Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2012, 19:52   #136
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
I am already dreaming of laying hands on Duster and the first thing I would want to do is upgrade the wheels a notch right when it is taken out of the dealership. Dream on...
Something like this?
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-e9106d1afdc4.jpg
Or maybe this?
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-daciadustersuvbyeibachandgiacuzzofrontangleview575x380453x300.jpg

(PS: Both the pics taken from internet.)
Old 11th February 2012, 20:01   #137
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Here's a link to Dacia version Duster's interiors & exterior pics.
Dacia Duster taillight - DACIA Duster Test Drive - Photo Gallery - autoevolution

It has the older interiors as against the Indian version that is expected to get the revised (better) interiors as for the Argentinian & Russian versions
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 23:10   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Here's a link to Dacia version Duster's interiors & exterior pics.
Dacia Duster taillight - DACIA Duster Test Drive - Photo Gallery - autoevolution

It has the older interiors as against the Indian version that is expected to get the revised (better) interiors as for the Argentinian & Russian versions
Thanks Rigid Rotor for sharing the link. The same site has a 3D panoramic view of the interiors of the Duster --> DACIA Duster 3D Interior Panorama - autoevolution
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 00:41   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Something like this?
Attachment 886102
Those are too tough for Duster. More suitable for Mahindra CJ3B or such vehicles made for serious off roading.

Quote:

Or maybe this?
Attachment 886103
This one looks a little over the top.

I have seen some cool wheels on Audis. Will post a picture tomorrow if I can find one. Or maybe something like deep fish design could suit for my taste.
Old 12th February 2012, 08:53   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
.. The same site has a 3D panoramic view of the interiors of the Duster --> DACIA Duster 3D Interior Panorama - autoevolution
Thank You for pointing out the Panaroma view!
The interiors appear quite spacious - on the lines of the Logan
The thick C pillars are very likely to restrict visibility to the rear.
However the rear seat headrests appear to be aligned with the C pillar blind spots - at least that's how it appears from the camera angle. So there may be some optimisation there.
The rather small rear glass makes the case for a reverse-sensor!
Old 12th February 2012, 11:40   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh
Those are too tough for Duster. More suitable for Mahindra CJ3B or such vehicles made for serious off roading.
I think some of the video links posted on this thread suggest that the Duster is pretty good for off- roading! Though probably, very few of us would buy it for that purpose I guess.
Old 12th February 2012, 12:23   #142
BHPian

Quote:
If 9L and 11L resp. are OTR Banglore, then for Maharashtra it should be down by 1.5 L I believe. That brings it to around 7.5L/9.5 L for Petrol/Diesel.

Still I feel it is a bit on the higher side.
Why consider a 11 lac price tag high when even diesel hatchbacks don't come for less than 8.25 today? A 63 BHP Fiesta without even ABS costs at least 8L in Bangalore.

Our Indian UV-starved community badly needs an alternative to the Safari/Scorpio at meaningful prices (~10 lac), and even at the estimated price point of 11 lac, the Duster could be attractive as long as it comes with basic safety equipment.

Personally, I think it'd be premature to speculate on its pricing characteristics (VFM or not) until information on equipment and specs becomes reasonably certain.
skandyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 16:10   #143
BHPian

Quote:
This one looks a little over the top.
I have seen some cool wheels on Audis. Will post a picture tomorrow if I can find one. Or maybe something like deep fish design could suit for my taste.
I have seen quite a few videos (including a few available on BHP) of duster off-roading and quite serious stuff at it, so dont think it is really overboard, but yes, personal choice does matter!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Why consider a 11 lac price tag high when even diesel hatchbacks don't come for less than 8.25 today? A 63 BHP Fiesta without even ABS costs at least 8L in Bangalore.
Our Indian UV-starved community badly needs an alternative to the Safari/Scorpio at meaningful prices (~10 lac), and even at the estimated price point of 11 lac, the Duster could be attractive as long as it comes with basic safety equipment.
Personally, I think it'd be premature to speculate on its pricing characteristics (VFM or not) until information on equipment and specs becomes reasonably certain.
+1 to your thoughts of speculations, but dont know why, the "world's cheapest SUV" tage does not fade away from my mind. So I find the pricing a bit high (only if it is 11L OTR for base model). Anyways, prices in Banglore are always higher than any other state I believe.

Whatever it is, I am almost sold for Duster, unless Renault makes any obvious stupidity with it.
Old 12th February 2012, 19:48   #144
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen quite a few videos (including a few available on BHP) of duster off-roading and quite serious stuff at it, so dont think it is really overboard, but yes, personal choice does matter!!!
Nah, you didn't get me there. I have no doubts on the offroading capabilities of Duster. As a matter of fact, we would all be pleasantly surprised with what we have seen in the videos and what we would have read from the reviews from countries where Duster is doing really good numbers.

These particular set of wheels look too serious and look all set for offroading. My personal choice is for a set of wheels that would look urban which would look good while I drive in the city and at the same time don't compromise anything while going on long drives. So, I don't want serious set of wheels and neither do I want bling-bling ones (the ones rappers have on their Cadillacs). Deep dish might do the trick for me.

There is a separate thread on the forum dedicated to wheels. And I drool on them.
Old 12th February 2012, 20:59   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Nah, you didn't get me there. I have no doubts on the offroading capabilities of Duster. As a matter of fact, we would all be pleasantly surprised with what we have seen in the videos and what we would have read from the reviews from countries where Duster is doing really good numbers.
These particular set of wheels look too serious and look all set for offroading. My personal choice is for a set of wheels that would look urban which would look good while I drive in the city and at the same time don't compromise anything while going on long drives. So, I don't want serious set of wheels and neither do I want bling-bling ones (the ones rappers have on their Cadillacs). Deep dish might do the trick for me.
There is a separate thread on the forum dedicated to wheels. And I drool on them.
Let me try it once again then!!

Maybe these??

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-nissanduster.jpg
Old 13th February 2012, 11:21   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post

+10 to that..If XUV gets 25000 bookings as soon as mahindra reopens them, i'm sure the Duster will sell at 11+ lakhs if its providing VFM without compromising on quality. I don't want an SUV thats an alternative to sedan and i don't want Renault to go that way in terms of pricing. It makes more sense to have an SUV that does what an SUV is supposed to do even if that slots it higher to the sedans. If it competes with the Safari's and scorpios like you said, i think Tata's & Mahindra's have a fight on their hands. Renault need not try to get too far away from them. There is enough room in the market and am sure people are waiting for an decent alternative to the aging war-horses from the domestic manufacturers.

And the papers are already talking about a spectacular growth in the SUV market - Small car loses appeal with market share dipping below 50%, SUVs surge - The Times of India

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 13th February 2012 at 11:22.
Old 13th February 2012, 11:50   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417

+10 to that..If XUV gets 25000 bookings as soon as mahindra reopens them, i'm sure the Duster will sell at 11+ lakhs[/url]
Let's not forget that M&m has already proved itself in the Indian Market. Their scorpios and boleros have such a huge following that clearly shows in the booking no's of XUV 5OO. This is something Renault has to work on considering the fact that the Logan didnt actually set charts on fire though it did find place in the taxi fleet.
I just wish buyers dont discard it due to brand name.
Old 13th February 2012, 14:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Let's not forget that M&m has already proved itself in the Indian Market. Their scorpios and boleros have such a huge following that clearly shows in the booking no's of XUV 5OO. This is something Renault has to work on considering the fact that the Logan didnt actually set charts on fire though it did find place in the taxi fleet.
True. And which is exactly why the Duster needs to do everything right. Pricing, features, reliability, after sales & capabilities. XUV would have been a seller coming from any manufacturer given its prices vs. features but its turned a best seller cause its a Mahindra. But am sure that the Indian SUV customer is willing to try newer manufacturers as long as they just don't bank on their global brand name and back that up with on-the-ground realities in India.
Old 13th February 2012, 14:33   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
+10 to that..If XUV gets 25000 bookings as soon as mahindra reopens them, i'm sure the Duster will sell at 11+ lakhs if its providing VFM without compromising on quality. I
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
True. And which is exactly why the Duster needs to do everything right. Pricing, features, reliability, after sales & capabilities. XUV would have been a seller coming from any manufacturer given its prices vs. features but its turned a best seller cause its a Mahindra. But am sure that the Indian SUV customer is willing to try newer manufacturers as long as they just don't bank on their global brand name and back that up with on-the-ground realities in India.
It will ultimately boil down to the price, despite so many niggles in the XUV5OO M&M manages to ride the wave on the strength of the looks and price (where Aria failed). Renault will have to be ready with a lucritive price point and a plan to enhance its network.

I for one am eagerly waiting for the reviews on the lot 2 of XUV's and the launch of the Duster to take a final call.
Old 13th February 2012, 14:43   #150
BHPian

As long as Duster's mechanicals/drive train are well sorted (remember we don't have something as basic as this in our Indian SUVs) and Renault's after-sales service is at least average (both in quality and cost), Duster could possibly still survive an overpricing mistake from Renault.

I think the whole Duster excitement is about the possibility of finally being able to enjoy an all-new, good looking big fella who drives better than what we've seen in this segment and at a cost that isn't outrageous.

Simple small expectations in life, but well, you never know how long the wait can be!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed