Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2012, 08:40   #811
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Just to think about it, is 4x4 a real issue (relevance wise)? How many Safari and Scorpio 4x4 have sold over the years? For majority of us, 99% of usage is on tarmac where 4wd cannot be employed. So what is the fuss all about? Without the 4wd hardware atleast the vehicle will be lighter and better performance on road!
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 09:31   #812
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Renault may launch Duster SUV in July 2012!

Quote:
Renault’s most anticipated car for India till date is expected to cost just Rs 8 lakh for the base variant.
Quote:
The Duster is Renault’s most awaited car till date and when launched, it will cost about Rs 8-12 lakh. It currently does not have any direct competition – the Duster is bracketed by the Mahindra Scorpio and the Premier Rio, but it looks likely that it will have competition from the mini-Xylo that is currently in works
Quote:
The Duster will be powered by a 1.5-litre dCi diesel putting out 108PS of power and a 1.6-litre petrol engine with around 100PS and 135Nm of torque. However it will be available only with two wheel drive and manual gearbox for now. 4WD and automatic versions will come in later next year
Renault may launch Duster SUV in July 2012 | Latest Autos & Car News | OnCars.in
Old 13th June 2012, 11:13   #813
Senior - BHPian

I have been watching this thread since a long time now. I really regret not checking out the Duster when it was right there in front of me at the Auto Expo 2012. The Corolla replacement has been under debate for well over half a year now. The search started with the able and phenomenal Cruze AT, pitted against the Verna AT and the Laura AT. Obviously, diesel and automatic was a prerequisite.

However, the usage itself has changed a bit, with some frequent long distance trips. Pleasant roads, mostly, but the odd rough patch is a worry, especially for the 320d. As a result, the 3's usage has now gone up to 600+ km a week. Not that I'm complaining, but a reasonably spacious and frugal alternative was sought.

The only biggies under consideration were (are) the Innova (mid variant), XUV and Scorpio AT. The Innova offers no AT and has a lousy, raucous, underpowered engine. The XUV on the other hand is butt ugly has the kind of niggles I am not willing to live with. Mahindra certainly hasn't mastered electronics yet. I'd rather pick a Scorp AT, but this Duster has kept me waiting, and for good reason.

- No 4x4 (absolutely perfect, don't care for it)
- Compact at 4.3m (will fit in my parking space)
- 4/5 seater (perfect, don't need 7 seats)
- Good ground clearance
- Decent looks (love the brown shade)
- Decent equipment list (initial "core features" list is encouraging)
- Decent interior (I am not expecting an Evoque, and I am fine with the Scorp's interiors so why not)
- 110 bhp diesel engine (perfect, doesn't have to rip)
- Basic conveniences (USB, aux, steering controls, electric ORVM adjustments)

Unfortunately:

- No signs of an AT at launch (this is on my wishlist, but I am mentally prepared to buy a Duster MT now)
- Leather interior (it will get hot in the sun on outstation trips, but I can live with it)

When the i20 was bought, the need was for a Corolla hatchback and it does the job fabulously. Essentially, the need now is for a Corolla SUV with good ground clearance and a diesel engine. And this looks like it might fit the bill perfectly. Yes, our 7-year old, 1.7 lac km done Corolla is a benchmark for me

So, Renault, eagerly waiting for the price and a test drive. Price it well and for the first time ever, might just get an unknown, unproven car from a new brand with barely any service coverage around. Just don't do anything stupid and leave out essential equipment, that's all.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 11:33   #814
Senior - BHPian

Just saw two Renault Duster Dci cars. Will upload pics later. They had no camouflaging, no test equipment, one with DL registration another with MH registration.
Old 13th June 2012, 11:57   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Just to think about it, is 4x4 a real issue (relevance wise)? How many Safari and Scorpio 4x4 have sold over the years? For majority of us, 99% of usage is on tarmac where 4wd cannot be employed. So what is the fuss all about? Without the 4wd hardware atleast the vehicle will be lighter and better performance on road!
I agree. Speaking for my self, my usage will be mostly on highway roads. All i need the Duster to do is handle to bad patched with grace. Keep the passengers smiling. I may never need to use 4x4.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:21   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Bang on! The normal city runs and highway runs do not warrant the use of 4X4.

Why not do something like Fiat has been doing? Bring the lowest offering first (Palio 1.2, Punto 75BHP etc) then think of giving the enthusiats model (Palio 1.6, Punto 90 HP, Punto Sports etc)?

Now that govnerment is planning to put addtional taxes on new cars, Duter dci will fall in the big car segment and attract around 2.55L premium. There goes the pricing for toss again! Already there were speculations on the pricing and now this. I am hoping there comes out an alternative to this move of GOI.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:43   #817
BHPian

@ FlyingSpur : Renault does have a AT variant of the Duster, but with a Petrol 2.0L engine...
Old 13th June 2012, 17:19   #818

Yesterday i have gone to Chennai Mount Road Showroom with my enquiry.They confirmed that that Duster will be launched in July 2nd week.
On enquiring wether they have started taking bookings,they declined the same.

Today the executive from the showroom calls up and says that they have started taking the booking withan intial one lakh as cheque which they will not present now and will do it only after the vehical is launched.

Regarding the Model, i was told that there are two variants in Petrol and 3 in diesel.But they are still not aware of the pricing .
Old 13th June 2012, 18:08   #819
BHPian

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-untitled.jpg
Side profile of duster is my favorite.
What everyone here like about Duster.
Please Share
Old 13th June 2012, 18:17   #820
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi
All in all I am bracing for a unpleasant surprise from Renault on pricing. It is to be seen at what ever the cost, how much VFM it is.
@Shankar; I can tell you one thing, you did good buying Yeti for sure, for your senses and expectations I feel Duster would have been a disappointment. I mean there is no competition between the two here, but money spent on Yeti is well spent.
Thank you for your approbation. Yes indeed, I know I was a serious crib-o-logist on the forum about the absolute lack of anything suitable at a fair price etc. i have also cursed the Yeti's size and price and so on in the past. But ultimately there was nothing that suited me as well as the Yeti did and I have never felt as good as this in spending close to Rs 2 million on a toy! I am extremely happy with and enjoy using it to the best extent possible. one reason I hurried up a bit was because of that rumour in December that the Government may add this Diesel duty to all Diesel vehicles. Glad I just went for it without dithering!

If silly old Renault India had hurried up and launched Duster first and stupid Koleos afterwards, they might have cornered a lot of customers by now and indeed may have even been forced to ramp up on distribution and service as well!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th June 2012 at 18:19.
Old 13th June 2012, 18:30   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
But dont they already have the six speed gear box doing the duty in the Fluence? Just wish they give the same gear in Duster as well!
It would be good if they do use it however I am sure it would take up the costs high and with the Diesel Vehicle tax looming up I am not sure how they would be able to position it
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 20:57   #822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur
I have been watching this thread since a long time now. I really regret not checking out the Duster when it was right there in front of me at the Auto Expo 2012. The Corolla replacement has been under debate for well over half a year now. The search started with the able and phenomenal Cruze AT, pitted against the Verna AT and the Laura AT. Obviously, diesel and automatic was a prerequisite.

However, the usage itself has changed a bit, with some frequent long distance trips. Pleasant roads, mostly, but the odd rough patch is a worry, especially for the 320d. As a result, the 3's usage has now gone up to 600+ km a week. Not that I'm complaining, but a reasonably spacious and frugal alternative was sought.

The only biggies under consideration were (are) the Innova (mid variant), XUV and Scorpio AT. The Innova offers no AT and has a lousy, raucous, underpowered engine. The XUV on the other hand is butt ugly has the kind of niggles I am not willing to live with. Mahindra certainly hasn't mastered electronics yet. I'd rather pick a Scorp AT, but this Duster has kept me waiting, and for good reason.

- No 4x4 (absolutely perfect, don't care for it)
- Compact at 4.3m (will fit in my parking space)
- 4/5 seater (perfect, don't need 7 seats)
- Good ground clearance
- Decent looks (love the brown shade)
- Decent equipment list (initial "core features" list is encouraging)
- Decent interior (I am not expecting an Evoque, and I am fine with the Scorp's interiors so why not)
- 110 bhp diesel engine (perfect, doesn't have to rip)
- Basic conveniences (USB, aux, steering controls, electric ORVM adjustments)

Unfortunately:

- No signs of an AT at launch (this is on my wishlist, but I am mentally prepared to buy a Duster MT now)
- Leather interior (it will get hot in the sun on outstation trips, but I can live with
Hi Flying Spur,
I am not too sure whether the Duster may fit all these requirements too well and may seem quite tacky. The 110 ps version on the Duster may touch 13 lacs on road and instead of the duster you could consider also consider the 4x2 Yeti which would be maybe 1 lac more expensive but has much better interiors and better finish and is also available in the brown colour you like.
I know that a lot of people here are waiting for the Duster, but by the time it gets launched the diesel car tax may get slapped on and raise prices by around 2 lacs so people who could have bought a Yeti now at the same price would get a Duster in the same price. This is how people unfriendly our politicos are and their only interest is raising taxes and then embezzling the money rather than addressing the core issue of corruption.

The diesel tax is imminent and I would recommend to everyone to prepone their decisions if possible as the impact will be quite substantial. I had also saved some 80k when I bought my Laura in Feb end before the budget and subsequently the excise rates were hiked. The current proposed diesel tax is supposed to be much higher.

Regards
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 22:16   #823
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth

Hi Flying Spur,
I am not too sure whether the Duster may fit all these requirements too well and may seem quite tacky. The 110 ps version on the Duster may touch 13 lacs on road and instead of the duster you could consider also consider the 4x2 Yeti which would be maybe 1 lac more expensive but has much better interiors and better finish and is also available in the brown colour you like.
I know that a lot of people here are waiting for the Duster, but by the time it gets launched the diesel car tax may get slapped on and raise prices by around 2 lacs so people who could have bought a Yeti now at the same price would get a Duster in the same price. This is how people unfriendly our politicos are and their only interest is raising taxes and then embezzling the money rather than addressing the core issue of corruption.

The diesel tax is imminent and I would recommend to everyone to prepone their decisions if possible as the impact will be quite substantial. I had also saved some 80k when I bought my Laura in Feb end before the budget and subsequently the excise rates were hiked. The current proposed diesel tax is supposed to be much higher.

Regards
Behemoth
I wholeheartedly endorse Behemoth's post. I also got the wind put up me last year when the first grumblings on diesel tax started. i couldnt wait for the Duster and anyway the Renault fellows were being too vague about it. i dont think much has changed on that front at least!
So I went and plonked for the Yeti last Dec. Got a nice discount etc- all the details are on the various Yeti threads, should you care to peer at them. It is 6 months into ownership and I think it may well be my happiest vehicle decision made in this life. Whatever said and done, the Duster simply wont come anywhere close to what the Yeti offers.
Old 13th June 2012, 22:38   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
you could consider also consider the 4x2 Yeti which would be maybe 1 lac more expensive
If Yeti is just 1 lac more or even 2 lacs more, then there is no contest. But the difference could be more like 3-4 lacs.
Old 13th June 2012, 22:45   #825
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned earlier, spotted these two Duster cars at Kolkata. As you can see no camouflaging, no test equipment. Only thing that looked out of place were the drivers one of them (in the lead car) was wearing a casual wear jacket, given that Kolkata is at its hottest now, however both cars were idling with AC on.

Excuse the quality as they were captured on cellphone

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-13062012680.jpg

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-13062012681.jpg

Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-13062012682.jpg
1100D is offline   (27) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed