Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 20:18   #1606
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 L

I've noticed people here get their hopes up that products are going to be priced really cheap, and as soon as the price is out everyone is disappointed and saying how it will do badly. The only exception to that was the XUV. Guys be real. Nothing is really going to be priced at what you want it to be

Either way, this is going to do well. Why? Because it looks like a proper SUV. People here want an SUV and are ready to compromise on many other things like features and price for the street cred. Look at the Fortuner if you don't believe me.

While it may not have features that a Hyundai at a lesser price does, what the Duster does offer is a good build, a reliable engine, and a sorted chassis. These 3 are big things for me. I just wish ABS at least was standard on all variants.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 4th July 2012 at 20:34.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 20:19   #1607
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshiv View Post
However, I think 85BHP/5 gears may not be sufficient for highway runs.
I think that would depend on requirements and driving styles.

For example as per me its actually ample. Because more than running at high triple digits, I like to cruise at 90-100
max on the highways. For such a situation, I think the 85 BHP should be just enough. And I get my mileage too!

EDIT :
A case in point is the 1.5L 90BHP New Fiesta Diesel

Last edited by ampere : 4th July 2012 at 20:27.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:20   #1608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Update: Price Comparison as Announced In UK
Dacia Duster UK Pricing Announced - autoevolution
105ps Base Petrol = 8995£ => 7.8L
110 Ps RxL Equivalent = 11495£ => 10L
110ps RxZ Equivalent = 12,995£ => 11.3L

I think we should assume the prices to be at least 1L less in India as its locally manufactured.

So my guesses would be
~9L for 110ps RxL
~ 10.3L for 110ps RxZ
~8.3L for 85ps RxL (assuming its 70k cheaper than 110ps)

Unless of course Renault wants to play the premium card and gets greedy to cut a bigger deal locally.
Renault got terribly greedy with the top end variants. Come on Renault, you make 110ps RXL in Chennai, ship it to UK, and then sell it at 10L OTR in UK. Then you sell the same car in 10L ex-show room in India!
Really?!

A big thumbs down on the greedy pricing from Renault!
SkyWalker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 20:26   #1609
BHPian

A big thumbs down on the greedy pricing from Renault!

Same way, feel the base price could have been 50-60K
less.
Another great product let down by bad pricing. Lets wait for the market/Buyer reaction.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:33   #1610
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that low end version will find many takers.
Not all the buyers are on Team-BHP afterall.

But it will pick up volumes slowly like Sunny did.
The only thing to be kept tight is the A.S.S.
If they manage that then they are on their way to slow but sure success.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:39   #1611
BHPian

There is already a 3 month waiting period for the 85PS diesel per the Delhi West Dealer. So the pricing has not really dampened sentiments in the actual market.

On the 110PS RXL - does anybody know for sure that there is a driver airbag?
Old 4th July 2012, 20:42   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Now only if Maruti Suzuki can launch something similar to the duster but with better features and pricing.That would be like the icing on the cake.I feel Renault couldve done better on the pricing.But then again size matters.
They will be by 2013, the Maruti X Alpha based on the Swift Platform
Old 4th July 2012, 20:45   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Those looking for 'snob value' will not go for the Duster. Its not priced at a premium or positioned as a 'snob value' product in any country launched so far, and there is a reason for that.

...RXL 110 are too close to XUV. And the XUV offers tremendous value in nearly every aspect over the Duster. Renault is 50k off here, and numbers after the initial hype dies down will be telling, so this may be a missed opportunity.

This is a volume car, and should be priced as such, let Yeti and Koleos who can at least carry off the 'snob value' with some justification focus on the premium end.
Couldn't agree more. The top end 110 RxZ Option Pack sells at Rs. 11.29L, which is just Rs. 29,472 less than W6 variant of the XUV and 41,546 lower than GX Innova. Apart from the leather seats, the equipment list on the Duster is also not as comprehensive as the competition.

The base Rs. 9,99,000 version also IMO doesn't cut it. The Ertiga ZDi non- alloy variant is a full Rs. 1.63L cheaper, which more than makes up for the power deficiency.

We may argue all we want that the Duster is different to the Ertiga, or the XUV, but truth be told, Ertiga's rough road compatibility is not that bad, and the duster isn't exactly city- friendly when compared to XUV in size.

Perhaps, Renault got it all wrong with the Logan itself, unlike Ford which hit the sweet spot with the Ikon. They made the designed for emerging markets car too basic, and there is a limit where you can improve such a design in its aspirational value. The pricing has not been sufficiently attractive to make up for the compromise. People think of it as a low- content car with not - so - low price. The same might be the case with Duster also, I'm afraid.

And, to think that they use one single engine, the 1461cc dCi, albeit in different states of tune, from the Pulse RxL to the Fluence Diesel E4 which are 250% apart in ex- showroom prices is way beyond even the 175% price walk between Maruti Ritz LDi and SX4 ZDi!

Or maybe we Indians share the Englishman's lower esteem for French vehicles?

Last edited by Yeldo : 4th July 2012 at 20:47.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 20:46   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
They will be by 2013, the Maruti X Alpha based on the Swift Platform
Maruti don't have a competent diesel engine. Closest thing they have is the FIAT sourced 1249cc VGT 90bhp. That cannot be considered as a competition.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 4th July 2012 at 20:48.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:51   #1615
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Looking at it, we are talking 14.01 lacs on road Bangalore!
Same price pretty much as the top spec Scorpio.
Rather high indeed for the Duster 2WD which is a cheaper variant anywhere else abroad.

Tough fight then between the two!
Personally I am glad I did not bother to wait for this vehicle though I was extremely keen on it a year ago.

I think Renault, at these kinds of prices, is cheating the Indian public, especially on safety features on the lower variants. This alone requires them to burn from some seriously bad press.

Still, given the Indian penchant for SUV's, I am sure this vehicle will clock some numbers.

I would crib the same way against any manufacturer who dares take our consumer for granted. The best way is to vote with the wallet. However, we are still a starved, less evolved market and thus, will tend to lap up anything these manufacturers care to throw at us!

Drastic thought, but I think that a facebook movement against this kind of treatment, may make them see sense!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th July 2012 at 20:56.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 21:21   #1616
BHPian

Just had a look at the Duster at Renault Gurgaon. Place was really crowded.
I am disappointed with the interiors. Just very basic. I was interested in the top model @10.99 (because of better power and safety features) without the optional leather seat covers.
But when you spend 12.5L (aporx), you like to feel it inside the car also. Back seats are really flat. No underthigh support.
Chevy beat offers amazing interiors in comparision and that too at almost 1/3rd of the dusters cost. Just a thought.
Wife says exteriors are ok but interiors are not acceptable. So no chance for second thoughts, I am out of the race.
Old 4th July 2012, 21:33   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think that would depend on requirements and driving styles.

For example as per me its actually ample. Because more than running at high triple digits, I like to cruise at 90-100
max on the highways. For such a situation, I think the 85 BHP should be just enough. And I get my mileage too!

EDIT :
A case in point is the 1.5L 90BHP New Fiesta Diesel
I think in all honesty you havent driven either the new Fiesta and Nissan Sunny back to back. Fiesta begs you to revv it, the clutch is tight, steering responsive and suspension to die for. The engine revvs so smoothly without any noise that you hit 80 in second gear at 5000 RPM and you hardly notice any sound clatter. The power delivery is linear. The only time it dissapoints if you are under 1400 RPM on 2nd gear and need to accelerate suddenly, the car has a dead spot till it hits 1700 RPM thanks to the tall gearing. The Sunny (with same engine as Duster) is an "uncles" car in comparison. Point A to Point B with oodles of leg room, space, light steering with 0 feedback and light clutch. Its a comfort machine.

To compare Fiesta with Duster having 1.5 Ltr 85 ps engine, given the difference in their kerb weight and how the engines generate that power and put it on the road is a disservice to Fiesta. I really request you to test drive the car before making statements about their power/engines as simply reading the specs doesnt tell the complete story. Case in point Renault engine in F1 has the least horses but is the most driveable!

Last edited by aseem : 4th July 2012 at 21:35.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 21:54   #1618
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
To compare Fiesta with Duster having 1.5 Ltr 85 ps engine, given the difference in their kerb weight and how the engines generate that power and put it on the road is a disservice to Fiesta. I really request you to test drive the car before making statements about their power/engines as simply reading the specs doesnt tell the complete story. Case in point Renault engine in F1 has the least horses but is the most driveable!

I did drive the new Fiesta diesel last week. And I did drive it on a highway and was blown away by its characteristics. Though I did not rev it to 80 in second
gear from a test point of view. I like to cruise more which is what I tested.

What I have not test driven is the Duster, which I would like to do. Obviously I don't expect it to behave like the Fiesta (I can only dream). But I do hope that
the power delivery is linear. On that account, what I read/heard is that the 85bhp trim has a much more linear power delivery compared to 110 and with much
lesser lag. If that aspect is true, I would be happier. It may not be the quickest on the road, but it if the engine is decently refined (reduced clatter) and has
minimal lag I would be satisfied.

I do hope I make my point of view well presented.

PS : I did not drive the Sunny. All my observations are restricted to New Fiesta only. I am also aware of the weight differences between Duster and Fiesta.
And I was not comparing Duster to Fiesta. I was merely trying to state that raw horse power may not all that one wants. (May be I should have put Fiesta
versus Verna to illustrate it better. Again discounting 1.5 vs 1.6)

Last edited by ampere : 4th July 2012 at 22:04.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 22:14   #1619
BHPian

This is one mini suv i was eagerly waiting for, after seeing those youtube videos i was very happy, but now look what happened no 4x4 option and 4x4 pricing of 2x4 version shattered my dream of owning one.
There will be some takers for it, but now Yeti Make more sense and waiting for EcoSprot before making the final call. (hope Ford go Figo way with EcoSport,
Ford doesn't have any hatch and their Sedans are selling less than 2k mark, so this is the right time for Ford come up with product like Ecosport and target all those Premium Hatchbacks and C1, C2 sedan segment)
I was looking at the facebook page of Renault from launch time and the moderators are busy deleting all negative posts from their page.

Last edited by vvvinod : 4th July 2012 at 22:25.
Old 4th July 2012, 22:42   #1620
BHPian

I'll check Duster out over the weekend, even thought it has slipped out of my budget. After all I have been waiting for its launch from last December.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed