Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 18:47   #706
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Even i talked to a dealer and he mentioned that he will get me more info after 20th. Seems like launch is just around the corner
Old 6th June 2012, 19:18   #707
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Dealer training is on 18th June for Chennai region. And launch on 28th. This is the info I got. Also, 110 Hp is coming for sure and the top variant will be priced around 12.5L OTR Chennai.

Remember Duster is a replacement for a fully loaded C Segment sedan and does not try to compete with the existing 7 seaters (MUVs and SUVs). So the focus will be to attract a buyer who will pledge his money on a fully loaded C segment sedan to the Duster which offers more GC (more practical for Indian conditions), same 5 seats (little more space since its an SUV or a near SUV type) and nearly same equipment levels and more importantly an SUV tag.. and C Segment sedans typically top out at 12-13L OTR...

So expect a pricing of around 12-12.5LOTR for a fully loaded Duster with 110hp. And it will make sense for Renault to put the same Fluence engine in a diff state of tune which means we might also get a 6 speed gear box. Lets see whats in for us!
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 19:26   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Thank you Shrawan for the detailed explanation.

I am pretty sure that while they may enjoy the liberty of not informing Indians abt the launch date ; they will dare not play around with the Launch date mentioned on their UK site ( 26th June)

Cheers!
Thanks for understanding Buxx, just wanted to clear the air on this.

The UK launch of Duster is January 2013, June 28 is just a pre-launch. This is the quote from the press release issued by Dacia UK on the matter-

"UK pricing and specification for the Duster SUV range will be released on 28 June, with customers able to configure their preferred version online, including options and accessories, before pre-ordering it with a deposit of just £100. Customer deliveries will commence in January 2013, just as the brand’s all-new Sandero five-door supermini also launches on our shores."

The exports of Duster will begin later this year, in time for the January 2013 launch. The UK dealers will display LHD versions of the Duster until they receive the RHD model, which will come from the Oragadam plant in Chennai.
Old 6th June 2012, 19:46   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Seems to me that IAB just picks up stuff from here & there..

They were very confident that this would be a delayed launch (around Diwali), to "take advantage of the festival buying" ...
I like to disagree on that! Indian Autos Blog is by far one of the best source of information on Automobiles news. If they are quoting information from somewhere, they clearly mention the source as well. I am one of thier avid readers & love what it offers.

Like Shrawan has said, it is likely that the boss commented pre-diwali which later got changed. even now the showrooms say the delivery will commence by Aug only.
Old 6th June 2012, 21:31   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Dealer training is on 18th June for Chennai region. And launch on 28th. This is the info I got. Also, 110 Hp is coming for sure and the top variant will be priced around 12.5L OTR Chennai.

Remember Duster is a replacement for a fully loaded C Segment sedan and does not try to compete with the existing 7 seaters (MUVs and SUVs). So the focus will be to attract a buyer who will pledge his money on a fully loaded C segment sedan to the Duster which offers more GC (more practical for Indian conditions), same 5 seats (little more space since its an SUV or a near SUV type) and nearly same equipment levels and more importantly an SUV tag.. and C Segment sedans typically top out at 12-13L OTR...

So expect a pricing of around 12-12.5LOTR for a fully loaded Duster with 110hp. And it will make sense for Renault to put the same Fluence engine in a diff state of tune which means we might also get a 6 speed gear box. Lets see whats in for us!
Yes.. thats what I heard as well.. 85bhp for the Petrol, 110 for the Diesel.
and 12L OTR for the top end diesel..
Although , he was mentioning 1 variant for Petrol & 2 for Diesel.. That's peculiar...
Old 6th June 2012, 22:31   #711
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc

Going by this, the Blr on road price will not leave us much change from Rs 13 lacs odd. Not bad going then! Certainly a better option than a Scorpio, Sumo Grande, Safari and many sedans out there! I believe that even at 13 odd lacs on road Blr, this vehicle will find a good number of takers, given our penchant for SUV's and the immense practicality, toughness and overall value propositon offered to consumers by the Duster.
It really can become the value conscious suv buyer's vehicle of choice!
Old 6th June 2012, 22:35   #712
BHPian

From what I know, there are 3 engine option. One petrol (100) bhp and two diesel (85 and 110 bhp). Diesel to start around 8 lacs
Old 7th June 2012, 09:07   #713
BHPian

Been eyeing SUV's for quite a while. Safari's niggles put that one off. Finally had made up mind for T-Fort, but this one has just mesmerised me (blame the Latin\Moroccan off-roading videos on this thread). Btw, I don't understand yet why this seems more attractive to me than T-Fort. Heck, if a 4x4 Duster is coming along, I'd plonk down the booking deposit today!
Old 7th June 2012, 09:12   #714
BHPian

^^ that probably makes much more sense.. and in line with what Renault has done globally , I think.. why are they so afraid of launching the 4X4 initially, I don't know !

The French seem to like to keep things simple for themselves.. !
Old 7th June 2012, 13:52   #715
BHPian

Looks like July launch is confirmed. Got the mail below when I requested for brochure today.

Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thanks for writing to Renault India Customer Care I appreciate your interest shown on our Renault Duster.

I will be happy to inform you that the launch date of our Renault Duster in India is in the month of July,2012.

Below mentioned are the core features of the car, once the product is launch I request you to get back to us so that we can reveal the entire information and also for the test drive and also for the booking.

Duster (Petrol & Diesel) (Core features)

Unique & Modern design

A trendy & compact urban SUV

Stylish Chrome grille

Twin barrel headlamps

16'' Alloy Wheels

Front Fog Lamps

Keyless Entry

ABS with Brake Assist & EBD

Dual front airbags

Plush Leather Upholstery

4 Speaker Music System with USB , AUX-IN & Bluetooth Connectivity

Steering mounted Audio & phone control

Rear Defogger, wiper & washer

Electrically adjustable Outside Rear View Mirrors

Rear Parking Sensors

475 Litre Trunk capacity

Warm Regards,

Renault contact Center

7 Days a week)
Old 7th June 2012, 14:54   #716
BHPian

Concrete info from Renault contact Center. That is good news. Worst case, be end of July we will have the pricing info. Let's hope test cars will be available too.
Old 7th June 2012, 18:42   #717
BHPian

@ Thalavoy- that response from Renault means its definitely a 4X2 (at least for the launch).
Renault has specified the Indian launch version having a 475 L trunk. The 4X2 Duster has a 475 L trunk and the 4X4 has a 400 L trunk
Rigid Rotor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 22:12   #718
BHPian

Yes. The SE was very sure about the launch with 4x2 only (though he said no 4x4, only 2x2 ) He also said announcement on 28th and booking/sale from July 1st. So, it is falling in place. The biggest piece is still the price. Price it around 11L, I am game. Otherwise, Ertiga (man, so much waiting period) or Storme (will it be released this year?)
Old 7th June 2012, 22:41   #719
BHPian

I just saw the updated Duster 2012 model on youtube, and while we tend to be enthusiastic I am really struggling to understand a higher than 10-11 lakh OTR, 12 would be pushing it for what's on offer.

Don't get me wrong, I am an early admirer of the value proposition of the duster. Its done well in most markets mainly because its a robust no nonsense vehicle at a great price.

This is a pretty basic vehicle with only essentials and the interiors are purely functional. It could be a struggle to justify a 'non value' price.
Old 8th June 2012, 08:09   #720
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul
I just saw the updated Duster 2012 model on Youtube, and while we tend to be enthusiastic I am really struggling to understand a higher than 10-11 lakh OTR, 12 would be pushing it for what's on offer.

Don't get me wrong, I am an early admirer of the value proposition of the duster. Its done well in most markets mainly because its a robust no nonsense vehicle at a great price.

This is a pretty basic vehicle with only essentials and the interiors are purely functional. It could be a struggle to justify a 'non value' price.
It is only in our country with its skewed ideas and priorities where a vehicle regarded elsewhere as a common man's car or ute becomes a wannabe luxe toy for a typical well heeled urban poseur, with pricing to match! Take the case of pretty much any of these newer foreign born vehicles and compare the india price positioning with the international price and positioning.

With our taxes and levies and with this new proposed extra diesel tax, I would count us very lucky indeed, if renault is able to price a 4x4 diesel top spec 110 bhp duster at any less than 13 ish, if not more, on road blr!

The duster is certainly a great value proposition if priced right. Having said that if one can pay 13 to 14 ish on road blr for the upper end Scorpio, then why not for a Duster with similar features? After all the duster with the renault euro heritage is better looking and better finished etc overall than the scorp has managed to be despite all the plastic surgery its had! Plus the safety kit and electronics in the duster will certainly be of better quality than in the scorp, given that it has to conform to Euro standards, which the dear old scorp doesnt!

Also none of these other sedans, fiesta, verna and so on come any cheaper than 11 ish for their top spec diesels. And it is not as if all those offer all that much, except some gizmo ish stuff. Come to think of it, if Im right, that idiotic Thar itself with its bare basic everything, zero safety, useless ergonomics and poor quality crude rubbishy finish, tops 8+ lacs on road bangalore for the version with aircon! The long in the tooth SX4 Diesel also is quite expensive at around 11 ish otr blr.

I would therefore hazard the statement that a top spec duster with all safety stuff, diesel power, higher bhp engine, 4x4 etc is worth 12 to 13 on road blr, given the current pricing climate.

I sincerely hope that all those friends here on the forum who are seeking value pricing from the Duster indeed achieve their desire and actually are able to afford and buy one for themselves! I am sure the duster will become an instant hit in urban and rural india like the Scorpio did, in its time. There will be a significant amount of migration from typical sedan buyers, to the Duster, there's absolutely no doubt about it.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks