Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 22:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Premier RiO @ Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
one of the ugliest cars to have donned roads (Thank God I have seen just a couple on roads here in Bombay). This car shouldn't be certified road legal, just because of the way it looks.
Come on; do you really consider cars from the Maruti stable with FIAT engines better looking than this mish mash from China/Japan/France/Italy(in the future). Looks are subjective I agree but I just cannot fathom how you could write off this vehicle for the way it looks. If road legal certification was based even remotely on looks then the Swift, Dezire and Ritz would not have passed muster.
drpullockaran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 23:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

It is somewhat outdated looks for todays era. This design would have been good when the first Indian CRV was lunched.
I saw it at expo, the interior dash plastic was worse than any other I have ever seen.
Old 12th January 2012, 00:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
That right there is one of the ugliest cars to have donned roads (Thank God I have seen just a couple on roads here in Bombay). This car shouldn't be certified road legal, just because of the way it looks.

And this is what??? A SUV. And this is what???
I actually quite like the looks. And why do you think this car should not be certified road legal because of its looks? According to you, What exactly is the monumental problem with its looks?

I believe Premier has a history of being unethical in its dealings in the past, and that will definitely play a role in the minds of prospective customers, but on no account is that justification to bash the Rio itself.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 01:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Irrespective of what some people perceive, it does look good and fit for the price quoted. I hope that it does well, for it's own sake.

And compared to silly sportz versions by so called modern and crash tested hatches available, where upgrades are limited to stickering and a new color, this does indeed have some facelifts [including how interiors look].

good luck, RiO!!
Old 12th January 2012, 08:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

I dont see the Rio as offensive as some people have posted, it looks decent. I find the GC to be the only USP of the mini SUV. Understandably that the engines are sourced from outside does not make the car any dangerous on the roads. Have seen a couple of older versions of Rio on the streets and they look OK.

Atleast Premier is making progress as far as getting new engines are concerned.

@Animesh - Remembered the Saif Ali Khan Dialogue from pic Race "Races are won by driver and not by cars". Similarly streets are made dangerous by drivers and not the cars.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 09:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
couple of weeks ago they were showcasing the Rio in shopping malls in Mumbai/Thane and that was pre-facelifted version and the fit and finish did not look quite up to mark (remember the old Indica standards?). now i am confused on what version of Rio they are actually going to start selling.
The model in this thread is the one they will sell now
Old 12th January 2012, 10:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Irrespective of what some people perceive, it does look good and fit for the price quoted. I hope that it does well, for it's own sake.

And compared to silly sportz versions by so called modern and crash tested hatches available, where upgrades are limited to stickering and a new color, this does indeed have some facelifts [including how interiors look].

good luck, RiO!!
In fact in looks department, it is akin to mini Safari! If Safari looks good, so does Rio. But people vote for the apparently mighty ones :-). The only factor going against it is the poor image of Premier Group. People have not forgiven them for ditching them earlier (Fiat & Peugeot days). It is tough to put your moneyn on line when you are doubtful about future support.
ajay0612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 10:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Atleast the facelift gives Rio a breather.

In the last pic [Silver Rio], one can see bare metal in the tyre well.
Nice catch....That sure makes it look unfinished. But otherwise, its not that bad a looker. Just that its dated, and not cute. They probably are making use of some old machinery from discards to punch their metal.

In short, a worthless effort.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:23   #24
BHPian

Looks decent enough considering that there are many other ugly looking cars on Indian roads other than the Rio. I guess if Premier is able to set up a good number of A.S.S, then i don't think why the Rio wouldn't sell in good numbers in the Rural areas at least.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:42   #25
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
1.3 CRDI WOW! After Maruti then Tata and now Premier. Fiat is seriously making good money from MJD.
Well it will make that money only if Premier sells visible numbers and that somehow does not seem too likely. Fiat itself a much much bigger and better quality brand is facing issues getting the people to forget it's history in the last two decades in India and get them to move their real value for money products on the road that it is hard to envisage Premier managing to do it. The product may even be kindoff (though not really likely to be reliable or safe as per current standards) Ok but seriously how many will buy it?
Old 12th January 2012, 11:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

The main issue is the credibility of Premier and not essentially the Rio itself. Here is a businessman who just brings some parts from a Chinese manufacturer and assembles them here. There is no history of a vendor network nor R & D to talk of. Imagine if this vehicle is sitting dud in your garage due to non availablility of a critical part due to a stock out situation because it is stuck some where in transit between here and China!
Again this is the same company that launched this vehicle some time back and suddenly vanished in between since they could not comply to BS4 norms. Come on guys don't you have such basic foresight? Had certainly seen a showroom in Bangalore which disappeared faster than it actually set up. Now how do you deal with a dissappearing dealerships for God sake!

These factors being grey areas, would IMO make one highly reluctant to consider buying this vehicle-
  1. Build quality and long term durability of the vehicle
  2. A$$ and availability of parts
  3. Cost of ownership and fuel efficiency
  4. Safety features and compliance to future norms (safety + emission)

Last edited by girishglg : 12th January 2012 at 12:04.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Would we not have the photos of interiors as well please? It does appear much better compared to its predecessor but is it worth paying 7L(previous version price) would be the main question?
Have not seen a single car being sold in Bangalore though
Old 12th January 2012, 12:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand why people are getting pissed off with the car. Come on take a break. I know its not that good looking and I know its not priced that well.

But taking into consideration the changes in the looks compared to the earlier one, it shows that the company is putting some efforts to make it looks better.

And for those calling it a Juggad vehicle, I am sorry we indians love Jugaad vehicles.
Can you show me one C segment sedan (not C+) other than Verna, which is not an extended hatch. I mean we indians just love sedans so much that manufacturers extend a hatch and sell them as Sedans in India.
This atleast is far less jugaad then those stuff.

And regarding Chinese make not safe etc, oh come on grow up. China is leading the world of so many places. and it is too naive to say China has no quality. Do you know most of the Iphones are manufactured by Foxconn (not Apple) in the facility in China.
Dont stereotype China with low quality, you will end up being outdated later on. Just like how many companies in US has become now.

Bottomline: I am not an owner of Rio and not an employee of Premier. But I am sure Primier has done a good move by getting the China vehicles to India. All they need is some improvement on quality and get the cost structures correct. They have potential to grow like how Hyundai did at one time.
Take and read Economist every edition has something to talk about China
xingamazon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 16:43   #29

agreed as far as the money and the product is concerned, but on the contrary saying this aint crash tested and looks the ugliest is a bit too extreme i believe.

considering what it used to look like earlier, this one definitely looks a hell lot better, suv credentials of course cant be compared with the thorough bred suvs from other makes, but then, this aint an suv for that matter.

how maruti fares its crash tests and with all those star ratings is again similarly questionable since it is known to use the thinnest sheet of steel in the manufacturing just to save costs. remove the bumpers and one is able to see how flimsy the crash bars are, one could hit an obstacle at just a speed of 30kmph, n could rip off the complete front end.

personally, i like the new rio and feel it would sell well in the tier 2/3 cities.
aashishbc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 20:20   #30
BHPian

The new Rio looks a lot better than the previous gen. From the pics, it seems even the fit and finish has improved. Calling it not road worthy and ugliest is just going overboard with personal preferences. In fact, this looks much better than the likes of Dezire and Ritz.

The credibilty of the seller would be the key parameter against buying this car.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed