Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 15:09   #796
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Booked a test drive online and got a reply that launching is in July
Old 12th June 2012, 15:12   #797
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Whatever I have heard, the plan is to launch the base kind of versions to keep the prices down to start with it will be a 5 speed gearbox
But dont they already have the six speed gear box doing the duty in the Fluence? Just wish they give the same gear in Duster as well!
Old 12th June 2012, 15:52   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
This page (under Comfort and Safety section) shows two different dash boards. Compare the first and third image. Do you think this is an error in the content or is it by design. I mean is the dash board different across variants? Will it be the same in India?
This is by design and is just a difference in the inserts in various places in the dashboard. The high end variant would have wood finish, while the mid variant might have silver finish inserts, while the base version may have simple black inserts.
Don't know whether they would carry forward the same variations into India, but there is a high possibility of it.
This can give an idea of the difference in the two variants (but this is for Middle East and does not represent the India Duster and this could be the mid and high variants in India, with the lowest variant removing quite a few of these features)
DusterVariants.pdf

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 12th June 2012 at 16:01.
Old 12th June 2012, 16:16   #799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
But dont they already have the six speed gear box doing the duty in the Fluence? Just wish they give the same gear in Duster as well!
I think the dCi85 will come with the Logan/Verito 5 speed while the dCi110 will have the 6 speed manual found on the Fluence.

Incidentally, Renault Palace Orchards (Bangalore dealer) is taking advance bookings at 50k (cancellation penalty of 2.5k). Seems they have already received 25-30 bookings.

Vehicle launch will in July first week when they will also have a display vehicle. Unsure of when they will have a demo vehicle though.

Last edited by itwasntme : 12th June 2012 at 16:20. Reason: Forgot something!
Old 12th June 2012, 18:55   #800
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
@Nilesh: Let us understand that the Duster is not a outright Renault product per-se. It is a vehicle developed to cater to developing markets. So, expect Logan / Verito like fit and finish and not something on the lines of Pulse / Sunny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A very good, insightful post. Well said. It is after all, touted as the worlds cheapest SUV.
There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread with regard to the positioning of the Duster.

There are 2 distinct variants of the Duster internationally. One is sold under the name Dacia and the other as Renault. Both of these cars are completely different.

Where the Dacia is a low cost SUV meant to be the cheapest in the market, the Renault is a much more premium offering.

For example the Dacia Duster has power window switches on the dash to save on wiring till door. Similarly it uses a lot of parts from the Logan like the wing mirrors common for both left and right.

The Renault version does not have these cost cutting measures and is overall targeted in a higher segment. The dash design is completely different, the door pads are designed differently and so are the plastic quality levels.

Renault is getting this higher version into India and not the built to a cost Dacia Duster.

Here's a copy from my earlier post in this thread which shows the difference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I found this pic of the interiors. The Renault Duster's interiors are actually different from the Dacia Duster's. The Dacia has Logan type dash whereas the Renault dash looks much more premium. Let's hope Renault don't get the Dacia type interiors and opt for the far better looking Renault one.

Here's a pic comparing the 2:
Attachment 880352

Notice above how the Renault interiors has power window switches on the door pads whereas in the Dacia it's in the centre console for cost cutting.

More pics of the Renault dash:
Attachment 880353
Attachment 880354

Here's a good gallery I found online:
Renault Duster: Confira detalhes da parte interna com fotos em alta resolução | CARPLACE - Portal do Automóvel

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th June 2012 at 18:58.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 18:55   #801
BHPian

Aah...! That makes sense! Anticipating that the Dci85 & dci110 would have a greater price diference than the usual lac or so. Only time will tell thouh!
Old 12th June 2012, 19:02   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Incidentally, Renault Palace Orchards (Bangalore dealer) is taking advance bookings at 50k (cancellation penalty of 2.5k).
To have a penalty seems to be a bad practice. Is this common amongst other brands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
This is by design and is just a difference in the inserts in various places in the dashboard.
The reason i pointed this out was that in the first image i don't see a pocket on the passenger side of the dashboard (like we see in the third image).
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 19:04   #803
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread with regard to the positioning of the Duster.

There are 2 distinct variants of the Duster internationally. One is sold under the name Dacia and the other as Renault. Both of these cars are completely different.

Where the Dacia is a low cost SUV meant to be the cheapest in the market, the Renault is a much more premium offering.

For example the Dacia Duster has power window switches on the dash to save on wiring till door. Similarly it uses a lot of parts from the Logan like the wing mirrors common for both left and right.

The Renault version does not have these cost cutting measures and is overall targeted in a higher segment. The dash design is completely different, the door pads are designed differently and so are the plastic quality levels.

Renault is getting this higher version into India and not the built to a cost Dacia Duster.

Here's a copy from my earlier post in this thread which shows the difference:
Good set of corrections and clarifications. Thanks!
Old 12th June 2012, 19:07   #804
BHPian

I think the penalty clause is from the dealer itself. I also had booked duster last month and on the condition that if for any reason I decide to cancel, I should be given full refund. Afterall, we still don't have all the info needed to help purchase decision.

Of late there is a feeling inside me that duster without a 4x4 wouldn't appeal so much. It will be like a grown up hatch. Imagine if someone willing to compromise on the interior comfort and styling of sedans like verna/city for a 4x2 duster. C'mon renault, launch the full line up from the word GO. What's stopping you?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th June 2012 at 19:53. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option or multiquote option if posting within 30mins.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:12   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I also had booked duster last month and on the condition that if for any reason I decide to cancel, I should be given full refund.
Good call. I am surprised that customers are booking Duster with this fine clause in place. We still don't have a clear picture on pricing, specs, variants.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:12   #806
BHPian

All in all I am bracing for a unpleasant surprise from Renault on pricing. It is to be seen at what ever the cost, how much VFM it is.
@Shankar; I can tell you one thing, you did good buying Yeti for sure, for your senses and expectations I feel Duster would have been a disappointment. I mean there is no competition between the two here, but money spent on Yeti is well spent.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 19:35   #807
BHPian

Just spoke with renault customer care person and was informed about the "core" features of the duster:
1) Plush leather upholstery
2) audio and phone controls on steering
3) Music system with aux/usb and bluetooth feature and 4 speakers
4) dual airbags
5) ABS, EBD and EBA (I think.. don't remember)

don't seem bad and that basic as i thought... should be a good compact SUV. can be an alternative to scorpio and safari for sure.

Is this thing going to come with 4x4 option or just 4x2? and what engine is expected. couldn't get the answer from the customer care lady about that. and its not clear yet as some say 90bhp and some say 110bhp. so does anyone have the correct info?

The only negative point i can think of here is the lack of space. saw the youtube videos from the links posted in previous posts and it looks really compact SUV. certainly not a spacious vehicle. so XUV still got an edge with space even if you discount its feature laden tech. insides of the duster is only as spacious as probably a C segment sedan like maybe a fiesta, city etc. but I think that the 4x4 option (if at all it is offered in the indian spec car) might be dusters edge over XUV as after looking some videos on youtube i think boy can this car go anywhere or what! it looks like a true blue SUV (not a serious offroader though like Thar... but thats not what people are usually looking for in an SUV anyways..) as XUV is still only offered only in FWD variant and for the AWD variant, don't think its as good as a proper 4x4.

other area where the XUV has an edge is its imposing looks and character. it looks impressive on road. where as i think duster will be smaller in comparison.

only if it was offered with more roomy and spacious interiors and had it been a little bigger and badder and imposing...

Last edited by magikrider : 12th June 2012 at 19:44.
Old 12th June 2012, 21:02   #808
BHPian

Now that the launch is so near, if I were a prospective buyer with 10L in hand, if I did not want to buy the Duster, what else can I buy if I am looking for something that has the same spec? (I mean, frugal engine not a 2.2 L gas guzzler, light but not a sedan, something that can handle abuse, urban not a Sumo Taxi)? Well, if I look around the only way would be raise my $$ budget and go for the Yeti. The XUV and Safari are out as they are 2.2 L big engine guys, the sedans are out (as they do not come in 4X4) even the duster currently is not, but will follow. I would rule out the Sumo, Bolero etc as in the Safety section they only talk about anti roll bar and door side bars. In a sense the placement of the Duster is unique, definitely first mover. Whatever short comings it might have, I guess if I am looking for a "Duster kind of a car", I have only the Duster (not for long until may be the EcoSport). The price bands seems to be manageable, what can hold the free run would be the dealership! July is anyways not far. Any news from MGM visits by our Chennai folks?
Old 12th June 2012, 21:45   #809
BHPian

Looks like Renault is watching the government which may slap a heavy one time tax for new diesel vehicles, before announcing the prices. Just a guess.
Old 12th June 2012, 22:42   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
Now that the launch is so near, if I were a prospective buyer with 10L in hand, if I did not want to buy the Duster, what else can I buy if I am looking for something that has the same spec? (I mean, frugal engine not a 2.2 L gas guzzler, light but not a sedan, something that can handle abuse, urban not a Sumo Taxi)? Well, if I look around the only way would be raise my $$ budget and go for the Yeti. The XUV and Safari are out as they are 2.2 L big engine guys, the sedans are out (as they do not come in 4X4) even the duster currently is not, but will follow. I would rule out the Sumo, Bolero etc as in the Safety section they only talk about anti roll bar and door side bars. In a sense the placement of the Duster is unique, definitely first mover. Whatever short comings it might have, I guess if I am looking for a "Duster kind of a car", I have only the Duster (not for long until may be the EcoSport). The price bands seems to be manageable, what can hold the free run would be the dealership! July is anyways not far. Any news from MGM visits by our Chennai folks?
Absolutely spot on!! Even I am facing the same dilemma. If for some reason I don't like it , what other option I have? Nothing unless I promote myself for yeti
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks