Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 17:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Why are SUVs becoming so popular?

I felt the need for SUV ever since the roads took a liking for my Figo's underside. I just need decent ground clearance, not particular that it should be a SUV, a Ford Fusion like vehicle should do.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 18:05   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I have been used to jeep/ SUV/ go anywhere type vehicles since I was a kid.

Always preferred them, simply because they are more utilitarian and functional than the standard car type vehicle.

I really dont care about "imposing road presence" or "macho" image - these have no appeal for me personally.

Size as a criterion is more about available space for me, not the amount of metal you get.

The high ground clearance does certainly help on our "no road" scenarios - at least in Bangalore/ Karnataka state!

Now I am a total fan of the "Crossover" - the sort of vehicle which does its best to give you the best of both worlds.

For me at least, I guess the "Crossover" is the way into the future.

It is true as TSK says, that for a lot of people, the SUV is to an extent an "aspirational" vehicle - largely because of its relative un-common-ness. Many people, given a choice between a regular little hatch and an SUV type vehicle, would probably go for the SUV, on account of this "aspiration".

But things will change - the world over, the requirement is clearly there for less aggressive, softer, yet capable vehicles, hence the crossovers. As of now in our developing economy, it appears that "might is right" and hence this SUV madness that is upon us!

Cheers!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th January 2012 at 18:09.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 18:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Roads were horrible even earlier. But SUVs never sold as much as it does now. Infact, now roads are much better.

its aspiration driven imho. plus now due to road rage/safety and space constraints, bigger = safer for a lot of people.

99% buy the 4x2 variants of most "S"UVs. Just as people buy MTBs as their first bike because "our roads are so bad yaar".
Old 9th January 2012, 19:47   #34
BHPian

Just drove a Safari on a 250 KM strech I used to frequent on my ANHC. The fun to drive aspect is definitely missing, with a result that I have grown even more fond of my ANHC. Besides, the overall refinement, cabin quiteness and quality is something I probably would not compromise on.

Nevertheless, I found night driving relatively stress free in the Safari. Didn't get blinded by the traffic coming from the front, and it might be due to the fact that I'm 6'1, but even the seating and comfort level was superior. And I havent even begun to talk about our (in)famous roads. The vehicle jumped over a nasty crater at one point, and I shuddered to think what might have been the fate of the ANHC.

So my next vehicle? Like so many have mentioned, a combination of both, so most probably the Ford Ecosport. Although, I'll be keeping a keen eye in case a less used Skoda Yeti enters the used car market
Old 9th January 2012, 20:15   #35
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I believe, SUVs have always been 'popular' in the sense that most people 'wanted' one. Why recently they have become 'popular' in the sense that quite a lot of people have started actually 'buying' one is because of following reasons:
1. SUVs are no longer guzzlers and can give FE numbers comparable to a lot of normal cars.
2. SUVs have become affordable and you no longer need to be super-rich to own one.
3. The driving manners of modern SUVs and crossovers have improved significantly.

In the last few years, SUVs have become 'practical' and lot of people seem to be voting for them with their wallets.
Old 9th January 2012, 21:01   #36
BHPian

SUV anyday Below are the reasons in the order of priority.

1. good GC to tackle Indian road conditions.
2. Space. Be it for hauling luggage for a 10 day getaway or an occassional
family trip with few relatives.
3. Macho looks and commanding presence. Though I dont relate the
Macho looks to the owner's pesonality, it is much needed to keep the
Cabbies road rage at a distance.
4. Good visibility, High seating means less glare at nights from the
oncoming traffic.
5. Mordern SUVs are giving decent FE.
6. Budget SUVs can be considered as handicapped when High speed
stability is concerned. But, even the GQ which is supposed to the best
is not safe at >110 Kmph max. And, most of the SUVs are reasonably
stable at these speeds.

In my case, everytime I make a trip to my native (Kumbakonam),especially when I cross the Vikravandi-Dindivanam, Sethiathope-Anaikarai Stretch, My decision of buying an SUV gets stronger and stronger.

Forget Offroading, Sports activities.
Old 9th January 2012, 22:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

I think it's the bigger the car , bigger the status thing that may lead people to buy a SUV.SUV's will be popular with large (both size and nos) families where space is important.Besides most SUV's come with a diesel engine which might tilt somebody's decision to buy one due to the ever increasing petrol prices.It would be like, well if it's gonna be a diesel might as well get a SUV.

I wonder if the demand keeps growing where are all these people going to park their vehicles.I have problems finding parking my 800 sometimes.
Old 9th January 2012, 23:01   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I felt the need for SUV ever since the roads took a liking for my Figo's underside. I just need decent ground clearance, not particular that it should be a SUV, a Ford Fusion like vehicle should do.
Same here. I would rather plonk my money on a Yeti/Eco-Sport than on a (S/M)UV.

You get bullied a bit and that is it. I for one don't mind & let hot-heads take their space & am cool as long as they keep safe distance. Something like the X6. Read more here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2595966 Even I was surprised, but then few drives in a Scorpio & it is so easy to maintain comfortable cruising speed of 100-110kmph all day. Over that NVH, body-roll, braking & the huge ORVM (they make a whistling sound) spoil the fun.

I remember as to how I had to brake for strays at ~70kmph odd in wet & the tires locked up w/o any warning. Most Cars have very progressive brakes & you can modulate them.

I will always prefer a Cross-over & sedan. SUV? Grukha F5 or even the humble G55 AMG will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Now I am a total fan of the "Crossover" - the sort of vehicle which does its best to give you the best of both worlds.

For me at least, I guess the "Crossover" is the way into the future.
Old 9th January 2012, 23:05   #39
Team-BHP Support

I'll just quote something I wrote long back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I used to be a pure car guy, and I didn't like SUVs much. I used to argue against high CG, bad handling, lumbering girth, and gas-guzzling nature of SUVs. That’s how I was until I moved to coastal Karnataka, where one can truly experience bad road nirvana. Since early last year, I learnt more about SUVs than I knew about it all my life. As I was learning about SUVs, it was hard to miss the 4x4 and off-roading aspects of SUV. Pretty soon, I rejected all non-4WD SUVs from contention. Instead I started looking for a family SUV that can do off-roading. Before the end of the year, my fast car (Baleno) made way for the nimble bad road SUV(Grand Vitara).
Old 10th January 2012, 00:25   #40
Team-BHP Support

When people say, they need an SUV because of family size being a prime reason, I have only question:

1. If travel for a large family is a main priority, the why do people choose an SUV (like Scorp/Safari) instead of an MUV like Innova.

I think there is definitely an emotional connect somewhere.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 00:27   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
When people say, they need an SUV because of family size being a prime reason, I have only question:

1. If travel for a large family is a main priority, the why do people choose an SUV (like Scorp/Safari) instead of an MUV like Innova.

I think there is definitely an emotional connect somewhere.
Price. The innova costs a lot more than these.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 01:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

I see only a few justifiable reasons for buying SUVs:

a. Ability to tackle bad roads better, including better gournd clearance.
b. Driver doesn't get blinded by oncoming lights on highways.
c. People maintain 'psychological' distance, but this is only at times, not always.
d. Serious off-roading 4X4 requirements.

Most of the requirements in a. & b. are met by the crossovers or mini-SUVs, a market that is growing now here.

I see people proposing the following reasons which I consider frivolous:

a. Macho looks and the 'Reclaim your Life' lifestyle matters. I think this is the actual 'emotional' reason for it, an aspirational product to have and use for your holidays complete with the DSLRs, tents and hiking boots.
b. More space (most SUVs have useless third row seats, except the LR Discovery, perhaps). If one wants a seven seater, it is the Xylo, Innova or the R-Class if you've got the cash for it.
c. Powerful engines at that price (applicable to Safari / Scorpio giving 140 BHP engines at a price point where most sedans stop at 120 BHP or so). This is negated by the additional kerb weight of the SUVs as compared to sedans anyways.

I see a lot of hardcore tourers buy the most basic SUVs (typically Scorpios or Safaris) and utilise them to the fullest, hats off to them. But for every tourer of that kind, there are ten times more urban yuppies who drive their SUVs to their offices, occupy 5 m X 1.8 m space where they could have managed with 4.2 m X 1.65 m with a sedan and burn diesel @11 kpl in the city when they could have managed 17 kpl in a sedan.

I am not against SUVs, but to use a cannon where a pistol would have done the job is not really my cup of tea. That said, many of our tourer have their hatchbacks at home for judicious local use. Also, another little note of appreciation to Mahindra who have kept the Scorpio as short in length as a sedan and only 4 inches or so wider.

Last edited by architect : 10th January 2012 at 01:14.
Old 10th January 2012, 07:21   #43
Team-BHP Support

If I consider buying an SUV, the primary reason will be to tackle bad roads.
But for that purpose, we are now seeing an increase in the choices of mild-mannered cross-overs. I personally don’t believe much in the might and road presence of the SUVs.

In general the following aspects maybe the reason for the popularity of big SUVs
1) Genuine off-roading requirements / frequent road trips to unknown territories
2) High seating position and better view
3) To keep smaller vehicles at bay
4) Space and utility – many people don’t like the idea of driving a van, and for them 7-seater SUVs are the alternate choice
5) Sense of security
Old 10th January 2012, 08:58   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Price. The innova costs a lot more than these.
That is a good point @bblost. But I have also seen many folks saying outright to Innova and buy Scorp/Safari, even when they have the cash to buy an Innova. But people who are very clear about their needs will buy the Innova/Xylo.

I guess there is an emotional appeal in some part.
Old 10th January 2012, 09:08   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I'll just quote something I wrote long back...
Is the average speed on our roads almost the same between the two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
many people don’t like the idea of driving a van, and for them 7-seater SUVs are the alternate choice
Would never like to own something like the MS Ertiga, would rather buy the Safari/Scorpio LX over this.

Xylo is a very good alternative to Innova which costs ~Rs.2L less. With the Car not moving much, expect a galore of discounts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks