View Poll Results: Safari DICOR/ Scorpio CRDE
Tata Safari DICOR 176 56.05%
Mahinra Scorpio CRDE 138 43.95%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2006, 21:33   #151
Senior - BHPian

I've always maintained that the our indegenous SUVs are underpowered for their built and size. The older Safari was a 2.0 ltr engine for that heavy behemoth and the Scorpio is 2.6 of similar size.

Look at the Hyundai Tucson or the Nissan X-trail. For their size the engine is appropriate and not underpowered.

Why try to mate a Scorpio CRDe or a Terracan engine to a Safari Chasis? Why can't Tata give a 4.0 ltr engine with the current body? If they do so they wil have a bestseller on their hands and that will beat the all the SUVs or their clones on the road hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd
well..I was just trying to be more practical Steeroid and obviously a terracan engine would be a good option provided you can find one easily and also what about the spares whenever something conks off in future ?

With Hyundai planning an upgrade / discontinuation of the model itself, furture spares availability is a BIg question mark.

~A
Old 26th October 2006, 01:21   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
Why can't Tata give a 4.0 ltr engine with the current body?
Yeah, and a diesel/petrol pump free with every Safari!
Old 26th October 2006, 08:15   #153
Senior - BHPian

Senior Sir, When you drive a SUV then you don't look at the following:

1. The speedo & odo
2. The number of times you visit the gas station
3. The number of vehicles (read mosquitoes) you have shooed on to the pavement - read bullying

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Yeah, and a diesel/petrol pump free with every Safari!
Old 26th October 2006, 10:32   #154
BHPian

Guys,

Eversince I started reading this thread I keep watching for scorpios and safaris on the road. I've done my watching now for about 2 weeks. I'm no expert but IMHO Safari wins guys. The looks and the road presence is awesome.

The only thing bad about safari is that it is from tatas and their service and reliability is a question mark.

Imagine safari coming out of M&M or Maruti? I would definitely buy it guys.

Regards,

lsjey
Old 26th October 2006, 10:53   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey
So you think M&M quality levels are better? I wish you all the best !
Old 26th October 2006, 11:25   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey
Guys,

Eversince I started reading this thread I keep watching for scorpios and safaris on the road. I've done my watching now for about 2 weeks. I'm no expert but IMHO Safari wins guys. The looks and the road presence is awesome.

The only thing bad about safari is that it is from tatas and their service and reliability is a question mark.

Regards,

lsjey
yes, the new safari looks great. its a fortress. if only the technical aspects are something to match its looks, it would definitely be a terrific buy. But scorpio is not very far behind too.
Old 26th October 2006, 11:37   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Senior Sir, When you drive a SUV then you don't look at the following:

2. The number of times you visit the gas station

gd, what you said could be true in the global context, but may not work in india. Indian consumer psyche is quite different and the FE is of paramount when it comes to buying decision. It applies to ferrari buyer to a fiero buyer.

as a case in point, there was thread discussing why laura was doing well, one apparent reason everyone agreed was 1. it is running on diesel and 2, its fuel efficiency.

regards
tifosi.
Old 26th October 2006, 11:53   #158
BHPian

Quote:
The older Safari was a 2.0 ltr engine for that heavy behemoth and the Scorpio is 2.6 of similar size.

Look at the Hyundai Tucson or the Nissan X-trail. For their size the engine is appropriate and not underpowered.
IMO , the Scorpio crde is not underpowered, even now..115 BHP and 29 KG M of torque is not bad at all. ( and a 140 BHP engine is in the pipeline )

Nissan X trail is around 130 BHP at thrice the price and Tuscon is also 115 BHP at almost twice the price.

And all of them have a GVW af around 2000 kgs.

Last edited by w 12 : 26th October 2006 at 11:54.
Old 26th October 2006, 14:46   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
So you think M&M quality levels are better? I wish you all the best !
well mahindra has already come out with what is a safari/innova competitor and after(if iam not mistaken 4th evolution)is ahead in only engine department apart from this the big tata is way ahead in terms of stability,braking,interior space an (do not tease me on this one)there is something about it which invokes some kind of strong vehicle-owner bonding which i never felt in any other vehicles.........
fellow safari owners please leave urgent comments before someone feels iam getting mushy...
Old 26th October 2006, 15:09   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr fate
an (do not tease me on this one)there is something about it which invokes some kind of strong vehicle-owner bonding which i never felt in any other vehicles.........
Definitely agree on the bonding bit......these days, I do keep looking around for Dicor owners to share experiences (read niggles) with ; never done that with my earlier vehicles!
Old 26th October 2006, 21:14   #161
Senior - BHPian

dr Fate: no need to get embarrassed by feeling mushy 'bout your Safari. Every safari owner feels similalry. Though have recently acquired a 2004 GLx Scorpio and am driving currently, it is the Safari that brings out the beast in me.

I've given my Safari to my better half after disposing off the Esteem that she used to drive. Now, when I ask for the keys to Safari once in a while, she says - "meri gaadi ko dhyan se chalana". What a cheeky statement.

Tatas have built the Safari keeping every single driver comfort in mind. You name it and the Safari has it and most of them are electrically controlled.

I have still to fathom as to why the Mahindras didn't think of power assisted side view mirrors for the Scorpio. It is such a pain to lean across to the other side to adjust with the gear lever pricking your chest..

Quote:
well mahindra has already come out with what is a safari/innova competitor and after(if iam not mistaken 4th evolution)is ahead in only engine department apart from this the big tata is way ahead in terms of stability,braking,interior space an (do not tease me on this one)there is something about it which invokes some kind of strong vehicle-owner bonding which i never felt in any other vehicles.........
fellow safari owners please leave urgent comments before someone feels iam getting mushy...
Old 1st November 2006, 21:50   #162
BHPian

Quote:
.........fellow safari owners please leave urgent comments before someone feels iam getting mushy...
...yeah, know that feeling! And the tribe of proud and even "ferociously protective" Safari owners is increasing. Am seeing a whole lot of Safaris on the road nowadays...always toot my horn or flash my lights... there's a kind of bonding 'twixt us Safari-wallas!

The newest I know of is fellow BHPian Suman...congrats again, my man!
Old 1st November 2006, 22:02   #163
BHPian

the scorpio looks good but somehow the safari has a unique stance and looks like a proper suv from all sides,the scorpio looks a bit box type,performance,comfort and looks wise i would go for the safari.
Old 1st November 2006, 22:23   #164
BHPian

tifOsi...you have a discerning eye!
Old 1st November 2006, 22:24   #165
Senior - BHPian

My observation was made based on a case on this point that involved me. During my college days I used to ride a Bullet (1962) that I still possess. Most of the mechanical work on that I used to do it myself. After replacing rings on it I was testing the FE. Instead of doing tankfull to tankfull (didn't have much money in the pocket then.. ) I used to fill 1 ltr and drive till it went empty and then fill 1 ltr again (used to keep a 1 ltr Johnnie Walker bottle filled with petrol). Used to fill gas from the same pump everyday and after observing me for two days the attendant said and I quote - " saheb, motorcycle aapki aaur aap chahe jitna marzi tel bahrao, par bura nahin manana, ek leeter tel bharane se bullet ki beizzati hoti hai"

I rest my case in point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
gd, what you said could be true in the global context, but may not work in india. Indian consumer psyche is quite different and the FE is of paramount when it comes to buying decision. It applies to ferrari buyer to a fiero buyer.

as a case in point, there was thread discussing why laura was doing well, one apparent reason everyone agreed was 1. it is running on diesel and 2, its fuel efficiency.

regards
tifosi.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed