Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 12:00   #691
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
I am not sure if Sales Executive who suggested the price of Rs. 14-15 Lac knows much himself. We all want him to be wrong on this one. And by a big margin.
Me too. When the SE said 2x2 only will be available, then I hope his pricing also has errors (on the higher side)
Old 5th June 2012, 13:47   #692
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I am planning to buy the Duster if and only if it's top end diesel comes at a price of under 10 lakhs (ex showroom). Anything more than 10 lakhs isn't worth the risk IMO - for a car/brand that hasn't proven itself.
+1 to this!

1. The Duster is neither a snazzy new global model being premiered and nor will it have a potentially game-changing ultra-modern engine like the Ford EcoBoost petrol.
2. The 85 bhp (FGT + Intercooler) engine is identical to the current Logan/Verito engine – max max, the ECU will be tuned to ‘SUV characteristics’
The 110 bhp engine is similar to the 85 bhp engine except that it comes with a bolt-on VGT with relevant changes to the ECU
3. It is a relatively ancient design being built in multiple (developed/developing) countries around the world i.e. manufacturing dies may not be expensive as well as an existing/ready vendor base for key imported components.
4. The chassis is a standard monocoque without any of the fancy space-age alloys or plastics etc.
5. ’Indianisation’ costs maybe included ‘beigeing’ the interior, generally improving the quality and ergonomics (relocating the power window switches etc.) and replacing the dashboard to a more modern one

Renault should learn from their own miscalculation with the Koleos and the Fluence apart from Ford’s fiasco with the new Ford Fiesta and Honda with the old Jazz. They also have a pretty thin service network and should not over-estimate our hunger for a basic SUV.

Ideally, price the basic 85 bhp petrol at 6.99L and the basic diesel at 7.99L. Price the ABS/airbag variants at 1L more.

Keep it 'Shockingly Affordable' please
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 10:15   #693
BHPian

LAUNCH is definitely near !!
The Renault Duster page shows a spanking new Blood Red Duster !!!

YIPPPPEEEE!!!!

Renault - DUSTER

Last edited by BUXX : 6th June 2012 at 10:16.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 12:26   #694
BHPian

Oh yeah!! The Blood Red Duster looks really good. Point to note is that it doesn't say "Affordable" as it is marketed in the middle east with the tagline of "Shockingly Affordable". Does that mean we are in for a "not so pleasant" surprise?

Source: Renault - DUSTER
Attached Thumbnails
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-duster_homepage.jpg  

Old 6th June 2012, 13:59   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX

YIPPPPEEEE!!!!

Renault - DUSTER
Looks like they've taken it down. I only see the current three on the home page and products list. This could mean anything so I will not speculate.

Price is something that can make or break this product, and a well priced Duster can actually make Renault a brand in India. However, given the current price discrepancy in fuels, I think most manufacturers are trending towards over-priced diesels and bargain petrols (discounts or otherwise). It could be that Renault plans such pricing from the start.
Old 6th June 2012, 14:02   #696
BHPian

^^ link seems to be working just fine.. recheck pls
Old 6th June 2012, 14:08   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX
^^ link seems to be working just fine.. recheck pls
I didn't mean that the link is not working. The Duster isn't there, if you check. Or could be a system issue
Old 6th June 2012, 14:15   #698
BHPian

Seems like test mules are still running around Chennai according to IndianAutosBlog

Renault Duster not yet done with trials in Chennai.

The Red Duster has been replaced with the original image. Surprising to note that some details which were posted on the page are missing now.
Old 6th June 2012, 14:17   #699
Senior - BHPian

I somehow sense that no matter what we say on the forum, junta out there buying Safaris, Scorpios, Ertigas & Xylos will lap this up if its variants are priced between 8-12 lakhs OTR. I can imagine my own native place with rich farmers flooded with Dusters! They don't care about money, brand, after sales etc. 4x2 vs. 4x4 discussion is for purists. Most of the buyers won't care for the 4x4 and will gladly shell out as much as the other cars i listed for the 4x2 if the interiors come loaded.

It is going to do pretty good numbers with that pricing. Its a totally different discussion whether it can sustain these numbers once the actual feedback on ownership starts coming in.

But wouldn't i love to be proven wrong by Renault with a sub-10lakh pricing?
Old 6th June 2012, 14:18   #700
BHPian

If they want this to work then they have to match the ERTIGA prices - with their lack of network they can hope to do well.

But given their plan to begin export this may not be the case and volumes would then be for export primarily.
Old 6th June 2012, 16:02   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post

YIPPPPEEEE!!!!

Renault - DUSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Seems like test mules are still running around Chennai according to IndianAutosBlog

Renault Duster not yet done with trials in Chennai.

The Red Duster has been replaced with the original image. Surprising to note that some details which were posted on the page are missing now.
Seems to me that IAB just picks up stuff from here & there..

They were very confident that this would be a delayed launch (around Diwali), to "take advantage of the festival buying" ...
Old 6th June 2012, 17:23   #702
BHPian

Dear Team-BHP, Rush, mods and readers,

I would like to clarify regarding the launch of the Duster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Seems to me that IAB just picks up stuff from here & there..

1) They were very confident that this would be a delayed launch (around Diwali), to "take advantage of the festival buying" ...
With all due respect sir, we don't pick up stuff from here and there. I met Renault India boss Mr Marc Nassif at the Renault Fluence 110PS variant media drive back in early April and he mentioned that the Duster will be launched "before Diwali."

2) "confident that this would be a delayed launch" -

I also was told by another high-ranked Renault India official that the vehicle will not be launched in June (as per what the product line page of the Renault India website previously mentioned), which was also subsequently corrected from "Coming in June" to "Coming Soon" marked with asterisks.

We have dual confirmation here that the product is not coming in June which is why we did that story, from where you have quoted us.

3) "to "take advantage of the festival buying""

I also hear from my own sources very recently that the Duster may be ready much ahead Diwali. This is the reason why we have said in yesterday's article that the vehicle "is anticipated" in showrooms in August. We continue to maintain that the vehicle will be launched before Diwali as per what the top Renault India official has shared with us.

Mr Nassif's "before Diwali" comment was understood by us as a period that precedes Diwali during which sales gain steam and people tend to start spending on valuables, gifts and property.

This is not directly related to the topic, but it is not unusual to see manufacturers bringing out cars a little ahead of schedule.

We make every effort possible to not mislead our readers. At times our stories may be interpreted differently, for which we're ready to clarify and explain.

Yours Respectfully,

Shrawan Raja
notjustshrawan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 17:54   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustshrawan
Dear Team-BHP, Rush, mods and readers,

I would like to clarify regarding the launch of the Duster.

With all due respect sir, we don't pick up stuff from here and there.
Thank you, and nice of you to clarify on TBHP when you could have waited and said "I told you so" later! Glad you have clarified too, as it gives us a much more authentic source and date for when the Duster will be launched.

Here's looking forward to Diwali, then!
Old 6th June 2012, 18:04   #704

I guess the pricing bit has been commented on a lot; but it will be highly disappointing considering the immense pre-launch build-up - this must be one of the more eagerly awaited piece of wheels in recent times.

Also, I saw the following on YouTune in respect of the Duster's off-roading abilities. Granted that most of us are not really going to hit the mud-trail (perhaps looking for an alternative to sedan with the option of weekend trips and occasional tough terrain), but if the Duster handles the rough in this fashion, it will be a cakewalk over the other SUV-MUV options in 8-12 Lakh range.

But then again, how much will you shell out 'extra' for it
Old 6th June 2012, 18:38   #705
BHPian

Thank you Shrawan for the detailed explanation.

Unfortunately, the higher you go up the chain , the higher the chance of the guy in making a more guarded/conservative statement.
Precisely the reason behind the "before Diwali" quote !

We here are just excited for the launch, that's all.. !

Just spoke to my Dealer , he seems to be very enthu and says that dealer training are on ( his is scheduled for 11-12th June) and advised me to start on the paperwork for the loan.
He mentioned a launch date of 22 June and like everything Indian ( I guess ) there maybe a +/- 1 week on that.
I am pretty sure that while they may enjoy the liberty of not informing Indians abt the launch date ; they will dare not play around with the Launch date mentioned on their UK site ( 26th June)

Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks