Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 10:09   #16
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Duster does look pretty good and promising (price-wise). Like everyone mentioned, would love to see the 4x4 variant. Good competition is necessary in this segment with Scorpio and safari leading right now.

Slightly OT maybe, but will ask anyway. For the size that duster has, how do you think the 1.5 Ltr DCI will perform compared to the > 2 ltr engines that other offer? Will it struggle a bit to gain good speeds on highway or to climb an elevation? Expert opinions please.

Thanks Rehaan for the amazing photos. The coverage of auto expo has been excellent from the team. rated 5 stars
Old 13th January 2012, 10:10   #17
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Duster looks awesome! Its a good size, and would suit our roads better.

I wish Renault brings some 2L engines soon. Fluence and Duster would be magnificent on 2L engines.
Second that, these Renaults need 2 L Diesel engines to compete with the Yetis and Lauras. Renault should also focus on the diesel segment.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ Duster looks like a proper small SUV, it did not look like a Hatch on stilts from any angle to me. The GC is huge for a softroader along with very short overhangs, easily in the league of Safari and Scorpio(may be better). If they price it well, this looks like a very good alternative to our desi SUVs.

@Renault: Please give us a 4wd variant.

From the photos the fit and finish looks quite decent. The uncluttered styling gives a no-nonsense look, though the rear hatch is a hit or miss. As long as they do not give the same beige interiors of Logan it is OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
Duster looks awesome! Its a good size, and would suit our roads better.

I wish Renault brings some 2L engines soon. Fluence and Duster would be magnificent on 2L engines.
Who will be willing to pay? I think a 2L will make it enter a segment higher and compete with the likes of much bigger SUVs

Last edited by mallumowgli : 13th January 2012 at 10:16.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Who will be willing to pay? I think a 2L will make it enter a segment higher and compete with the likes of much bigger SUVs
Well, first of all Fluence should have been with given at the *same* cost with a 2L engine. There's a reason its not selling - All its competitors - Laura, Cruze, Jetta come with 2L engines.

I agree it would hike up the price for Duster. But we dont know what the prices are - everyone feels Duster would be priced well, but what was the last Renault you saw which was priced well?. Duster should definitely have a 1.5L engine to keep prices low. But as an option, a 2L engine would be great. I would be ready to pay 1L-1.5L extra for a 2L engine. Thats the TBHPian in me speaking.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 13th January 2012 at 10:24.
Old 13th January 2012, 11:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Second that, these Renaults need 2 L Diesel engines to compete with the Yetis and Lauras. Renault should also focus on the diesel segment.
Duster does not belong to the same segment as Yeti. It's a built to cost SUV on Logan platform. Globally it is available with only with 1.5 dci engine in varying states of tune.

Unless Renault decides to position Duster to compete with XUV & Yeti, they have a winner in their hands. But considering their other cars positioning especially Fluence and Koleos my hopes from this grench car maker are very low.
Old 13th January 2012, 11:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Earlier on the forum, we had discussions about what the Renault hatchback would be and a lot of us had expected the Modus. In the end we got a re-badged Micra. So I won't be surprised if the sedan is a re-badged Sunny. I hope I'm wrong.
I hope you're wrong too buddy, but unlikely. My only hope is that they took a very long time to reinvent the Micra as the Pulse. I don't think Renault India has had that kind of time with the Sunny.
Old 13th January 2012, 11:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Duster does not belong to the same segment as Yeti. It's a built to cost SUV on Logan platform. Globally it is available with only with 1.5 dci engine in varying states of tune.

Unless Renault decides to position Duster to compete with XUV & Yeti, they have a winner in their hands. But considering their other cars positioning especially Fluence and Koleos my hopes from this grench car maker are very low.
Ok, but the Yeti is no purebred SUV either. Its built on the Laura Scout platform ! The UK Autocar magazine also club the Yeti, Duster & Mitsui ASX as compact SUVs...
Old 13th January 2012, 11:59   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Ok, but the Yeti is no purebred SUV either. Its built on the Laura Scout platform ! The UK Autocar magazine also club the Yeti, Duster & Mitsui ASX as compact SUVs...
It's not about the size or function, Yeti is a premium product with top notch fit & finish along with huge range of bells and whistles, there is no cost cutting evident, from anything from Engine to Suspension to Interiors. Duster on the other side is a built to cost vehicle on Logan platform, there is cost cutting in every bit of this car. In UK it is expected to be priced below even Ford Fiesta Hatch.

.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 12:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

I suppose the Duster will be in direct competition with the EcoSport, though EcoSport will be cheaper. Renault has been disastrous with its pricing of Fluence and Koleos, but I hope that with the high localization, the Duster will be properly priced.

There are no interior pics of Duster? Will it be 5 or 7 seater?
Old 13th January 2012, 12:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Thanks for sharing collective data.

By looking at this dimensional comparison, Duster seems like a proper SUV, not a bigger hatch, it looks at par (except length) with CRV which is popular as a family SUV. Ground clearance is also better or equal to others (But don't know how Europeans major that). Vehicle height is less than others which is a plus point in terms of safety.
Being a 5 seater it would be much more spacious than the Scorpio & XUV on the inside where the third row is cramped and leaved absolutely no luggage space with the third row up. In my 4 years of ownership of the Scorpio the 3rd row has been used only on 3 ocassions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
There are no interior pics of Duster? Will it be 5 or 7 seater?
It is a 5 seater.
Old 13th January 2012, 14:34   #26
BHPian

One thing I would like to mention about Duster is that atleast this is the only SUV within Rs. 15 lakh price range which has some safety ratings (3 star) in Euro NCAP crash tests after Yeti. Other SUVs in this range like Scorpio, Safari, Bolero, XUV etc don't have any safety ratings, So if the Duster is launched within Rs. 10 lakh than it will be the only SUV with safety ratings. Lesser height of Duster also makes it less prone to topple.

In my opinion Duster and Yeti are far superior products than other affordable SUVs.

Euro Ncap Ratings: Dacia Duster | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

Crash Test Video:
Old 13th January 2012, 14:44   #27
BHPian

there is absolutely no mention of the safety features on the Duster, atleast none that I have been able to find out..

This looks like a great SUV anyways!
Old 13th January 2012, 15:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
there is absolutely no mention of the safety features on the Duster, atleast none that I have been able to find out..
This looks like a great SUV anyways!
Good observation, I have been going through the Renault sites worldwide where Duster is available, though the offering has disc brakes (front / rear) & ABS but there is no mention of airbags.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:50   #29

Found following at Renault India website: Renault - Overview

Features:
Stylish Chrome grille
Twin barrel headlamps
16'' Alloy Wheels, Front Fog Lamps
Keyless entry
ABS with Brake Assist & EBD
Dual front Airbags
Plush Leather Upholstery
4 Speaker Music System with USB, AUX-IN & Bluetooth Connectivity
Satellite Audio & phone control
Rear Defogger, rear wiper & washer
Electrically adjustable ORVMs
Rear parking sensors
A Boot capacity of 475 litres.
Old 13th January 2012, 16:00   #30
BHPian

^^ Good specs, but believable?
The Euro NCAP site which tested & graded the Duster has no mention of EBD, Brake assist etc..

Also, Renault dealership is pretty pathetic. Even in Delhi - there are just 2 dealers.

But who am I kidding, when this thing launches; I am buying one !

by the way, has anyone purchased Fluence ?!

Last edited by BUXX : 13th January 2012 at 16:13.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed