Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 17:47   #1
BHPian

The Mega Auto Expo 2014 Thread: General Discussion, Live Feed & Pics

Due to mad rush at the current venue (Pragati Maidan) in Delhi during Auto Expo 2012, there are certain changes planned for 2014 Auto Expo:
  • Shift the current dates (January) to the next month (February)
  • Reserve first day exclusively for Media and second day for Special Invitees
  • If required then shift the venue outside the city (New Delhi)
Quote:

Auto Expo 2012: After 2012 chaos, auto expo 2014 venue may move out of city

NEW DELHI: The next edition of the Auto Expo will not see a repeat of the mismanagement that has plagued the ongoing exhibition, the organisers have said, promising a better experience for exhibitors as well as visitors at the world's second-largest motor show.

Auto Expo 2014 will be shifted to February and the first day will be reserved exclusively for the media. Special invitees will be accommodated on the second day.

This year, the second day saw an unanticipated rush at the venue, Pragati Maidan, and traffic jams all around through the day. Given this year's fiasco, the organisers have decided to allow general visitors only on the fourth day at the next show. They might also agree to shift the venue outside of the city.

Several participants have complained to the organisers and threatened to pull out of future shows, leading to this introspection.

"There has been much deliberation to avoid the confusion that marked the second day of the Auto Expo. The initial outcome suggests segregating the visitors at the event and also holding it in a month when it does not clash with any other international show," said Sugato Sen, director of Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers, which organises the show along with the Confederation of Indian Industry and Automotive Components Manufacturers' Association.

Global car makers, such as Volkswagen, Fiat and Renault, have raised the issue of Indian Auto Expo clashing with the annual vacations in Europe and the US.

Several CEOs, including Mahindra & Mahindra deputy chairman & MD Anand Mahindra and Maruti chairman RC Bhargava, have also raised concerns over the infrastructural capacity to handle 100,000 visitors a day.

"We need a new location that is big and can house all the exhibitors. We are deliberating options to grab a new venue where we can house the bulging number of auto companies as well as all the component makers in a single facility," said ACMA president Arvind Kapur.

Source: Auto Expo 2012: After 2012 chaos, auto expo 2014 venue may move out of city - The Economic Times

All this mess is created just because of poor management of Traffic and Crowds at the venue. Such chaos do happen at the trade fair (14-26 November) every year when lakhs (3-5 lakhs per day in last couple of days) of visitors choke the surrounding areas but then everybody makes money out of it. The surroundings were jammed in the last Auto Expo (2010) as well but this time its too much even for the organisers also because the CEOs have been treated like a normal person by the mad crowds.

It seems the authorities never dreamt of such a mad rush this time. had they controlled (like limited no. of visitors, higher ticket values etc.) it properly then this would have had never happened.

Any idea, if the venue is shifted away from New Delhi than where it can go? Pragati Maidan is around 150 acres of space within Central Delhi. I really can not think of such a big venue for India's largest automotive show.

Bad luck for New Delhi, if the venue is shifted.

MODS: Please move to the appropriate section if it does not belong to this section. Also this thread is created to discuss the changes in the next Auto Expo (2014).

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 10th January 2012 at 18:09. Reason: request for mods added
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 18:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mega Auto Expo 2014 Thread: General Discussion, Live Feed & Pics

It will be very disappointing if this happens. Delhi is the capital of India and it is the best place to organize such big exhibitions minus the chaos which NCR people creates.

I sincerely hopes that the event stays in Delhi for next time too.

But if not Delhi then where?
Old 10th January 2012, 18:13   #3
BHPian

Fingers crossed, this can be good hope for folks like me, IFF, Bangalore is chosen next. :P
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 18:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Bad luck for New Delhi, if the venue is shifted.
Bad luck?! Just when I was wondering why should it be in ND always! In fact, middle of the city should be a strict no-no for such an event, which ever city it is held. With the auto majors spread across different states, why can't we have a travelling circus .... er.. auto expo!
Old 10th January 2012, 18:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Going by enthusiasm that I have seen Gujarat exhibiting before
I am sure Gujarat govt especially Narendra Modified will go to full throttle to get Auto Expo in Gujarat. They have good amount of land and I am sure they will manage it better.
Pl don't take my statement to be political. just said that based on past experience in luring automakers to Gujarat.
xingamazon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 18:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Delhi Metro is mainly the crowd puller. Maximum numbers their were college/school couples enjoying the chilly day. It was like a picnic spot.

Let's hope for the best. Whatever be the venue, the overall organization should be good.

EDIT : First it was Metallica then Maruti and now Auto Expo - NCR having bad time and luck!

Last edited by bluevolt : 10th January 2012 at 18:48.
Old 10th January 2012, 18:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

They have said, they might consider shifting the venue outside *of* the city.

So, unless the author has terrible English, this report means, the venue might be outside the main city, i.e. in the outskirts of Delhi.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 19:45   #8
BHPian

I would like to suggest the Buddh International circuit. If i remember right Jaypee was saying that they are building huge halls for exhibitions /conventions etc and you loads of open space and one thing for sure it will not be congested as Pragathi Maidan.
Old 10th January 2012, 19:49   #9
BHPian

I think the venue need not be changed - what needs to change is the crowd management which is where other countries excel in. The "VIP" passes I think are the problem because in India, everybody and their uncle is a VIP !!. Stop VIP passes, reserve an exclusive media day and then a day for business visitors and then open up the show for 2 to 3 days for aam admi. why 2 to 3 days? Well after all, it is the aam admi who will buy the stuff exhibited.
Old 10th January 2012, 20:12   #10
BHPian

Guys venue is going to shift out of New Delhi and not NCR. I read a report where CII mentioned that talks are on with Haryana Chief Minister for venue in Gurgaon. Also last time they said they will shift to Noida.

I personally feel nothing is going to come out this. It is just talk which has been happening since past two expos. IMHO CII and ITPO need to get their act together. Last time business visitor pass was available to anyone with a corporate email id! I went and registered online and got a corporate pass to visit during business hours! Now imagine the rush.

All it needs is better crowd management and proper planning which CII is shirking.

Traffic management was an issue only on Day 1. The traffic police accepted their failure publicly on FB by none other than the chief himself and things were much much smoother from day 2. Everyone from manufactures and police have got their act together, high time CII does so and stops blaming everyone.
Old 10th January 2012, 23:04   #11
BHPian

Bring it to Chennai for 2014! We have a wide range of automobile and component manufacturers based here.
SedatedDrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 23:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

I dont think Delhi or Pragati Maidan is at fault. In fact it gives lot of advantages for an event of this magnitude. First the infrastructure is excellent, so many restaurants, public facilities, open space, broad roads inside big halls, many gates good connectivity.

It is the management which is at fault. They could easily manage the event by selling less tickets and giving out less passes. If it is getting over crowed then why dont they stop selling tickets then and there.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 10th January 2012 at 23:11.
Old 10th January 2012, 23:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

The real problem is conducting this event *ONLY* in New Delhi. I'm sure crowds from the whole country would have visited the place. Instead, have the event in atleast 5 major cities of India. That would solve half the problem.
Secondly, hike the entry fee to atleast double. This way, college kids and other casual audience will not attend the event in huge numbers making the event a bigger success.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 05:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

It will be interesting to see where it moves next, if it moves at all. There are a few automotive centers in India, Gujarat, and Pune come to my mind.

Making such events move around is surely going to benefit the manufacturers as this would generate more interest in everyone and more people will be hooked onto to automotive either as a customer or for career.
Old 11th January 2012, 07:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thats bad news for New Delhi. Although at heart secretly desire that the next Expo should be held in Mumbai but I know thats a rare possibility given the already chaotic condition in Mumbai.

I read in newspaper (It was Hindustan times I guess) couple of days back about media persons hogging for the free gifts at one on the manufacturer press conference. So much so that the convernor was cared to life with the junglee like jostlings which happened for the gifts.

Near stampede like situation at expo - Hindustan Times

Most Viewed