Mahinra Scorpio CRDE 138 43.95%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2007, 23:03   #226
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biswajit View Post
Gear was falling properly while engine was on, taken vehicle for a checkup @Dehradun's Tata dealer they promptly attended it found Clatch plate burnt. They replaced that without any charge, since the vehicle was within waranty.

i did a trip of 3000 km non stop in my scorpio...didnt even had single problem...nor i had it till now......i love my beast....

Last edited by zenopio : 22nd June 2007 at 23:05.
Old 23rd June 2007, 10:46   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
i did a trip of 3000 km non stop in my scorpio...didnt even had single problem...nor i had it till now......i love my beast....
This is exactly what I wanted to say, I drove my scorpio for close to 60000Km and not even a single problem but people with even brand new safaris are happy that they got good service from a Dehradun dealer who changed the clutch plate for free. Guys wisen up you have gone for a vacation and its pathetic that while on a vacation you have to give your brand new car for a day for repairs, you have to run around find the dealer, leave your car, take local ricks and move around, why go through all that trouble when you have better alternatives and all this just for the sake of non existent snob value.
Old 23rd June 2007, 10:59   #228
Senior - BHPian

Hey ranc, just because some safaris are having issues doesn't mean they are all bad. Im really happy with mine. I've seen many scorpios having issues as well. So lets just leave it at that.

The scorpio and safari are totally different segments if you take space into account. I wanted interior space and comfort, and I have got that in the safari. And about snob value, i think both the scorpio and safari command a good amount of respect on the road.

Drifter
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:07   #229
Senior - BHPian

Out of the Safari and the Scorpio i would choose none Too slow both of them are around corners and straight line too
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:25   #230
Senior - BHPian

Having driven both these vehicles, I found both these cars to be equally good in their own respective ways.

SAFARI - space, Airconditioning, Huge everything , Ipersonally feel it is the better looking of the 2 .

SCORPIO - Huge Car, Cramped rear Seat, Refined engine than the Safari, It is a better self-driven vehicle I feel.

The best thing about both these cars is the way it is priced, both are excellent VFM & amazing Road presence, I will never play dodge me games with a Scorpio or a Safari, I will always let them pass. Bonus points for people who have these cars with a 'Laal Batti' & a Animal Flag ( Netas dog,cat,mouse or whatever election symbol ), Noone messes with them. I am still waiting for the day when my family allows me to buy such a car, till then it is Accent or good ole santro for me.
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:26   #231
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
This is exactly what I wanted to say, I drove my scorpio for close to 60000Km and not even a single problem but people with even brand new safaris are happy that they got good service from a Dehradun dealer who changed the clutch plate for free. Guys wisen up you have gone for a vacation and its pathetic that while on a vacation you have to give your brand new car for a day for repairs, you have to run around find the dealer, leave your car, take local ricks and move around, why go through all that trouble when you have better alternatives and all this just for the sake of non existent snob value.

Aah, but guys he has a point there. The last thing you want on a vacation (and that too with the family) is to give your vehicle to a local dealer for fixing. If a vehicle is not going to be that dependable then whats the point of having it.

I know that there are a few bad apples with every manufacturer, but come to think of it I've been reading a lot of reviews on tbhp and have come across umpteen reviews where many members swear by their safari and wouldnt trade it at all - BUT they also cant help but mention those NIGGLING problems inherent with TATA cars!

Now it may be a game of numbers, since there may be more Safari enthusiasts present on this channel than for the Scorpio. Even then the fact remains that there ARE niggling issues.

Furthermore (I hate to make my post so long, so one last point), everyone just keeps talking on and on about the space offered etc. Frankly there may be many other chaps like me who may not give to many points to the space at all. Frankly in a country like India (with a crunch on space) the last thing one needs is to ride an elephant along crowded city roads as well as crowded highways. What I would like in an SUV IMHO would be a capable off-roader which is compact yet powerful and definitely dependable.
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:37   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I would like in an SUV IMHO would be a capable off-roader which is compact yet powerful and definitely dependable.
Hyundai Tucson is what you need.

Quote:
I will never play dodge me games with a Scorpio or a Safari, I will always let them pass. Bonus points for people who have these cars with a 'Laal Batti' & a Animal Flag ( Netas dog,cat,mouse or whatever election symbol ), Noone messes with them. I am still waiting for the day when my family allows me to buy such a car, till then it is Accent or good ole santro for me.
Tell you honestly the Scorpio is sucide above 100kmph and Safari takes alot of time reaching speeds excess of 100kmph so your first point wont come true as they will be too far in your ORVM's to let them pass and your second point is true when they are far you wont mess with them.

Till now both the Safari and the Scorpio are half hearted efforts, Safari needs a more powerful engine, the Scorpio needs a better rear suspension and surely better handling.
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:43   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Some cars have issues. Sam's Verna is giving him trouble - this is from a company which has its products rated higher than Toyota recently. Are we going to paint all of Hyundai black because of that? There have been Innovas that have had pump failures and the like - does that mean Toyota is a dud? Not to speak of Scorpios.

There are several owners here who have taken their vehicles on long vacations without any hassles. There was also the report on the handicapped army officer who took his 2.0 TCIC to the highest motorable point in the world - I dont remember him having had a breakdown. Besides, if the vehicle were indeed so unreliable would a paraplegic have selected it for his journey at all?

Else we can go into the number of Safaris that have visited service stations while on vacations and number of Scorpios that have toppled over on vacation. Not to speak of packed up differentials, blown engines and what not.

I have personally been responsible to a large extent for the open approach of Dicor owners to their issues. We do not bury issues here - we discuss them. We do not gloss over issues just to be able to say that we have driven a few thousand kilometers without any trouble. Issues are part of a car ownership experience, especially when you take a truck and throw it around without a care like most of us do.

It is well known that initial 3rd party component issues exist in a few Safaris. However there have been very few core issues with the car as such. While this is not an excuse, this is a fact that is made known to people before they go in for this vehicle - at least here on this forum.

We take pride in keeping an open house on the Safari here - it would have been rather easy to maintain a sheen of reliability here while discussing issues elsewhere in model-specific fora like many other owner groups prefer to.

I understand you have strong feelings about the Scorpio. So be it - to each his own. However, its another matter altogether to ask another group of owners to 'get real' - there is an invisible line that we do not cross while talking about each other's vehicles and it is expected that most members respect that. Many of us have rather strong views on Scorpios and the normal behaviour of their drivers on the road - if its open season you want then it cannot be accomodated within the confines of this forum. Therefore there is no point in pushing your views beyond a certain limit here.

I suggest we all leave this discussion here.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd June 2007 at 11:45.
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:53   #234
Senior - BHPian

SCORPIO would be my choice.....already have one, but planning to buy the all new crde version...my 2003 scorpio 2.6dx still delivers...136 to 140 kmph top speed....11.58kmpl on highways.....10.86kmpl on city roads and 10.24kmpl on hill terrain...and ....had a couple of mid level accidents but only VERY MINIMAL DAMAGE to my ride....once an indica's front (bonnet, radiator, suspension , lights) got TOTALLED after that stupid rammed the car to my rides back.......damages to my ride were only a couple of holes in the rear bumper, exhaust bend, spare wheel assembly broken...thats it..
man ....the ride is surely safe because of the heavy metal under the bumpers and the rigid body... scorpio rules
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:59   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
SCORPIO would be my choice.....already have one, but planning to buy the all new crde version...my 2003 scorpio 2.6dx still delivers...136 to 140 kmph top speed....11.58kmpl on highways.....10.86kmpl on city roads and 10.24kmpl on hill terrain...and ....had a couple of mid level accidents but only VERY MINIMAL DAMAGE to my ride....once an indica's front (bonnet, radiator, suspension , lights) got TOTALLED after that stupid rammed the car to my rides back.......damages to my ride were only a couple of holes in the rear bumper, exhaust bend, spare wheel assembly broken...thats it..
man ....the ride is surely safe because of the heavy metal under the bumpers and the rigid body... scorpio rules
I think the only way to close this discussion would be to ram the two beasts head on and see who wins
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:04   #236
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
I think the only way to close this discussion would be to ram the two beasts head on and see who wins

ha ha ha .... thats a good one Pogu! I guess that'll rest the case in the end.
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:11   #237
BHPian

out of the two, id choose the safari. the scorpio is just scary at 120+kmph and passengers in the rear seat bounce all over the place.

the safari handling is not that great either, can we buy coilovers or something and install it to improve the handling?
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:17   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
LOL . There you go, debate solved, Now no one will argue, which is the better one. Who is financing the vehicles and better who is going to actually drive these cars when the head-on happens. ??
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:23   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
LOL . There you go, debate solved, Now no one will argue, which is the better one. Who is financing the vehicles and better who is going to actually drive these cars when the head-on happens. ??
For Safari driver; my vote is for steer
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:28   #240
Senior - BHPian

@ Pogu Singh - You sure he will go ahead !! Plenty of Safari People here at t-bhp.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks