Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 14:06   #1066
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

The price difference between the 85PS & 110PS is going to be the key here. If the price difference is <1L, then they might cannibalize each other. Its a good move to introduce the 110 from the start since this will be the best for people who have a mental issue with the 85 no. Am just hoping that they have built a sturdy & reliable car, any niggles and it might go the Safari way.
Old 21st June 2012, 14:12   #1067
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Renault India has started a guessing game for the Pricing & the Mileage on their FB page.
a la XUV ?
https://www.facebook.com/Renault.co....1375285?ref=ts

Oh & btw.. The 85ps base may start from something around 7L+
Old 21st June 2012, 14:14   #1068
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Sounds ominous. What exactly is wrong with the (Dacia) Duster?
I think what he means is when a person knows that the Renault Duster is actually the Dacia Duster which is one of the cheapest SUV's world wide known for spartan features and basic offering the person may shy away from the Renault Duster.

I don't know why that should be since Renault have significantly improved the Duster for India with features not found in other countries.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 14:26   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounds ominous. What exactly is wrong with the (Dacia) Duster?
There is nothing wrong with Duster, or other Dacia product that we are exposed to (Logan). But, these aren't considered premium in our market, & the Logan with Mahindra (Verito) name, & the same bulletproof reliability isn't exactly setting charts on fire.

With the level of information a city dweller has, (Dacia Duster sold as cheapest SUV in UK) & other factors, & the lack of 4X4 for a person living in countryside (the Southern Plateau that I'm referring to) it may not appeal to masses. Few bargain hunters (read those going for VFM option) may go for, but those numbers would barely be enough to sustain Renault, nothing major impact as far as I believe.
Old 21st June 2012, 14:27   #1070
BHPian

^^ who says that?
Apart from the addition of the optional Rear AC, and the deletion of multiple items ; there is no difference in the Duster here than what is available in Russia, Brazil , Mid East...

The old switchgear/plastics are from the Dacia Duster when it was launched in 2009/10 and have already received the refresh. You can check that out in the numerous Youtube videos.
Old 21st June 2012, 14:52   #1071
SRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX
Renault India has started a guessing game for the Pricing & the Mileage on their FB page.
a la XUV ?
https://www.facebook.com/Renault.co....1375285?ref=ts

Oh & btw.. The 85ps base may start from something around 7L+
Every where I see, it says 8L for the base deisel. When you say 7L, is this just a guess?? Would run to showroom and book one if the price you have mentioned is correct. :-)
Old 21st June 2012, 15:21   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
There is nothing wrong with Duster, or other Dacia product that we are exposed to (Logan). But, these aren't considered premium in our market, & the Logan with Mahindra (Verito) name, & the same bulletproof reliability isn't exactly setting charts on fire.

With the level of information a city dweller has, (Dacia Duster sold as cheapest SUV in UK) & other factors, & the lack of 4X4 for a person living in countryside (the Southern Plateau that I'm referring to) it may not appeal to masses. Few bargain hunters (read those going for VFM option) may go for, but those numbers would barely be enough to sustain Renault, nothing major impact as far as I believe.
Horses for courses, really. The Logan was built to be a low cost people moving sedan, and it's done admirably in that regard. I don't think too many people would hold the Logan against Renault in any way, given its proven reliability, space and practicality. With the launch of Fluence and Koleos (and the Pulse to a certain extent) and by handing Logan off to M&M, Renault have made an effort to move to a more "premium" image, which works in favour of the Duster. Will the Logan legacy hamper sales? I don't think so, but... we shall see (good comparative case study - the Scorpio effect on brand M&M, repeated again with the XUV).

Regarding the Duster's utilitarian/ non-premium image in foreign lands, I doubt that would have any impact on its sales whatsover. Non-premium models abroad have done very well in India, and some have even been perceived as "premium" here. Cases in point, cars like Corolla/Civic/Octavia - strictly economy class in the US, UK, Europe, middle east etc, but premium sedans in India

Last edited by razor4077 : 21st June 2012 at 15:25.
Old 21st June 2012, 16:09   #1073
Senior - BHPian

duster pre launch video

ms001 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 16:10   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Horses for courses, really. The Logan was built to be a low cost people moving sedan, and it's done admirably in that regard. I don't think too many people would hold the Logan against Renault in any way, given its proven reliability, space and practicality. With the launch of Fluence and Koleos (and the Pulse to a certain extent) and by handing Logan off to M&M, Renault have made an effort to move to a more "premium" image, which works in favour of the Duster. Will the Logan legacy hamper sales? I don't think so, but... we shall see (good comparative case study - the Scorpio effect on brand M&M, repeated again with the XUV).

Regarding the Duster's utilitarian/ non-premium image in foreign lands, I doubt that would have any impact on its sales whatsover. Non-premium models abroad have done very well in India, and some have even been perceived as "premium" here. Cases in point, cars like Corolla/Civic/Octavia - strictly economy class in the US, UK, Europe, middle east etc, but premium sedans in India
Exactly
I am looking at Duster for the same reasons... it will be very reliable as its based on proven Logan platform.
Also, This will be one very comfortable ride, just like Logan. I love SUVs with soft suspension. They just eat all the bad roads and the ride is like floating.
Old 21st June 2012, 16:19   #1075
Distinguished - BHPian

Logan was a wonderful product built for a purpose, but positioning it wrong spoiled the chances for the Logan in India. I hope Renault considers the Logan blunder and does not position it at a premium, if it comes at a good price point there is nothing to beat it but if they get overambitious with the pricing people may not pick it over XUV or Innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
Exactly
I am looking at Duster for the same reasons... it will be very reliable as its based on proven Logan platform.
Also, This will be one very comfortable ride, just like Logan. I love SUVs with soft suspension. They just eat all the bad roads and the ride is like floating.
Being a monocoque the Duster may not have eat the bad roads kind of long travel soft suspension, this quality is reserved for chassis based proper SUVs with suspension travel running into feet rather than inches. But expect it to have a car like flat composed ride with very safe and predictable handling.

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st June 2012 at 21:24. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 16:20   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Every where I see, it says 8L for the base deisel. When you say 7L, is this just a guess?? Would run to showroom and book one if the price you have mentioned is correct. :-)
No concrete information, but you need to play that game on FB to find out !
Old 21st June 2012, 16:31   #1077
Senior - BHPian

The 85 BHP with option pack - 10L ex-showroom
Old 21st June 2012, 17:16   #1078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I think what he means is when a person knows that the Renault Duster is actually the Dacia Duster which is one of the cheapest SUV's world wide known for spartan features and basic offering the person may shy away from the Renault Duster.

I don't know why that should be since Renault have significantly improved the Duster for India with features not found in other countries.
But it still doesn't come with Airbags or ABS. I know, I'm talking about the petrol Duster. But still! that's just utter blasphemy. For a car that will eventually cost nearly 9 lakhs on the road in Bangalore, I'd certainly want Airbags and ABS.
Old 21st June 2012, 17:34   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
That is way too much!
Old 21st June 2012, 17:44   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
This will make it ~12L OTR Bangalore. Thats too much for a 85 BHP car.
Instead you can get a top end Rapid with its fine 1.6L Diesel.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed