Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 18:58   #1591
BHPian

Re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 L

I don't think Duster is designed to be a snob value product, and with its production quality it will be difficult to pull that pretense off. Those looking for 'snob value' will not go for the Duster. Its not priced at a premium or positioned as a 'snob value' product in any country launched so far, and there is a reason for that.

I suggest folks visit the showroom and have a good look at the car before declaring 'value for money'. You are operating under current expectations of what a car should be and car manufacturers in India have made great strides compared to just 5 years ago.

People looking for basic cars and willing to overlook quality, safety, legroom, interiors will not be spending 10 lakhs plus.

What value pricing does is allows one to overlook these shortcomings. Both the RXL 85 with safety gear and RXL 110 are too close to XUV. And the XUV offers tremendous value in nearly every aspect over the Duster. Renault is 50k off here, and numbers after the initial hype dies down will be telling, so this may be a missed opportunity.

This is a volume car, and should be priced as such, let Yeti and Koleos who can at least carry off the 'snob value' with some justification focus on the premium end. And even there unless people see value they don't go for it hence the numbers.

Last edited by raul : 4th July 2012 at 19:08.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 18:59   #1592
BANNED

Re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 L

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhatesmyguts View Post
Can someone specify details of the Option pack ?? This wouldn't be a dealer end option pack would it ??
In option pack you will get all those what is mentioned as Optional in RxL variant. Such as :

1. Dual Front Air Bags
2. ABS+EBD+Brake Assist
3. Driver Seat Belt Reminder
4. Reverse Parking Sensor
5. Sporty Aluminium Alloy Wheels

The additional Cost for option pack is Rs. 1,00,000/- for RxL Model.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:11   #1593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
In option pack you will get all those what is mentioned as Optional in RxL variant. Such as :

1. Dual Front Air Bags
2. ABS+EBD+Brake Assist
3. Driver Seat Belt Reminder
4. Reverse Parking Sensor
5. Sporty Aluminium Alloy Wheels

The additional Cost for option pack is Rs. 1,00,000/- for RxL Model.
Can we choose few of them from the list or we need to take the entire option pack?
Old 4th July 2012, 19:13   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
What is the OTR price of 85PS RXL with Option pack in Chennai? And also what is the OTR price of the topend RxZ and RxZ with Option pack?
85 PS RXL(O) = 1221113 = 110 PS RXL
RXZ = 1341724
RXZ(O) = 1377907
thalavoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 19:20   #1595
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Can we choose few of them from the list or we need to take the entire option pack?
Asdon, as far I see on Renault site, it looks like you have to take the whole pack and can't choose. Regarding this, I'll talk to Dealer in Bangalore when I'll visit them on Sunday to have a look on the vehicle.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:23   #1596
BHPian

Just took the test drive at Renault Whitefield, Bangalore. TD limited to service road stretch up to VW showroom and return. First thoughts Exteriors : A tad shorter than I imagined. Looks wider though. Interiors: No cockpit feel there like civic or even like XUV. So much of hard plastics in dashboards and around. very functional looking. No sense of richness. I liked what I saw since I am looking for a purposeful car/suv to travel in highways and ease within city.

Now on the drive experience: TD car given Red. I kinda liked it though I booked Silver few weeks back. Solid visibility from the driver's seat. Service road was indeed a nice place to test the off road capability. Suspension quality is noticeable. Neither hard like a mahindra vehicle and nor so soft like my Civic. More importantly, the high GC gives the confidence to get the car up and down comfortably on the muddy stretch. Gear knobs and audio controls are reachable. unable to comment on Audio quality. Fabric seats are utilitarian. Get in and get out is easy however the steering is sort of touchy during ingress.

Overall, left the showroom with a positive note.

Will I go for it ? I don't know. Kind of mixed feelings. Cost is definitely not the factor that drives this thoughts. To me, this car is out there to satisfy a segment of people with some specific needs. Am I one of them? I have some time and need to think before I commit for the delivery in the next few weeks.

But if I decide to go, It would be 110 RXL instead of RXZ as the price difference doesn't make sense to the additional features offered.
rshiv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 19:33   #1597
BHPian

Now only if Maruti Suzuki can launch something similar to the duster but with better features and pricing.That would be like the icing on the cake.I feel Renault couldve done better on the pricing.But then again size matters.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:36   #1598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragpatankar View Post
Terribly disappointed with the stepmotherly treatment for the Petrol version. No Safety equipment even if we are willing to pay for it seems really stupid decision from Renault.
Even the delta in the RXL to RXE for petrol is just a few cosmetic changes like fabric color,Door handles etc not even Alloys provided in petrol Rxl. .......Basically looks like a ploy to advertize a "starting price" which is totally useless, no real user will put up with the pathetic spec and pay 7.2 or 8.2 L of hard earned money for the petrol version at least..............
Specific deal breakers for me are the lack of Safety features, and no rear split seat--just a full folding bench. @GTO - No need to test drive the Petrol ;-(
And i totally agree somehow that its an attempt to meet that starting point. Its stupid to assume any real sales of the Petrol model so why not use it as a bait.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:37   #1599
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshiv View Post
Overall, left the showroom with a positive note.
But if I decide to go, It would be 110 RXL instead of RXZ as the price difference doesn't make sense to the additional features offered.

Did you you drive the 110 bhp or the 85 bhp?
I am told that 85 bhp is much very drivable in city traffic with minimal lag. Any comments there?

Last edited by ampere : 4th July 2012 at 19:44.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:54   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Detailed review coming up shortly with a video edit, watch this space!
thanks for the review aseem. Can you also drive the 110 and provide a comparison of the feeling in city/highway in both versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshiv View Post
rshiv, there's one catch. The RXL does not have airbags
Old 4th July 2012, 19:58   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did you you drive the 110 bhp or the 85 bhp?
I am told that 85 bhp is much very drivable in city traffic with minimal lag. Any comments there?
I drove the 110 RXZ topend variant but couldn't go beyond 3rd gear in that narrow road. No engine stuttering or lag I felt within that short distance. So, no big complaints on the drive-ability or rather too short a drive to comment on it.
However, I think 85BHP/5 gears may not be sufficient for highway runs.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:00   #1602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I forgot to double check but I guess it doesn't have a passenger side Air bag but does have one for the driver
Old 4th July 2012, 20:06   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
thanks for the review aseem. Can you also drive the 110 and provide a comparison of the feeling in city/highway in both versions?

No alloy wheels, no reverse parking sensor, no seat belt reminder also.

BTW. Is there any photo with steel wheels?
Old 4th July 2012, 20:09   #1604
BHPian

11.35 for the top end duster! That too from a brand that is not proven in India. Wow. Seriously I guess its time the Storme needs to come. If only they too had a frugal 1.5 - 1.6 D instead of the huge 2.2 L. I know I am comparing apples and oranges, but still if I have 11.35 L (+ more) to spend, I would really look around!
Old 4th July 2012, 20:10   #1605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
No alloy wheels, no reverse parking sensor, no seat belt reminder also.
Yes, but one could live with that, considering the price difference. Airbags seems to be a very bad miss in RXL.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed