Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 00:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Premier RiO @ Auto Expo 2012

Had it been Maruti rather than Premier that had collaberated with the Chinese company and marketed this product in India, it would have sold in large numbers. Its association with Premier is what has killed this reasonable product, especially since it caters to a segment not yet explored by anyone else. Fantastic products by Fiat are still not doing the numbers because people still don't trust the brand that was once associated with Premier.
Old 16th January 2012, 02:30   #47
BHPian

To me the car looks good and if I have the National engine under the hood, I have little reason to worry.

If the basic mechanicals such an engine, gear box, steering system and suspension are sorted, which I have a feeling would be, then I am sure, this vehicle would do well. Only time will tell.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the best looking mini SUV available on Indian Roads. I would have booked it today if it was offered by some well know brand like Maruti, Tata. Why cant Maruti, Tata, Mahindra make such good small SUV for Indians?? If this kind of car they make with some good engine & VFM pricing, it will do wonders for these companies. Instead of making similar cars again & again, they should try something like this.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 12:30   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Reviving this thread to post a query for a friend. This is the email I received, which I would like answered (though some of the answers are partially available in the previous posts):
Quote:
I need your help...

Premier Ltd, earlier known as The Premier Automobiles Ltd, is into Machine Tools manufacturing, Engineering (wind turbine components etc) and the Automotive segment.

In the Automotive space Premier re-entered the passenger car market around 2009 (they had exited the market after selling Premier Padmini for a long time) with the 5-seater SUV Rio. So it is imperative for Premier to make a success of Rio as a mid-sized passenger car targeting small city families. They had tied up with Chinese firm, Zotye to manufacture Rio (Nomad, Zotye's SUV in China was basically rebranded as Rio in India). But the response to it was feeble and this year Premier introduced some changes in the car and relaunched it as Rio + at the Auto Expo.

The recently launched petrol variant is priced at Rs 4.7 L onward and the diesel models start from Rs 5.95 L. Because of BSIV emission norms the diesel Rio runs only in Tier 2 & 3 cities while the petrol variant is being targeted at customers in Tier 1 cities. Though not as powerful as other SUVs in the market, the Premier Rio's best catch is their competitive pricing. It is supposed to be the cheapest SUV in India right now.

I wanted to request you for your opinion regarding the Rio, if you could suggest some pointers to increase product popularity for the TG, tips for better product promotion vis-a-vis their competitors, increasing consumer interest etc. Also according to you which car would be their biggest competitor at this time in terms of popularity, product profile and sales, and if there is anything wrong with the Rio then WHAT is it?!!

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 14th March 2012, 22:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Reviving this thread to post a query for a friend. This is the email I received, which I would like answered (though some of the answers are partially available in the previous posts):
I wanted to request you for your opinion regarding the Rio, if you could suggest some pointers to increase product popularity for the TG, tips for better product promotion vis-a-vis their competitors, increasing consumer interest etc. Also according to you which car would be their biggest competitor at this time in terms of popularity, product profile and sales, and if there is anything wrong with the Rio then WHAT is it?!!
  • For the price of a diesel Rio and a little more, you could get a Bolero / Sumo / Xylo which is far better than Rio
  • Service Centers are sparse
  • Fit an finish below a Bolero
  • Advertisements and Marketing need improvement.
  • Outdated Chinese Design
  • No Brand Value compared to a Mahindra
Competitors:
Upcoming EcoSport
Upcoming Mini Xylo
Current breadbox Sumo
Current Bolero
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 10:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Publicize is what they should do. I dont know whether any of the general public even knows about the product. They are targeting Tier2 & 3 towns - am from such a town and there are no promotion here for this vehicle. And build a strong dealer network in Tier 2 & 3 towns. The vehicle doesnt look too bad...but trust is missing!!
Old 15th March 2012, 10:37   #52
BHPian

While it does look dated, it is not too bad either! Wonder if any BHPians bought one? would be nice to read the review!

If they do load the "National Engine of India" (as pointed earlier) the Fiat MJ engine, it should start selling more.

However as everyone has pointed out, its the trust which is missing! Doubt it they can redeem it since the only time we indians forget & forgive is in politics! For the rest, the black mark remains for life!
Old 15th March 2012, 10:47   #53
BHPian

I saw a Rio on the road day before yesterday when I was driving on Jail Road in Delhi. It looked like a test drive vehicle since it had a big sticker with the name "Premier Rio" written on the side and there were 3 people inside the car.

The car looked to me about the size of a wagon R and, IMHO, the proportions didn't look very nice. Ofcouse, a small cheap car that looks like an SUV should do well in India if only they can get their act together with respect to after sales support.

Does anyone know where is their showroom in Delhi?
Old 15th March 2012, 12:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
There are two things that Premier should do, if they want to Build their Brand image and instill confidence in the product among Indians:

1. Increase the number of service centres
2. Free Extended Warranty in the range of 4 years/100000kms
3. Ensure quality A.S.S. without customers having to advise the service advisors on what needs to be done - Do Not go the Tata way
4. Ensure high quality at the manufacturing/assembly stage (individual components like interior trim may be of not-so-great quality, but as long as they last, are well put together and don't rattle/fall apart, it shouldn't be a big problem)
5. Zero Maintenance Plan similar to the one offered by Chevrolet

This will of course be the long term and enduring solution. Short term is introduce the BS4 MJD as soon as possible, and (initially) start offering discounts. It takes time and effort to build a brand from scratch, and Premier is further burdened with a negative history to overcome.

I don't think baby steps and half measures is going to get Premier anywhere.
Old 20th March 2012, 00:20   #55
Mik
BHPian

A shot of the interior i had taken at the expo. Didn't find any dashboard pic in the first post hence attaching it.
Attached Thumbnails
Premier RiO @ Auto Expo 2012-img_3424.jpg  

Mik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 01:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, this is a car based on a 15 to 20 year old design. The facelift has helped it, but the fact that it cannot pass the latest emission norms is a concern. If this was based on the latest Daihatsu, it would not be a concern at all.

Premier has a horrid name in the market. Their past history is scary. Work on the Premier name is needed.

A.S.S is almost non existent. They will need to invest in this before selling the product. Without this commitment from the manufacturer people would be reluctant to buy it as Premier has a habit of disappearing.

Fit and finish looks a little lacking judging by photographs and what people have said about the previous model that was launched. Ensure this is up to the mark or people will only buy it if it offers remarkable VFM.

In order to increase awareness and visibility, take it on some tough off road runs and show us it is a capable SUV.

Ensure availability of spares across the country.

Figure out what market you are targeting and advertise accordingly.

Competitive pricing.

Technicians need to be trained

Competitors:

At this pricing they are enroaching on the cheapest SUV/MUV like the Bolero, Sumo et al. It is in the size region of a Ritz and yet is more expensive than cars like that. Given this and the fact that it is not a proper 4x4 it seems to be straddling, or attempting to straddle, too many different genres, that it has too many competitors and needs to be albe to hold its own against them. IIRC, it is about the size of a Wagon R or so in length, width and height. Yet it costs almost double the price of that.
Old 20th March 2012, 06:52   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I dont understand why people are getting pissed off with the car. Come on take a break. I know its not that good looking and I know its not priced that well.

But taking into consideration the changes in the looks compared to the earlier one, it shows that the company is putting some efforts to make it looks better.

And for those calling it a Juggad vehicle, I am sorry we indians love Jugaad vehicles.
Can you show me one C segment sedan (not C+) other than Verna, which is not an extended hatch. I mean we indians just love sedans so much that manufacturers extend a hatch and sell them as Sedans in India.
This atleast is far less jugaad then those stuff.

And regarding Chinese make not safe etc, oh come on grow up. China is leading the world of so many places. and it is too naive to say China has no quality. Do you know most of the Iphones are manufactured by Foxconn (not Apple) in the facility in China.
Dont stereotype China with low quality, you will end up being outdated later on. Just like how many companies in US has become now.

Bottomline: I am not an owner of Rio and not an employee of Premier. But I am sure Primier has done a good move by getting the China vehicles to India. All they need is some improvement on quality and get the cost structures correct. They have potential to grow like how Hyundai did at one time.
Take and read Economist every edition has something to talk about China
hi
boss in china market itself VAG group has taken 60% market share
and chinese brands are loosing out a average middle class chinese consumer with decent income does not even think of buying a chinese brand infact semi rich chinese consumer will only buy imported cars even though is quite expensive
narry
narry is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks