Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 11:06   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Camry Launch Date - August 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Who is going to buy a Petrol Sedan returning 6.5-7km/l ? I don't understand why toyota is launching this car in india ? The new Sonata is a stunner and yet i have never seen one on Delhi's roads ! The Accord is available at a huge disc and the majority of Superb sales are diesel.
THink again! Skoda sells a surprisingly high number of Superb petrols. THe price difference between the petrol and diesel Superb is quite huge. Buyers in this segment don't tend to have very high annual mileage and paying upwards of 3 to 4 lakhs more for the diesel isn't always justifiable.

The Sonata is up against some stiff competition from the likes of Skoda and VW. Plus the Hyundai badge is a bit of a disadvantage. Toyota, if they can price the Camry more competitively by going the CKD route, can increase their presence in the D2 segment.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
THink again! Skoda sells a surprisingly high number of Superb petrols. THe price difference between the petrol and diesel Superb is quite huge. Buyers in this segment don't tend to have very high annual mileage and paying upwards of 3 to 4 lakhs more for the diesel isn't always justifiable.

The Sonata is up against some stiff competition from the likes of Skoda and VW. Plus the Hyundai badge is a bit of a disadvantage. Toyota, if they can price the Camry more competitively by going the CKD route, can increase their presence in the D2 segment.
Well i do disagree. The Superb sold some 385 units in June and thats a good month. If they sold a 100 Petrols with all the kit they have on offer, how many Camrys can Toyota Sell? My guess 100-200 in the initial months and then settle at a 100 units.

I was planning on picking up a Petrol AT to replace my aging Civic and i had convinced myself that i could not justify the extra moolah paid for a Diesel, but a friend who's a used car dealer convinced me to look at the resale value of my car which would be pathetic for a Petrol a few years down the line and the Diesel would still fetch me buyers for decent money. Resale Value is definitely an important factor.
Old 12th July 2012, 12:46   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Well i do disagree. The Superb sold some 385 units in June and thats a good month. If they sold a 100 Petrols with all the kit they have on offer, how many Camrys can Toyota Sell? My guess 100-200 in the initial months and then settle at a 100 units.

I was planning on picking up a Petrol AT to replace my aging Civic and i had convinced myself that i could not justify the extra moolah paid for a Diesel, but a friend who's a used car dealer convinced me to look at the resale value of my car which would be pathetic for a Petrol a few years down the line and the Diesel would still fetch me buyers for decent money. Resale Value is definitely an important factor.
I honestly think Skoda sells more petrol Superbs than the diesel one. Yes, agreed that resale value of diesel will always be better than the petrol. Now lets say you have paid about 4 lakhs more while purchasing the diesel Superb, so even if you get higher resale for your car by about 3 lakhs after 3 years, you hardly stand to gain.

Any segment can always grow with the introduction of an attractive model. Look what the Ertiga did to the MUV segment, or what the XUV5OO did to the D1 segment. Toyota commands a level of trust and comfort with Indian buyers which Skoda doesn't.
Old 12th July 2012, 12:53   #49
Team-BHP Support

At that segment, the car is bought by the company who fuels it
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 17:34   #50
BHPian

Re: Toyota Camry Launch Date - August 2012?

If this is going to be the "petrol only" Camry, its a total waste of time. It'll go the new Sonata way which was also petrol-only. Toyota has the 2.0L diesel engine which will be a perfect fit for this car.

No matter who foots the fuel bill, a petrol Camry will be hard to sell. Look at the sales of the Altis which has both P+D options.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 12th July 2012 at 17:36.
Old 18th July 2012, 20:01   #51
BHPian

Re: Toyota Camry, Etios Motor Racing & more : Auto Expo 2012

The Camry will be launched on 23rd of August at 12 noon in Delhi as per the information given to me by Toyota . They have already started accepting the bookings. Booking amount is Rs.1 Lac . It will be initially launched in 4 colors. Black , White, Silver and Champagne Mica.

It seems that it will have class leading features and equipments. They are also offering additional gizmos.

I have booked the car. I will post a detailed review when I will get the delivery.
chinmoysc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 23:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

Few pics of TRD Livas and Etios on a recent visit to RRP
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Camry, Etios Motor Racing & more : Auto Expo 2012-img406.jpg  

Toyota Camry, Etios Motor Racing & more : Auto Expo 2012-img407.jpg  

Toyota Camry, Etios Motor Racing & more : Auto Expo 2012-img408.jpg  

Toyota Camry, Etios Motor Racing & more : Auto Expo 2012-img409.jpg  

Toyota Camry, Etios Motor Racing & more : Auto Expo 2012-img410.jpg  

Toyota Camry, Etios Motor Racing & more : Auto Expo 2012-img411.jpg  

Toyota Camry, Etios Motor Racing & more : Auto Expo 2012-img412.jpg  

Old 26th July 2012, 12:58   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmoysc View Post
The Camry will be launched on 23rd of August at 12 noon in Delhi as per the information given to me by Toyota . They have already started accepting the bookings. Booking amount is Rs.1 Lac . It will be initially launched in 4 colors. Black , White, Silver and Champagne Mica.

It seems that it will have class leading features and equipments. They are also offering additional gizmos.

I have booked the car. I will post a detailed review when I will get the delivery.

So the guys at Shinrai Toyota, Nariman Point said the car isn't due untill mid-next month at best. They are yet to receive brochures and the official price list.

Anyone in the forum has a load-down on the happenings?

Last edited by methecupid : 26th July 2012 at 13:05.
Old 4th August 2012, 21:55   #54
BHPian

Official - Toyota to launch Camry on 24th of August.

Quote:
IAB: You had told us in April that the new Toyota Camry will be out in August, do you have a specific date to share today?
Mr Singh: On 24th August, we will launch the Camry.
Special editions of Innova, Etios and Fortuner are also planned.

Source:Official - Toyota Camry launches on August 24 in India
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 02:05   #55
BHPian

Got a call from my Toyota dealer in Worli today (Shinrai Toyota). He mentioned of the new Camry to be launched on 26th August 2012. Bookings are already open on payment of an amount of Rs.1,00,000. Confirmed pricing and launch details with the unveiling date at the dealership is promised to me on call back from their end. Will keep this space updated with whatever information I can gather.

Toyota fanatics at heart, my family in its serious considerations. Price it right with the right level of equipment, they may have a sale from our end.

Regards,
n:CorE
Old 5th August 2012, 10:26   #56
BHPian

Toyota was scheduled to begin assembling the camry at the bangalore plant from 2nd of August. I got to know this as I was visiting the plant.
Old 5th August 2012, 11:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Toyota to launch Camry on 24th of August.
That's great news though I see a bleak future for 'petrol only' driven cars for the near future in India. Personally, had it been launched earlier, this would have been in my garage instead of the Superb.
Old 8th August 2012, 15:31   #58
BHPian

Camry to come with a 2.5 Litre 4 cylinder naturally aspirated petrol engine.

Quote:
.....The 2012 Camry that will be launched in the country will adopt the Euro spec styling, which looks more grown up when compared to the US-spec Camry. ....

....The India bound Camry will feature a 2.5 Liter, fouf cylinder petrol engine pumping out 178 Bhp of peak power. This smooth motor is naturally aspirated and features variable valve timing. The engine will be mated to a six speed automatic transmission which also has an overdrive feature for relaxed mile munching on the highway......

Source:India bound 2012 Toyota Camry sedan to feature a 2.5 Liter petrol engine | IndianCarsBikes.in
Old 9th August 2012, 20:17   #59
BHPian

Toyota Camry spec sheet

Toyota Camry Indian spec sheet
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 14:30   #60
BHPian

Dear Friends,

This is what the Toyota has sent me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Camry details1.pdf (305.7 KB, 273 views)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed