Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2012, 17:54   #736
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

I think its fair to draw a parallel between sales figures and VFM specifically in India because the entire India auto market is seen as one that goes for VFM.

If Renault has enough production capacity and is serious about selling large numbers, they should definelty play the pricing game carefully. The Indian market is littered with examples of "good cars" that are priced "expensive" at launch and then continue to languish no matter how many offers/price cuts come in BUT at the same time, a reasonable car priced attractively at launch always has the capability to sell at increasing prices once it starts clocking decent sales numbers.

Hence an attractive launch price is important. 9-11 lakhs ex showroom will take in huge numbers for sure. the Scorpio sells so well purely because of the lack of any competition at that price point.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 17:55   #737
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt

With due respect to individual experiences and opinions , the Yeti may be VFM for a few , but look at the monthly numbers Vs some successful models like XUV500, Fortuner, Scorpio, Ertiga , Swift vis-a-vis the Aria, Yeti , Koleos, Pulse, Fluence.

I think Renault has enough examples to know the consequences based on it's pricing actions.
Agreed.
Most of the mass consumers want tons of features, gizmos and everything at a cheap price. And all these vehicles that you have mentioned fulfill that beautifully. However, if one wants a certain level of quality, fit, finish and so on, then one needs to shell out for the same. I dont think that vehicles like the XUV, Scorpio, Ertiga etc can be considered as the epitome of quality. What they offer is a reasonably acceptable quality level and large size at a very appealing price. This is what makes them successful in a developing marketplace.

It is equally clear that all the vehicles listed in the latter part of your post appeal only to a smaller niche of consumers, whose numbers, quite frankly, are negligible.

All I am saying is that the Yeti in India is pretty much priced on level par with its International pricing whereas many of the others are not, notably the Fortuner, Captiva, X Trail, Koleos etc.

If as per the other post just now, the Duster hits us at 11 ex showroom for the top spec 110bhp 4WD version, this will translate into 13 to 13.5 ish on road, Bangalore, whic is pretty much what I ve been guesstimating all along.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th June 2012 at 18:00.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 19:18   #738
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Duster is going to sit below fluence and will be in the range of 7-11. There will be 3 engine option with 3 variants. They will also provide some optional addition to mid and top variant such as alloy/airbags in mid and navigation in the top as option.
Old 10th June 2012, 07:17   #739
BHPian

It all depends on how much Renault wants to sell here. Going by their statements and past successes I'm sure they want this to desperately be a success in India.
Old 10th June 2012, 23:46   #740
BHPian

Dealer training for the Duster is starting tomorrow at MGM resorts on ECR, Chennai.
Saw 2 cars parked next to each other at the VIP parking lot of MGM duly covered and away from public glare.

I went there in the evening with my family and saw the alloys beneath the cover. I was curious and roamed around for a long time until one of the cover was removed for some inspection. Quickly snapped a few pictures which was strongly objected by the Renault staff. However took some pictures without their knowledge.

Few details noticed and gathered from the reluctant staff
- 3 engine options - 1.5 lt petrol and 2 variants of 1.5 lt diesel engine (85 and 110 bhp)
- Base variant of Diesel starts at 8 Lacs (ex) and top variant will be 12 Lacs (ex)
- No 4x4 version in the initial phase
- 5 seater (2+3)
- Alloys on mid and top variant. Disk brakes on front.
- Music system, steering controls, parking sensors and Leather seats only on top variant
- Generous boot space (almost 450 litres)
- GC of 205mm
- Rear seats can occupy 3 comfortably and leg space is decent (not great)
- Dash board had black and beige combination
- Plastic quality on dash and doors are average
- Doors closed with a 'tin' sound and were very light (i drive a Fiat which has heavy doors)
- Launch during last week of June/first week of July
- Bookings currently open (there are 500 cars booked in chennai alone)
- Size of the car is similar to the previous gen Honda CRV/slighly smaller than the Yeti.

The training will be for 1.5 - 2 weeks and you may see the car if you visit MGM during this week.

Few mobile pictures :

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-20120610097.jpg

You can see the second car on the left covered with white cover (the car too was in white)

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-20120610098.jpg

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-20120610099.jpg

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-20120610100.jpg

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-20120610101.jpg

Last edited by bnzjon : 10th June 2012 at 23:59.
bnzjon is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 23:58   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
However took some pictures without their knowledge.

