Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 02:39   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti @ Auto Expo 2012

Do I see a Korean made Samsung Television in the back of that pseudo Indian-Japanese Ecco?

The Maruti stall is quite a let down.

Yes, the tall-boys might make a lot of sense in a country like India. Those sliding doors might come in handy, especially for the older folk who'd have trouble getting in and out of cars. I guess that who they were targeting in the first place?

No man with self respect would be caught driving those half-baked super-micro mini-van tall boy things. Practical or not. Just look at those dashboards and the overdose of squareness everywhere. It's like they took an assortment of mini-vans and shrunk them a few sizes. We have the Wagon-R and the Estillo is, quite frankly, pushing it in the first place.

Honestly, nothing in this stall appeals to me. The Kizashi looks good, but the matt-white wrap could have been avoided on the bumper intake/grill. It looks very defined now, and somehow, doesn't look good. The rest of the car is good though.

The only digestible car in the Maruti stable would be the SX4 crossover. Why is Maruti planning on giving us a brand new Swift-based mini-crossover when the SX4 has been around for ages. It should do the job just as well, IMO. And it's even production ready, so it won't take them ages for it to see the light of Indian day. Besides, it shouldn't cost them too much to make, considering that it would share several parts with its sedan sibling.

The A-Star is just gawdy.

And don't even get me started on all those body-kits. Apart from the Alto K10, none of them looked good.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th January 2012 at 02:42.
Old 10th January 2012, 09:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

I somehow feel, that Maruti should launch this MR wagon here. It has decent looks, if price lower than the competition (read - Eon), mauti may just have another successful tall boy in its kitty.

I for one, am a big fan of good looking boxy cars!
Old 10th January 2012, 12:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

I want that body kit on my K10!.Maruti and DC have a tie-up or something?Incredible how they always come up with hideous "concepts".

Remember the blinged up maruti 800's on the previous shows?Yuck.

The matt kisashi doesnt look good,normal white looks better.
Old 10th January 2012, 13:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Zen Estilo Dreamliner- definitely female- Thought of adding to the thread. Suzuki has nicely segmented their cars for males and females with these customisations..

Maruti @ Auto Expo 2012-image_073.jpg
Old 10th January 2012, 14:31   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I have the feeling that if Maruti does a little more work on the AStar (read providing it better matched interiors) it just might work as a cute city run around that targets the young female audience.

The Omni Cuppa is the car that parents would buy their college going kids to ensure that they dont enjoy life too much, if you know what I mean
Old 10th January 2012, 14:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hideous is an understatement. Especially the Kei cars and the mini vans.

the only decent ones on show are the Alto, Kizashi and the SX4 crossover.
Old 10th January 2012, 14:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Horrendous display of cars, IMO! MSIL- please do us a favor and dont get those kei cars to India.

What was that Omni cuppa? A chalta phirta CCD/Barista outlet? Because that is exactly what it looked like!

Im pretty sure the A-Star Cabriolet would be pretty popular amongst the fairer sex, if this made it to our roads.
Old 10th January 2012, 18:10   #23
BANNED

Why DZire CS and New 800 are not there at the Auto Expo?
Old 10th January 2012, 18:58   #24
BHPian

I am not a Maruti fan but I somehow like the pallete. I always like such car which had a sliding door. first one being the first gen wagon R in U.S.

I think I like the practicality of the sliding doors and the tremendous amount of space. I agree that the interiors are not tastefully done and wreaks the scent of paleolithic age.

Again I like the Gruff looking Omni Cuppa. I wish it had a 1.6 engine rather than the puny 800cc.

I also feel that once these K cars are destined for Indian roads the suspension tuning and probably the face of the car would change. makes sense to do that isnt it ?
Old 10th January 2012, 20:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quite a disappointment, I'd say. I agree with the folks here, A-star cabriolet could be a decent hit for its category. It does look really good! Anyways the car flopped. Maruti can actually get the cabriolet and see if it works before discontinuing the A-star totally.
The A-star does have a competent chassis when compared to the likes of i10 or WagonR. Hope some model makes use of it.
Old 10th January 2012, 20:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I have the feeling that if Maruti does a little more work on the AStar (read providing it better matched interiors) it just might work as a cute city run around that targets the young female audience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Im pretty sure the A-Star Cabriolet would be pretty popular amongst the fairer sex, if this made it to our roads.
Why

I dont mind driving that A-Star with following mods

1) Black exterior with no graphics/decals
2) Killer alloys
3) Black Interior with red lining on seat cover
4) Reduced GC
5) Power around 100 BHP
6) Caliper in yellow

Last edited by Latheesh : 10th January 2012 at 20:43.
Old 10th January 2012, 20:44   #27
BHPian

Only "like" for the A star convertible. My female friends there with me actually named it cookie!
We Indian s are a step ahead though, had seen an A star soft top convertible almost 6 months back at a fuel station in Gurgaon near Huda city center metro station.

Maruti s show was such a let down , only grace points for the theme of the hall.
Old 10th January 2012, 22:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

The A-star cabriolet Automatic seemed a perfect recipe for Indian market. A mini convertible. They should launch this in market with two engine options:

1: The female version with AT and good FE
2: A sporty model with 100bhp engine.

Few pics I clicked:

Maruti @ Auto Expo 2012-image_075.jpg

Maruti @ Auto Expo 2012-image_074.jpg

Maruti @ Auto Expo 2012-image_076.jpg

Maruti @ Auto Expo 2012-image_077.jpg

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 10th January 2012 at 22:42.
Ym-enjn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 01:36   #29
BHPian

The Solio looks great! They should really bring it down here; I'm sure it'll be a hit!
Although the work on all them automatic dashboards wasn't anything to write home about, I found the gearshift-on-dashboard concept to be very very catchy!

Loved the alloy designs on most of them. And great job on that Alto K10!! Definitely a sight for sore eyes it is!

Overall a 7.5/10 for the Maruti section from me!

P.S. The SX4 crossover makes up for all the brownie points lost by the Omni Cuppa!
Old 11th January 2012, 03:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is for the masses, everyone swallowed the swift, Dzire, estilo, wagon r etc., why should these cars be any different ?

BTW, the A-star cabriolet looks oh so very nice, I would not stand anywhere near 1 km from that car. The beetle cabriolet had some spunk, but this one is junk IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks