Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 12:19   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why are SUVs becoming so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
various reasons like Macho Image, more metal, high viewpoint, prestige, etc are totted out for the increasing popularity of SUVs.

In my view the primary reason is

Our really bad roads. These leave no real options to the average buyer. Our NHs will be put to shame by the Roman Chariot Tracks, and this is, I beleive, the 21st century.
Good point SIrji. I agree with you. Many time i get annoyed with small or sedan car on bad roads. You just cant go fast on bad roads in those cars. Recently i went to Konkan region & i was annoyed by the Road till Mangaon (Tamhini Ghat). Stretch of 70-80 Kms was really bad & it took me more 2.5 hours to cover that. Road was empty still i was driving like 30-40 KMPH max. That time i felt need of SUV. Also in city use as well i would like SUV so that no people can mess up with me. Specially 2 wheelers, autos etc. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/LOL.gif

My reasons to buy SUV will be:

1 Bad roads
2 Space
3 Comfort
4 Image
5 Power
Old 10th January 2012, 12:26   #62
BHPian

Yes - I have lot of confused friends including myself. Most of us don't want be caught/seen driving a MPV aka "Taxi". "What will people say?" It's a socio emotional economics thing I guess.

Head says - "Big family" - buy a Innova / Xylo
Heart says - "Big family - will squeeze them + luggage" - but buy a Scopio/Safari - Oh why not XUV!

Pistol and canon logic does not work when you are spending almost equal amount of money. One will obviously buy what one wants and not what one needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
When people say, they need an SUV because of family size being a prime reason, I have only question:

1. If travel for a large family is a main priority, the why do people choose an SUV (like Scorp/Safari) instead of an MUV like Innova.

I think there is definitely an emotional connect somewhere.
rockyb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 12:30   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Having driven the Safari, Innova, Scorpio and Endy, I always feel that with SUVs you need to brake a bit early (maybe it is psychological -- I feel a big car will have a larger braking distance). So while I can literally go bumper to bumper in my Wagon R, won't do so in an SUV. In fact, I have rarely seen SUVs go like that. The cars that I readily give way to are old battered Omnis and the postal vans (IMHO the most dangerous creatures on road).
A piece of advice out of concern: Please avoid bumper to bumper driving even if you feel confident that you are in control and you feel ensured that the driver in front has no reason to break suddenly. I am serious. Every day on Delhi roads you can see this unfolding where 2-3 cars at a time and sometimes even more stack up one behind the other. You should always maintain a minimum distance from the car in front regardless of its breaking capabilites. One of my collage mates used to drive the same way and I always used to object but in vain. He collided once while driving a car and still didn't listen and blamed it on the other driver's sudden uncalled for breaking. Now we only have his memories with us because the next time he wasn't that lucky on his bike.

Quote:
It is good if people make way for you, but if they don't, there is not much you can do to wriggle ahead.
+1. But some Schumachers on our roads take it as there life's mission to drive as if they are playing "naughts and crosses".
Old 10th January 2012, 12:35   #64
BHPian

Highways are getting better but not everywhere. For example ask anyone who stays in Mangalore, Manipal, Karwar stretch (NH66). Am sure there are many more examples from across the country. I like to travel a lot. Traveling tales*|*Just another tale of a bohemian soul.. Most of the time I take off beaten road instead of the main highway. In Karnataka most of these roads are really bad.

When it comes to cities most of the interior roads of Bangalore are not in good shape after 2 - 3 days of rain.

So overall I am less worried in a SUV while travelling

But yes in good roads I assume a sedan may be more comfortable to drive- till I find one where I am ergonomically happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have one small question to all members: How bad do you guys feel are the Indian roads today including both cities and highways?
Old 10th January 2012, 12:37   #65
BHPian

Quote:
A piece of advice out of concern: Please avoid bumper to bumper driving even if you feel confident that you are in control and you feel ensured that the driver in front has no reason to break suddenly. I am serious. Every day on Delhi roads you can see this unfolding where 2-3 cars at a time and sometimes even more stack up one behind the other. You should always maintain a minimum distance from the car in front regardless of its breaking capabilites. One of my collage mates used to drive the same way and I always used to object but in vain. He collided once while driving a car and still didn't listen and blamed it on the other driver's sudden uncalled for breaking. Now we only have his memories with us because the next time he wasn't that lucky on his bike.

+1. But some Schumachers on our roads take it as there life's mission to drive as if they are playing "naughts and crosses".
Thanks for your concern -- but please note I said "can", not "do".

On a serious note, in traffic jams, I actually find it easier to drive bumper to bumper as that prevents bikes / autos from wriggling in and makes driving much less stressful.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:49   #66
BHPian

Only yesterday, I was stuck in a 'political rally' with not an inch of clear space in sight. I was relieved to have brought my Scorpio to work and not my Corolla. With the side steps to keep 2 wheelers at bay and the tow hook ( I have a 4X4) at the back to protect the rear, I waded through traffic calmly. Off-roading capabilities aside, the traffic scene in our country demands a SUV.
Old 10th January 2012, 13:06   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

During my childhood,I always used to think that SUVs belonged to the goons who would get down from big vehicles with black films on the window glass,wearing black shades and white clothes.This was replaced by the politicians after sometime with some resemblance between both.Now,with so many SUVs on offer and with such a varied price range,i also dream of owning one in near future.I have nearly similar reasons but the most important for me being that i would LOVE to intimidate all the other SUV chaps.Reason for this is that here,most of the SUVs i see are either Boleros or second hand Safaris being driven by stupid and small guys who feel that they are the king once behind the wheel of a SUV,with least regard for safety of other people and traffic rules.Moreover,there is a general misconception that SUV=SPEED.One can find morons speeding like crazy in Scorpios and Fortuners!(Bihar has so many Fortuners now that it has lost its exclusivity.) I have chased and thrashed a Bolero guy who acted smart,later to be taken by police for driving without licence.I want them to give a taste of their own.Well,this is a very illogical reason but at times this does come to my mind.
Logical reason is that the roads are in bad shape and some stretches are difficult to travel in a hatchback.Thankfully my Ritz with good ground clearance helps me with most but not all.Secondly,family size is also going to increase so gotta plan ahead.Another important one is affordability due to economics and dealer network.Earlier,it was a distant dream,now its very much on the cards.
Old 10th January 2012, 13:55   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Prowler Thanks for penning your thoughts. So what was it that turned you away from Innova?
Given that they came down to similar price points?
My first car was an Amby which I fitted with an Isuzu 1.8 L diesel engine. This was in 1995. I roamed most of South India in that car which laid some sort of fear into me - the engine's sump was so low that you can't even go over a pot hole without scraping the sump. I had many instances of oil leakage because of this. First time I bought a Safari - TCIC in 2005, it was a great relief - I no longer had to worry about the speed breakers, moon like craters and slush. So when I wanted to change the used car, I opted for another Safari despite a better dealer who allowed me to TD his Innova at my door step. I agree Ampere - about some underlying emotional 'need' for a SUV.

Even now I prefer Safari to my Ikon as the ingress/egress is easier even for city rides. So to summarize, the go-anywhere capability and the bigger powerful car gives you some extra confidence to travel anywhere at any time. I am the only one to drive for any long distance trips in my family. You can carry half your home in a Safari without sacrificing the comfort. Your wider tires give you added grip on waterlogged roads or muddy slush. I am sorry if I sounded passionate.

In my recent trip, a M 800 crashed into my rear in a storm. The water logged roads and in a urge to escape the storm, M 800 rammed into me which resulted in his bonnet caving in. I was furious at first and then realized that there was no visible damage to my bumper. I let him go without creating any scene.
Old 10th January 2012, 14:05   #69
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Come to HSR Layout next time when you are in Bangalore and judge for yourself how "good" the roads are in this Garden/ IT City!

Or go to Coorg which has recently pipped Kerala as the hottest tourist destination and see how "lovely" the roads are - especially the roads going to Virajpet!

It would definitely be better to have an SUV, rather than a car, given these conditions that we live in!

Quote:
I have one small question to all members: How bad do you guys feel are the Indian roads today including both cities and highways?
Old 10th January 2012, 14:19   #70
BHPian

For the unsaid, unwritten, undemanding respect you get when you drive one on the roads!! I took a Safari test drive a couple of weeks ago and man! the response from the usual auto guys and other road dwellers was totally different from what I was used to in my Santro! I honk, step on the accelerator to make my presence felt and there, you have entire stretch for yourself!! In my opinion these machines helps you put a mask of brute and power even if you are not one!!
Old 10th January 2012, 14:21   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Price. The innova costs a lot more than these.
I somewhat disagree. I think while an SUV is something you will want to buy (if you are an SUV type of guy), an MUV like Innova is something you will only because you need it. So, the aspirational value in buying an Innova type vehicle is zilch (in fact maybe negative)

I fail to understand why will I ever buy an Innova if I have a family of 3 or 4? Maybe its a demographic preference too. When I was in Delhi (or whenever I go back home), I see the only purpose that people use it for Innova are either for business purposes or as a people carrier (joint families).

So while I agree that its a crackerjack vehicle at what it was built for, I don't see it as a personal vehicle at all. Just my opinion
Old 10th January 2012, 14:28   #72
BANNED

Correct. But these are clear signs of a yet immature society, where only might is right!
I used to drive my Scorpio till a couple of months ago as my daily drive and yes, certainly, people used to be galvanized into action in terms of leaping out of the way and stuff, whenever they saw the Scorp or heard it approach.
Today, in the new Yeti, I am just another car on the road. I drive with care and follow lane discipline etc at all times, unless absolutely unavoidable. But changing lanes in the Yeti is definitely more difficult than changing lanes in the Scorpio.
I guess one has to simply live with these things as long as we remain a developing society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
For the unsaid, unwritten, undemanding respect you get when you drive one on the roads!! In my opinion these machines helps you put a mask of brute and power even if you are not one!!
Old 10th January 2012, 14:44   #73
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents worth:
Broadly categorising prospective buyers into 2 categories; those who have the family/ means to buy a 7 seater SUV and those who didnt. There were always some with smaller families who still bought a bigger SUV for all the reasons already mentioned (intimidatpry presence/ bad roads/ space, etc.)
Now with the advent of the compact SUV or in other words affordable soft roaders, the segment for normal use (non 4x4) offers a smaller vehicle at the price point of a sedan or even some hatchbacks.
And as a buyer, if the snob value of say a Honda Civic has been replaced by a Yeti or an Ecosport, then why not go for that?
After all not every one wants to or can buy a Fortuner sized beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I would make sure that I buy one in White, get some dark tints and preferrably have the numberplate in devnagri script. Oh, and some party stickers on it too .
Dude thats not all. You would need to overhaul your wardrobe and accessories (read as gold choker thingies and aviators). I dont think I would be intimidated if I saw you driving a tinted, white SUV dressed in business casuals. You look too kind to pull that off in as-is condition
Old 10th January 2012, 16:04   #74
BANNED

The brakes on most of our Indian SUV's (except the top variants with ABS etc), are poor. Very frightening feeling indeed, especially on wet roads etc.

This "wriggling ahead" business - I dont understand why we do it. If we simply follow lane discipline and the queue system, it would make everyone's life so much easier and we would all get to our destinations faster!

Slightly OT:
Perhaps it is because a large part of the road users in India are conditioned practically from birth to attempt to claw their way to the top at any cost; be it for a seat on the bus, a seat in the classroom, an admission into college, a job interview or even to buy groceries and pay the bill at the till or whatever else!

Maybe it is some sort of "upwardly mobile middle class" sort of conditioning that motivates us never to yield our place to another person for fear of being bumped out entirely.

Or is it because there a lots of newly arrived chaps out there who simply haven't been taught the "niceties".

What ever happened to our early training where we were taught to give up our seats to the elderly and generally be a little considerate!!

In today's scenario, if one yields to a pedestrian, allowing them to cross the road, one is met with strange looks of amazement from the said pedestrian, to the accompaniment of a loud cacophony of horns from the irate, impatient denizens of the road who are behind one,on the road!
Ridiculous.

Ah! My constant lament, out for an airing once again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
I always feel that with SUVs you need to brake a bit early .

It is good if people make way for you, but if they don't, there is not much you can do to wriggle ahead.
Old 10th January 2012, 16:10   #75
Senior - BHPian

The image of SUV owners is changing now. Earlier either it was Scorpio of Safari as SUV. Which were more as utility SUVs. The image was Village life or bigger family of the Power walas.

Not the companies are giving out modern SUVs and in premium range. So the Trend is setting for SUVs in the higher segment market and now all price bands want SUV coz it is no more a bulky Diesel people mover. Now the Diesels have moved far ahead and there are new options coming us every day.

So why not a luxury SUV at the same price of a sedan from Top companies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks