Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 15:55   #16
BHPian

Re: Why are SUVs becoming so popular?

I presume when we say SUV, we are talking about the Form Factor and not really the ability to go off-road.

The major reason IMO would be roads, of course. Comfortable ergonomics and comfort also tilts the scale in its favour.
Old 9th January 2012, 15:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

I asked a couple of women colleagues in the US as to why they were driving SUVs rather than sedans. Both said they felt safer in the SUV.

They gave the example of a frontal collision. In the SUV, you sit higher, whereas in a sedan, the point of impact will be the windscreen and not the bumper if the other vehicle is an SUV or truck.

They also said SUVs, with their high GC and 4WD help during winter while driving on snowy roads. I did experience getting stuck in an Accord and had to switch over to a pal's Nissan Rogue to get dropped in time at the railway station.

Last edited by vnabhi : 9th January 2012 at 16:00.
Old 9th January 2012, 15:58   #18
BHPian

Roads for me too. Whenever I traverse an impossible stretch in my car, I resolve my next buy would be a mini SUV.
Old 9th January 2012, 15:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

1. Larger families - at least once in a while when one has visitors.
2. Uncertain road conditions if one travels across the countryside.
3. Prices and fuel efficiency are both getting better and more comparable to sedans
Old 9th January 2012, 16:08   #20
BHPian

There are few of the SUV/MUV under 10L tag. So it will be a tempting option for people going for sedan in the same range to go for SUV. Plus it will be more spacious, both in front and back. And not to forget, driving and SUV gives a different driving pleasure when compared to small cars. I personally like the driving pleasure in the SUV's.
Old 9th January 2012, 16:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Multiple reasons, in their order of priority
  1. Space and Comfort
  2. Ability to peacefully drive over bad roads that are present everywhere

Not so important, but still nice to have
  1. High stance, high seating
  2. Macho image
Old 9th January 2012, 16:16   #22
BHPian

One more thing I want to add is that today's SUVs are getting equipped with modern engines, latest technologies, gizmos and are getting more car-like, while maintaining their SUV ness. In other words, one gets the best of both worlds, in one machine. Truly VFM !!
auto-one is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 16:16   #23
BHPian

My next vehicle will be a SUV.
Only 2 reasons:

1. Primary - drive peacefully along the road without getting pushed/cut over by jokers.
2. Secondary - space.

cheers
lazy
Old 9th January 2012, 16:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Tata's 'Reclaim your Life' ads.

On a serious note, I think the 'life style' of the SUV owning, Leh visiting, travelogue writing, DSLR using owner has hit the urban populace hard. Agreed our city road aren't the best and our highways have unmarked speed bumps, but I feel that what attracts the urban customer most is that image.

Add to the fact that SUVs are practical, spacious, comfortable and offer decent FE (some great diesel engines around) and it's hard to see why one wouldn't want a SUV!

In rural India SUVs like the Bolero drive home the numbers for their sheer work-horse appeal. Also the relatively tougher conditions that vehicles in Rural India are used in warrant the purchase of an SUV.

The 2012 Auto Expo also showcases the fact the next big thing to hit our markets is the compact SUV. About as small as a hatchback but still much more desirable. I'm sure (if priced at reasonable levels) many a hatchback owner will gladly upgrade to the Compact SUV.
anekho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 17:02   #25
BHPian

First, to each his own.

In my case, I wanted to buy a Scorpio, after test driving, felt extremely uncomfortable, especially with the body roll and suspensions, which is true with Safari et al. Have not TDed XUV, so cannot comment.

Statistically, you spend most time on the "normal" albeit a bit uneven roads, and if there is significant body roll, then all your macho-image and the likes goes down the drain.

If tackling bad roads/off-roading is the prime objective I would opt for a Thar or a CJ, over a "crossover" SUV.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
They gave the example of a frontal collision. In the SUV, you sit higher, whereas in a sedan, the point of impact will be the windscreen and not the bumper if the other vehicle is an SUV or truck.
That may have been true 25 years back, but modern trucks and buses are designed in such a way(lower point of contact) that they don't bang straight into a sedan's windscreen.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
That may have been true 25 years back, but modern trucks and buses are designed in such a way(lower point of contact) that they don't bang straight into a sedan's windscreen.
That is still the case, even after 25 years, at least in India. The only 'design' change towards pedestrian and small vehicle safety in almost 50% of medium sized commercial vehicles is the introduction of a circular pipe sort of barrier suspended below the main body (front/behind) of the vehicle, which is either promptly removed or if damaged, and deattached, is never put back. That's why cars take most of damage on A pillar in case of head on collisions with such vehicles.

Last edited by Puneet.S : 9th January 2012 at 17:14.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:11   #28
BHPian

Won't go for an SUV, but a CUV (Body roll in a SUV is too heavy for comfort, given our roads). Factors in favour being: 1) Respect: auto rickshaws and two wheelers tend to stay away, cars just won't jump ahead into your lane, bigger vehicles wont force me to move out of my lane. 2) bad roads, 3) a little more head room, and 4) visibility and driving position. My choice: Ford Ecosport
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 17:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Can't remember where I read this - A woman executive in Delhi switched to a Safari SUV after her former hatchback car was harassed by cabbies and other lumpen elements in the night. Many women prefer SUV as it tends to give them a sense of safety on a lonely drive.
My cousin also bought a scorpio few years back in Delhi to avoid harassment from cabbies.She felt more safe driving the scorpio.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 9th January 2012 at 17:18.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:14   #30
dot
Senior - BHPian

If I buy an SUV the number one reason would be keep pesky two/three wheelers and wannabe bullies at bay. Unfortunately a large vehicle carries this image where no one wants to mess with it. The other day I was driving BHPian JealousDiamond's Safari and it was interesting to note that no one on the road tried to do anything funny, like cut across or overtake from left, etc.

So why fight the trend, be part of it.

P.S: Bad roads would be reason number two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks