other cars were delivered only after around three months; like Figo

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2012 at 15:32. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 18th April 2012, 07:56   #821
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This is not for car pooling to supermarket but as an urban family car, a new segment called LUV.
I don't think LUV is a new segment or anything like that. It looks more of a marketing term coined by Maruti. Other than that, it really is just a Compact MPV.
Old 18th April 2012, 08:12   #822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I don't think LUV is a new segment or anything like that. It looks more of a marketing term coined by Maruti. Other than that, it really is just a Compact MPV.
I agree but the iusage in my previous post is on a different context. (Yes it is coined by the ad agency and is trade mark protected). But call it the first compact MPV and will have the first starter advantage as the mini Xylo and the Chevy offering is still some distance behind. The Ertiga is for people who needs some more multi utilitarian space, airy feel and space than Swift, Dezire and the like.

Last edited by rajeev k : 18th April 2012 at 08:17.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 08:17   #823
BHPian

Absolutely VFM car..i had Test driven the same got completed floored. Brought my wife and made her to feel the ertiga. Immediately cancelled my i20 asta crdi booking for my wife to ertiga zdi. Infact the bank has even dispersed the amount to hyundai dealer, still went ahead and cancelled. Yes, i may loose few thousands(around 5k). But its worthy to take ertiga. I am only confused with dusky brown or granite grey. Wanted to see them both in flesh!
Old 18th April 2012, 08:35   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
The Storme hopefully does not get launched with the third row side facing seats as planned by Tata Motors.

+1 to this.

I always wondered as to why the Safari never had a front facing third row option. I was seriously considering the Safari for its wonderful ride quality, before settling down with a Xylo, which offers a front facing third row.

Maybe Tata feels the front facing third row would take away a bit of the "SUV" tag from the Safari, and put it in the leagues of an MUV, thus taking away its USP ! But if this is really the case, a front facing third row version could still be launched with an exclusive and separate brand name, I am sure people will plonk in their money on it gladly. Tata has tried to do this with the Aria, but not on the same cost effective Safari platform, unfortunately.
Old 18th April 2012, 08:44   #825
Team-BHP Support

- Even I took a cursory look at the Ertiga the other day. The interiors are very decently done.

Some of my notes on sales:
- It may bring sales of Innova a bit. Folks who cannot afford Innova would lap this one up.
- But Innova from a premium taxi segment and space point of view would still sell. (And to a certain extent even Xylo. Based on the same argument of space).
- It is from that angle, Maruti seems to say that they may not see Ertiga doing the taxi segment.
- But the price is definitely something which would pull the argument back in favor or taxi segment.

- I am not sure it would make difference to Safari. People who are looking at MUV will look at Innova and not Safari.
- The reason that a person wants Safari/Scorp, means he/she is also looking at the SUV aspect.

- Aria is no way comparable to this segment. As is it does not sell.
- Plus even if Tata brings it down to Innova price levels for 4x2, people would rather buy Innova for an MUV.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks