Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 22:45   #511
BHPian

Re: What is this vehicle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
Spotted this in Chennai on Monday, 7th May, near Ashok Nagar, at around 6.00PM. Is this the mini xylo ? No manufacturer markings were visible and it moved away before I could take out my phone and get a decent picture.

Shyam
Thanks for sharing the pic.
The size of this vehicle is a bit confusing. It shows good road presence in some earlier pics and looks a bit mini-SUVish in this pic (when compared with that bike)
Old 8th May 2012, 09:58   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Thanks for sharing the pic.
The size of this vehicle is a bit confusing. It shows good road presence in some earlier pics and looks a bit mini-SUVish in this pic (when compared with that bike)
You are right, the size is extremely confusing in the pictures, the doubt will remain till we are able to see the vehicle in metal. It would be great if we can have some pictures of the Duster standing next to some of the existing SUV's for comparison purposes.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:07   #513
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Look.. its not tall. Its pretty short in height.
like the Outlander or the CRV. In comparison, the Wagon R , Ritz, santro are taller.

It is wide & longer. Much like the GM Subaru/Forester, but smallish.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:29   #514
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Duster was launched in Dubai couple of weeks back for about 48000 AED (which comes to about 670000 INR).
I would expect Renault to launch duster at around 8 to 8.5 lkhs for the base version
Old 8th May 2012, 12:24   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
Duster was launched in Dubai couple of weeks back for about 48000 AED (which comes to about 670000 INR).
I would expect Renault to launch duster at around 8 to 8.5 lkhs for the base version
Looked at the renault dubai website for the above launch, it talks about 2 variants 4x2 AT (4 speed) and 4x4 MT (6 speed) both with 135 bps/195Nm naturally aspirated petrol engines. No diesel on offer there. Hope the petrol here gets these specs. The link is Renault - specifications.
Old 8th May 2012, 16:58   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Looked at the renault dubai website for the above launch, it talks about 2 variants 4x2 AT (4 speed) and 4x4 MT (6 speed) both with 135 bps/195Nm naturally aspirated petrol engines. No diesel on offer there. Hope the petrol here gets these specs. The link is Renault - specifications.
The petrols listed over there are the gas guzzling 2.0L engines. Renault in their wildest of the dreams won't ever introduce the Duster with a 2.0L petrol engine in the Indian market, that would be suicidal. Since it is the middle east (where petrol could be cheaper than water), they dared to do so.
Old 8th May 2012, 17:15   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The petrols listed over there are the gas guzzling 2.0L engines. Renault in their wildest of the dreams won't ever introduce the Duster with a 2.0L petrol engine in the Indian market, that would be suicidal. Since it is the middle east (where petrol could be cheaper than water), they dared to do so.
What you are saying is right, a diesel SUV would sell here more than a guzzler.

Just hope that the engine options Renault comes out with also satisfy an enthusiast and are not just tuned for efficiency
Old 8th May 2012, 23:52   #518
BHPian

I have a intution that instead of Renault Duster or Ford Ecosport, it will be the MS XA Alpha based mini SUV that will set charts afire whenever it will be launched.
Renault Duster though very competent off road and proved itself worldwide, its major hurdle will be the Renault's limited dealer network and brand visibility. Car's interior although spiced up will not be that premium against competition. Moreover other Renault offerings in India are not that well priced, so we cant expect Renault to price Duster rather cheap.
Ford Ecosport though high on technology and quality will pale in price to size ratio. They cant price it too low because SUVs are always more expensive than the saloon of the same platform. Price it too high, and it will go the Skoda Yeti way.
NOTE-THESE ARE ALL SPECULATIONS AND I AM READY TO BE PROVED WRONG BECAUSE IF THE COMPETITION IS FIERCE, IT WILL THE CONSUMER WHO WILL BE MOST BENEFITTED
Dr.Abhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 09:09   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
You are right, the size is extremely confusing in the pictures, the doubt will remain till we are able to see the vehicle in metal. It would be great if we can have some pictures of the Duster standing next to some of the existing SUV's for comparison purposes.
I have seen the SUV on road, its length is at par with the segment, height is on little shorter side, width is similar to a scorp. Height is little more than a Waganor, thats what it looked to me.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:44   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I have seen the SUV on road, its length is at par with the segment, height is on little shorter side, width is similar to a scorp. Height is little more than a Waganor, thats what it looked to me.
Thanks for the update, I understand that the ground clearence is slightly more than the Scorpio.

It would probably be similar to the Outlander / Grand Vitara in dimentions. But again unless one has a change to view it at length and compare it will be speculations.
Old 9th May 2012, 10:44   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Thanks for the update, I understand that the ground clearence is slightly more than the Scorpio.

It would probably be similar to the Outlander / Grand Vitara in dimentions. But again unless one has a change to view it at length and compare it will be speculations.
I saw the duster at the Auto show and yes, the size is similar to the Outlander/Grand Vitara. I also remember seeing it for the first time that I wasn't very impressed with the overall look. It looked very pale in front of the XA Alpha and the Ecosport. Those two defintiely looked more flashy. The Duster, on the other hand, looked utilitarian. But, then I never liked the Scorpio's looks either and look how well that sells.
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 12:02   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
The Duster, on the other hand, looked utilitarian. But, then I never liked the Scorpio's looks either and look how well that sells.
Completely agree! Look at the Wagon R is that great looking? but look at the numbers. Beauty helps to sell more, but its not the chief driver of sales. Wagon is pure utility + affordable. It sells (even being petrol only!).

That will also work for the duster. The question that will work in its favor is "at this price and utility and differentiating (meaning new car) factor what else can I buy?". Well, the answer is none. So you will end up deciding on it. Only the thin network and brand awareness might work against it, but that can be solved (with a hot selling product, dealers will pour in, point in case Mahindra) and for brand there is always the Ad route.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:21   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All,

Having seen the Duster quite closely in the Auto Expo in Delhi, to give people an idea of its size, it is just around 9 cm longer than a Yeti (4.31 m instead if 4.22 m) and just as tall as Yeti. The Roof rails probably are around 5mm higher. The GC is a major difference and is also visible between the two - the Duster has 210mm while Yeti has 180mm and the Duster appears much higher as front valence is very high. The overhang is also much shorter than the Yeti in the front, giving it a better approach angle.
The tyres on the Duster are slightly bigger at 215/65 R 16 , compared to the Yeti's 215/60 R16.
The Duster does have quirky looks (even quirkier than the Yeti!) especially from the front. The Rear is very plain and has protrusions on the tail light, which look really odd.
Overall I feel that Renault will pitch it as a Utilitarian vehicle at an affordable price point (8-10L). In fact their Tagline in the Dubai launch is "Shockingly Affordable" and their website is Shockingly Affordable: New Renault Duster 2012 - Renault GCC ! Let's hope that they continue they continue the same strategy in India, though they are at a disadvantage due to the length being 4.3M and not meeting the requirement for the lower tax slab which the Ecosport enjoys.
From an external marketing observer perspective, I feel that Duster will enjoy first move advantage in the 8-10 lacs price segment with Launch in June and will garner good sales (1500-2000 per month), while the Ecosport which enters in Jan 2013 will face a big challenge as they will pitch in the 8-12 lac segment with "Premium" features.
My bet is more on the success of the Duster (priced in 8-10 lacs) compared to the Ecosport (priced 8-12 lacs).

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 9th May 2012 at 12:27.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 15:03   #524
Senior - BHPian

The video on the site is pretty neat. It shows a 4WD version with shift on fly.
Old 9th May 2012, 16:56   #525
BHPian

I am delaying my plan of buying a car till Diwali.I am very impressed by Duster, Although i haven't seen it yet, but it looks very promising and it also fit my liking and budget.The only issues i have is After sales service,availability of spare parts,Puny dealership network Etc of Renault.I am eagerly waiting for Duster & Ecosport because,i dont wanna end up buying Ertiga
Ford India: Are you listening launch Ecosport till Diwali.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks