Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2006, 16:00   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjit
tifOsi...you have a discerning eye!
u own a safari dicor, no wonder! good choice, and by the way thanks for the compliment!
Old 6th November 2006, 19:11   #167
BHPian

Good thread....nice to see the safari still on top after 207 votes!
Old 7th November 2006, 15:30   #168
BHPian

Hi Everyone

I joined this forum just to tell you that I have had a scorpio for last 3 years now, I have driven it to Gangotri, Gandhidham and Goa all of them 2500 + KM drives. The car has never failed me, can you say the same for Safari, my brother has one and I know his car is with the dealership every 3-4 months for some repair or the other. My friend recently sold his scorpio and bought a dicor and he is already rueing the decision. It seems something or the other fails every few weeks in his elecrtical system. So build quality is out of the way now.

As far as the engine goes we all know that Scorpio is much peppier, may be with the current dicor 3.0 they are more or less at par but Scorpio is still better when it comes to initial pick up.

I agree with some of the comments here about the interiors, yes scorpio's is a bit cramped especially for my 6 ft frame. The seats mind you are pretty comfortable I did 1000 Kms in one go once.

The looks, well it is true that the beauty lies in the hands of a beer holder, so even after few beers down I find Scorpio to be a much better looking vehicle then Safari. Its sad with what they have done to the rear lights in the new one I guess even after few beers I would not like to venture at the back of one.

Bye to all
Ranc
Old 7th November 2006, 15:45   #169
Senior - BHPian

the new and improved scorpio looks great. although i still have a soft corner for the safari but in my opinion the new scorpio is better in terms of looks and finish.!
Old 7th November 2006, 20:37   #170
SUV
BHPian

Its amazing to See how Safari's are found to have so many issues, something falling off ... something broken .. etc ...

In my 8 year ownership experience of TATA, i hav'nt been to the workshop for a breakdown or failure except for this 1 time where the AC condensor unit failed due to manufacturing defect and was replaced in 4 hours ..

Is it me being lucky five times (1 Tatamobile, 1 Sierra, 2 Safari's & a Indica) in a Row, not to Say my friends who own Safari's / Indica's drive around with regular service interval's .... or is it that Non Safari Owner's have this penchant to find Safari owners who have had scores of issues...

My Indica Turbo is still going strong without any issues @ 20k Kms and retunrning an average of about 16 km/pl.

Anyway My Vote is still for TATA's .. .I havent had any service issue's till date and all problems are attended to in the shortest possible time...

I have spent more time in a TATA workshop due to a association with a close friend who happened to Own a TASS and not for getting my vehicle repaired and i have seen how people handle a Safari, the general perception is that it can go over anything and still be trouble free !!! All i can tell them is WAKE UP .....which world are you in , No Offence meant to anyone here though ..

A SUV will need more care if you actually use it as a SUV ....

My Family own's a Sonata as well ... and Yes Hyundai Service is Miles away from that of TATA .. but hey guy's TATA is a Desi Company and is offering something to Us at throw away price's ....

Can we actually see any International Manufacturer who is capable of Selling a SUV (Comparable to a Safari) @ 8 Lac's (On-Road Price) ... name one and i will vote against a Safari .....
all I want to say is when it comes to $$ and the Want of a SUV ....then you dont have much choice @ that price .... Unless you want to Settle for a Soft Roader like Innova, Scorpio as a SUV fails in Space & Handling ... But Score's in the Engine department period ...

Aamazingly Mahindra has never come out with a AD even close to what Tata's have done for the Safari TCIC / Dicor, (Unless i have missed it),
If they have not .. then Mahindra themselves are defining the fine line between a Safari and the Scorpio ....

cheers
Old 7th November 2006, 20:43   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV
Its amazing to See how Safari's are found to have so many issues, something falling off ... something broken .. etc ...
.... or is it that Non Safari Owner's have this penchant to find Safari owners who have had scores of issues...

I will not say that the Safari is trouble-free, but considering the kind of usage we have put it through I'm more than happy with the vehicle.

As for the 'other' vehicle being super reliable and having great build quality - !
Old 7th November 2006, 20:58   #172
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

I will not say that the Safari is trouble-free, but considering the kind of usage we have put it through I'm more than happy with the vehicle.

As for the 'other' vehicle being super reliable and having great build quality - !
I guess what i wanted to say was that Safari (rather TATA) does not have so many issues as [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Perceived[/SIZE][/FONT] ..And we Safari owners drive how a SUV is actually supposed to be driven ... And i hardly see Scorpio owner venture into Safari Teritory ... except on the -ve Side

PS : Steeroid, thanks for correcting me with your quote ...
Old 8th November 2006, 20:45   #173
Senior - BHPian

Having owned & driven both, my vote still goes for the Safari for its sheer road prescence & handling. Since mine is a 1998 and the Scorp a 2004, the diff is very evident as far as engine capacity and pickup goes.

But till date I've had no issues with my safari on maintainance, except that it visits the garage every 5000 kms for its service.

I've driven my safari in June'06 from gurgaon all the way to Lonavala and back without any issues. Got a mileage of 11.6 with 100% AC on. Suffered a flat enroute to Daman at Ankleshwar. That's all.

Haven't driven a DICOR, but have heard it is good. Waiting for the new 2.2 Ltr, 142 BHP Safari from the Tata stable.

Just try hooting on the safari to the car in the front and you will understand the diff between a Safari and the rest. On the meanness scale my vote first goes to Safari and then to Scorpio. rest don't come near at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV
I guess what i wanted to say was that Safari (rather TATA) does not have so many issues as [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Perceived[/SIZE][/FONT] ..And we Safari owners drive how a SUV is actually supposed to be driven ... And i hardly see Scorpio owner venture into Safari Teritory ... except on the -ve Side

PS : Steeroid, thanks for correcting me with your quote ...
Old 8th November 2006, 22:08   #174
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
Having owned & driven both .....................
Just try hooting on the safari to the car in the front and you will understand the diff between a Safari and the rest. .
Wonder will a Scorpio Owner ever get to Experience that Feeling ..... No Offence Scorp Owner's ..... Its all comes down to the choice of Personal Mobility ......
Old 9th November 2006, 00:48   #175
BHPian

Cmon people iam yet to find a similarity to compare these two!i think scorpio is strictly suited to urban jungle where it thrives,but safari and all aspects attached to it is un-comparable on highways and indian highways at that,where we are belting at insane speeds and a tractor/people/cows appear from no where and just when you think you will avoid it by hair breadth mid way down the manuver your braking point is marred by a gigantic pothole or rumble strips(on the highway!!!)thats where safari thrives,

it understands indian roads better then any vehicle i have seen made in india.

and one mention has to be made about its long time owners,

whenever i buy a car first few days fellow brand owner's size your car against thier's and give a "mine is better then yours"glance,

not so with my safari brothers whenever i go out irrespective they always give a broad smile and an occasional thumbs up,and when stationary no introduction required here sukh-dukh baatna shuruu!!!

now is that a common feature with other's folks.......
Old 9th November 2006, 22:52   #176
Senior - BHPian

Nothing beats bikers smiling at you cautiously at jams and asking, "Sir, what's the mileage?"
Old 10th November 2006, 11:20   #177
Senior - BHPian

Also, nothing beats tapping a biker (needlessly weaving left & right in bumper to bumper traffic & then stopping suddenly) very gently from behind & then giving him an apologetic smile from high up on your perch

Last edited by suman : 10th November 2006 at 11:21.
Old 10th November 2006, 12:26   #178
BHPian

Style, Looks and finish - Scorpio
Engine - Scorpio
Handling - Safari
Braking - Safari
Backseat Comfort - Safari
Spacious - Scorpio
Street Presence - Scorpio
Service - Scorpio
Less Spare part cost - Scorpio
Resale Value - Scorpio
City Cruising - Scorpio
Build Quality - Scorpio

My vote goes for Scorpio
Old 10th December 2006, 11:54   #179

When one buys a vehicle, one wants clean lines and smooth shape. The Scorpio looks like someone squeeses it from the back and turned it square. It could have been made slightly longer and more pleasing. Ideal veh would be Scorp engine + tavera looks & interiors+ safari height & space.
But we cannot have it all in one, so we have three different incomplete models with which everyone is dissatisfied.
Well, we aim for perfection and hope we find it one day...
Old 10th December 2006, 16:03   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari dude View Post
When one buys a vehicle, one wants clean lines and smooth shape. The Scorpio looks like someone squeeses it from the back and turned it square. It could have been made slightly longer and more pleasing. Ideal veh would be Scorp engine + tavera looks & interiors+ safari height & space.
But we cannot have it all in one, so we have three different incomplete models with which everyone is dissatisfied.
Well, we aim for perfection and hope we find it one day...

I agree..Scorpio I would not rate high on looks. Practically all other comparable vehicles have clean lines and better looks. Scorpio has so many curves, dents, lines etc., it is a bit tacky... I guess different stuff for different folks... in a way the older scorpios look better without the tail lights incorporated in a not so nice way in the rear..

For a vehicle of its size, if you look sideways the front door looks so small and the rear door even cuts through the rear wheel curve...

Hope in the next avatar they would take out these lines/curves and make it more clean, like Innova or even Sumo..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks