Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 00:36   #961
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
A friend who works at Maruti shared on FB that 'Ertiga' became the first car in India to have highest bookings in 1st six days of its launch i.e. 11500 bookings, ahead of Mahindra XUV500 which was approx 8000 bookings in its 1st ten days!
Maruti is riding high on success of it's new models these days - first Swift, then Dzire and now Ertiga!!
WOW! 11,500 bookings in six days, if true, is really commendable. It was not entirely unexpected as they have opened up an entirely new, untapped segment. Maruti finally got it right after experiments with Omni, Versa, Eeco etc!

Last edited by SunilM : 24th April 2012 at 00:42.
Old 24th April 2012, 07:53   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The newly launched Maruti Suzuki Ertiga has received an overwhelming response from Indian market within days of its launch. The all new seven-seater tagged as LUV (Life Utility Vehicle) by the country’s largest car maker, has bagged about 10,000 bookings within the first five days of the launch. The Ertiga has been well received by both the families and the fleet operators thanks to its utility, but more importantly due to highly competitive pricing.
Maruti Suzuki Ertiga gets 10,000 bookings in five days | Latest Autos & Car News | OnCars.in
Old 24th April 2012, 13:53   #963
BANNED

@Guna : The small lid like cover provided in the Luaggage area is not an original idea and can be found integrated with the Luggage area Carpet/Board in Honda Jazz as well if am not mistaken.. I guess the Japanese OEMs do copy from each other!!!
Old 24th April 2012, 14:44   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
A friend who works at Maruti shared on FB that 'Ertiga' became the first car in India to have highest bookings in 1st six days of its launch i.e. 11500 bookings, ahead of Mahindra XUV500 which was approx 8000 bookings in its 1st ten days!
Maruti is riding high on success of it's new models these days - first Swift, then Dzire and now Ertiga!!
Both these show one thing clearly. Localization of the full product range is the only key to success in India. Thought, implementation, Market and service all have to be localized to achieve this success, bluntly put "it takes a desi to understand a desi? ".
Old 24th April 2012, 14:59   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carophilic View Post
@Guna : The small lid like cover provided in the Luaggage area is not an original idea and can be found integrated with the Luggage area Carpet/Board in Honda Jazz as well if am not mistaken.. I guess the Japanese OEMs do copy from each other!!!
Actually there are 2 lid/covers. One at the extreme end is a lid for a small luggage space which is designed to be a proper compartment to keep small items. This is found on many cars.
What I was referring was the one in the middle (marked with red in the picture I uploaded)
Old 24th April 2012, 15:15   #966
BHPian

Played with Photoshop a bit..

Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-ertiga.png
rajeshsundaram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 15:32   #967
Senior - BHPian

I checked out the Ertiga last Saturday at Popular, Velachery. Did not TD the car as there were quite some people in line (as per the sales guy, they were giving TDs using tokens) and also my primary aim was to know the space available - drive can come later.

Impressions :
They did get the looks right, especially rear (I always liked the Innova's rear and this looks similar) and side profile. Front is ok, but would it have been better if the inspiration was more from the Swift than the Ritz ?

That done, we got down to business checking the seating space in all rows. Got into front-passenger seat and set the seat to a comfortable sitting position for my height (5' 8"), then went to middle row and again slid it into a position comfortable for me. Finally get into the last row and found it to be comfortable to sit. It is definitely not "for kids only" as mentioned somewhere on this thread, unless kids are > 170cms and >70kgs.

The last seat is kinda claustrophobic, but I believe it would be the same in the last row of most such vehicles - I have never been in an Innova, but was in the last row of a Tavera for a 150km highway drive and it was not a good place to be in.

Getting into & out of the last row was what seemed like a pain to me. Fold, slide, contort and get in/out was a pain. Would it not have been better if instead of a front-facing bench at rear, they gave 2 side-facing-seats with the following advantages ?
- Access from rear would have been cleaner than from side doors.
- Foldable/stowaway seats would mean loads of space for luggage when only 5 people on board.
- Seats would be on the wheel hump and thus make use of the space which is currently unused in the bench version.

Casually enquired about delivery time and was fed a 3-mon for petrol and 6-mon for diesel story. I wonder why MSIL bothers to introduce new models when they don't have enough to cater to demand ? And while diesel would definitely have demand going by our penchant for cheaper fuel, I doubt the line would be that long for petrol.

Overall impression of the car was good. In the last few years, we have had many instances when we could have done with a car like this that can seat more than the 5 that a sedan/hatch does but either had to take out 2 cars or "adjust" in a single car or think of hiring a self-drive Tavera - with the Ertiga, we have a better option. And all these bookings seem to indicate there are many more out there for whom a gap has been filled by the Ertiga.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 24th April 2012 at 15:38.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 16:04   #968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
That done, we got down to business checking the seating space in all rows. Got into front-passenger seat and set the seat to a comfortable sitting position for my height (5' 8"), then went to middle row and again slid it into a position comfortable for me. Finally get into the last row and found it to be comfortable to sit. It is definitely not "for kids only" as mentioned somewhere on this thread, unless kids are > 170cms and >70kgs.
Overall impression of the car was good.
@supremeBaleno your observation regarding the space & conclusion is almost similar to mine. This is in fact a LUV-ly vehicle with a better design (space-wise) from Maruti Suzuki... only if they can manage their production cycle to meet the demand.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 16:07   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
supremeBaleno The last seat is kinda claustrophobic, but I believe it would be the same in the last row of most such vehicles - I have never been in an Innova, but was in the last row of a Tavera for a 150km highway drive and it was not a good place to be in.
Yes it is one hundred percent correct. The Innova ain't any better. I traveled in an Innova to Munnar sitting on the third row.Getting in and out was a pain. Sitting there I was wondering on how to get out quickly in an emergency.

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th April 2012 at 16:08.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 16:45   #970
BHPian

Booked a firebrick red zdi/vdi(which ever comes first). they don't have a clue on the current waiting period. Not even a tentative eta. trying to pull few strings.

was originally looking at etios/sunny/rapid etc. But after being driven around, sitting in the 2nd row, on the back roads of bellandur, decided to go for ertiga. Was sitting there for a cool 30 mins. And the car was taken over all kind of broken mud roads. this level of comfort will do.

the flexible option of, either a kid's 3rd row or a huge boot, tipped the decision in favor of ertiga, over the sedans. rewind the clock by 4,5 years, with a much smaller family, rapid would have been a no brainier.
Old 24th April 2012, 16:49   #971
Senior - BHPian

@rajeshsundaram, nice ones. I always thought the smaller cars are being treated with gigantic lenses (Beat, Swift, i20 etc). Does it save them money? (metal versus glass or plastic)
Old 24th April 2012, 17:58   #972
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Played with Photoshop a bit..
Of all these designs, I like the Original one!

Quote:
It is definitely not "for kids only" as mentioned somewhere on this thread, unless kids are > 170cms and >70kgs.
Well said! I also found the legroom sufficient in my case (5.8).

Quote:
Would it not have been better if instead of a front-facing bench at rear, they gave 2 side-facing-seats with the following advantages ?
Yes, side-facing seats should have been given - but only as an option, not as the only model available. Because, they are not that good for long journeys.

Maruti has to introduce Ertiga in 3 more variants based on seating arrangement - a 5-seater Ertiga, a 6-seater Ertiga with bucket seats in second row, and, a 9-seater with last row as side facing - it will give much more 'utility' for this car.

Source: Autobild:

Found this measurements. Seems impressive.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-9631.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 24th April 2012 at 18:05.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 18:25   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun
Maruti has to introduce Ertiga in 3 more variants based on seating arrangement - a 5-seater Ertiga, a 6-seater Ertiga with bucket seats in second row, and, a 9-seater with last row as side facing - it will give much more 'utility' for this car.
A 6-seater with 2 individual seats in 2nd row would indeed be good and also help make getting into the 3rd row easier. But a 9-seater ? I doubt there is enough space to have 2 side-facing seats each able to seat 2 people and still have a usable 2nd row.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 24th April 2012 at 18:27.
Old 24th April 2012, 19:36   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Yes it is one hundred percent correct. The Innova ain't any better. I traveled in an Innova to Munnar sitting on the third row.Getting in and out was a pain. Sitting there I was wondering on how to get out quickly in an emergency.
Getting in/out of the rearmost bench of any MUV is a pain really. Totally agree with you on that. And I also have wondered at times how would those at the rear get out in case of an emergency. Does anybody have any first hand experience of that?
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 21:23   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
...was originally looking at etios/sunny/rapid etc. But after being driven around, sitting in the 2nd row, on the back roads of bellandur, decided to go for ertiga. Was sitting there for a cool 30 mins. And the car was taken over all kind of broken mud roads. this level of comfort will do. ....
Congrats gkrishn! Any possibility of comparing the ride quality over poor roads, to that of innova?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed