View Poll Results: Safari DICOR/ Scorpio CRDE
Tata Safari DICOR 176 56.05%
Mahinra Scorpio CRDE 138 43.95%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2006, 11:44   #16
Team-BHP Support

If only the scorpio had more space I would have voted for it.
Safari wins in : Comfort, interior space, looks
Scorpio wins in everything else, maybe handling too with the new suspension!
Old 20th March 2006, 17:50   #17
BHPian

It really depends on the purpose of buying the vehicle..

I vote for Dicor, any day..
A car is not just an engine.. Safari wins on everything except engine.. even on that front it beats Scorpio on the highways, maybe not in city..

Steeroid, where art thou???
Old 20th March 2006, 18:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

WOW... Steer's keeeping wuiet thru all this ... Lul before the storm...???uh??
Old 20th March 2006, 18:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

the scorpio anyday.........
Old 20th March 2006, 19:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

[SIZE=2]The recently revamped Scorpio any day. The Safari simply fails in the looks department for me. It simply does not cut it any more. The shape looks like something from the early 1990s. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The Scorpio looks very good. I have driven the old version and I enjoyed driving it more than the old Safari. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]When I get time I am going to test the new Scorpio and the Dicor.[/SIZE]
Old 20th March 2006, 19:17   #21
Team-BHP Support

haa haa haaaa... I have feeling that KB100 is actually rearing Steer to have a go at this thread
Old 20th March 2006, 19:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

@nitinbhag: not true; the scorpio is faster than the safari by a good margin, even on the highways; i have pushed the crde to well over 160 kmph (speedo-read; and don't ask how i felt at that speed), whereas the new DICOR struggles to do 150.

IF, after testing the new scorpio myself, i find that the rear legroom has improved with the sliding seats and the handling and braking flaws have been truly exorcised, then....no doubt, it would be the scorpio for me....after having owned and maintained a safari, i know that it's a white elephant; great car, good looks, blah blah blah...but even though my wheels were EXTREMELY reliable, i hated the rattles and squeaks, which seemed to be absent in a similarly driven, equal kms-old scorpio....
Old 21st March 2006, 11:35   #23
BHPian

Driven both the Safari Dicor and the Scorpio CRDE, I liked CRDE for better driveability in the city. There is not much difference in the ride quality.

However the Safari handles better at higher speeds on freeways. But how often do you venture out on freeways, and even then you've got to be careful coz, some cattle, bicycle or lorries can enter the road without even bothering to check the right-of-way (speaking of which, there is no such thing in India atleast..)

So i'll stick to the Scorpio CRDE, IMO the baby seats in the Scorpio are much more functional and useful than the baby seats in the Safari.
Old 21st March 2006, 13:25   #24
BHPian

@Veyron1- I did not mean top speed. Dicor is ECU restricted to 140.. I have done 135 and it feels rock solid. And on our highways, it doesnt really matter in my opinion. Anything beyond 120 is foolhardy. In terms of how you get to 130 - the Dicor matches/exceeds Scorpio..

That said, all of these are just opinions till one actually test drives the new Scorpio..
Old 21st March 2006, 16:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

@man23ish: i agree- the scorpio edges out the safari only in terms of practicality. the ride and handling of the DICOR is far better...

@nitinbhag: if accelerated from standstill, the scorpio would leave the safari behind, but if accelerated from highway speeds, say, above 100-110 kmph, then there's nothing much to differentiate between the two. although safari has almost 22nm more torque, (scorpio-28.3 kgm=277.6 nm; safari-300nm) the power band, turbo-lag and gearing numbs the advantage. as for the top speed, i myself have taken the DICOR to about 145-150. the tata engineers told me that the ECU has been deliberately restricted at about 145. if only tata would pay heed to the car's dynamics and improve upon it; the DICOR is an excellent platform; tata's build quality makes the safari lose a battle that it should have won by default...

as for the new scorpio...well, just drove it today. shall post a review and pics if you guys want me to...but to sum up a thousand words....not much has changed.
Old 21st March 2006, 16:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
as for the new scorpio...well, just drove it today. shall post a review and pics if you guys want me to...but to sum up a thousand words....not much has changed.
Do tell us......
Old 23rd March 2006, 15:35   #27
BHPian

definitely the safari for me. If i am looking to buy a car that size, its got to have loads of space inside...to really let people stretch and provide a feeling of spaciousness. not like the scorpio which looks all bulky and huge but it is surprisingly cramped inside.
Old 24th March 2006, 12:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

this poll shows the trend of the team-bhpians

even though safari is more expensive, more heavy and scorpio is equally competitive many have voted for safari.

While safari DICOR is not much discussed compared to scorpio CRDE many still like it more.
Old 24th March 2006, 12:14   #29
BHPian

Verdict please on the "all new scorpio",is the suspension better,roll?
Old 24th March 2006, 13:01   #30
Team-BHP Support

Actually the scorpio suffers from 2 problems
1. Suv should mean lots of space to spread out. It failes there. A cramped SuV is no no. With this issue solved, safari cannot touch the scorpio. The common man cares more about spacious SuV than the handling effect(which has apparently improved)
2. Butch looks. This has been solved to quite and extent and now Scorpio matches Safari in its looks.

If M&M could increase the interior space of the scorpio and retain the performance, it will become a best seller.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks