Mahinra Scorpio CRDE 138 43.95%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:35   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
@ Pogu Singh - You sure he will go ahead !! Plenty of Safari People here at t-bhp.
I am sure he will go ahead; but of course in somebody else's safari
May be Godfather can volunteer here

BTW; sorry for leading this thread OT

Last edited by pogusingh : 23rd June 2007 at 12:37.
Old 23rd June 2007, 13:46   #242

Scorpio vs Safari

Just for the record, I respect each person's views. Isn't that why markets offer all those choices, logical or not??!!
My vote is for the Scorpio. In my younger days, when I went touring our himalayas to the remotest and most desolate places at that time, and RELIABILITY was my paramount concern, I did my trips in a Gypsy (those were the days of the Armada from the house of Mahindra).
Same man, a little older now and with less frequent trips but much the same thinking, I 'compromised' and bought a 4WD Scorpio.
It is by a process of elimination that I chose this vehicle - primary was budget. Only the Scorpio and the Safari were contenders. If reliabilty was high on the agenda, it would have to be a Mahindra. Small differences here and there and even big differences on things like 'space' meant little for me.
With limited usage yet of my Scorpio, one thing is already clear to me. It's abilities come nowhere close to those of a Gypsy. But now my life includes other 'imperatives' like comfort, larger size (only vis-a-viv Gypsy), availability of service in the remote areas of our mountains (including ex-stock spares for the vehicle), etc...
All the feedback I sought honestly from owners of the 2 vehicles finally narrowed it down to no choice at all - I HAD to buy the 4WD Scorpio, in a one-horse race!!!
Old 23rd June 2007, 15:16   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
IMay be Godfather can volunteer here
I am not commenting on this issue.. Makes no sense..
No car is worth all this...
I totally agree with Steer.. We dont hide the issues and praise the safari..
We are really very open about the problems we get.. and we work to solve them instead of cribbing and cursing the vehicle and comparing it with other SUV's.. You like the Scorpio.. your choice.. I love the Safari.. My Choice.. No one has a say in it..

Godfather
Old 23rd June 2007, 15:45   #244
BHPian

I agree with Godfather.

But I think there are opinions( which are specific to each individual ) and then there is a truth. We all can feel different about different things but end of the day their must be a scientific( unbiased) way of finding which is better over the other.

If there are x,y,z... parameters that define the attributes of a vehicle and have weights w1,w2,w3 associated with them( defining the relative importance ); then sure there would be a formula which shall define only one winner.

Although this thread just seems to be doing a see-saw between opinions/experiences( and this is what is flavour of TBHP) but it is not defining a conclusion. Everybody has a feel/opinion and that has to be respected by the other. There are no two ways about it but may be we can look it from a different point of view as mentioned above.

What is other people opinion on this?

-POGU
Old 23rd June 2007, 17:55   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
1. and we work to solve them instead of cribbing and cursing the vehicle and comparing it with other SUV's..

2. You like the Scorpio.. your choice.. I love the Safari.. My Choice..

3. No one has a say in it..

Godfather
1. This is what you said in the other thread about scorpio ,http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...tml#post476328,
"Go at 40 Kmph and this is like a Tank.. Go faster and it will turn Turtle before you can say SAFE." and now you are saying you will not compare your ride with other suvs and crib. Do make up your mind before you write and start practicing what you preach.

2. True for you and true for others as well. So stop making statements like Scorpio will topple at 40 kmph.

3. Neither do you on others preferences.
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:20   #246
Senior - BHPian

OK, no thread on Safaris would be complete without my two paise so here goes......I think I would agree with Sumit & Steer that we have enough honest feedback from ALL Safari owners on this forum about our ownership experience. Which is more than I can say for our Scorpio owner friends who keep giving one-liners about how great the Scorpio is - period! Tifosikrishna was the only one who regularly provided us with updates & I haven't heard from him in a while.

What I'm saying is that our feedback makes it clear to all & sundry what the pros & cons of owning a Safari are........there are no secrets, nor can one dispute the fact that the pros are more than the cons.

Of course, sharing our ownership experiences doesn't make the Safari better than the Scorpio - that it is, by itself the better of the two (in case its still not clear - I voted for the Safari ).

In the meantime, cheers & keep the opinions flowing in gentlemen..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Guys wisen up you have gone for a vacation and its pathetic that while on a vacation you have to give your brand new car for a day for repairs, you have to run around find the dealer, leave your car, take local ricks and move around,
Come on mate, that's surely an exaggeration......and a generalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Plenty of Safari taxis in Punjab. Even small places like Bara Pind near Goraya has a couple of Safari Taxis.
Assuming there are, so.....????

Last edited by suman : 23rd June 2007 at 18:27.
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:46   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
1.What I'm saying is that our feedback makes it clear to all & sundry what the pros & cons of owning a Safari are........

2.there are no secrets, nor can one dispute the fact that the pros are more than the cons.

3.Assuming there are, so.....????
1.By all means Keep the + ve information flowing which will help the prospective customers chose what they want but I am against speading misinformation against scorpio or any other vehicle, e.g. it will topple at 40 KMPH, before you can say safe. now that is a bit toomuch.

2. Agreed . Let the buyer decide what is pro for him and what is con. Hearsay and misinformation on vehicles one does not own / know is not required.

3. assuming there are , it punctures the priginal posters assumption that Safari has more snob value , as there are no yellow board safaris , unlike scorpios. IMO you will find all models with yellow boards in India, scorpio, safari, innova even merc, that neither adds nor subtracts from the value of a car.
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:07   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
"Go at 40 Kmph and this is like a Tank.. Go faster and it will turn Turtle before you can say SAFE." and now you are saying you will not compare your ride with other suvs and crib. Do make up your mind before you write and start practicing what you preach.
Jeez bro.. That was just a statement.. Not to be taken seriously..

Here you go..
I Sincerely Apologise to any Scorpio owner if the above statement made by me in some other thread has caused any offence or in any way hurt their sentiments..

PS: Please dont hold on to a point (like in the last 2 posts of yours) and crib for the rest of your life..
Move on!!

Godfather
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:48   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. True for you and true for others as well. So stop making statements like Scorpio will topple at 40 kmph.
I've seen this happen with my own eyes. The Lotus-suspension version, nothing less. Now whatcha gonna do about that?!
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:52   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Jeez bro.. That was just a statement.. Not to be taken seriously..
Bro..I didnt know you just make statements which are not to be taken seriously. Now that I know , what is there to crib ?

anyways , peace.
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:54   #251
Team-BHP Support

regarding the topple issue, both are SUV's and will topple if you do stunts or idiotic moves!! higher C of G !!! thats all!!
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:57   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I've seen this happen with my own eyes. The Lotus-suspension version, nothing less. Now whatcha gonna do about that?!
Nothing, except hope and pray that you have a safe drive always in all your cars all the time..and your scorpio does not topple at40.1 , 39.9 or 39.8 kmph next time
Old 23rd June 2007, 20:09   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Plenty of Safari taxis in Punjab. Even small places like Bara Pind near Goraya has a couple of Safari Taxis.

Plenty of Scorpio Taxis as well.
will you mind showing me i haven't seen one and i have traveled all around punjab

in my pind (village) we people still consider a safari a status symbol and scorpio i no way near the respect the safari has in punjab

and i have friend who have bought scorpios and then sold them and got a safari
Old 23rd June 2007, 20:15   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing, except hope and pray that you have a safe drive always in all your cars all the time..and your scorpio does not topple at40.1 , 39.9 or 39.8 kmph next time
i have a friend who had just bought a new scorpio and he was going around 40 45 and he turned and the car toppled and he was badly injured

he couldn't explain how but he says he took a turn and the next thing he knew is the car is lying on its side

Last edited by manikjeet : 23rd June 2007 at 20:22.
Old 23rd June 2007, 20:18   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
i have a friend who had just bought a new scorpio and he was going around and 40 45 and he turned and the car toppled and he was badly injured

he couldn't explain how but he says he took a turn and the next thing he know is the car is lying on its side

@w 12.. I rest my case.

Godfather
Closed Thread

Most Viewed