Few details noticed and gathered from the reluctant staff
Great job, thanks for being a curious and dutiful T'Bhpian! The interiors were always not on the great side, its a budget SUV and will look and feel like one. However 12 for top end without 4X4 is asking for too much! May be they see the moola with the first mover advantage, need to see how many will go, I guess they want to be seen as another XUV (whose prices boarders overlap now).

Chennai guys, please plan a MGM visit with family (MGM for the family, sneaks of the Duster for you!).

Shorter than the Yeti is a bit surprising, from the images it does not look so, but then I take your word for it. The paint job in the cars do not look great, is it the mobile camera or is it really a thin coat or paint by Renault?

Thanks for the info, keep the juice flowing!
man_and_machine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 00:05   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
Shorter than the Yeti is a bit surprising, from the images it does not look so, but then I take your word for it. The paint job in the cars do not look great, is it the mobile camera or is it really a thin coat or paint by Renault?

Thanks for the info, keep the juice flowing!
Yes; it looked shorter in length than the Yeti. The paint quality of the car you see in the picture was not great and i too felt the same. Maybe, that's because of the dull colour as well (blame the mobile camera as well).

However, the other car which was covered in white and it looked good (though only the rear bumper and wheel arches were visible through the covers)
Old 11th June 2012, 00:59   #743
BHPian

No doubt the look of Duster is great , body dimensions are impressive but the engine size is relatively small for a utility vehicle . In Indian market it will have some success and for that the credit will go to it's imposing look. This car will certainly be a big threat to Mahindra XUV.
I devotely hope that the on road price of base version should be less than Rs 8 lacs and the 4X4 should be less than 10 lacs.
Old 11th June 2012, 05:04   #744
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Nice pre-launch scoop. Thanks for sharing!

Expect that this vehicle is pretty much engineered to a cost so I guess there will be less frills and fripperies.

However, going by your indication in your post, the price of 12 lacs ex showroom for the top end without 4x4 seems a bit steep. I would have considered that they would offer the top spec 4x4 at a price of roughly 12 ex showroom.

Any idea on the safety features in the final version and whether the safety stuff will come along in all the variants or not?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 07:40   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Nice pre-launch scoop. Thanks for sharing!

Any idea on the safety features in the final version and whether the safety stuff will come along in all the variants or not?
Sorry to have forgotten to most important factor - safety.
Airbags only for the driver and the passenger, ABS and EBD. Available only for the top variant (am not very sure on this).

Last edited by bnzjon : 11th June 2012 at 07:46.
Old 11th June 2012, 08:57   #746
BHPian

That's a GREAT scoop !!
This is a great looking no-frills vehicle and Renault should price it accordingly.
This is not going to wean customers away from the Scorpio/Safari junta at that price point.

But looks like they are gonna go ahead with those prices ( as this has come from multiple sources now)

I can wait for 2 weeks. Not an issue.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:03   #747
BHPian

Great job buddy.Looking good so far. Now we will have to see and hear about the driveability of the 85 bhp model. Please Chennaite's, try getting more information on the same.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:07   #748
BHPian

Super scoop I was at MGM last friday and guess I missed it by a day. Well, in general, cost cutting is pretty evident in few areas like paintjob, no cladding and many safety options being offered only on the top end. To top it all, seems like a 12L ex for top-end is a bummer (atleast for me). As BUXX mentioned, M&M and Tata needs not worry a lot as the service network of Renault will make sure customer think twice.

Personally, since the 4x4 is not offered now (as mentioned by many of you), I might look at alternatives. But, will definitely do a test drive of the duster and read the TBHP review in detail.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:18   #749
BHPian

Renault Duster Training happening here in Mumbai from Today.
The Guards did not allow me to come near the vehicle nor did they allow me to click pictures from near. I spoke to the sales rep standing nearby supervising the cleaning.
He said the launch is within 10-20 days
its a 5 seater with enough luggage room
Size-wize Looks a bit similar to CRV & taller than Yeti
It could turn out to be a perfect urban mini-suv

I went to the terrace and clicked a few pics from my cell (as if i was going to back off )
Attached Thumbnails
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-imag0581.jpg  

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-imag0582.jpg  

schitre05 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 09:28   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Size-wize Looks a bit similar to CRV & taller than Yeti
In the picture, it looks to be simillar to the CRV in terms of size. But I am sure the height is much lesser (CRV is around 1700 mm) and bit shorter in the length as well. BTW Yeti is also as tall (as CRV) just that it looks smaller due to the length.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks